Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Poor feckers but they've no business being there - let them die or piss off back to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If they are still shooting at you, they clearly aren't surrendering, it's a trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Sorry missed that. It's now okay to shoot surrendering soldiers?"

What do you think happens in war betimes? What do you think Russian troops do?

They've no business being where they are, let them turn their guns on their own officers and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Usually when one country invades another without warning or provocation, it's the invading country that commits the vast bulk of the war crimes.

It would be a bit like accusing the Polish army of 'war crimes' against Nazis in September 1939 after they were brutally invaded by their neighbours and desperately attempting to defend their homeland.

Should be noted too that the Russian terrorist / mafia state has never actually declared war on Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hilarious the only one piece of war crimes Russia are trying to put on Ukraine is a Russian soldier shooting at Ukrainians first.

After all the evidence of Russias war crimes that the world is witnessing daily this is all Russia can muster up.

What a pathetic bunch and their loyal bots who follow them.

As far as I understand what happened, a larger number of russians were surrendering to a lesser (fewer? Stanis?) number of Ukrainians. A number of russians lay on the ground with a machine gun covering the operation. One russian comes out shooting, committing perfidy. Ukrainians naturally open fire. How are the Ukrainians to know how many more armed russians are left? Whether the unsearched russians are also armed with small arms or explosives?

I sure as sh1t wouldn't be looking for a legal book if someone was coming out shooting at me in a warzone.

The reality is, as far as the "facts" go, that russian got himself and his comrades killed.

The ONLY good thing about the video posted is the beardy guy makes his opinion crystal clear at the start meaning I don't have to waste 16/17 minutes of my life listening to the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've seen very competent shooters hit targets over 800m away with just iron sights, it's common in swiss shooting circles using Sg 550 rifles issued to the military and reserves,

Even better Simo Hayha Finnish sniper who killed over 500 soliders in the winter war without ever using a scope .

Shoot a .22 rifle at the right angle and you in theory could kill a person out to a Mile away .

Ballistics are a funny old game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Fascinating to hear even Olga Skabayeva discussing the prospect of Russia losing and the regime ringleaders and propagandists being put on trial at The Hague:

Years ago, local man stupidly shot at a crow on a phone line across the bay, missed, and the bullet went through a window of the village hall. Just measured it there and it's 1472 meters.

• Advertisement

Thats not the point either unless you are a sniper

surpressing fire is sometimes enough at those ranges either to make the enemy keep their heads down or you send enough bullets in that direction you will hit something or someone.

Those assualt rifles have atleast 2-3 km max range depending on barrel lenght,ballistic coeffient,sectional density of the bullet,wind,temperature etc etc

effective range is «aming range» where you have a higher chance of a hitting while aiming.

Those sights on the assualt rifles are from 1-400 meter iron sights and maybe out to 500 with an aimpoint or other electronic sights

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Putin loses the same possibility is there, I don't think it matters who squashes him like a bug, the reaction will be the same.. I don't think it will be nuclear though, probably a huge attack on Kyiv

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This was pointed out to said poster already a few days back, which they promptly ignored and said the same thing again likely as they have no backbone of their own.

They will likely spend another few days away and be back again with something similar (though they have already plumbed the depths of conspiracy theory loons so it's tough to know where they'll go next, death by mod most likely).

Of course, they have the chance to engage on the whataboutery rather than being either a putinbot or a WUM, it could be either.

They're not getting anywhere near Kyiv again, those tanks are sunk and well out of fuel.

Actually sights on an ak 74 are adjustments from 100 -1000m , most military forces train to shoot out to 600m +

Thats possibe i never shot one,but most western assualt rifles have only from 1-400 meters in 7,62 and 5.56 and with electronic sights maybe out to 500 meter unless you are a DMR with ACOG its out to 800 meters.

Its hard to see a person in a iron sight at 1000 meters unless its surpressing fire

Machineguns however have out to 1000 meters

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

You wouldn't be using a dmr with a acog ,you would want to a variable optic ,the acog is only 4x magnification, great for something like an M4 or similar assault rifle for short to midrange targets ,but for 600 m + you want something with better zoom and windage adjustments ,but for best part of a century military forces have trained to shoot 800m + with iron sights from 5.56 /223 to 7.62 /308 ,

Barrel length and type of bullets come into play a standard short barrel m4 you might struggle to reach out and touch someone compared to someone with an 7.62 AK , which aren't a very accurate rifle in the first place, mainly due to the poor positioning of the iron sights (to close to each other) for proper accuracy but with the right training and practice you can learn to be a effective shooter ,

Training is key

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

The people surrendered and did not re-engage. They were executed when someone else attacked or at least so the interviewee seemed to think.

