Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

If anyone remembers : a pre-fame Charlie Brooker had a satirical webpage called TV Go Home which was a Radio Times (with correct typeface) type listing of imagined television programs.

One such reality program was "Daily Mail Island", where the inhabitants of a desert island have access only to the Daily Mail and their behaviour degenerates into throwing unmarried mothers off a cliff and conversing only in sarcastic questions.

We all thought it was a joke but in fact it was a chilling portent of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They were nasty long before Brexit. I remember them going after "benefits cheats" in and around 2006/8 - getting their readers to hate on sections of society is one of their main tricks.

Dire polling for the Tories - looks like Sunak is doing nothing to boost them with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its gas that the Tories still lead on "representing the UK internationally"

People are such utter simpletons if they can't see that the Tories have absolutely destroyed the UKs reputation internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It appears that Sunak got no bounce at all. And no bounce from historically low numbers,after the most catastrophic PM in history.

No surprising, Sunak seems to have no actual ideas or his own agenda and the theme from the very start is that he is beholden to others and prepared to accept anything to avoid confrontation - hardly a surprise as that is the very quality that got him the CX job in the first place.

So where to now for the Tories? Sunak is not going to save them, but can anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I suppose that the numbers didn't sink any lower might be some cold comfort? Though if the Mail can't díck the numbers, one wonders where that leaves the real world stats.

I was reading that one Conservative MP has said in private that Sunak would make a good project manager or civil servant but is not cut out for being PM. It's probably a fair assessment - he's incredibly inexperienced in frontline politics....only became an MP in 2015, only entered the Cabinet in 2019 and had never even stood for any elected position before becoming an MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,425 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, is the short answer.

The Tories have been four terms in government; even if they were a good government they would by now have exhausted their ideas and their energy, and the electorate would see it clearly. And they haven't been a good government; their signature policy for the last two terms has been Brexit, which is an inherently bad policy which was always divisive and which is now alienating even its own supporters.

Like all governments that have run out of, or that never had, credible policy ideas they try to distract with emotive positions on on matters of marginal relevance — the "migrant" "invasion"; the "war on woke"; etc. This'll be about as successful in distracting from Tory dysfunction as John Major's "back to basics" campaign of social conservatism was in averting the Great Trouncing of 1997.

It's true that Sunak is an uninspiring leader, but it doesn't follow that the Tory party could field a more inspiring one. Under Johnson, the party was ruthlessly purged of anyone with excessive conscience, excessive brain or excessive competence, lest they make Johnson look bad; this leave a gap of credible senior figures which will take at least a (political) generation* to repair.

It may take longer, since there is some evidence that up-and-coming bright Tories are deserting the party. The current government is a write-off, though it will probably limp along for another two years reinforcing the idea that the Conservatives are a malicious, ungovernable rabble. There will then follow one, but more probably two, terms of Labour government. So we're looking at twelve years or more before a young, ambitious Tory can aspire to ministerial office, and hope to achieve anything useful or noteworthy. That may be too much of a gamble for many people. A number of promising Tories who might have been seen as the coming generation have already announced that they will not be standing at the next election; there are likely to be equally promising but less prominent people who have simply refrained from becoming involved in the dysfunctional arsewit carnival that is the Tory party in Brexit Britain.

*[A political generation is about 7 years.]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Plenty of Tories in recent days have said they're not standing at the next election, writing is on the wall so they're jumping before they're pushed (by the electorate). Including supposed great young hopes in the red wall like Dehenna Davison. Probably lined up for GBeebies or Talk TV or a column in the Sun.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

The release of census data today in the UK, showing that ‘white British’ is now the minority in birmingham as well as London and Leicester, had really spooked those on the right. The DT had to close down its comments because of the level of racism and vitriol on display. It’s not the fault of the Tories but they’re getting blamed. It’s another thing that’s going to result in their utter annihilation in 2024.

• Advertisement

Big focus being put on the decline in christianity (still the largest group) and further increase in muslims (still a way off distant 3rd). Little mention of an even bigger increase in no religion in 2nd and fast catching christianity.

But I suppose the truth that people who for generations were " a la carte" christians are not atheist is far less headline grabbing than christians being replaced by muslims.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd be very interested to see a more rigorous definition "Christian" applied, ie how many attend Church once or more a month. I think that that figure is very much inflated.

Anyway, it feels like 2015 again. The Tories are happy to dip into Xenophobia now and again for votes knowing full well that FPTP makes opposition all but impossible. The problem is that hyping it up for this long has created an expectation of results and all we've gotten is performative cruelty. They need another Brexit but actually delivering on migration robs them of another vote winner so here we are.

I think it's their fault as they were more than happy to pin the open border tail on the Labour donkey instead of governing in a meaningful manner. Those chickens have just come home to roost. Farage's Reform party won't knock them off their perch but he has no reason to stand down for them either. He's openly disparaging them on Twitter where he was happy to tacitly support Johnson in 2019:

This time, there's no Brexit holding the den of vipers together.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Without looking for the figures, because I can't be arsed, I'd imagine Birmingham has significantly over 50% White British + White Irish + White Other. If not already solidly over 50% British + Irish actually.

Should also be noted that many 'non white' people are still 100% British and were born in the UK. These would be your Denise Lewis, Marcus Rashford, Amir Khan and so on. Highlighting skin colour is giving a very misleading impression of the country being full of 'outsiders'.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,425 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Your instinct is sound - the usual rabble-rousers on the right are already conflating "White" and "White British" in their frothings-at-the-mouth on the census returns.

But actually in this instance you'd be wrong; per the 2021 census Birmingham is 48.7% White (42.9% White British; 5.8% other White ethnicities).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Two problems here.

Firstly, the Tory party and the right have been gaslighting this country for at least a decade now. Why would they stop at this?

Secondly, perversely, you cannot legally be Black and English in this country. Black British, yes but Black English? No. It's disgusting that this is somehow still the case.

I do agree with your point, just to be clear.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

"White" people can be very foreign indeed.

White Latins from southern Brazil and Argentina, clans from the Caucasus, Albanians fleeing blood feuds etc. Hardly your typical Brit of yore?

I think that England itself could break up into 2 or 3 countries if/when the UK collapses later this century.

As with the break up of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, many of the nations within Britain may want their own separate countries or self-governing provinces as they increase in population size, political and cultural power.

Doubt the Welsh and Scottish will be the only nations seeking independence and self-determination.

Of course I don't know what the future will be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

But would they be able to afford it? At the end of the day London provides the money after all; what ever break up you do would have a pitiful budget by comparison basically. I could see possibly some more devolved power but I doubt it would go beyond that as well simply because of basic economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Once the NIP is implemented, perhaps in a generation or two, NI and the ROI unite in some way. That's my guess as to the only part of the UK that leaves. The rest will swirly away, the Scots will hem and haw and have referenda and so on, but nothing will change for them, North Sea oil is becoming less and less viable so they'd need money from somewhere.

Plus, with so much of the City leaving to Europe, the income from that service part of the country will dwindle. Just not good expectations for the UK going forward, the economy is shrinking where the rest of the world is coming back. Even gas prices in the US are dropping again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, looking at Irish independence of a century ago, it was not done for economic benefit. There was desperate poverty before and after independence, and it took 50 years before the dire economy began to improve, and a further 25 years before it could reach parity with the UK, mainly because of our entry into the EC/EU.

We did not have, and still do not have, the huge wealth that the UK built up over the last 200 years. Hopefully we will get there before global climate change causes the rise in sea levels that will swamp us.

• Advertisement

I think that this is an abysmal comparison.

The Habsburg empire was an amalgamation of different ethnic groups with no pan-nationalist identity to unify them. Austria was fairly small in said empire while England clearly dominates the UK. There's also strong Unionist identities in Scotland and Wales. 45% of Scots voted to stay in the UK in 2014.

You said "Britain" in your post. There are three nations in Britain: Wales, England and Scotland. Wales and Scotland have separate identities but it's far from clear that they want to leave. Plaid Cymru is much weaker than the SNP. The SNP are a centrist party competing with discredited Labour and Liberal Democratic parties.

As for places like Yorkshire and Cornwall, I'd put this on the same level of gravitas as the People's Republic of Cork. It's just not going to happen. Historical trends have been towards amalgamation of ethnic identities (such as Germany and Italy in the nineteenth century) as opposed to separation.

Ultimately, I don't know what lies ahead. I can't see the UK existing for too much longer for the same reason that Yugoslavia disintegrated - ethnic nationalist sentiment of the dominant population. The English, not unreasonably resent greater per capita spending north of Hardian's wall. If this gets much worse, they may make it harder to justify continued maintenance of the Union.

