Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

She has tweets claiming that the royal family is RACIST for not allowing ‘black people’ (Harry and Meghan 😂) onto the balcony at the Queen’s jubilee.

She has also claimed that Meghan is a survivor of domestic violence from her in-laws.

Begs the question why she went to an event of such racists, and how coincidental that she was ‘victimised’ whilst there.

…best I could say of the comments are clueless uninformed and ignorant- I don’t necessarily believe the intention was racist by any means, but America is going to have an absolute field day with this story regardless of intention or how she might have been “set up” as someone has said,

it was a massively clumsy way of asking “what’s your ethnic background?” I’d doubt the word ethnicity is even in her vocabulary.

Theres a lot of upset ahead- the “quiet” period someone mentioned above is well and truely over now 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, it's something I guess.

I dunno what it says about me but I don't see anything terrible about those questions. Many first generation Irish in the UK are delighted to talk about their Irish heritage. I would be flattered if someone was showing an interest in my background. All she had to say was that her parents were from Africa or whatever. She's absolutely milking it now. I'd say she goes around looking to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Seems this story will overshadow William and Catherine's big American trip anyway. Interesting timing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

She wore clothes reflecting and celebrating her African heritage and became offended when asked what her heritage was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

These days, the question “ah no, where are you really from” directed to a person of colour who’s first response is to state their birth country as Ireland /UK etc, would be classed as insensitive at least, and racist by certain quarters. That’s just the way of the world in inclusion and diversity land - America would be well used to this approach but it’s not widespread in Ireland UK quite yet.

Its how the question is asked that is becoming a lot more important these days- and in general I have to say I agree, in that if someone is born in the UK or Ireland but are from African decent or whatever, that they should be respected in the first instance with their initial response. A follow up question around their ancestral background may or may not be appropriate - I guess it’s all down to context.

Given the age of the woman asking those questions, I think it was a clumsy attempt of taking genuine interest in the cultural background of this person - especially as she was pretty much dressed in African garb from head to foot- someone mentioned it was a set-up - I’m inclined to agree somewhat but the Lady in Waiting kind of gave her all the ammunition she needed to persue her obvious agenda against the royal family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

There are 2 issues here you cant really win.

1 fail to recognise the African attire and not acknowledge they could be African met with why did you assume I'm not African.

2 Assume they are African acknowledge that and met with Why did you assume I'm not British.

Being old they would not be to on the ball. So thinking on the fly where did your great great great grandparents hail from would have defused the situation.

Wonder if the person in Question was served Ribena.

“Can’t really win” if that person wants to see you lose. I’m sure there have been tons of gaffs similar to this one down through the years but have gone unreported because the people meeting the royal family and their extended entourage have either respect for the institution as a whole or need them onside to support their charity/business.

In this case, I do feel there was a wider agenda playing out.

The late price would be a hilarious example. He seemed to get away with it as he was Greek.

"If it has four legs and it is not a chair, if it has two wings and flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." Again with the Chinese insults, when he addressed a World Wildlife Fund meeting in 1986.

🤐

• Advertisement

The same woman has previously claimed that Meghan was a victim of domestic violence, perpetrated on her by "her in-laws ", and also it was racist that non working royals Meghan and Harry werent on the balcony at Buckingham palace. Seems she may have an agenda alright, especially given the timing of US visit.

That being said, if the account is true, the royal woman's questioning was definitely crass and inappropriate, but not unexpected from an 80 something year old, although you'd think she'd know better being in the public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,978 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well they should be mortified the lot of them hey.

Well most people of that age are a bit "Racist" they were brought up in a different time. You can't really judge them by modern standards. My partner looks after the old folks and some of the stuff she tells me is shocking. But on the plus side their dying so. Swings an roundabouts. The old racism is dying out to a lvl witch will have to be accepted it's human nature at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 braderiejg

The Royal Family in Britain is nothing but a multi-million-pound corporation, with the Granny Queen as the tourist celebrity postcard figurehead. She is told how to perform just like the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Based on that line of reasoning it is very probable that Meaghans claims about racism are entirely valid.

The level of excuses on here is pathetic. She's old, racism is different for them.

She didn't mean to be racist, she just phrased it wrong.

Sure the woman was asking for it, wearing the type of clothes she was wearing.

The woman involved has been with the royal household for years, she didn't suddenly start talking like this. So it is perfectly reasonable that Meaghan would have faced similar comments. And we are all aware of Prince Philips's regular forays into racist language.

The balance of probability if very much in favour of Meaghan on this issue, and this is yet another example to weigh in that side.

She was apologised to and the lady lost her job. Not sure what else can be done...

I’m sure a whole long list will appear any day now with reinstate Meghan as a part time working royal at the top of it 😛

Yes, the family that treated M so badly that she still shows up to big family occasions!!

I mean, are the royal family the most politically correct bunch of misfits? Absolutely not - but I think most rational people would argue that the current bunch of working royals would certainly like to be seen as people willing to learn - they’re not going to get it right all the time but for that charity worker to say they’re racist is OTT

Hmm.. Coincidence??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why? What was said to her was clearly racist, and based on a racist assumption. The thread is about Meaghan and Harry, and they have been pilloried for claiming racism at the heart of the Royal family.

Get it right all the time? This isn't some gotcha in a pub after a few drinks, or a heat-of-the-moment loss of control. This was at an official event, she was working at the time, and this is how she treated one of the guests.

The events of the last few days, coupled with what we already knew of the likes of Prince Philip, certainly gives great credibility to their claims, certainly enough that the benefit of the doubt should be on the side of Meaghan and Harry rather than the royal family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

On the plus side, old people are dying? Seriously terrible remark.

You do realise that a lot of older people in residential care homes grew up when they were ignorant to racism. They knew no better. In time, yes, they will have learned what was right and wrong. But you realise that these older people have dementia etc and do not have filters and cannot remember short term, so revert to young years? They could say just about anything.

I hope your partner is at peace with themselves with the attitude they have about the elderly.

My post has nothing to do with the RF and their treatment of MM. My post is about your insensitivity to elderly folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

The trailer has dropped on Netflix, just in time for the USA trip by William and Catherine. Do we get 8 days of daily tidbits until it airs next Thursday?

Strap yourselves in......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11490339/Harry-Meghan-drop-trailer-bombshell-Netflix.html

^^ The timing is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,046 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

with the Granny Queen as the tourist celebrity postcard figurehead. She is told how to perform just like the rest of them.

The queen died, it was fairly big news at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Is it really Harry and Meghan deciding to drop this or are Netflix the ones actually in control? I think it's the latter considering they are the paymasters. Another way to look at this is not to think that it is a pre-meditated and deliberately calculated clapback conducted by attention seekers looking to steal the limelight from the P&POW but rather a desperate move by Netflix to capitalise on the grandeur of Earthshot and its wider promotion and glean some self-promotion while minds are focused on Royals in America i.e. they're hocking the lemon royals they stupidly bought and looking to finally squeeze some juice out of them at an opportune time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the british lady dressed as an african seems to like the media

• Registered Users Posts: 82,978 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Susan Hussey has been named as the offender.

I had been wondering. When I saw the palace had put out a statement expressing "Profound Apologies" from her, it didn't include her name, and therefore seemed the farthest thing from profound, just referring to her as "the individual concerned:"

• Advertisement

So since the start of the other royal trip we've had the racism story, a 'leaked' photo of Archie, Meghan and Doria on a zoom call and now the netflix trailer. Tomorrow is the day of the earth shot event..what will we get then? Maybe a full family photo with both kids? A pregnancy announcement?

Advertisement