Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to bridge the period between selling the old car and getting the new car?

Options
  • 29-11-2022 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what are the options for getting a car for temporary use - possibly for months - without actually buying one?

So if you sold your old car, but your new car is months away, what do you do? I don't want to get into buying/selling a temporary car and getting insurance for it, etc...

We'll need a car for full time use as a family car, can't just pop into a GoCar once every couple of days.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Bangernomics thread on this forum worth a look.

Buy wisely with a fresh NCT and you might do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mk7r

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭goochy

No other way round it . U have to buy a cheap car . Maybe where u are buying new car could work out something for you ..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The problem in today's car market is that even cars that pre Covid were cheap are no longer cheap. Even the biggest sheds that need a pile of work done or have no NCT are asking silly money. Cars that normally would have been asking 1k are now 2k+, etc. Have a look how quiet the bangernomics thread is gone these days, there are really no bargains out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I sold my car privately mid August and collected my new car end of Sept because I was offered 3.5k more than any trade in or from any dealer for a straight purchase. I had the option of a lend of a car for the duration so it made decision easy but not everyone has that.

Your options are hire a car, get a lend, buy a cheap car and sell again, get taxis/buses/walk everywhere or postpone the selling of your current car. All will cost a few quid and have a certain level of inconvenience.

Why the need to sell straight away is probably the key question here, will you not be able to sell it as easily when new car arrives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

You'd need to check terms and conditions

But maybe this might work.

You need your insurance but you can just transfer a policy you take out to the new one.....

https://www.nifti.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Thank you. Unfortunately these companies tend to have a minimum lease period, in this case the FAQ says:

How long will my lease be?

The term is 100% your decision. We offer 24, 36 and 48 month leases and the longer the term, the lower the monthly payments.

Zucar sets it as 1 year minimum, other companies that offer cars for longer than 28 days tend to focus on businesses only.

Not sure about Hertz Multi-Month, I'll have to call them to find out as their web site isn't very clear on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Sorry about that.

I thought it was similar to those car subscription services in UK like Onto.

:(.

Personally I'd just buy the nicest condition usable for your needs Toyota you can find at whatever price you are willing to pay.

They are usually less likely to go wrong then most other cars and more likely to easily find a new home when you are finished with it as a result.

When it comes to selling the thing then there's the option of the dealer selling the permanent replacement taking it as a trade if you dont want to be dealing with done deal callers.

It sounds properly messy.

Thank you. Well, if I don't find any remotely affordable monthly subscription I'll have to go down this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

How about not selling your current car until you get the new car.

That would eliminate a lot of stress.

• Advertisement

Borrow a loan of Eamon Ryan's push bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

I've seen this place discussed here before, you might find someone on it who'll be open to some haggling for a long term rental on their spare car.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

You'll have to pry it from his cold steel bike rack.

Thanks for all the input everyone. In the last minute - quite literally - I got a fair trade in value for it, so won't be any gap between old and new. Phew.. 😅

Advertisement