Time will tell.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

I consider "British" a relatively weak pan-nationalist identity - now, though not in the past obv. - and will only get weaker in the ensuing decades.

The weakness of British identity has created the surge in English nationalism imo.

Also I was posting in light of the demographic ascension of groups like South Asians. They have a coherent culture, language and religion (or 2). They will be a large group in a generation or two. They might want independence or semi-autonomy, especially if the country seems to breaking up anyway.

"Historical trends have been towards amalgamation of ethnic identities (such as Germany and Italy in the nineteenth century) as opposed to separation."

More recently in the 20th century "India" became India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Czechoslovakia became the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

And you yourself have cited the break-up of Yugoslavia.

A lot of South Asians and their British descendants are very proudly British though. Ironically, it may well transpire that the British identity could be buttressed most effectively by immigration from former colonies and dominions.

You are correct with regards to English nationalism. It's nasty and growing. It poses a real threat to the Union. All it needs is a spark to sink said Union.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In the 1950s or so, if you asked a person/man-in-the-street what (s)he was - the reply would be English if they were English, Welsh if they were Welsh, Scottish if they were Scottish, British if they were from the colonies.

British was not a nationality, because Britain was not a nation. [Well, not in the common parlance - even today, the BBC refers to each nation when referring to Wales, Scotland, and England - as in the 'Six Nations' rugby contest].

Most people in Britain are conflicted when deciding their identity - should they be 'English/Scottish/Welsh' or 'British' ?

In my experience Scottish and Welsh people are Scottish/Welsh and also British.

English people think Britain = England

According to the Times today, only 3% of under 25s intend to vote conservative. That’s a remarkable number. Just adds further to the existential crisis facing the party

Baffling, isn't it? I'm rather fond of hurling opprobium at this abomination of a party but it's not entirely composed of venal careerists. There seems to be nobody assertive enough to being damage limitation and adaption for the politics of tomorrow.

I think that housing is the biggest issue. A quarter of Tory MPs are landlords (Source) so of course any sort of movement towards building affordable housing can't be allowed to happen because of NIMBYs, absurd planning regulations and conservation laws, vested interests and corrupt developers.

The Economist have a good article on the subject:

High rents and housing costs prevent people from settling down and starting families. They also hinder businesses as they prevent them from attracting talent. Doubly so with the rise of working from home. So, if people can't settle down and have children then they have no incentive to conserve the status quo, the basic premise of conservatism.

The other problem is that most British people don't actually want growth. Liz Truss stupidly sneered at an apocryphal "anti-growth coalition" but the British people don't want growth, really. Older, wealthier people like things as they are. The last thing they want is large HS2-style projects and more housing. The UK is by no means the only country dealing with this but, freed from the body of EU laws, it's remarkable that nothing has been done.

IIRC, Tim Shipman said that in 2015, the age at which people become more likely to vote Conservative than Labour was 34. In 2019, it was 49. I'm 35. I have no incentive whatsoever to flip blue, Brexit or no Brexit. I just see a group of corrupt old men interspersed with a few vaguely media-friendly women and BAME MPs who care about nothing but self-enrichment and a horde of well-off, southern Tory voters who hold the rest of the country in nothing short of contempt.

H. H. Asquith

What I was saying is that when asked, they would say Welsh or Scottish - not offer British as an answer.

Perhaps on further questions they may admit to being British as well.

Those from the colonies would say British. I have no idea what those descended from those colonial immigrants would say to such a question.

Well ya that's what I meant about the Scottish and Welsh as well.

I have never heard anyone from the "colonies" call themselves British. If they are English born they say English and if not say the country they are from.

• Advertisement

Interestingly your last paragraph is reflected in comment from female 2019 MPs, many of whom are not standing again. They sound utterly disgusted by the party. This from the Times today

“We’ve become a nursing home for the grumpy old boors in the tearoom: Iain Duncan Smith, John Redwood, Edward Leigh, Bill Cash, Christopher Chope. This isn’t a party for the young or aspirational any more,” said another quiet quitter.

……the “Boris babes” I contacted emphasised the working conditions at Westminster as the main factor forcing them and their peers out. One texted a single word: “Abuse.” She later elaborated. “It’s off the scale, both inside and outside parliament.”

Advertisement