Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The range displayed in the car is the EPA range and not related to previous driving, i.e. not a GOM as in other EVs.

Whats your kWh/100km? It's a 60kwh battery so assuming you're getting around 16 or so? That's fantastic compared to the competition. Look on threads for Ioniq, EV6, ID4 etc and you'll see they're all up around 20 for any sort of mixed driving and much higher on the motorway.

Looks like the 320 on the motorway is around the limit, in summer you'll probably make it or in winter you'll need a 5min stop or a short destination charge, or drive a bit slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭JOL1

Respectfully suggest you read back through the thread on this and you will be more informed as to the issues, which were debated at length, so much so that a separate discussion forum was created to ring fence the topic from this more general forum . The WLTP testing cycle is a recognised universal standard that facilitates meaningful comparisons across all cars, the conditions of which are based on precise predefined laboratory conditions. The common fallacy is that people expect (and I can understand this) that this is the range they should get in the real world, whereas range is always dependent on multiple variables, many of which are within the control of the driver but also extend to others factors, wind, incline, temperature etc. Another interesting point is that the range that is displayed on your vehicle is not based on WLTP but another metric EPA.

True that the LFP battery has a slightly lower WLTP but it is recommended that the battery can and should be be charged to its max 100% as against the previous battery which has a lower % recommended ...as charging to 100% results in battery degradation ..... Customers who placed an order when TESLA were advertising the higher WLTP (different battery) were alerted to let them know of the variation with an option to proceed or cancel their order and get their nonrefundable deposit refunded.

I am attaching a link which I found to be informative and helpful on the topic. Tests have also been completed to test range until car comes to a complete stop (using all accessible battery energy) and the interesting thing is that once the screen registered 0% the car drove an additional 50km before coming to a stop, which indicates a very prudent approach to battery management by TESLA (thats a whole other debate). Yes that means that when the car screen says 0%, there is still energy in the battery that can be accessed!

Post edited by JOL1 on

In the order raised

1. True, but battery is recommended to be charged to 100% on ongoing basis previous battery recommended not to be charged to 100% on ongoing basis to prevent battery degradation.
    2. Buffer is not 10% and car can be driven when it registers 0%, in effect accessing available energy so it doesn't mean the whole buffer is locked. You can always try for yourself!
    3. All batteries perform suboptimal in cold weather. I don't have knowledge or have not seen data to compare
    4. the in car calculator is not based on WLTP it is on a different metric EPA
    5. Your logic Logic is flawed see 2 & 4 above
    6. No evidence to suggest that stated WLTP does not fully conform with this universal metric, which is carried out in laboratory conditions with predefined standards .
    7. disagree...I can fully understand how mist people, myself included, would initially look at this metric and set their expectations in line with the quoted metric. But that doesn't mean its right to do so. All car manufactures use this metric which makes comparisons possible but similarly most driving patterns will not deliver the WLTP in terms of real world driving. This is not unique to TESLA. Its also a reason why they don't base the incar range metric on WLTP as it would give a very misleading expectation

As Einstein said "keep it as simple as possible but no simpler". and the reality is that this is a complex area with so many variables which is why WLTP is accepted universally where every vehicle goes through an identical test cycle, so customers can easily compare vehicles of a similar type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I too find the range is less than expected. I wasn't expecting WLTP range. Real expectation for me was 350 winter range mixed driving. I have a 70km round commute consisting of around 35km at 60kh/h, 5km at 80km/h and 20km at 100km/h and 10km at 120km/h. Most of this is done with autopilot, so I average below the speed limits when considering a good 15km is spent in slow moving traffic on the m50.

I would definitely be charging after 3 days with the average daily percentage consumption being 25-30%. I haven't paid much attention to this (loving the drive and the car) but I must be getting less than 300km if I were to count 100% to 0% displayed. Maybe....just maybe I would get the 350km in current temperatures if I drove to completely empty.

I do want to say though that I like that TESLA have included a chunky soft buffer. Yes, it will cause some inconvenience and will at times route the car to a charger prematurely, but it also makes sure you don't let the battery deplete too low, which could over the course of a night with a sharp drop in temperatures see the battery being damaged. If you do happen to run to 0% on a drive, you have plenty of range to get to a charger. For the majority of drivers who don't use public chargers from one end of the year to the other, this won't negatively effect them at all.

I have yet to use a Tesla Super Charger, so haven't been routed anywhere yet. I might use one this weekend just to make sure it works for me.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭mun1

My Audi Q4 82kwhr battery ( 77kwh available ) has a realistic range of 290km in cold winter motorway driving . WLTP is 525km . So i take WLTP ratings with a pinch of salt (think less than 5% of the driving is motorway in WLTP tests)

motorway range is about 380km in summer, upto 470km pottering around in summer.

Tesla M3/MY 600kwh efficiency seems to be far better, and much better charging network on motorways. That’s why my next car is an Model Y.

battery in Q4 is 30% bigger than M3/MY but range only seems to be 10-15% more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Last week I had 408kms range on 100/80 roads, 221 M3 RWD. YTD I’m on 137 usage average, I reset one of the trips now to see Winter usage

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s actually a good idea.

Have 2 trip counters.

1. Oct - Apr
    2. May - Sep

Or whatever suits. I’ve noticed the jump in my long term average (March till now) in the last 2/3 weeks from 194 to 204 (M3P).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Worked

Still learning this new language—could someone explain ˋ137 usage average‘ and acronyms breakdown ?

RWD. LFP WLTP ICE GOM EPA and sure there’s a few more

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

137Wh/km. this is how Tesla’s measure/show consumption, most other cars measure kWh/100km, so in the above case 137Wh/km would be 13.7kWh/100km

So if you have a usable battery of 60kWh, divide 137 into 60,000 to get your average range based on average consumption: (437km range based off above numbers…)

my SR+ has a usable battery if about 49kWh, and my average consumption is about 146Wh/km, so my range is around 335km under average conditions… (based on my driving/consumption).

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

Wh/km described nicely above.

LFP is the battery type in the Model 3 SR/RWD.

WLPT is the test cycle used by every car in Europe to measure consumption.

ICE is Internal Combustion Engine so a patrol or diesel car.

GOM is the guessometer. In other words the range the dash displays. It’s a guess!

• Advertisement

Others have given the explanation. I'll give the acronym meaning.

RWD is Rear Wheel Drive

LFP is Lithium Iron Phosphate (iron is Fe in periodic table)

WLTP is Worldwide harmonised Light vehicle Test Procedure

ICE is Internal Combustion Engine

GOM is Guess-O-Meter

EPA is Environmental Protection Agency

Stay Free

Many thanks—still getting used to kWh v mpg😅 and thanks to other responses re acronyms . Need to keep reading this thread v helpful,!

Yeah, except Google might throw up a few odd ones. Better to ask those in the know.

Google says:

LFP = The local field potential (LFP) refers to the electric potential in the extracellular space around neurons.

ICE = frozen water, a brittle transparent crystalline solid.

An ice cream, ice lolly, or portion of water ice.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement

GOM = Grand Old Man

girl over mates

(Ireland) A foolish person

Stay Free

Frozen screen m3. Screen became unresponsive to touch 1 hour into journey. Was able to continue as knew route but bit of pain.. screen reset itself after car left standing for half hour. Wondering is this common problem? - first time it happened .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Hasn't happened to me..Yet.

Believe you can clear it with the two steering wheel buttons reset.

I've had this a few times (though not recently), and a 2 button reset (even while driving) always sorts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Random questions, my screen alerted me that my tyre pressure is too low (between 37 and 39 on all 4), I took delivery in September.

I had them filled yesterday and its now showing 45PSI. I saw 42-45 is recommended with 42 being optimal. Am I okay to leave it at 45? It will probably drop again soon anyway.

45 is fine.. you might feel the bumps a little more, but if we get another reduction in ambient temp they'll probably go down to 43-44..

Mine are all at 41 now as I haven't adjusted them in a few weeks and there was a big temp drop!!

Driving in Germany during the summer during the heatwave (40C) mine were running at 49psi

Yes - didn't want to try it while driving but believe it's possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Any recommendations for good all season tyres that don’t break the bank? It’s looking more and more likely that it is going to get very cold next week so would like to be prepared if it does turn into on of those where we have a long cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I downloaded and installed 2022.40.4.2 last night.

Release notes say that the update is related to Radio Station Logos and to the Driver Door unlock function. Does anybody know what the undocumented updates were.

My journey to work is consistently 17% of battery range. This morning, it was 14%.. I never had a 14% before (charged to 100% overnight so it was an obvious observation)... One journey is too early to draw any conclusive conclusions, but has the latest update unlocked some of the excess buffer??

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

"'Auto' headlights will now illuminate taillights in addition to the daytime running lights."

I like this update, dont know why its not standard on all cars.

Should be standard for sure. I actually tweeted this to Elons Twitter account a year ago!

I used bimmercode to code this feature on all my previous BMW’s. In the i3 and the cars with wing mirror lighting I also coded the external handles and mirror lights to come on in reverse.

Says not relevant in Ireland though..... I wish it was though as I usually always turn on the setting where the DRL's are on as well as the tail lights...

That’s a dope move. Why not applicable in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

In general as long as the peak pressure stays under the maximum rated, printed on the side of the tyre, you are fine (apart from the resulting lack of comfort).

If you don't usually charge to 100% that could be your answer. The Battery Management System (BMS) which is relied on also to calculate range requires readings at various stages of charge to calibrate. To do this successfully it needs to take reliable readings (car in sleep mode for a few hours with Sentry turned off) at the various ends of the spectrum !00%, 50% 0% ) etc. This also explains why some people see a reduction in range as if their charging pattern does not give readings across the entire range 0% to 100% the BMS takes a more prudent approach.

I am attaching a link which some may find helpful in explaining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

An M3 charging question. I charged at one of the ESB high-powered charger a few weeks back but was limited to 25kw charging speed. I went to the same charger yesterday and exactly the same. In both cases the battery was at about 50%. I have charged at another ESB HP charger and super charger several times with no similar restrictions. I logged it with ESB and both time they blamed the cars BMS. Do you think that might be the case or are they fobbing me off? Could it be the high SoC?

Advertisement