Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Miscreant

@Patser Thursday, this week. I'll definitely have a look under the car for that bulge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Sorry, I meant When? As in when they'll actually get deliveries in of cars people have ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Great stuff. Will be interested to see how you get on. Very happy with my PHEV but if I get the right deal on an EV I will make the jump. Similar to yourself, we keep only one car.

The MG4 reviews I have seen have been very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Anyone any idea will the MG4 will hold its value compared let's sat an ID3 or something similar. Also on the batteries... how long does anyone think they will last ? Lastly can a towbar be attached easily or is it something you need to say if you order it from a dealer who has then has to say to MG ?

• Advertisement

It's anecdotal and very small numbers, but a few 'rejected' cars in UK have gone back on 2nd hand sale with serious mark UPS, up to £5k sterling extra due to wait times and demand

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

With the size of current batteries it's more likely to be recovered at the car's end of life and used for stationary purposes than it is to be replaced whilst the car is still on the road.

In most cases mentioned they were demo cars, but 'rejected' could cover a lot of bases - no longer wanted/needed/afforded after waiting a few months from ordering for example

In relation to your question on whether the MG4 is likely to hold its value, EVs I'm general have done exceptionally well in holding their value to date. @unkel has covered this a number of times on here.

Specifically, on your question relating to other EVs like the ID3, in my view, all the signs are that an MG4 sold in 2023 will hold its value very well. From a UK review it appears that MG have priced it reasonably low to gain market share and traction (similar to VW and early ID3s). Therefore you can see them increasing the price in future or at very least lowering the spec to save costs. It is an excellent value EV.

If you can put up with the risk of early edition teething issues then it would appear to me to be a smart purchase. I would be tempted to purchase one but herself has her sights set elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Going for a test drive on the excite model on Friday in galway. Never driven electric before so looking forward to it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you can while test driving try turn in cruise control and see if car will stay in lane reliably without touching the steering wheel. I use this on my EV regularly on motorway trips and it reduces driving stress. The mg4 may be less stable or drift from right edge to left edge of lane. I could not get the finglas demo unit to stay in lane at all, there is normally a minimum speed, but I could not get it to work at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think value-holding will all be down to public perception of build quality, just like in ICE cars. Toyota/Ford/Nissan always quite good, Renault/Citroen/Opel not so much

It will take a few more years to get the same opinions of EVs to the public, but early signs would be "made in china = bad" and "made in Europe = good"

The other argument is that even if an EV doesn't hold its value the savings on fuel should negate that

I'll give it a try for sure. The roads around here are busy so there may not be an opportunity.

So, you can fit a towbar. MG are looking to supply & fit them for around the €1500 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I hope you enjoy it. Evs are great craic to drive

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had a test drive in Finglas during the week, the car was as reported in all the reviews

Was told that orders in before the end of November should arrive in March/April

Hopefully the few reported software niggles and the oil leak and under tray bulge will be sorted on those cars because the MG4 seems to be great value for money

I can't see this being a significant factor. People will look at brand rather than made in China/not made in China. Citroen, Opel and Renault are all built in Europe. You could also put Fiat in the same category, again built in Europe.

The Tesla Model Ys arriving in Feb/March are coming from China with better build quality than the earlier (and even current) ones from the US.

I am sure a sales tactic from the more established brands will be to use the 'poor quality as made in China' line to encourage sale of their product versus an MG.

However, as MG will be making a big effort with the MG4 to establish themselves (including matching Kia's 7 year warranty), they will be ensuring everything is good with the first batch of cars to each market.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HS99

Test drove the MG4 on the 23rd and swapped my deposit over from the ZS Exclusive that I had ordered in January as I had no time frame for delivery... Looked and felt like a savage car especially for the price.

Was in Linders and was given an estimate of March/April for delivery but said I could wait till July to take delivery if I wanted to.

I also said I'd take it in blue, red or black with the preference being blue 😊

So, I meant to put this up last Thursday, but life got in the way 🙂

I took the MG4 for a quick spin and found it very impressive. Space-wise, it is just right for my needs so that was one tick mark done. The car drives very well and is comfortable over lumps and bumps. It has a surprising turn of speed as well, which I found a pleasant surprise (although it did not seem as quick as the Kona I had for few days about 2 years ago).

For those asking about the bulge to the undertray; I had a look and there was none visible on the test car. The salesperson was not aware of it as an issue but did mention the overfilling of the diff and subsequent leak (which is an easy fix). The software seemed to function just fine for the time I had, with one quirk..... the driver alertness warning was on permanently (shown as a coffee cup in the instrument cluster), but this did not affect the car in any way. Apparently, there is a new software update coming in the next month.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to test the Cruise Control or lane assist as the route and traffic conditions did not allow.

The car will take a towbar, and this can be supplied & fitted by MG for around the €1500 mark. It will only be rated for a small trailer, so I imagine this will either be for 500kg or perhaps 750kg max... There will be no towing of horse boxes with this car.

2 cables will be included with the car: the granny lead and a type 2. If you want the V2L adapter, you will have to pay an extra €300 from MG but I imagine there may be cheaper options out there.

Deliveries are some time after March if you order now, with the possibility that it could be kept over until July (as per the post above from HS99). I would be wary of this in case the Government remove or reduce the current grant, as I know there was a comment during the budget that this may happen.

Overall, I was impressed enough to put my money on the table for the Exclusive trim. I got a good trade in estimate for my PHEV and my usage pattern is now sufficient to take the full EV plunge. The Excite trim would probably have been enough if there was a list of paid options to add but there are a couple of extra toys on the Exclusive that I can't be without. The only choice you get on the car is the trim and the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭horse7

Surprised to hear about 2 cables be supplied as dealer told me he didn't know. Also dealer said he wouldn't give a trade in price till 4 or 5 weeks before new car was due in.

• Advertisement

He mentioned both cables for sure.

The trade in its an estimate, based on my rough usage pattern for the car and the projected mileage at trade in. It could change when the time comes.

I presume it was the Finglas dealership,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A bit off topic but I'm fairly sure the Model Y's are being manufactured in Germany, hence their price tag being comparable to Model 3's

Perception is what will determine resale value. MG and ORA are chinese. Tesla are seen as Yanks in that manner

Tesla Has Made 3 Million Cars, Elon Musk Says, With a Third Produced in China | Barron's.15 Aug 2022.

Model Ys are being manufactured in both China and Germany. From all indications so far, the ones due here in Feb/March will be coming from China not Berlin. Yes, Tesla are seen as a US brand.

You are correct on perception determining resale value. However, it is way too simplistic to say: made in china = poor resale value. There is more to it than that and I do believe the MG4 sold in Ireland in 2023 will hold its value very well for the reasons I have outlined.

That's strange, my understanding is the Model Y wasn't going to be subject to import duties due to being manufactured in Germany, hence the price tag

I think as more EV's are manufactured in the years to come and second hand prices settle the EV's you buy today will generally be worth very little and any value you get will be from the big makes, not the chinese brands

NCAP Crash tests uploaded to YouTube today: https://youtu.be/dHJ0bHYuF24

Here are the official results from NCAP: Official MG 4 Electric 2022 safety rating (euroncap.com)

Over on the Model Y forum that was the working theory for a period in October/Early November. However, the general consensus now is that the Model Ys coming to Ireland will be from the Shanghai plant. Have a deposit on one and it really doesn't make a difference to me whether it comes from Shanghai or Berlin. Build quality from either plant is said to be better than the US built models. The biggest concern in the Model Y forum you will see is whether it will come with the upgraded softer suspension (it has now also been confirmed that both plants are now fitting the new suspension). So no drawback on them being manufactured in Shanghai. I understand that Model Ys going to Australia and NZ are also being built in Shanghai.

Neither of us know for certain, but you could well be right that eventually EVs built today will be worth little in future. That however, will be more likely due to big leaps in technology rather than where the EVs are built.

Given that there is still a relatively small number of new EVs being sold and that the public charger situation can really only improve, there will be a big demand for second hand EVs.

Also, you have to factor in that given the level of change and disruption that new technology brings, there will be winners and losers resulting in a different landscape. The Chinese appear to be well ahead of Europe and much of the rest of Asia when it comes to EVs. BYD for example are the 'go to' in battery tech and are now starting to manufacture very attractive EVs. BYD appears to be the company best equipped to rival Tesla but traditional manufacturers said to be still way off as they are struggling to produce EVs and sell them at a sufficient margin. Like myself, you probably once owned a Nokia phone and thought it was brilliant, but Nokia would unlikely to be anywhere near the top of most people's list now when looking for a smart phone.

For those more cautious people who don't like change (and for example think Toyota, VW or Ford are great because they always had one and/or parents also had that brand), they are unlikely to be looking at purchasing an EV anytime soon anyway. So won't matter whether they tend to stick to the European or established brands.

My prediction is the MG4 will do for MG what the Kia E-Niro did for Kia. The one caveat I would put in there is that rising interest rates may impact on this, if interest rates become very high, the price of a used (or new) car will have to drop as people won't be able to afford them. This will however impact on all new cars sold and not just on MG4s. Funnily enough, MG4s may even fair better in this scenario as they are more affordable than say an ID3 to begin with and therefore are potentially more attractive in the used market during recession.

Apologies for the long post, attempted to keep it as relevant as possible to the future value of an MG4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wow that's very good actually. Good to see. Well done to MG for making a safe and affordable modern electric car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement