Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Huh ?

The facts from your own post show that all that is keeping the lights on in Germany is coal and gas. They totally shredded their nuclear generation yet it is still generating as much as wind and solar combined.

That chart does not give a breakdown of what is included under biomass, but they also burn wood for electricity generation and it is also widely used for home heating in Germany. So much so that the price for timber and wood pellets in Germany has over doubled this year. Now if you believe, as the E.U. do that both those are carbon neutral I have a nice barely used bridge you might be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I just think it's ridiculous blaming the Greens for not having nuclear when they haven't been in power for more than a couple of years since the tech was available. Same with the state of our public transport, they get blamed for this too. I have no doubt it would be far better if Greens had some power for the last few decades but FFFG only wanted roads and allowed for poor planning nationwide which means we have people commuting from Laois to Dublin etc. which a friend of mine does.

A recent survey would suggest otherwise. Especially among the 18 - 24 year old group where 60% are in favour of nuclear.

The age group from which the Irish Green Party received their highest vote share in the last general election coincidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

agree 100%

A Green Party focusing on their local & national policy’s could probably do very well, there’s heap’s of thing’s they could do right for people I’m sure of it.

but when it comes to global environmental problems it’s like a junior B team going playing inter county hurling, a massive job

what environmental policy’s might work for Ireland or Australia for example, probably ain’t going to work for The Middle East or places in Africa.

I think institutions have an attitude of this worked well in this place so it should work well here also & that’s the problem.

You mean apart from where they have already publicly stated one of the purposes of the GCRR is to open up more land for development and its stated multiple times in the planning documents?

• Advertisement

Sigh, at the risk of repeating myself, there is no need for more urban sprawl in Galway city when there is so much land available for development already, as I've shown which you have chosen to ignore despite throwing a tantrum when I told you to go look for it yourself.

You're being very disingenuous now so I'll leave that particular discussion there.

The GCRR is still due to have its day in court shortly when we'll hear what the next steps are.

The only certainty is there won't be any sign of a ring road for the next 25 years so if you're waiting for that to fix things, well keep waiting. The current version had everything bar the kitchen sink thrown at it to get it approved fast and it still took 9 years from start to approval, so assuming the same again, you're looking at 2031 for approval, then another 5 years for appeals/decisions/appeals/decisions, 2 years for PSC & cabinet approval, 18 months for contractor selection, 1 year for prep, 4 years for construction, so possibly around 2045 is you're lucky

The GTS review has just gone out to tender too so we'll see by this time next year what additional AT & PT measures can be done without needing the GCRR.

My guesses as to what it will contain are something like the following

• No GCRR. The GCRR may keep trundling along, but the GTS will not include it or call it out as being the critical piece. This would align with what happened in Cork and Limerick transportation strategies IIRC
    • Expansion of bus lanes to WDR
    • Tuam Rd bus lane to go all the way to Claregalway (I can hope)
    • A protected bike lane network will become a priority.
    • Removal of all on-street parking
    • Road diets at junctions to enforce slower speeds to make it safer for all users
    • Provision of ramps at junctions to slow motorists
    • Expanded permeability
    • Full P&R provision
    • Higher frequency bus timetable on all routes, aiming for <10 min frequency
    • Greater provision of bike hire schemes and bike parking
    • 30k limit in the city

This would be in addition to the Cross City Link, the Dublin Road bus lanes, the Salon Weir bridge, commuter rail, bus connects and other projects already in motion.

As can be seen by the Canal Cordon reports that DCC do every year, its possible to move more people through sustainable modes than by cars and decrease the volume of cars at a steady rate year on year.

There was a recent nonsense post on one of the more militant turf cutter group pages on facebook. It did the rounds on various social media channels to such an extent that the Journal decided to do a fact check against the nonsense claims in it.

Makes for an entertaining read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Another example of the mess being created by the incompetent greens, take a read of a the link below, its the personal experience of one person who is trying to do the right thing for themselves by installing some solar panels to offset costs, he has been ignored by the greens who are only interested in the shambles of a grant system that they preside over and that lines the pockets of their cronies and hangers on. The price gouging has now reached epic proportions and I implore everybody to reject these green solar grants until a more equitable and cost friendly system is in place for citizens.Its an outright scandal and a dereliction of duty by the the green party that there is VAT on renewable products for the homeowner.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058273876/renewable-hardware-zero-vat-could-be-charged#latest

Isn't VAT and its application controlled by the Dept of Finance? I'm pretty sure it is but maybe you know better but I'm just thinking back to the recent announcement of removal of VAT from newspapers and it came from Pascal Donohues desk

Either way, I'd fully support zero VAT on stuff like that as well as the likes of insulation, heat pumps, e-bikes, cargo bikes and bikes in general. If there's VAT on PT tickets, I'd support dumping that too. Where to make up the shortfall though?

Geez we agree on something DC, I'm not well, I'm going for a lie down.😴

ps, the GP have got their way on other issues, they could force this if the will was there, its the time to do it.Shortfall could be made up by proper tax on EVS(which only the well off can afford)earlier than planned.

• Advertisement

I assume you got the grant and was ripped of by the installer, I got 1.5 Kwh today on a 5Kwp system which was partially self installed for a total spend of c.4.5k, I installed it because I'm a tight bastard, expected payback will be 10 years IMO.

Haha, well in fairness, a good idea is a good idea regardless of the source

This will blow your mind further, I agree with your EV tax proposal too. The incentives were needed to allow EV's to get a foothold, but I'm guessing over the next 2-3 years they'll be done away with. They've served their purpose and the money would be better funneled into PT & AT at that point.

Another one that should be over hauled is the bike to work scheme IMHO. You shouldn't need your employer to be involved. A simple rebate system would work better and would open it up to those not in employment or in employers who don't take part in the scheme. In addition, funneling the likes of the EV grants into the likes of cargo bike/e-bike funding would see those take off at a huge rate for those that have longer distances, less ability or need the cargo space. The whole point being to stop the "replace all ICE's with EV's" mantra. It should be more geared to "replace a lot of cars with more sustainable modes" instead.

So yeah, definitely room for improvement

LOL. It`s still stinging I see that Ryan`s hilarious plan, and a plan you actually backed as being credible, of a community of 500 or less being allowed to sell or gift turf being legal whereas for a community of 501 or more it would be illegal.

The greens have not prevented anyone who wishes to use turf to keep themselves and their families warm, and whether you like it or not, they are never going to. All they managed was yet another case of shooting themselves in the foot by wiping out any carbon tax revenue they were receiving from the sale of turf. A comedy sketch writer would be hard pressed to come up with funnier.

Rather than keep highlighting that, anyone with a bit of cop on would just suck it up and hope people eventually forget the fiasco, but please do not let that stop you. I enjoy a good laugh as much as the next person. Even if the joke is aging a bit it can still get a laugh when retold if it is funny enough.

10 years seems long but I am not familiar enough with the economics of home solar but maybe I'm thinking of larger installations. Is that 10 year payback on the current power prices or prices from a year ago? Just wondering what impact the price increases might have had on that

More public transport investment on the way 👍️

Iarnród Éireann has announced that the projects to develop a new station at Moyross, and to allow increased capacity for train services between Limerick’s Colbert Station and Limerick Junction, have commenced.

Following the confirmation by the Department of Transport last month that Moyross Station will be progressed under the Pathfinder Programme, Iarnród Eireann has confirmed that Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, has been appointed as multi-disciplinary consultants for both schemes. The projects are funded by the National Transport Authority, as part of Project Ireland 2040, and facilitate the forthcoming Limerick Shannon Metropolitan Area Transport Strategy (LSMATS).

I feel its a realistic estimate based on a 30cent day unit and 9cent night unit(my current fixed rate) some installers base returns on a 45cent day unit which gives a faster payback time.I have no battery and try to use a high % of production and night time electricity using smart plugs and timers.

Just on the point I was making about replacing a car with a cargo bike, this just popped up on my feed. 5,000km in one year using a e-cargo bike instead of a car

They also announced a massive expansion in their offshore wind plans, going from an initial 11GW to double that at 22GW by 2030 and a total of 70GW by 2050, not to mention the plans for hydrogen that they are working on (no details yet). Plus onshore wind plus solar. Interesting times

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah but its an existence of pure misery.

You simply won't get a critical mass to do that. A personal bike for nipping around locally, fine, but one of these as a genuine alternative to the family car? Not a chance.

Just on the topic of solar, has anyone else spotted reports like this in the media lately. this is the 3rd or 4th one I've seen over the last few months where businesses are installing a plethora of panels

• Advertisement

How the media report on climate change and how much prominence they give to those stories and indeed how often they report them, may all be about to change

NEWS media in Ireland report less frequently on climate change than European outlets on average, politicians examining how the issue is communicated have heard.

They also heard the public was receiving mixed messages on climate with news stories highlighting the harm caused by carbon-intensive products while advertisements promoted those same goods.

The committee is devoting three sessions to the topic between now and Christmas.

It will then present a report to the Government with recommendations on how to improve the communication of climate change and the actions needed to tackle it.

One comment is of particular note given the many comments here that it would match up to

Professor Pete Lunn, head of behavioural research at the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), said it was necessary to “call out” those who sought to create conflict.

“There are powerful groups who have vested interests,” he said.

“You will hear certain representatives and certain lobby groups and certain people who are representing certain industries go on about differences between Dublin and the rest of the country and urban-rural divides on climate change,” he said.

“There's hardly any urban-rural divide on climate change, so there is a real problem of people trying to exploit those kind of differences for self-interest.

“Identify politics and divisions, splitting the country into naysayers and others, is really problematic for trying to solve the problem. It has to feel like we’re acting together.”

Interestingly Sinn Féin senator Lynn Boylan seem to be possibly proposing the banning of certain advertisements like was done with smokes

Good man Pete Nunn, only wants his narrative to be heard, everybody else to be silenced.Democracy me arse.

From the same article

"Interlink Ireland trading as DPD last week announced plans to run all trucks and delivery vans on Hydro treated Vegetable Oil.

The company says while the fuel is currently more expensive than diesel, it will reduce its carbon emissions by over 80%."

Looks like ICE is ok if you have the right fuel, hold yer horses on buying EV's, Audi have a nice range coming soon.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/357434/audi-approves-v6-diesels-use-hydrotreated-vegetable-oil

Well the data seems to be pretty clear on the public attitudes to climate change based on the recent EPA & ESRI surveys.

Its discussed in detail in the article below

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) interviewed over 4,000 people for its study. From this emerged what it calls its ‘Climate Change’s Four Irelands’, where respondents are grouped based on their overall attitudes.

Astonishingly, more than one in three (36%) self-describe as “alarmed”, with a further 48% “concerned”. In total, some 84% of the Irish public clearly believe climate change is a serious problem. One in eight (12%) describe themselves as “cautious”, and just 3% are “doubtful”.

When you consider that even among the “cautious”, almost half believe that the government should make climate action “a high/very high priority”, you come to realise that the people writing to newspapers, posting on Twitter and texting radio programmes claiming that climate change is not an issue represent an absolutely tiny, albeit noisy, group of Irish society. Unfortunately, this group is over-represented within the media itself.

The EPA study slays the notion often stoked up by rural TDs that concern about climate change is some urban middle-class affectation. The study found no difference between urban and rural respondents in their level of concern.

Plus the public trust the science and those communicating it with "around nine in 10 members of the Irish public trust environmental NGOs and the EPA as sources on climate."

Of particular note is how this will reflect on voters when elections come around

This research poses a warning to those politicians who choose to curry favour with special interest groups in seeking to water down climate action; the public is watching, and being identified as a climate laggard or denier is increasingly likely to become an electoral liability.

They also show that more needs to be done on educating the public on the impacts of different activities and choices, for example "Among the young, only one in three were aware that eating a largely plant-based diet was a high-impact behaviour shift, while less than half understood just how bad the impact of long-haul flying was "

Michael O'Leary is certainly concerned

At least he now admits "aviation does have a damaging impact"

I'm guessing he was told by the marketing guys that his previous position wouldn't hold

He expressed concern at calls from governments for "even more levies" on aviation which were made at COP27 at Sharm el-Sheikh

The sooner the better. Aviation and shipping are getting off lightly and until they start facing a hit on their profit margin, there is no incentive to improve

its ok, the electric buses are here, the delivery to Athlone is due shortly. Once completed and all on the road, the existing Athlone buses will move to Carlow to start new town routes there. Yay more public transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Good article, had a read of it there. It's hard the square the circle when it comes to consumerism and environmental issues. The notion that we can arrest climate change while continuing the pursuit of endless economic growth is insanity. As long as we're slaves to capitalism, the climate is toast.

That and aviation, it seems to be untouchable when it comes to climate change. Simply put, we've gotten too used to being able to jet across the world at low prices. That and much of the world is addicted to consumerism. The rise of the Instagram influencer is testament to that. Basically independent professional marketers.

It'll all go belly up eventually, we don't have the stomach to do the necessary.

I think that why so many get riled up when beef farming is pointed to repeatedly in climate change discussions. Is it a major contributer to climate change? Yes. Are there worse offenders? Definitely. But those worse offenders are often granted immunity from their climate change obligations.

Beef farming, in Ireland anyway, is just a symptom of consumerism. The consumer demands dirt cheap beef, therefore the farmers must produce it in vast quantities to keep the price down. And the worst part is, the farmers are being sold a lemon as the processors are taking most of the money. I'm in my early thirties and I remember beef being a luxury food when I was a child, and we weren't impoverished by any means. Steak in particular was luxury. You could eat steak 7 nights a week now on social welfare.

Somethings gotta give

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

The public transport network should be electrified with a very aggressive timeline. It's a no brainer. Doesn't seem to be much coming from goverment about it though. Granted it would cost a lot of money but it would sure as hell have a more positive impact than some of the shite that our tax take is squandered on.

Perhaps the charging infrastructure needed would send our electricity supply grid over the edge.....

• Advertisement

In February 2020, ADL was awarded a contract to supply up to 600 hybrid double-deckers. In July 2021, the NTA signed a framework agreement with BYD-ADL for up to 200 electric solo buses. 

There was also an order for 120,

with another 800 more ordered during this year, all ordered from Wrightbus

The hybrid are already in use in some places, Galway being one that I'm aware of

Advertisement