Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

🤣🤣

Im guilty of inflaming that once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

I’ve had about 10 BMWs now, most of which bought new, 3, 5, 6 and latest being an 8 series, wife has a Kia EV6. I’ve also been messed around by BMW (see previous posts) and am pissed off about the current situation, whatever about the lack of customer service at the dealerships which varies from dealer to dealer regardless of brand, I’ve no doubt the cars are still far more premium than Kia/Hyundai etc. The EV6 is great, full of tech etc and enjoyable to drive, but there’s still something about the materials used and build quality in BMW (and other premium brands) that justify their premium tag in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

In my opinion BMW Ireland and their dealers destroyed the brand in Ireland for a huge amount of loyal fans.

They chose to focus on profit over scale which is their right but they destroyed the loyalty of the people actually buying their cars.   

The dealers gouging on trade in values and all round poor customer service at the dealer level and at the BMW Ireland level.   Again if something goes wrong on your new 100k plus car, don't really care attitude. We will get to it, you are just a number mentality despite some people myself included spending 200k plus every 3 years on cars. 

They pushed money into trying to target a new younger audience with PCPs deals, branded content with ambassadors in the Irish Times of all places as opposed to focusing on their existing customers base.  

The result, sales down 9% this year, half of BMW Ireland employees are gone, when you don't have scale you don't need as many employees at the BMW Ireland level.  Shot themselves in the foot the staff with that strategy, didn't they.

If Merc grow again same as this year or BMW continues to drop sales next year Merc will overtake them and BMW will sit behind Audi and Merc on sales but look at our profit margins on those sales they will say. Yeah but for how long? Given the range of cars and like for like model life cycle of the cars that is a disgrace.  A complete failure in the market.  How the BMW UK masters aren't on them for this I don't know.

As someone who loved BMWs from a young age and bought them new like confetti, I actually hate the brand and dealer network which is big word to say.

Post edited by tvr on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I know we’re going off topic on the subject of how the dealers are treating buyers but are the drop in sales not attributable to less factory supply?

the guy I’m dealing with says bmw and bmw ireland have become a nightmare to deal with in the last couple of years. He maintains that they could sell more new cars if they could only get them.

I think it is an excuse to be honest that they sell internally to keep BMW off their backs. Every brand has been hit with factory supply issues.

They have chosen profit margins over scale, which means fewer cars. It's a deliberate strategy at the BMW Ireland level. Lower volume but higher margins or least the story they are selling.

It's all optics.

Same with the BMW Ireland membership club or subscription thing whatever that was. Again poor strategy and execution.

What do they do in Santry all day at BMW Ireland. Lets sponsors a few more Triathlons and order our management cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Every brand has been hit by supply issues...but every brand is also raising prices and extending waiting times, not just for electric cars. EVs from all manufacturers are facing significant delays this year:

Beyond that, BMW have been caught in this supply delay issue right at the worst time, which is the ramping up phase of production of new models combined with a huge surge in EV demand. It's a perfect shitstorm.

It's nothing to do with BMW Ireland either, I bought a used car off Bavarian in Belfast recently and they're saying the exact same thing.

What BMW Ireland could be doing a lot better is communicating and being honest, but sure when has a car dealer ever been either of those things.

The price rises are now on the configurator, so the basic i4 is now the bones of 70k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I wonder how many people who ordered this year will be charged new prices when their vehicles deliver in the new year...

Well, my dealer tells me BMW haven’t told them definitely whether current orders are price protected or not despite the fact they previously told them they were. He said he hopes to have clarity by the end of the week.

I have told him that if I’m asked for another 4K they can keep the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 davewalshucc

Ya, same here. Dealer knows it’s the limit of my budget, esp since I’m going to be shelling out another 1200€ for auto dip lights and adaptive cruise control. All very vague at the mo re: price. Didn’t even get a receipt for my booking deposit. Polestar will be approx 10k less like for like, Tesla the same and there’s an Enyaq coupe RS coming fully for approx 65k. I’m sure he’ll curse me for not ordering more spec if he is left with it, but you have to draw the line somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If the Enyaq RS is €65k then it's the smaller battery and probably basic spec? A 77kWh RWD iv80 with a few options is €70k.

True, doubt the RS coupe will come in 60kw. Spoke to the dealer in July as they weren’t (and still not) officially launched. Presume it will be more than the top spec Enyaq so prob 70k also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Today is D-day, supposed to be collecting the car later today…revenue are down at moment so they are having issue getting it registered.