Who knows. Hopefully they'll stop killing each other.

Ukraine, the second most corrupt country in Europe, which recently fired missiles into Poland but blamed it on Russia is hitting back at Ursula.

I don't think there's any point posting here. Obviously to most sane people an end to a war that has taken 100,000 Ukrainian lives would be a good thing? Not here it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Did you read the OSCE reports from prior to the war highlighting the huge escalation in ceasefire violations? Did you listen to the interview? They talk about the shelling of donbas by Ukraine over many years prior to the war. Is that lies? I'm actually getting lost the two narratives are so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, they are literally like lambs to the slaughter.. the only hope they would have is if they were in a deep enough trench, and they could dig a recess into its walls, so at least the heat sensing cameras would not pick them up. But frozen ground and lack of digging implements means that's practically impossible. Even hiding in the building did not save them. They're in a very bad place. Pity Solovyuv and Margarita could not be kidnapped and brought there.

• Advertisement

My father was a reasonably good shot. One time he bullseyed the target at 1000 yds, likely using the same Parker Hale peep sight I sold a few years ago. This wasn't uncommon for him, which is why everyone was puzzled when his second shot seemingly missed the target completely and why they kept looking. Then someone noticed that the original hole in the centre of the target was ever so slightly ovaled and so it turned out that the second bullet had actually gone through the hole made by the previous one. I believe he always used a borrowed Lee Enfield .303 from stores.

1000 yds is about 914m, so using WW2 vintage equipment, it is quite possible someone could hit those Orcs at 1200m, which is only one third the maximum range.

They re-engaged when shot at by an enemy combatant, it's a fairly simple rule of war concept that you don't seem to be getting, however, we can leave it there as it's clear you either can't or won't understand this and will likely continue playing dumb and quoting conspiracy theorists.

You've been challenged before on what the realistic terms for ending russia's "special operation" look like, have you anything to add to that? Do you think the best thing is for russia to leave Ukraine? Russia can then follow the international norms of seeking a UN peacekeeping mission if it has any issues in the Donbas and Luhansk regions, the number of russians dying will be much much less than if they continue on their current suicidal path.

(Again, pure whataboutery and winding up on your part, hopefully you realise this when you look in a mirror and a soulless automaton looks back as you).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Russia can't claim self defence when it goes around sucker punching people, then gets its butt kicked in response.

You are right, there is no point you posting here, and certainly not when you post 3 outright lies in one post, as you just did. Ciao.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I'd like to see the war end as soon as possible with the minimum further deaths as possible. It would make a lot more people's lives better in the long run.

This thread is a pointless place for any discussion about this awful conflict, the internet in general is when it comes to any emotive subject, because of rabid bias and comical levels of propaganda which is treated as gospel. Anything approaching pro Ukrainian claims is true, negatively about any aspect of their struggle is ridiculous and all mention of Russian claims is automatically lies, any success of theirs is nonsense and all misfortune is hilarious.

It's mostly grotesque cheerleading here peppered with tangential top trumpesque weapons stats discussions by the naively short sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

“Annexation of Ukrainian territories is illegal and a threat to human rights, say OSCE human rights Director and OSCE media freedom Representative”

That is objectively not true, claims about Ukraine are made and challenged daily and misinformation pointed out quickly.

That you only work with misinformation is on you and your questionable moral centre. Try and engage and prove me wrong but you're not off to a good start with the Wallace/Daly impression.

I bet within a few posts you'd be claiming to want peace with russia but failing to outline what terms russia should accept or trying to blame NATO/USA for having the temerity to exist and protect each other from exactly Ukraine's current situation, because you know it will expose your position. I'd be happy to lose that bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's only one person/country keeping this going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭vixdname

Read what I wrote again, I never said the Ukrainians should do to the Russians what the Russians are currently doing to them. What I DID SAY is that I doubt many Ukrainians who are under bombardment from russia would be in any way upset if the same was meted out onto their civilian counterparts in russia.

Trying to uphold the moral high ground is very hard when you're ducking for cover from incoming ordinance Id imagine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement