Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

40 year old panels are still getting 80% of initial output. Blades, which form a small part of the overall mass, are becoming more recyclable.

Or we could do like nuclear and spend billions on a temporary fix and kick the can down the road until it's time to hide it under a mountain. Only Finland have a proper storage facility, but it's not in use yet.

Just like renewables nuclear needs backup, spinning reserve and peaking plant, but more of it and more often. Our grid will soon only have a continuous demand for 5% baseload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Thanks for sharing, interesting info. Haven't seen any hybrid or electric buses down here in the people's Republic but that doesn't mean they're not in use.

The rail system should be electrified too! Rather than the Cork to Dublin or any other train belching out diesel fumes every day. It's a fixed distance journey so the required battery capacity should be easy to calculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The flying isn't mentioned till now. Unlike farmers with a few cattle..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I make the point because they're seems to be an onus on private individuals to convert to electric vehicles. It needs to be done l, but personal financial circumstances are a barrier. I'd change to electric car but right now I can't afford to.

Whereas converting the public transport infrastructure is more doable based on the huge surplus in public finances the goverment keeps on bleating on about. If we have that kind of surplus let's put our money to work and make some positive changes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nuclear produced between 3GW - 4GW this month, one of the plants had an outage at the start of the month.

This is what renewables are producing. Biomass (mostly biomethane from fuel crops ) alone outproduced nuclear with a steady 5.3GW - 5.5GW

Germany has Expansion targets of at least 30 gigawatts (GW) by 2030, 40 GW by 2035 and 70 GW by 2045 offer long-term prospects for offshore wind energy and the supply industry

• Advertisement

The demand for heat pumps is ramping up

All over the EU too

New report reveals heat pump sales globally rose 15 per cent in 2021 and are now doubling year on year in some markets

Here's the report from the IEA on the topic

For the usual suspects, complaints about costs of retrofitting, we've gone around that roundabout a dozen times at this stage so please come with something new as the barriers are reviewed in detail in the IEA report, so maybe take a look at it first

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If everyone in Europe (well ourselves, the Dutch, and ze Germans) is looking to add 30GW of offshore then we best get busy strip mining large parts of the world. Chile for the copper and Africa/china fir those rare earth minerals required for the turbines.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

If you increase shipping costs that cost get passed to the consumer.

You do understand this….right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's the "let them eat cake" attitude on display again.

Food security, fuhgeddaboudit. Cull the national herd and turn farmland into beautiful meadows for the birds and the bees.

Energy security, fuhgeddaboudit, ban gas, oil, coal. The wind fairies will resuce us, although we might need to cut back on our living standards, say to 1910 levels.

Never fear though, Eamo will have another press release in the next day or two to tell us his next brilliant scheme to spend other people's (ie ours) money.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

• Advertisement

The agri sector have really put their weight behind emission reductions. The food vision beef & sheep group just finished up their final report for the minister on their long list of proposals for how to achieve emissions reductions in their branch of the sector.

For those in the sector, this may be of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

In my honest opinion, the green agenda and a lack of coherent economic policy to back any of it up is going to be found out like the crypto. We will find out who is wearing shorts when the tide goes out as Warren buffet says and the greens are bollock naked. None of their **** stands up to any scrutiny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Have to hand it to you - the amount of time & effort you put in to research and present the GREEN agenda :) I know you've said you're not a member of said party - but are you paid by them?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Tippman24

Was the question asked if all of them were prepared to forgo their holidays in Spain?, France? etc

Was the question asked if the respondents were prepared to give up their SUVs, RVs etc.

It was in my ----.

It's quiet in the run up to Christmas, projects finishing up so I've more time on my hands than usual, that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

When I am the Green dictator of the world I'll have the World Cup in countries that already have the infrastructure so we don't have white elephant projects like this Qatar nonsense. They should really just have it in Germany every 4 years, all the stuff is already there and it has great beer and football culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

An Ecargo Bike the patients are truly running the asylum. My god .

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

Your last paragraph is so delusional as to be hilarious, the grid doesn't work like that it can only accept a portion of variable power

Also you didn't answer the question of where does the old wind turbines and solar panels go, would it be because they are not recyclable and go to landfill . . . Very green altogether

https://www.johnlocke.org/wind-turbines-graveyard-causing-a-stir-dont-say-we-didnt-warn-you/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,577 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thanks. Very good post explaining the system.

As I said I am not an expert, but I do know that wind and solar need a back up and cannot be the only source as others have also said.

Not in favour of nuclear at all and I do know that the nuclear plants are costly to repair and up keep pnce they start to corrode, never mind the offensive waste products which as child of the 70s and 80s I just can't accept.

I would in fact be more in favour of more slowly winding down our dependance on fossil fuels but still use them when a more suitable alternative is not available. I don't consider taking nuclear generated energy from France or any country to be acceptable to a country that has very vehemently eschewed building nuclear reactors.

There has to be another way.

By the way my comnent about the geography of Germany as opposed to ours is that we being an island nation off the edge of the windy Atlantic, is superior for wind power, notwithstanding some very unseasonal doldrums earlier this year.

I am somewhere in the middle /on the fence about the op's premise.

While I agree with some green policies I think the Green don't appear to have the talent of reading the room, maybe that is because they have to be very passionate about these policies to the detriment of everything us middle of the road souls worry about, like houses and food, and keeping warm and a car (any car!) on the road.

Its all coming back to me now how absolutely one dimensional they were when they were last in government, after the crash.

