Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Ms2011

So they don't have Pitbulls anymore so they get a Cane Corso or Dogo Argentino instead so we ban those so then they get a Dogue de Bordeaux or a Boerboel, all dogs that can do as much damage as a Pitbull...where does it stop?? It stops when there are consequences to the people and not just the animal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I have argued for years and years that certain breeds of dog are just too inherently violent and dangerous to exist in society and this latest horrific attack just reinforces that opinion.

The owner of that dog should face a lengthy prison sentence and certain breeds of dog banned outright in Ireland, with severe criminal penalties for those who wilfully break the law. And that’s just the start.

Of course, there are those who would still defend these vile animals and the right to own them, pretty much all by venal scum whose command of the English language would be less than that of my 8 year old grand niece.

Tough legislation around all aspects of dog ownership in Ireland is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Just because you argued something for years doesn’t make it any less wrong. I’ve two American pit bulls and before that a staffie. All rescues adopted via dogs trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Notice that he’s not facing any charges relating to the dog attack itself. He’s charged with two counts of threats to kill “following” the attack, and unrelated road traffic offences. The dangerous dog legislation in this country is woefully inadequate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The independent and RTE are reporting this dog attacked another child a few days before. What happened with that? Were the garda involved. I don't think we take dangerous dogs and attacks from dogs seriously enough in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LockedBoy

This whole situation is so unbelievably sad and I cannot begin to think what that poor innocent boy and his family are going through.

I do think this highlights the need for stricter dog ownership laws - breed specific legislation will not work and misses the mark. As an example, look at the example of the baby in Dungarvan last year who was killed by a Labrador Jack Russell cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭spookwoman

While I agree with getting a dog from a charity, Dog Charities have a lot to answer for. For example during the lockdown there was numerous articles in the papers with quotes from the likes of Dogs Trust saying how great owning a dog is if you're on your own or need something to get you out etc. They went to the Charities and those Charities that had some cop on didn't give unsuitable people dogs. But that also lead to people going to puppy farms and dog owners that saw an opportunity to make money from their own unneutered animals.

Now the same Charites are complaining about being unindicted with lockdown dogs that are now being handed in because they were not as advertised, that they require a lot of time and training. Many of these dogs are not trained and suffer with separation anxiety. Those same dogs are getting rehomed now, probably only to be handed back to given to another charity.

No charity should be rehoming restricted breeds either.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sigyn

I have spent all my adult life with Bull Breeds, Pit Bulls in particular, they are loyal, smart and very dependable. Many of my friends also live with Pit Bulls. There has never been a problem, at all. I currently have two and they are just like any other dog. My Chihuahua bullies them something fierce and one of them is scared of the cats. I am sick to my back teeth of scumbags and irresponsible owners giving them a bad name over and over. Besides, most people would not recognise a Pit Bull if it sat on their lap. The dog in question was not a Pit Bull either but an American Bulldog.

The knee jerk reaction by politicians to ban breeds usually just has the opposite effect as it attracts the underbelly of society. Owners need to be held responsible and I mean heavy fines and prison. So far it has always been the dogs who paid the price, it's time to use common sense and go for the real root of the problem: idiot owners.

You never hear about the huge amount of Pit Bulls and other Bull Breeds living peacefully in families. That doesn't suit the agenda, especially that of the gutter press.

Homo homini lupus est.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

The amount of ignorance displayed in this thread is astonishing.

Also people using a tragic event to spread their bile across the internet shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

The facts speak for themselves? What facts? List them out for me please, one by one.

What about people who attack dogs, who beat the shít out of them and sometimes kill them? What do they deserve?

Nobody here has argued for the mass murder of pit bulls?

Have you read the thread at all?

But so many people are of no benefit to society.

Approx 400,000 people are murdered every year. That's an awful lot of murderers. Should people be banned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Which breed ? The American xl bully or is there going to be a typical Irish reaction and tarnish all strong dog breeds.

