Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I doubt the JWS equipment can be moved out in any economically viable way.

It looks like a Photoshop. I don't think Dublin City Brewing has ever existed as a brewery. From the street side it's still boarded up and the signage is now gone. As far as I know the beer has always been brewed at Dundalk Bay or the Netherlands before that.

Yeah, Barrelhead/Hopkins & Hopkins/HopburgH is who I meant. There's a production licence in place for Bow Street and it's all decorated as a brewery. Haven't seen any pics of the inside, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

More likely. The place I mentioned is on Parnell St. and looks like a very slick operation. Not surprised to hear its just good marketing+contract brews.

They gave a load of their friends their beers and asked them to join Untappd and give them five stars. That's the opposite of good marketing.

Well not if the friends actually gave them 5 stars.

Kind of reminds me of dealing with the absolutely odious cnts at Forest Road Brewery. They had sticker, badges and "merch" all over the craft beer scene before any actual beer.

It was about a dozen accounts all with one check-in giving this one beer five stars. It looked extremely and obviously fake.

Yeah, Forest Road seemed to be running a what-not-to-do workshop for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

That's sort of how RR started the McGargle's brand too

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RR started with an IPA that was practically red, made in Burton; and some other stuff that was practically undrinkable. That and the 'never established' date did make it seem like one of the macros had made up a fake craft brand like Cute Hoor later on.

Some turnaround to have the fairly sizable brewery, international distribution and so on now. And putting 2013 on the bottles!

yeah and I remember at the RDS the year after they launched they were lashing out free beer to anyone who went up and had a go at the branding and set up, they seemed so butt-hurt about the feedback

Like a brewery launching and immediately selling longnecks (no other Irish brewery was doing longnecks, and I think Porterhouse had those weird ringpull 330ml bottles) with 4-pack packaging, sample packs and that godawful branding, I even procured a ceramic McGargles tankard around that time, it sets the craft spidey-senses on edge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

And pretty decent beer in fairness, in my very uneducated opinion. But was never a fan of the McGargles branding (but that was still better than some!)

No, you are 100% correct, they make very good beer now - Big Bangin IPA is lovely, and the American Brown in Lidl is always worth picking up, but really the whole range is very consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

8 Degrees had long necks.

I remember the original McGargle's beer, awful stuff. Usually enjoy Rye River now, but did get 2 oxidised cans of their Coastal IPA the other night out of a four pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have that ceramic tankard too. You got a loyalty card for some number of pints, but my local just gave me one as I'd had that many by the time they got them and nobody was arsed with the cards!

I got it at an off licence tasting event I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Any interest in a craft beer of the year poll? Based on your favorite one this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Great idea but probably better to split it up into styles and also do a poll for overall brewer

McGargles also tried to launch in London pretty much straight off the bat. Don't think it got very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Who came up with McGargles as a brand name? Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,049 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Any recommendations for best craft beer subscription boxes? Had the O'Briens one already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

To me, they seemed at the time like businesspeople - finance and marketing - with some money to invest in the next big thing, and they decided craft beer was it. I don't think anybody had ever heard of any of them or their head brewer (if they had one) when they started, and let us not speak of the marketing!

Delighted to have been proved wrong over the intervening years (and ok, they also stopped the hipster marketing) - the beer's not half bad, and it's often the only choice of a craft beer in a country pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just seen this on Facebook.

St. Mel's Brewing Company

After a 9 year rollercoaster ride, the last 3 of which have been particularly challenging we have decided to hang up our mash paddles and move on to other opportunities. This decision has not been taken lightly but we feel it is the right one, for us and our families. We would like to thank our amazing customers, our colleagues in the industry and our suppliers for everything. It has been some journey! Happy Christmas to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Oh dear, hopefully not the first of many but pessimist in me would say there is more to come

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A sad day for them. They had a few decent beers, enjoyed the brown ale and I think they had one or two specials along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Very disappointed to read that about St Mels. Two absolute gents, and some very good beers. Really liked their Brown Ale and Slowburner, and their Helles actually (despite not being a massive lager fan). Never regularly came across the bottles, and was always surprised they didn't move the original 4 core beers into cans when that was the way the market was going.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Good news that ....Always liked the Rye River products ....

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Taken a fancy to Wicklow Wolfe Tundra Tropical...nice citrus taste and a beefy 5.6abv....anybody else tried it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Anyone know when Fidelity might be opening, in the old Dice bar spot?

Passed last week, and still looked a while off. But maybe they are putting in 14 hour days, 7 days a week, to try and have it open before Christmas.

Got an email yesterday saying "soon"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Any good deals on the Porterhouse Renegade or the Atlantean by White Hag, I really like that stuff.

On another note, I'm trying to source cans of kilkenny for xmass, family coming home from abroad and they love the stuff. I tried that o'hara nitro red ale and it was decent enough too much similar to kilkenny except a small can at 440 ml. Does anyone know if there are any places that do deals on 12 or 24 cans of kilkenny instead of having to get 24 cans individually at 3 euro a piece in Supervalu.

Deals on cans have been illegal for nearly two years. You can't sell any alcohol product for a lower price when the customer buys more of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

White Hag do 4 packs for some of their beers, not sure if Atlantean is part of that range. If it's an individual product, like a pre-boxed 4 pack with its own barcode it can have its own price, ie they can charge less than buying 4 cans individually, so maybe keep an eye out for some of those and see if the price is less per can.

Very few full 24 can slabs around of the macro beers around, I imagine with MUP the cost of 24 is just too unappealing. I've seen 15, 18 and 20, but no 24s.

Advertisement