But just to throw a curve ball, got a call from the owner of dealership there. They were contacted by BMW Ireland about my letter of complaint about my experience which I sent on Tuesday.

Owner told BMW Ireland that he agreed with absolutely everything I said in the email and he left it with them to see if they will come back with something.

Hes adamant it’s BMW Germany dictating that the cars must be registered this year and that they are only enforcing it for the electric cars…and even said they are doing it because they can with the demand. Says it’s BMW Germany that will just assign the car to someone else if it’s refused by customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

BMW will need to get the EVs registered to help comply/minimise the payments to breach the manufacturer fleet CO2 quota.

Sounds like a plausible explanation, why on earth would they just not tell us this at least rather than letting us feel like we’re been screwed over for no reason than just because they can in current climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Most likely this is above the paygrade of the dealers / they have no idea about this.

Did you pick up your car today in the end Rodge?

Whatever you do get it in writing. Confirm whatever the dealer said with BMW Ireland, then if needs be confirm it as well with Germany.

I found half the time one of them is making it up as they go along.

Sure did. It was dark so haven’t taken any proper snaps, will hopefully get around to giving it a full detailing on Sunday and take a few then.

Its a joy to drive, surprisingly quite in the cabin…road noise is very low considering no engine humming away. The adaptive suspension also really does a job on making it very smooth to drive (comparing to s line A6 with standard suspension)…defo feel less bumps than the 191A6.

And boy is the instant acceleration fun! (Might be divorced by wknd if wife is a passenger again)

Only complaint so far is the rear reversing camera seemed a little grainy, it was dark so will be interesting to see what it’s like in daylight. Don’t believe the A6 one is grainy in dark.

I won’t say anything about range until I’ve gotten over playing with the acceleration every 30 seconds and gotten in a more normal driving pattern!

Havent heard anything back from BMW Ireland, wasn’t really expecting anything from them at this stage. They haven’t actually directly replied to to my email, they spoke to dealer though obviously as owner contacted me and told me that the ball is in BMW Irelands court.

Whether I purchase another BMW will depend on how they deal with this. I’m not going to dwell on it. If they come back with something decent to make up for it then they are back as an option in future, if they don’t then grand…will be plenty of other EV options in few years.

As as aside, sales manager told me of the three I4s they got in last week…one person refused it and it was allocated to someone else and gone already.

apologies if this has been covered already but did you get you’re agreed price or the “new price” Rodge? I assume one of the people that declined one of the three I4’s was told of the increased price, or did the sales person elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Tail lights replaced and my wallet 850 lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Love the pic 😄

Could have been a lot worse, well done!

Got it at agreed price. Person that declined it did so because of them not allowing a 231 reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you reject the car what's the alternative? Everything is a 6-12 month wait, unless you find a petrol or diesel of something in stock somewhere?

Couldn't imagine shooting myself in the foot because I might lose a small amount of trade-in on the reg plate in 3 years time...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Corporatemarky

Was around €63/64k c. March 2022 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Corporatemarky

Actually kudos to Hyundai dealer in Blanch. Agreed a deal in March for 222 Ioniq 5, then Hyundai cancelled all cars for remainder of the year, I left deposit with them. Came back in late Sept saying cars def arriving in Dec, and despite price (and finance rate) rise, if committed to it, March price and finance rate would be maintained, and it would be a 231 reg. Def not your BMW experience..

I'm going to maintain radio silence until it arrived. first words out of his mouth in mid Oct when we put everything together was that the car didn't go up in price (he was waiting 10 days to do figures as he was waiting for an email on prices across the board). Agreed a price to change, a little horse trading, then I came back for the upgraded sound system, and he said it will be an extra 1k... but moved it from 112 to 111 production, and that's the last I heard. Promised a mid-Late Jan delivery initially, but it could be earlier now. Like Davy said, I wouldn't freak over a 222 plate, but I would over at 2k price rise. So I'll keep the head down, won't contact him until delivery and hope he doesnt spring the price rise on me!!

well I contacted my sales guy yesterday and he says BMW have still not told them whether my car due start of February will be at the new increased price or is price protected. He says he has eighteen customers affected similarly.

It’s a bit of a joke really at this stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement

Not to worry you guys but I wouldn’t hold much confidence in BMW not screwing you over with price increases in new year after the BS they fed me about sorting something out with car reg and shouldn’t be an issue!

Hopefully for your sake they would consider that a step too far and will honour the agreed prices. Would likely annoy a lot more people than the reg date issue I had and potentially be more likely to generate bad publicity.

Some pics as promised.

Post edited by rodge123 on

Advertisement