Sorry only getting back to reply now, as the thread has moved on considerably since you and others replied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

You forgot these bits:

However, while expressing broad support for more radical action on climate by government, business and individuals, most young people struggled to identify which individual changes would have the greatest impact on carbon emissions... The report also shows that knowledge about which behaviours have the largest impacts on emissions is no better among the present generation of young people than it is among older adults.

In other words, a bunch of youngsters who have never had to pay an electricity bill in their lives vaguely remember some of the brainwashing they received at school.

Even the German Greens retain a vestige of pragmatism. They are building both floating and permanent LNG terminals and the Green economy minister has just struck a deal with Qatar to supply LNG for fifteen years from 2026. It's only 3% of annual needs, though, so Germany will still be burning coal in the 2040s and wondering where it all went wrong.

Obviously our own environment minister is determined to remain untainted by any consideration of real-world needs.

Our grid can already accept up to 75% of non-synchronous power. https://smartgriddashboard.com/#all/snsp

It's heading towards 95%. We have 5.2GW of wind. When we have twice that the cyan areas above are the times when we'd power from something other than wind. And a fair bit of that could come from the light green surplus. The ESB plan is for 30GW of wind , not 5.2GW so the cyan area would shrink a lot.

Our grid can also accept 1.8 GWh (300MW for 6 hours) for pumped storage, but in future could accept GW's month after month if surplus power was used to produce hydrogen.

Like I said, solar can keep on working.

Most other parts of wind apart from the fibreglass blades are refurbishable and recyclable and the bades are being made longer lasting and more recyclable. Blades in landfill now were made 20 years ago using older tech. It's fibreglass so same route as other fibreglass products.

Meanwhile the UK are looking at three billion per nuclear plant to decommission them and a lot of that material can't be used for a very long time and the National Audit Office thinks that figure is too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

Here I'll just give you the answer seeing as you're running from it, turbine blades are made of fiberglass

Woohoo! 0.00000000006 of global emissions saved! But only because he seems to be claiming a fuel efficiency of 15 litres per 100km (18 mpg). That's some dog of a car. Could've saved two thirds of that by switching to a Nissan Micra, which I'm pretty sure can carry a lot more than a cargo bike in a lot more comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Would you mind explaining why you are so against Nuclear? I am also a child of the 70s and 80s and was subject to the same scare tactics from the likes of Greenpeace and various Cold War films. When I read into it though, most, if not all of the fears are misplaced. It's worth looking into the likes of https://www.18for0.ie/ as there's a lot of interesting information out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Did you actually read it through to the end yourself ?

It`s nothing other than another green wish list. Same as all the others that avoid the elephant in the room, viability.

Tucked in on the last page. "The concerns expressed in relation to the ongoing economic viability of the sector while undertaking these measures is an issue outside of the scope of this Report which still needs to be addressed" Good to see though that from the next few lines the reduction in cattle numbers is being quietly dropped.

If you really want to do something useful around here, then other than just posting propaganda pieces where you do not even appear to read past the attention grabbing headline, tell us how these wet dreams are going to cost and then we can all judge how practical and viable they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Fair dues, you expressed your views well, and while you are not a fan of nuclear for a few reasons I`m not sure the on-going repair and corrosion when compared to offshore stand up. This E.S.B. plan for offshore of 30 Gigawatts nameplate capacity is going to be much more expensive in those areas. Wind turbines are meant to have around 25 years of a lifespan, but a bit of a stretch Imo when you are placing them in a offshore environment. From the U.K. we know that just the initial offshore construction costs for this plan will be anywhere between €83 Bn and €120 Bn. to supply 6.3 Gigawatts of domestic supply. Once those turbines reach their end of lifespan, even after the maintenance costs in the meantime they are going to have to be either refitted or replaced. That would be every 20 -25 years, and that is not going to be cheap. Present nuclear plants have a lifespan of 60 years, in that time offshore maintenance and refit/replacement is going to come to at least the initial cost of €83 Bn - €120 Bn.

There has been a lot said about offshore having a much greater rolling capacity than onshore, but when compared to our nearest neighbours their really isn`t that great a difference. The rolling capacity for onshore here is around 35%. U.K. offshore is 43%, which I can only assume is the reason that the E.S.B. plan for offshore is for 30 Gigawatts which would leave us with around 6.3 Gigawatts for domestic consumption. I know it`s a whole other issue, but when you factor in hydrogen generation construction costs, production, storage and generation all of which will be paid for by the consumer I believe we should be told just how much this is going to cost, because just from the little we can see from the U.K. figures it would not be the cheap clean energy we were promised.

I`m not saying that nuclear doesn`t have problem, but if greens really are as concerned about this doomsday scenario they are predicting from emissions then stubbornly during their heads in the said by refusing to even examine a source that is 100% CO2 neutral is just being hypocritical. Especial with them being happy to piggy back it of others.

Passion if all fine and dandy, but ignoring reality and financial viability isn`t a plan, it`s an impractical wish list based on nothing other than their again one dimensional thinking we saw from the last time they were in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Whats the Greens position on nuclear anyway.

They seem happy to import nuclear energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Tippman24

Greens don't mind where we get the energy from as long as it is nimby.

I think that rural TDs should propose the erection of windmills in Bushy Park, St Stephens Green, Herbert Park, Phoenix Park, Fairview Park etc as an immediate step to help Ireland meet its green energy targets. If it is good enough for us useless country yolks, it is good enough for any and all green spaces in the Capital.

Advertisement