Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

yeah it seems that the people we deal with on the phone can't offer anything higher than what the "official rate" is that week.

I.e. it might have been 30% a few weeks ago.. then dropped to 14.. now it's 10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

yes I received the same email.

I got a call about a week before my plan was due to expire to offer me a 14% rate... though it seems the max now is 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

Right, i never received any call following that email, guess it’s too late now as my contract already finished:/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

My contact is up in the next fortnight and I'm considering just leaving it open for the time being. Wholesale prices have fallen and that'll start to feed through in the next few months, that might provide more room for providers to offer more enticing promotions. For a saving of 10% is it worth locking in? I suppose it depends on what the break fee from a contract is? Thoughts welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

But wont' the 10% come off the standard rate as it (theoretically) falls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

It will but the bigger percentage you can get off the standard rate the better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Del007

I got an email from electric saying that my discount will stay the same. Is this correct? It's hard to trust these showers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The person I was speaking to last week told me I would lose the discount if I didn't renew but I got the feeling she was trying to get me to renew by claiming that and/or just didn't know what she was talking about based on other things she was saying to me. I got the same email and I think it would be very strange for them to put it in writing that it won't change if you actually do lose the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

You have a 14 day cooling off period to check the terms and cancel if need be. Just make sure to get all correspondence via email to have proof of any promised terms by a rep.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭EDavey20

I'm renting a one bed flat and didnt get the smart meter installed. Should I contact them to get one or just leave it? Not sure how long I will be staying in the flat. Could be a few months or one year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

In my opinion leave it as it is and you are just a tenant so owner should contact them not you.

Well that's the theory, it may be that it's only now that those selling fossil fuel generated electricity are feeling the effects of the rises 12 months ago and that's why they've had to row back on promotions. In another few months, they may be better able to offer the type of promotion we've been used to. Just an uninformed theory, but might be worth a shot!!

My understanding is that you will lose the discount if you haven't signed up for X months, now you might have discounts for dd payments etc, which I believe you won't lose, but all dependent on who your provider is I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

Offered 14% Off but get 8.5% if I don't sign up. May wait

Haven't been able to get through on the EI retention number today.

Although I note Firmus in the north is now passing on reductions in the wholesale gas rate from next month 20% off. Wonder how long we'll have to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Good spot, 20% reduction from an all time high is better than nothing. I have a feeling some suppliers would start reducing from Jan. Small token decreases to follow the market but unlikely to see the standing charge reduce I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone know if good deals available with electric ireland? moving into a new place buy maybe just deals for switchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

Started whole ringing around today as contract up 17th December.

With Energia and was getting 41% discount this time last year but best coming out with now is 10% between all the providers, day night meter Urban. Just wondering if I was to wait and see after my contract is up and see if better discounts become available, how long can I wait to sign up to new provider or what happens if I do nothing? Do I just stay with Energia and they just assign me to a new rate.

Also Energia said my original discount from last year of 41% will stay on my account until Jan due to the way my billing period falls, this sound correct? Had no reason to doubt her really.

Right now either Energia or Flo Gas with €150 welcome credit the 2 best options as this isn't our main residence so less usage than a normal property so even higher rates could be negated with Welcome Credit.

I wrote down what I got quoted everywhere last year and the change in a year would sicken you really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

If you do nothing, you will just stay with energía with no discount. You're not in a contract and free to leave at any moment if a better deal comes along.

The rep isn't wrong but is misleading you (i suspect). The 41% will appear on your bill but will only be applied to energy used before the 17th (pro rata without a smart meter). You will pay full price for everything after.

At 10%, I'd wait it out personally.

I still haven't been able to get through to the retention team and EI and they haven't rung me back or answered email. My contract is now up and I have been transferred to their 8.5% off tariff, although it appears to be 30% above what I used to pay, which was a 30% discount, so I have no idea how they worked that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

@Tazz T did you try ringing them on 01 9025245.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

An 8.5% discount means you're paying 91.5% of the advertised rate. 30% more than your previous rate is: 0.7*1.3 = 0.91

So yes, an 8.5% discount will mean your bill increases approximately 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Usage gone crazy last two days and now it won’t let me log in to my account ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Trying to save a bit of money on my bill.

EI are offering 22% on my Gas -

Unit Price €0.13460 (not incl discount)

Standing Charge €0.4792 per day

Is this a good deal at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Yep...seems better than any other current offers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

I'd suggest ringing Energia again - get confirmation on the 41% discount until January and get the exact date of when your bill is calculated (-they are usually good with sending a reminder for entering a new meter reading). If they confirm the 41% discount will apply until Jan , ask them to make a note of this on your correspondence records. All going well -I'd wait it out until January to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

Thanks for the advise.

Will be next down in property 27/28 Dec so you think be ok holding off until then? Be 10 days out of contract by then but at least I would have an accurate meter reading if staying on or switching to new provider!!

Away all the week before Christmas so want to leave it alone that week so am thinking let contract run out for those 10 days, I assume they will all be working a few days after Christmas. Never know possibly better deals might come out then, although probably unlikely.

And yeah as both you and another poster mentioned I must get confirmation as to how long that 41% discount stays on my account. I wrote her name down anyway so at least I can ask for her.

• Advertisement

Advertisement