Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBD Insurance rates-competitive?

Options
  • 30-11-2022 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have all insurance with FBD for years,farm,motor,house etc.Would look for best deal when renewing in their office but wouldn’t be one for ringing around different insurance companies.

Just got house insurance renewal for this year and it’s gone up nearly €200!!

Just wondering have people found has their house insurances or quotes for other things gone up a lot lately (like everything else has with inflation).

I increased the rebuild value by a nice bit before paying last years house insurance to take account of big hike in cost of building materials so it’s not that which has potentially brought the €200 increase in renewal quote iykwim.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The house insurance here is gone up over 200 as well with axa ,I must ring up about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

The house insurance nearly doubled here this year. I went online to chill dot ie….put in all the details and got quotes back from several insurers. The cheapest was Alliance. It was slightly more than what we paid last year. I went ahead and paid it there and then. The whole process from logging onto Chill and paying the new premium took around 20 minutes.

Anyone should go online before renewing just to see what kind of quotes come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just be careful on the house value fbd have the value up 20% due to rising costs of rebuilding etc. Don't under value your house to save a few euros on premium

Itsforwomen do good deals for men on car insurance. Way cheaper than fbd

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Was also one that never bothered ring around, have the car, jeep, tractors, farm with FBD and up an up it just goes, got the farm ins. which is out this month and it was €617, best she could do was €600, same as last year, pissed me it did, so I rang Zurich and she was €570 down to €510 and finally I rang AXA, he was an ex-FBD guy and upped the cover slightly on sheds and came in just under €380. House up next month.

Companies are all the bloody same re: any type of loyalty, you can be with Sky for decades and they will roast you, but new customers or even cancel and open in herself name and they can't throw enough at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Left FBD years ago....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'm with fbd, I have shareholder discount and purchasing group discount. My immediate family also get the group discount which is great for young drivers starting off. Without the discounts I agree prices are high

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Are people insuring for rebuild value rather than market value, it could drip the price a bit, it's a mistake I've made myself in the past

For house insurance obviously

OP Like everything else you must shop around. I switch plans each year for utilities and various insurances and save. FBD is not particularly competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea a neighbour here thought they were too dear, and left them but he's back with FBD again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Rebuilding costs have gone up 35-40% in the last 12 months, it could be 1800 to 2k a square meter. But they are price gouging us, shop around would be the best policy.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement