Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solve the housing problem easily...some solutions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I showed you the Citizen information site already here it is

Edit

The citizen info site link will not load but just open it and search ''short term let''

Here is the journal

Both mention RPZs may e it's an accidental maybe they are both wrong. I have not got 4-5 hours to read through the legislation.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is a good example earlier in the thread of this. Landlord presents themselves as the saviour of the poor people looking for somewhere to live

Later on lets slip that if there were not allowed to do airbnb rentals on their property that they would board it up and let it rot

Not sure what your complaint or sensitivity is. You appear to be able to manage your properties. What is your interest in protecting incompetent ones that can't seem to manage?

Having so many incompetent ones is the reason that rules keep needing to be brought in and tightened. Surely it would make more sense for notamember to sell their property (that they would be unable to manage as a regular rental) to you? no? What would the point be of supporting a system which would facilitate and prop up people to hold onto a scarce asset that they can't actually put to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Yes, I would not be terribly concerned about the threat to let a property rot. Even the dimmest landlord eventually realizes that they need to make a return on investment.

I agree I never represent any LL as the solution. However we have to accept that many properties may only be available for short term leases. Present legislation scares people with these types of properties from leasing. There is a large amount of property tied up like this.

We have tried the stick approach for the last 6+ years. It has failed to stabilize rents and has substantially reduced supply

We have a few postings here that think more repressive legislation will change this trend.

Sorry for thinking that there expert analysis is incorrect.

It's similar with house prices as I said earlier this year I can see a slight correction of 10% over the next 6-18 months. I cannot see a collapse. That is my opinion. In 2014 I like many similar to me forecast prices rising and supply dwindling when other forecast a dead cat bounce.

I take no pleasure in this. It's just a harsh reality.

As a country we have the capability of building 25-30k units a year. These houses can be build by private ( probably hitting 30k) or a mixture of public/ private ( probably 25-27max depending on percentage) but after that we are in the realms of the unknown.

It will take 5+ years for supply to start to really make an impact. In the meantime we need to maximize the supply we have.

Any real repressive legislation will be unpopular with many get out of jail cards. What we have done at present is scare away supply. We really need to encourage it but we have scares it so sh!tless it hard to see what encouragement will work

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Yeah, but don't be too quick to point out that that would not be considered financially sound advice.....you'll be called a "waffler" and told you don't understand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Yeah. My parents are leaving one of their property empty. 50% tax on it and the hassle, not worth it. Also there is no effective tax, to stop this practice. Another woman I know, is doing 90 day air bnb and then rent a room. No chance with the current set up, that she will let out the entire property again...

@Bass Reeves said: "I agree I never represent any LL as the solution."

However you did strongly imply that by saying: "However the problem in this country is LL's running for the hills."

Value for monster here insanely appalling. Just go abroad... I rented a gorgeous apartment in sorrento for e50 a night on Airbnb a few weeks back. Would cost minimum four times that here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭macraignil

The choice to rent out a property long term versus renting it out short term being the only difference between a dysfunctional property market and a functioning one seems a bit delusional to me. I did some searching on the figures you keep referring to of 25,000 Air B&B short term lets being available and found this one with that figure:

The article claims 60% of this nationwide number are entire homes or apartments which means 40% are something else. One of the two times I stayed in an Air B&B rental here in Ireland was in Dublin when I got a birthday present of seeing an Ireland international soccer game and it was equivalent to staying in a regular B&B as it involved staying in a house with the landlord being an elderly couple with the man in need of regular medications from what I could see in the shared living areas of the house. I don't know the full details of the landlord having just met who I assume was his wife but to me it appeared like the extra income from their AirB&B was helping them deal with some serious medical issues. Insisting these types of Air B&B rentals could only be for long term residents is ridiculous and not suited to a couple who would be forced to loose all of their privacy which is still a possibility for them when they don't have guests.

Of the 60% of the listings that are full apartments or houses they may also provide holiday homes or other seasonal use for the owners. The move to introduce new regulations to ban short term lets not only discriminates against the property owners who may well be in need of the extra income but also those wishing to use their short term let like when I wanted to see the game in Dublin that I was given tickets for but would have found a hotel for the game too expensive. You conveniently ignore the impact of thousands of tourists being priced out of visiting somewhere in the country with so many jobs reliant on these people being the customers of various businesses that cater for tourists. You also ignore that the house completion figures in Ireland during the last property boom peaked at nearly 90,000 houses in 2006 and stood at just over 20,000 in 2021. 60% of 25,000 which is what you are really talking about if we cut out the listings that are shared with the owners accommodation is 15,000 houses or apartments which added to the approximate 20,000 house completions in the current dysfunctional residential construction sector is far less than half of the peak production of houses when house prices were still rising before the credit crunch. To me it looks like your suggestion would have a very limited impact on the market with demand not having been met by supply for so long and the negative impacts of the regulations you are in favour of could be catastrophic to a large number of people and businesses.

• Advertisement

What does the 2019 info have to do with the announcement from last week????

The mind boggles

You might not be aware Bass, but airbnb is also considered a big issue in some countries where they don't have overall housing shortages. Because it can cause hollowing out of city centres. You get loads of airbnbs. That brings in loads of tourists. Less locals living there which means less businesses that serve locals rather than tourists. More shops such as souvenir shops spring up for tourists. So that means that even less people want to live there and it becomes a vicious cycle.

That is why many countries are trying to control it even if they don't have chronic accommodation shortages.

So releasing the equivalent of a year's worth of new property onto the market overnight would have limited impact? Lol k

There are lots of options available then and now but competition makes prices for accommodation more affordable and I see no reason to clamp down on what are in the majority small business owners working with AirB&B who have only a limited impact on the lack of supply in the Irish housing market. In my opinion banning AirB&B is not the silver bullet to solve the lack of supply in the Irish housing market some posters would like to make it out to be. There were short term lets before AirB&B made the process more streamlined and accessible but every functioning market needs to have accommodation available at different lengths of tenancy and we already have far too much regulation in the property market as it is in my opinion. Would you like all tourists and people looking to stay somewhere short term needed to go back to the classified section of the local news paper or ask around and rely on word of mouth to find a landlord willing to take some cash for a spare room they might have somewhere for a few weeks?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

"equivalent of one year's worth of new property" is a nonsense statement and I don't understand how you are not be able to read the figures I have already shown you. Last years house completions were over 20,000 and that is still massively short of what demand there is as reflected by the continued unaffordable prices for what is reaching the market. The completions have been well short of demand now for years so a figure like the one you claim would in my opinion only have limited impact.

The market here had demand for almost 90,000 houses completed in 2006 and your suggestion would only release a percentage of 15,000houses or apartments at massif cost to the tourism industry. I don't know how you can say a fraction of 15,000 is equivalent to almost 90,000. It's literally about one sixth of the 2006 house completions if all of those AirB&B listings went to the standard residential market. There is no way this fraction of the 15,000 would be released overnight with the stroke of a pen and introducing more regulation to a market already choked up by regulation is not a solution I see as working well no matter how much you'd like to laugh out loud.

That you choose to use a figure from 16 years ago as a basis for anything is honestly just ridiculous and renders your point moot

Its not just the figures from when house completions in Ireland were at their recent peak that I have used. The total for new dwelling completions here in 2021 was 20,433 and this is widely accepted as being inadequate to meet demand. The figure for AirB&B that would be released to the open market by banning short term letting is only possible to estimate but even the total number of apartments and houses on the platform fall well short of the already inadequate figure. You are still ignoring that you are in effect shutting down thousands of small businesses and making illegal a very necessary part of the residential market particularly for tourism.

Maybe the state should build a few homes ? Even a hundred airbnb homes in cork, it's a drop in the ocean... it's just deflection. The councils and government are totally at fault and pathetic...

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

How about a once off solidarity tax applied to the international REITs that have coined it in in the last 6-8 years.

A tax and an exit tax to contribute to the resolution of the permanent housing problem without a solution.

But let's recognize the fact that they are. Earlier this year when the figures started to be published I proposed figures of 20-25k units by the end of this year since 2016 and that 4-5k LL would be leaving in 2022

So what would you say they were doing. The Indo and other papers like to hint that they are realizing there investment. But paying 33%tax on exit along with 2%between auction and solicitor would not be normal economic behavior

So may e sprinting for the hill is a better analogy than running

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I think that if there were easy solutions, the government would have taken them.

I don't know if they have the appetite to make the hard difficult decisions necessary, because of the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Because if they have more than 2, it's effectively a business.

If you tried to sell your property and were not able to, (In this climate) then the price was simply to high.

You may have ideas on what a property is worth, but in reality it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I've 100% get what you're saying about about people not willing to rent.

I'm potentially going to moving in with the other half in the next few months and am wondering what to do with my own property, the rental thing scares the hell out of me.

I went through a very tough time and fought very hard trying to get it a few years ago, and I'm not keen on selling it either.

It's a mess.

Very true. It doesn't, of course, help when lobby groups are arguing that the big danger facing is oversupply. While it may not lead to specific actions, it will have the effect of stifling potential solutions to the lack of supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

I have an apartment rented out to Hap tenants who in fairness are very good and never had an issue, I also have a flat I Airbnb in a holiday town I own it outright, we use it ourselves at least once a month and extended family get to use it as well, yes even in winter, if Airbnb was banned I wouldn’t let it out full time we’d just keep using it ourselves, but it’d mean a lot less places to stay in this ridiculously popular holiday town, That has nowhere near enough hotel accommodation. It’s a handy few quid for us when we’re not using it, but if Airbnb was banned not a chance we’d let it out long term,

do the numbers an apartment for between 150 and 200 euro a night is fantastic value for a family, when a hotel room is between 300 and 350 a night, and if you have 3 kids and say two are teenagers they’ll want their own room pushing your costs up to over 600 a night, not many can afford that, banning Airbnb’s would be a death knell for a lot of tourism, and they won’t comeback on the market, a lot of people are like us, use it themselves but Airbnb it if no one in the family needs it, or don’t need it themselves.

Post edited by The Spider on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Good post, however the reason these people are calling for a ban on Airbnb’s isn’t concern for long term rentals, it’s pure and simple Irish begrudgery, they don’t like the idea of people having two properties and one they can let out short term without some kind of ‘penalty’, they don’t care about the couple you mentioned, because frankly it’s probably never crossed their minds, they’re too consumed by green eyed jealousy that they’ll do anything they can to tear down anyone who they perceive has more than them. Already seen calls in this thread for the state to confiscate property, begrudgery alive and well.

banning Airbnb’s would be a death knell for a lot of tourism

Not even a little bit. The world managed fine without it before it existed here, it'll be fine after it

I'll let the numbers do the talking, from a reddit post a few months back

Calling it begrudgery, might want to check that logic at the door

• Registered Users Posts: 25,919 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We managed just fine before Revolut,, ATMs, online banking credit cards, too.

You think the masses will pay hundreds a night to stay in average hotels. Not a chance... I domt waste time or money on irish breaks any more. Go abroad. Infinitely better value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Is that not totally misleading though as it compares two totally different things?

I mean by default, most rentals (>99%??) are already rented so they wont appear on daft.

And most Airbnbs would have some availability so they will appear on a search.

Advertisement