I agree with tight restrictions on certain hybrid breeds of dog and also definitely certain types of owners.

We lost our Rhodesian Ridgeback boy of almost 14 years last month. They are on that list of restricted breeds despite never having attacked a human.

We are now being pressurised by neighbours because we hoped to get another RR puppy next year. This is crazy s#it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Zverklez

Why not adopt a dog from a rescue centre, one that isn't on the restricted breeds list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,543 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People feel entitled to get whatever they want, for aesthetic reasons I guess. Yaay puppy farms.

No good reason to keep any breed alive, they are human creations after all. Especially ones bred for fighting or freakish ones bred for looks that have difficulty breathing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Dogs are not people. I know the term “straw man” gets bandied about willy-nilly on the internet, but this is actually a perfect example of the fallacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Can someone explain why you would want to have that type of dog that is on the dangerous dogs list as a pet? I just don't get why people would risk bringing one into their house endangering all in it but also to endanger everyone else in the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ChickenDish

You mentioned animals and didnt specify dogs!

You should use better context, what would you do if a dog and its owner were on your land and the dog was off the lease, plus the breed in question was a pit bull?

Because we have always owned and loved Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

Our neighbours adopted a rescue small mixed breed adult dog a few months back. He growled a number of times at their kids and then attacked their existing pet. Rescues can be just as volatile.

I still believe we live in a country with freedom of choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - This is an emotive topic for some but everyone needs to stop with the personal insults. It's adding nothing to the discussion but seems to happening more and more on this thread lately

No, because people aren't dogs.

And we effectively "ban" people who murder by placing them in jail; the same kind of jail that pit bulls invariably belong in.

We can decide which animals pose a direct threat to us and our children and implement measures to mitigate against the harm those animals can cause.

Pit bulls are monsters. If they were bred out of existence, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I doubt the child or his family, who had his face torn asunder would have a problem with that. The pit bulls wouldn't even know this process was happening.

Child welfare should always come before animal rights, every time.

What criteria would you use for banning certain breeds.

Large dogs should be banned because of their size ?

Maybe all bull breeds , so along with American xl bully's and pitbulls, English bulldogs , French bulldogs , Staffordshire terriers and some pug breeds will be banned.

Think about what you are suggesting.

I agree 100% that these hybrid breeds should be severely restricted and I feel so sorry for that little boy and his family. But please don't demonise all large and powerful breeds and their owners.

I would be very interested to know the type of owner involved in the 66% pitbull fatalities in USA.

Thank you. Well said. The press are whipping up a so much hype and misinformation on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Max H

There are two very sad things in all of this. Firstly that poor child, this incident should never of happened. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Secondly the knock on effect will impact on responsible dog owners of ALL breeds, and contrary to popular belief, there are responsible dog owners.

Once again It needs to be emphasised

IT WASNT A PITBULL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Breeds should be banned based on a combination of temperament, history of violence/attacks. Not size, as plenty of bigger dogs can pose little to no risk to the public.

In addition to breed bans such as pitbulls, having proper legal penalties to owners of dogs involved in attacks should act as a suitable deterrent to bad owners who let their dogs roam. Of course that would require actual enforcement..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

There was a good write up in 2016 on restricted breeds in Ireland. People can read it here

https://www.thejournal.ie/factcheck-thejournal-ie-dangerous-dogs-restricted-breeds-2775130-May2016/

From the article:

The third and final reference to it was in a study which found that a Rhodesian Ridgeback had been involved in one fatality in the 20-year period between 1979 and 1998 in the US – far fewer than non-restricted breeds like the collie, Labrador retriever, and Saint Bernard.

As for Breed specific legislation, it has been shown to have no effect on number of bites or injuries caused by dogs.

Good write up here

https://www.aspcapro.org/resource/are-breed-specific-laws-effective

In my opinion, banning or restricting certain breeds will do fook all. It's all in the article. There is lot of publications related to BSL and research done to show it has no effect. At some point Italy had whooping 60 breeds on restricted breeds list. Absolute nonsense, impossible to control.

I agree. I suppose I currently feel so emotive about this as our Rhodesian Ridgeback of almost 14 years died last month. That boy was the most loyal , loving and large friend and companion ever and I miss him terribly.

Rhodesian Ridgebacks are only on that list because of size. Because of hype and frenzy around restricted breeds our hopes of ever getting another RR puppy is in tatters , and that makes me angry and very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The third and final reference to it was in a study which found that a Rhodesian Ridgeback had been involved in one fatality in the 20-year period between 1979 and 1998 in the US – far fewer than non-restricted breeds like the collie, Labrador retriever, and Saint Bernard.

The thing about those stats, is how many collies, labradors and saint bernards are there in the US compare to RRs? When measuring attacks you need to look at attacks per capita - thats the stat that matters when determine what breeds are more dangerous than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I know, but it's still only one fatality..

As for per capita numbers, think I've already posted stats earlier on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 just_a_gurl

dog would have to be "worrying" livestock...no definition of "worrying" though...but I am guessing simply walking or trotting through the field minding their own business wouldn't suffice

Very few. I don't have exact figures but definitely a very minority breed. Only started to be recognised in usa in 1955 by akc.

For example there will probably be 1 litter in Ireland next year. Very similar in other countries. There are 32 RR puppies in UK at present.

I imagine a landowner wouldn't be grilled too much about it by the guards. It's a dog not a person after all.

I have seen a dog actively attempting killing sheep before, and it wasn't pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

There’s no point is showing stats that the likes of pit bulls bite less often than say a Jack Russell. If one those attacks a good kick would get rid of it, try doing that with a pit bull

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭dasdog

While I generally don't recommend Facebook there is a Rhodesian Ridgeback Ireland Facebook group which you might want to join.

My friend was utterly heartbroken when hers died. She was asking on that group and adopted a 1.5 year old. The family that owned it didn't realise what they were getting in to when they originally got it and have small kids. When it started getting big they realised they would have to give it up for adoption and it now has a happy home with someone who knows how to handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Again, not a person.

Let it get away to do more damage elsewhere? Your own farm or someone else's?

I'm a member last number of years. Pictures of our Cody up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Presumably you're going to attempt to remove the dog unharmed first and identify it's owner and if it does have to be shot you'll be informing the nearest Garda station within 48 hours, both of which you're obliged to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ChickenDish

For the sake of the general public I hope you do not own a fire arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Not sure what’s your point, we obviously can’t ban all dogs but my point was banning dogs that are dangerous to most people. If that poor 9 year old was attacked by a Jack Russell he wouldn’t be in hospital now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Packrat

The general public and their dogs will be just fine as long as they stay off his private property or are you one of those people who don't believe in private property?

If that's the case, my phone is getting kinda old, can I take yours please. .

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Who and how is gonna decide what dog breeds are dangerous to most people?

There should be the same legislation applying across ALL breeds, doesn't matter the size. Proper enforcement of rules which are already in place. Proper education around the dogs. And all dog owners have to be made responsible for actions of their dogs.

" A better solution to dog bite prevention

Animal control and legislative approaches to protecting a community from dangerous dogs should not be based on breed, but instead on promoting responsible pet ownership and developing methods to rapidly identify and respond to owners whose dogs present an actual risk.

The AVMA recommends the following strategies for dog bite prevention:

Enforcement of generic, non-breed-specific dangerous dog laws, with an emphasis on chronically irresponsible owners

Enforcement of animal control ordinances such as leash laws, by trained animal care and control officers

Prohibition of dog fighting

Encouraging neutering for dogs not intended for breeding

School-based and adult education programs that teach pet selection strategies, pet care and responsibility, and bite prevention"

Source: https://www.avma.org/resources/pet-owners/why-breed-specific-legislation-not-answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Grand so you admit you'd break the law yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement