Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

No idea :) Only live since July. And I only learned it would drop off a cliff from a boardsie here. Every day is a school day. We filled everywhere we could on the roof, so I'm glad I have it

@Skidrow, numbers wise our 1.2kWp NW has done 220kWh in 4 months. That's enough to run our house for a month (we are light on power usage). 175kWh of that was up to the end of Sept. So it helps but it's not gonna set the world on fire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Early March

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Question on the merits of locking inverter/battery behind a closed door. I have the invertor and battery in a old boiler house that's built into the side of the house. It's behind a lockable door on the side of the house. I was thinking of putting a lock on the door for security purposes but I'm also thinking what if someone needs access in an emergency?

What's best practices on it?

Thanks,

Mick

I'm in Dublin. I've our 2 inverters on the wall outside the house. I've a Zappi car charger worth a grand beside it. I'm not worried personally. If people are gonna nick stuff that's connected to live wires....I wouldn't have a battery in plain sight though. People have boilers that cost a few grand in sheds. And batteries, tools, bikes...

I added solar to my insurance and there was no premium increase. So I could claim for theft if it happened. Granted if impacts the premium.

Confused... You added to insurance and wasn't any impact to premium?

• Advertisement

Yeah. I added the cost of the install and was no extra cost. I assume it was within the bracket of what my premium covers.

ok did you mention solar in particular or just add 10k etc contents to the house?

I just increased the value of the house with the cost of the installs

I've a question on the grant re solar installation - is an actual BER assessment required? I had someone from my installation company call this morning to do 'safety checks' on the install. He said thats all thats needs for processing the grant paperwork? I'm not to fussed about about a BER if its not required as we not going anywhere any time soon but I was curious how the solar install might have moved us from B3 to a better number..

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭con747

It's all on the SEAI website. https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/solar-electricity-grant/

5. Arrange a post works BER

Before your grant can be processed you must get a post works BER carried out. You must engage a BER assessor to do this.

7. SEAI process the claim

Applications for payment can only be processed once ALL documentation has been uploaded and the post works BER is complete and published by your BER assessor. From this point onwards, please allow between 4 to 6 weeks for payment, with additional time if an inspection is required.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

yeah im just a little confused.. my installer said the checks they did this morning is re grant payout.. but they didnt do a ber assessment.. they did some tests on the installation.. ill get onto them again.. they doing hundreds of installs so they must know what they on about

ok i just got an email back to say they are also scheduling a BER. so all good!

Thanks

Mick

I told them I had solar and the value. Obliged to inform them of major changes that affect the policy. So if roof was damaged in a storm they could easily decline to pay as I hadn't declared an important change. Same for fire.

Cost to resolve would be covered under the insurance. But solar could be the (very unlikely) reason for a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 burgerland

Hi, just looking for some pointers on using SWA for running DC from solar on the house to the inverter in the shed (no room for inverter/future battery in the house). Ill have two strings on the house with 2 tails coming from each into the Projoy fireman's switch in house attic space. From there I want to run the DC over SWA out to the shed (10m run from house)and into the DC isolator next to inverter.

Assuming the outputs from the fireman's switch will be 4mm solar cable on MC4 connections - what is the best way to join this to the SWA. This looks like a tidy solution at 12:04 using rail Wago connectors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Fbts3GL6A.

Is it acceptable to run the 2 strings through 4 core SWA or separated out into 2 x 2core 4mm2 SWA?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Just had our system installed on Wednesday and everything is running great. Even getting some production which was surprising given the weather and date.

I was hoping someone might be able to let me know though if the solarman app can be adjusted or changed to give a real time view of what the inverter is doing as opposed to the delayed refresh?

I know there’s an automation thread here and I’ve read loads of it but frankly most of it is over my head. Really just looking to get live info from the inverter and also perhaps find out how people download or export the data from solarman in their system. I have installed both solarman apps and can get export info from the smart version but perhaps others have a better way?

im going back to watching the panel meter turn again for another hour or two 😂

thanks

Post edited by redmagic68 on

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@redmagic68 - "Just had our system installed on Wednesday and everything is running great. Even getting some production which was surprising given the weather and date."

The days are very short in December and I think there's only 2 hours of sunlight on average. But that doesn't stop the panels from producing. Only on a really terrible dark day with constant rain, will you produce next to nothing. I have a large setup and most days in recent weeks have been quite nice, making about 7-8kWh per day myself at the moment (large 11kwp setup all south facing)

Most people don't know it, but cold is good for PV. That's why PV in Dublin is better than PV in Paris

2.5kw Thursday 7 yesterday and 3 today off an 8.4kwp 50/50 east west split but today and Thursday we had no sun in the northeast. Really dull and cloudy. Can’t wait to see what it does on a decent day.

You’ll get just over 40kWh on your best day next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Closer to 50Kwhr I'd say, if not slightly above it. I get ...

approx 35Kwhr on 5.3Kwp split E/W, so adding approx 60% to the Kwp would push the output to 50Kwhr ballpark. Quite the milestone 50Kwhr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

My Solis inverter seems to be seeing only one battery and not the two. Is this normal? How do you tell the inverter there is a better to talk to?

Battery is a Weco 5K3

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The inverter only talks to one battery, then the batteries talks among themselves.

Don’t know if this is the right thread for this but I’ll stick here and it can be moved.

I have a sofar inverter with two strings. Is it possible to see what each string is producing independently on the inverter or app?

I'd imagine you should be able to see it on the inverter itself, you can on any Solis. Did you browse through the settings?

I can on my Huawei inverter so assume it’s the same on other inverters. I use the web browser on the laptop as much easier to read than on an app on a phone. Can get ‘real-time’ (which is only every 5 mins on Huawei, but close enough) or can get historic. I can't make changes, so means I can't break anything by mistake. It's just reporting.

Yeah gone through the settings both basic advanced. Nothing there. You can see generation, export etc but nothing in relation to individual strings.

I was just being lazy it’s off to google and see what I find.

thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

They may not support it from app/webpage. I've an AlphaESS inverter and their monitoring also does not graph the strings independently. I can see the values if i go to the inverter but obviously not much good as i only get a snapshot in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 burgerland

Would appreciate any comments on this one especially from anyone that has gone down the DIY route.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

My install,( done by an installer though) is a long run, 50-70m to the fireman switch. Used 5 core 6mm².

They used an adaptable box (like a big junction box) to break out from the swa to the singles that go into the fireman switch.

5core because of the 2 strings +cpc.

Swa goes into the isolator beside the inverter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

If I get a 2nd string of 4 panels on my north-east facing roof will I need optimisers on these 4 panels?

Or will all 4+10 panels need optimisers?

Main string 10 panels on roof facing south-west.

Thanks, SK

Advertisement