Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Messi acting like a child there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think Hennessy is only one, not that it'll impact tonight

Gas stats. 24 shots for arg, 3 for Poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Saudis score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That is it for Mexico

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Poor Mexico, feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

That’s it. Mexico out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Mexico out 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Alright forget all that chatter about yellow cards and drawing lots...

That’s that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's Poland definitely through. 2-1 in the Saudi Arabia v Mexico game.

That's that anyway, Poland through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Saudi's kill Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Mexico a better team than Poland. I feel sorry for them.

Both teams look more bothered here than Poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

two more goals for Saudi please 😅

Holy **** - just realised, if Mexico score, they go back level on GD, but ahead on Goals Scored!

<edit> Nevermind, all over.

Slow bicycle race group this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Always makes me chuckle how commentators make out as if this stuff is rocket science

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Gutted for Mexico, sometimes you don’t get what you deserve. Pitiful Poland get thru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Poland so blessed. They were awful tonight. Did they have an attempt on goal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That’s a sickener, the Saudi goal actually changed nothing for Mexico as one more goal would’ve put them through on GS, but it just knocked the stuffing out of them.

Hope Poland take a heavy beating from the French.

Was anyone else secretly hoping it'd end up with a drawing of lots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wouldn't normally praise a guy for going in hard on the goalie but Jimenez showed his bottle at the end there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not a single shot on target.

Argentina had a dozen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Another day, a different vibe, this Poland team could find their legs in next game, that's football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Gutted for Mexico. Stopping the play while Mexico were surging into the box for a ball to the chest was a joke.

Not a prayer. They will be well beaten and go home after the next game.

• Advertisement

Poland should probably just sack the manager after that game I think it would be justified.

I don't know what the mess was I just watched 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Poland a shambles. An absolute mess. They'll be destroyed in the next round.

France will destroy Poland and would've done the same to Mexico so it was much of a muchness really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

More nail-biting and not the outcome that I expected.

There go two big "this-always-happens-at-the-World-Cup" moments.

Poland get out of the group for the first time since 1986 and Mexico fail to reach ‘el quinto partido’ again. This tournament ends their run of 7 consecutive World Cups where they crash out at the last 16. The French must be licking their lips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

What happened with Ben White leaving the England squad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This is the WC, if it was predictable it would be boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Can only guess based on the statement its a bereavement, but doubt anything more will come out anytime soon

Poland get to the top of one table as lewandowski over takes Messi as the player who has walked the most at this world cup.

9.7k to 9.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Why is everyone feeling bad for Mexico - is it because they scored a nice freekick???

They have been just as bad as Poland this tournament. As the poster above said, much of a muchness who got through between Mexico and Poland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was a terrible group and I can't wait for all teams involved to be done.

I am happy for Poland to actually get out of a group though but they deserve no further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

There’s going to be at least one upset in those four fixtures, you can be sure of that.

Most likely would be the USA. Very hard to make a case for Australia but I never would’ve expected them to even get out of their group, so who knows?

Normally I’d give Poland a chance against nearly any team, but their right flank was targeted heavily by Argentina with good success so on paper you’d imagine Mbappé should obliterate them. Still, if they do manage to defend well, Lewandowski can always nick a goal at the other end.

Hard to see past England, and the longer that match stays goalless, the more I’d fancy them. They haven’t gone behind in a match yet, but the first time they do, I expect them to lose. Don’t think that’ll be against Senegal, but I’ll eat my hat if they manage to overturn a defective against any decent team, really don’t think they have it in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mexico's manager sacked straight after the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Portugals Nuno Mendes out of the World Cup with an injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was a bit late to the party catching up on that group C madness. Even the highlights were magic. Bit of a travesty that only two teams qualify. Real pity there is no best 3rd place team. And the Saudi’s were great as well. Poland blessed. Their former Pope must have been looking down on them.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

No fvckin way should 3/4 teams progress.

There needs to be plenty of jeopardy involved in these groups, and 2/4 is probably OK. It'll get messy and convoluted soon enough, with 40 teams in the American world cup. Messy reducing that down to the last 16.

Fair points. I don’t agree with the expansion of the WC to that amount at all. I had forgotten about that.

Ends up as a ‘primary school sports day’ feel to it ‘everyone one wins’ where qualifying is devalued.

Standard of competition weakened and would get more one sided matches. I just feel those group C teams that did not qualify were in very hard luck.

I suppose I was thinking of the 2020 Euros system where there was ‘best third placed’ teams in the last 16. But the Euros only had 24 teams.

Personally I think any more than 32 in a competition proper, is getting silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The expansion will barely even help us qualify too, 16 extra spots but only 3 going to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

He should have been sacked after the 2nd game, he's Argentinean and the conspiracy theorist in me believes he threw the 2nd game against Argentina when it looked like Argentina could be heading out.

Benching your 2 Ajax starters and main goal threat Henry Martin (not even subbing any of them on) in favour of 10 Liga MX players and Lozano was outrageous. He brought them all back in for the last game and Mexico looked much better yesterday. The Mexicans I talked to were going mad about it but it never seemed to get much traction over here.

Poland are a disgrace to international football, always have been with there talent. Mexico vs France is a much better world cup tie. Not any great round of 16 ties yet.

I found a tongue in cheek article (a long read) written by football365. Basically saying we should enjoy these group stages because we won’t have it so good again.

The writer details the history of ‘ off the wall’ World Cup formats.And basically says FIFA are reverting to type finding a way to make a mess of the WC format, as they have done historically. But this time they are doing it to look for more money, under the guise of growing the game globally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement