Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Was that for your primary residence?

BTW, the discussion on trainee salaries was framed in the period after the crash. It was in response to criticism aimed at a poster (not me) who was starting out around that time and who still doesn't have a house. Here is an example of a poster from 2018 where a poster said they were earning just 18,500 as a trainee in 2013. At 27 they were still only on 35k. At 28, only 36k.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And why is there nothing to rent. When I rented there was 5-6 of us in a three bed house. Most single people who wanted to live by themselves rented bedsits, I rented a bedsit for 3-4 month myself.

Loads of people stayed in ''digs''. I stayed in ''digs'' where there was 4 in a room. Most children going to college would be horrified if they had a share a room unless it was with a girlfriend it boyfriend. Most would not even share a room.with a sibling. FFS they are hardly willing to share a bathroom not to mind a room.

There is no concept of then and now. Back then everyone lived in A rated houses with ensuites attached to every bedroom. Everybody got a house for half nothing at 23-25 years of age with gardens and a Merc parked outside and went out to for pints 4-5 nights a week.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

I am an accountant and you are one of the most attractive borrowers to banks when newly qualified - strong salary growth potential, very low unemployment rate etc. Salaries during qualificaton move up very quickly - probably in final year prior to qualification you would expect to earn 45k. There's no reason for having built up debt to qualify - first year trainee would get 21k. Both property prices and rent costs were on the floor back in 2012.

Yes but there are Central Bank rules. It would not be inconceivable that after say, 4 years of college, and 4 years of a training contract paying rent and living (for example) in Dublin, that you might not have a large deposit saved. If you were aiming to buy a house in a more "middle class" area, then you might be saving your pennies for a few years more trying to hit a moving target.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

It's my primary residence with the wife. The value of the house will do up and down is irrelevant over 50 years living here. However the thoughts of borrowing a large sum of money that could have been 50k or 100k less if I waited 12 months is difficult.

I understand the trainee wage. I finished college in 2012 as a 22 year old grad with no job!. First job was in 2013 as a trainee in Tip earing 18,500 I got a 2.2 grade so no big 4 for me.

2015 offered a job in Dublin on 28k

2016 bump to 32k

2017 job change to 40k

2018 Qualified 55k, every year after that it was a promotion, role change bonus etc all uplifts of 10% or more. An accountant isn't a bad job if you are in the right field. With remote working it's possible to get a London based budget role while still living in Ireland.

If I wasn't settled in Dublin I would have an unbelievable home anywhere in the country and still be on the same salary. I'm never in the office (Dublin). I'm often on daft looking at houses close to my parents. If house prices are depressed but my capacity to borrow is not impacted I'll be really considering buying a property by my parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

Why do you think there's nothing to rent? There's a huge shortage. Everyone in their 20s still shares houses. Even finding a room to rent is very difficult. When did you last have to look? Do you expect couples in their early 30s to share a house?

Do you just willfully ignore the facts that houses and renting is more expensive now than ever before, and much less available? The Celtic tiger had a higher house price to income ratio but rent was much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ok what was it once you passed your fae’s?

I started in 2003/4 where starting salaries were higher but the point remains it’s over 40k very quickly and I didn’t know anyone that was in debt coming out of their training contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭combat14

UK house prices fall more sharply after mortgage costs jump

UK house prices are falling more sharply than expected at the quickest pace since the start of the pandemic after a jump in borrowing costs quelled demand, Nationwide Building Society said.

will be interesting to see of ECB ongoing round of interest rate rises has any affect on demand here next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

We all know why there is a dire shortage of places to rent; we're just not supposed to tell the Emperor that he's in the nip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Balluba

Has any potential buyer got evidence that prices are softening in Ireland?

If you started in 2003/2004 then it is likely that you were in third level at the time of genuine free fees. Free fees was brought in in or around 1997 and for the first few years it was actually free. Later on they started bringing them in by the back door as other fees. Probably around the mid 2000's but I am open to correction. They were still small compared to what other countries pay for education but I'd imagine that they'd have been a bit of a burden on some. AS I mentioned previously on thread, I know someone who finished college around the time of the crash here with multiples of 5 figure debt due to credit which had been thrown at them by the Bank. I think their interest rate was over 10%. I seem to recall them showing me the letters at the time and initial loans had been lower rates but the bank kept offering to roll them over into newer rates at progressively higher interest. There would have been a genuine argument to have that loan thrown out due to predatory lending but I don't think any such guidelines would have been in place. That person started a part time casual role on not much more than minimum wage. The interest on that loan alone would have been a burden

sonyvision above has very generously shared their actual experience. They finished college in 2012 but didn't hit 40k until 2017. Fair play to them because they persevered. The issue you don't see is that you are assuming your experience in 2003 was transferable to someone 10 years later. It wasn't. That's precisely the point people are making. In 2003 you were making X. 10 years later people were making less despite the CPI having increased . You can check the CSO CPI calculator at the link below. It says that a basket that cost 100 Euro in November 2003 would have cost the 2013 trainee on lower nominal wages than you, 117.26 Euro.

It is a common thing that people do not acknowledge actual material advantages they had, instead attributing success wholly to their own efforts or decisions. I'm not saying you didn't work hard or whatever. I'm just pointing out that you have to objectively recognise that you were in a better position starting of in 2003 that you would have been in 2013.

The person whose experience is you shared didn’t train at a big 4 so it’s not relevant to the discussion we were having.

I know people who started in 2013 (I have hired them since) and their earnings are at a higher level than mine were at their age and level of pqe.

Which person? It may surprise you to learn but I actually know more than one person.

One did indeed start training in the big 4 soon after the crash. All was rosy when they sorted out their traineeship but by the time September (or whenever they started) rolled around, the salaries had been cut. And I think the normal bump up into second year was also either done away with or else greatly reduced.

Another different person that I know left college around that time with a fairly large debt hanging over them. They ended up getting into the public sector after about 2 years. They had to go through the panel process and it took a while waiting on panels to open up and then later to be called. They started on the new payscale. Second person didn't qualify for a grant as far as I am aware and paid for their own expenses through college. That example was used to illustrate that some people can indeed have debt when they graduate. Even if they don't subsequently train to be accountants. There is more to life than transcribing receipts into accountancy packages.

You referenced Sony vision , directly.

And normal bump aside once they passed their exams their salary increased and if it didn’t there was still lots of places paying market rates in 2011 - 2014 I moved jobs twice in that period, once forced because my employer was in receivership.

The person who was originally criticised on thread - which started this off - was ACCA. I'm not an accountant but my understanding is that if you go to big 4, you're ACA?

Not necessarily any more actually but in the majority of cases you would be.

anyway I didn’t criticise them but neither would o be interested in hearing any one who qualified out of a big 4 plead the poor mouth.

It's not pleading the poor mouth. sonyvision seems to be sorted but if they said that they still didn't have a house, I wouldn't criticise them for it. I could easily understand a situation where they had some debts to pay off while training, qualified in 2018 and decided to save for a year or two for a deposit to buy in a nice location and then been caught chasing a moving target between covid and other events.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ah lads can we get back to housing please, enough of the accountancy chat.

I'm selling up, sale fell through, have a viewing today so hope to get a bite, will be interesting to see if offers come in and if they do if lower than sale agreed previous price which was above asking. Will keep the thread posted.

The relevance to the thread is that if you have people who have been working for years in what was traditionally understood to be a well-off profession, but they are still living at home with a parents because they can't afford a house, then it is a good indication that something is going to have to give!

I would take it as relevant information, rather than dismissing it as being caused by some imagined penchant for avocados by that individual.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

But its going on pages now, all the points have been made, you will all never agree to disagree so around we go, all the while the thread is derailed for those of us with an actual interest in the current 'softening house market'. That has nothing to do with buying if an accountant 10 years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

How one specific profession is faring now, versus how it has fared in previous years, is not relevant to the housing market. You can't infer anything from it.

Please, please, please give it a rest.

That's fine. If ye can't understand the relevance ye can continue on; The market is perfectly rational and sustainable and will onto continue to go up indefinitely. Any point to the contrary is simply a manifestation of over-indulgence on avocados

(The only reason that that particular point went on so long is that facts were pointed out, then disputed, then evidence for said facts was given.)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Currently bidding on an apartment in Dublin.

Bid on it previously in August and it went sale agreed nearly 10% over the asking price. Sale fell through and it’s back on the market. It was quiet the first couple of weeks for offers and now is back up to what it sold for in August.

It’s bizarre as a much nicer apartment sold in the same block for less just last month.

I also just got a call from my mortgage broker this morning, he’s been absolutely amazing at every stage so far. He said I should start going through the application forms again so he can look as soon as January hits with the 4x lending rule change. He said I should be able to get offers from more banks than previously too. It’s been nice to hear someone upbeat about it all as it’s extremely bleak out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

you are the one still dragging it on

have you found a job yet to distract you?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gaming_needs90

100% wishful thinking here but I wonder if there is element of a rush to go sale agreed on properties before the end of the year? My thinking is to get ahead of the CB lending limit increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No I do not expect couple in there thirties to share rooms. However if occupancies rates have changed over 40years it impacts supply. It impacts it worse if the population is exponential increasing

But people comparing supply and it availability 30+years ago with now are not comparing like for like.

When you add reduced occupancies allow for people renting longer( all through college and longer single Iives) then of course it going to need a much larger supply of rental property. Somebody have to supply it. Maybe the good Fairy can wave her magic wand

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Ive been in the Mandalay Bay and the MGM grand. Both fantastic hotels. What are your own thoughts on this one? How will it effect the housing market in Ireland? Or how will it even effect Blanch.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

God forbid people want higher living standards than the economic backwater the was Ireland 30+ years ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement