Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacob Rees-Mogg's awful position on abortion.

Options

Comments

Most people don't want to force women to bring the child to birth though. Only a fringe minority want to impose that on women.

So leaving the law aside for one moment, most people in the middle can - as you say - perfectly empathise with the concern for the fetus even if they wholly support women's reproductive rights. I'm an atheist, so I don't have any of the Christian baggage, and even I can see how life beginning at conception is a perfectly logical position to hold, even if I do not subscribe to that belief myself.

This demonization of that position as intrinsically evil is so unbalanced and disproportionate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is a post of mine from 2018. It took some digging but this was my position then and remains my position now:

There's this movement online of people who just seem to want cruelty and outrage. Anything they think will make people worse off be it covid, climate change, Brexit, Trump, racism, etc they just lap up and propagate. They don't care one whit for anything but getting their jollies. If the anti-choice side argued for more support for single Mums and better education and access to contraceptives, I'd find them easier to sympathise with. But no, it's the usual virtue-signalling and nothing else.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if you are opposed to abortion then you are forcing women to give birth. that is the result of that position.

For the fourth time, I voted in favour of abortion.

you said this

Most people don't want to force women to bring the child to birth though. Only a fringe minority want to impose that on women.

One third of the voting public voted against the amendment. those people voted to force women to give birth. that is not a fringe minority.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The goalpost shifting mentioned by the OP is one instead by the left in their long march to enthone the killing of the unborn as one of their communial sacrements. In Britain, even making the sign of the cross near an abortion facility is enough to trigger legal sanctions which shows the mealy mouthed nature of the discussion of rights is shorthand for their removal of liberties from others, be it the right to protest or the right to life of the unborn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mogg is just a scumbag toff, Simon Kuper from the ft has some interesting take on him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Why do you always seem so bitter? Always jump in to threads, post nonsense then run

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

I once heard someone describe Mogg as a "haunted, Victorian pencil" and its very apt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

There is something oddly fanatical about their approach to the topic. Some of worst threads on the history of boards have to be the 8th amendment threads. The defensiveness and the rabidness of all the pro abortion posters was off the charts, the hostility to any dissent at all was almost unbelievable. Abortion is truly a sacred cow to them, and what an odd sacred cow considering what abortion leads to. They are genuinely all of the belief that opposition to abortion is a genuine evil, the kind of view that only a monster could hold.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

@Manach 'which shows the mealy mouthed nature of the discussion of rights is shorthand for their removal of liberties from others'

Every law which grants a "right" creates concomitant restrictions. The language of "rights" in public discourse tends to obscure this.

Though the repeal of the eight amendment was only four years ago, there is now an explicit anti-natal ideology that has arisen in the meantime from mainstream environmentalism.

I find this to be very true of the anti-choice side. Don't care about anything but virtue-signalling, bigotry and cruelty.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Funny how you complain about ‘the woke’ forcing others to live their lives as they see it and yet here you are defending anti-choice knobs whose very position would force women to live their lives the way he wants to, all based on a magic book.

It amazes me everytime this debate props up. The people whinging that you can’t say anything anymore take the side of someone who, if it were up to him, wouldn’t let women have their own bodily autonomy.

So yes, I will demonise someone who holds such abhorrent views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Ah yes those poor anti abortion victims being attacked on here.

Calling out nonsense is not hostility. The victim card didn't work then it won't work now

Care to name some of these pro abortion posters? I've only ever seen pro choice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

'There have been upper class English Catholics since the Reformation when some nobles refused to change their religion. Its touched on in "Brideshead Revisited".....

I don't know Mogg's lineage except his father was editor of the London Times?'

He's actually of Irish catholic (via America) origin, I'm afraid to say. His father, William Rees-Mogg, former editor of The Times was a Catholic, probably inherited from his mother whose name was Beatrice Warren and came from a wealthy New York "Irish Catholic" family. How far back her Irish ancestry went I don't really know, but it's clear the Catholic strain in the family originated at some point from these shores.

Mind you, the English can keep him. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 26,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He is just in a mood cause Rashford had a great game last night.

As for Mogg he believes in money. I don't he he believes a quarter of what he says on Brexit or abortion or whatever. Like Johnson its all just part of an act. A Downton Abbey cosplay which sadly works on some in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Brexit ..... Moved his company out of the UK

Abortion, won't somebody think of the children... Voted against free school meals for those same children.

It's all about Money, Power and Control. Always is, always was.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

How dare you besmirch the name of someone who is anti-choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Who promised you "the left" (or anyone else) were going to be "empathetic" to streaky performative Toff d*ckheads like Mogg? You were reading from the wrong picture-book.

Sometimes a c*ckhead is a c*ckhead and it's best to link arms in harmony and call him such.

Koombaya.

• Advertisement

Ridiculing those in power is a very important part of British culture. That includes satire and making fun of appearances.

The real point that that poster was making is that it's fine to espouse genocidal views of transgender people, praise white supremacists and refer to BAME people as cargo but not to question or ridicule a conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the problem for you is that you are in no position to demonise anyone as the behaviours you call others out on you are often as or even more guilty of on other issues.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I agree for once. I am supportive oh abortion rights. But not as a form of contraception outside of rape and incest.

spare us "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" nonsense. you dont get to decide who can make judgements about the opinions of others. if you were to apply your logic then you shouldn't have posted that at all.

It's not ridicule, it's hate.

And just to back that up, here's what you said at the inception of the thread:

Disgusting, vile human being. Believes in cruelty, material gain and absolutely nothing else. Even for a Tory, he's disgusting.

The very definition of a parasite.

Call that light-hearted ridicule all you want, everyone else identifies it for what it is: blind hatred.

That said, I'm unsurprised. I've always said that much of the modern far-left want to hate as many people as possible for the fewest number of reasons. They're always on the lookout for the next person to hate. It also demonstrates that the people who hate upon right-wing figures don't have any cogent arguments to back themselves up, so they resort to personal abuse, hate, and ad hominems.

Today it's Jacob Rees-Mogg. Tomorrow it will be someone else, ad infinitum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It’s often said that conservatives view those on the left as simply wrong where as those on the left ( more the far left ) view conservatives as evil

Agreed.

I have far more respect for Jacob Rees-Mogg (even though I disagree with his views on abortion).

He would be all too happy to engage with and debate those on the other side. Yet all he receives is mindless abuse, the kind of which is peppered throughout this thread, some of which I have already quoted (above).

It does remind me of that hysterical meme that made the rounds over the past number of years - where an emotional reaction to someone is elevated above reasonably engaging with the situation or subject matter at hand.

And it goes like this:

I judge people by their actions, not honeyed words. Rees-Mogg's true principles are there for all to see. No amount of edgy memes alters this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I don’t like Mogg but even the thread title “ awful position “ is so terribly intolerant

there is no such thing as an “ awful position “

Advertisement