Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nobody wants to consider the elephant in the room of course, a massively strengthened Reserve and/or some sort of compulsory military service.

If this conversation continues to be about pay, pretty soon it will be concluded that the unpalatable truth is that they'll have to pay technical NCOs the same as a commissioned Sub-Lieutenant or higher to be able to compete with the entry level in the high tech private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I dont see the issue there as in some parts of the construction industry certain trades are paid nearly the same as the site/construction manager.

It is what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

If you talk to anyone in the navy and ask them what could be done to make things better I bet everyone would more or less say the same thing.

Why isn’t the Minister listening?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

i get paid more than the 2 managers directly above me and I get overtime that one of them doesn’t get. It’s not unusual in industry for the person with the technical skills to be on more money

It is in the public service lads.

And that's the culture under which this crisis is being addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

No minister can just click their fingers and "solve" issues, if they could then the HSE wouldn't be the devouring monster in terms of budgets. Getting the different needed sections of the Public Service and Government to get serious with this issue clearly is the major block.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

The minister, DoD and DPER have been given numerous solutions from the rep groups within the DF and even Naval HQ how to solve the most pressing issue- retention. They can be solved by something as simple as making MSA part of core pay, and making PDA tax free.

Their suggestions are largely ignored.

There is also a multitude of skilled ex NS officers and Senior rates who would be happy to return to the NS to assist, but because of pension abatement, to do so would effectively see them doing it for free.

At the moment most of the senior NCOs vacancies are filled and deck officers so we don’t need more chiefs. There’s a huge shortage of Abs, Po Eras, RRTs, Engineering officers and Electricians.

There’s no point bringing back a chief because the navy has them all filled. And the chief isn’t going to do the job of a lower rank.

What is the role of a warrant officer in the Navy?

• Advertisement

When I say Senior rates, I include POs. There used to be a PO/RRT on every ship, a ship couldn't leave port without them. Now there's none. Same for PO/ERA and PO/EA. As for chiefs, a CPO ERA has the same qualification as an Engineering officer, and in a future orbat(IPV for example), could easily fulfil the MEO role. You also need POs to supervise training of recruits and officer cadets.

I never mentioned deck officers. Its technical officers that are needed. They are the ones who we are taking in, training up and they leave a year or so after being commissioned, bringing their engineers ticket off somewhere where they'll earn a bucket more money, and never have to go to sea. The Air Corps has taken back captains, commandants and colonels who were flight qualified. Why can't the Navy do the same?

Could they not promote ERAs and techs to that rank with extra technical pay and there job strictly to keep the ship moving no other managment duties?

You said that several ideas have being ignored by government. Where is the underlying problem. Do they simply not just want to pay?

At the end of the day there wouldn’t be a retention crisis if the Fine Gael government actually implemented better sea pay and improved the contracts.

Instead they did very little And choose to put the money into useless ad campaigns and focused on recruitment.

The civil servants who work in the department are also to blame. Try doing a 4 week patrol out in rough conditions. At least you get to go home when you work in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I see NZ are having their own Naval manpower issues too.

I hear some of their more qualified people cross the pond to Aus because there is more interesting potential there. I.E NZ have Canterbury, Oz have Choules and the Canberra class. Oz have a reach beyond the pacific, NZ rarely venture beyond their own patch.

I wonder if they thought they might actually end up in a shooting war at some stage, would their attitude change?

I think looking at historical factors and the increasing reach of China into territory far from its own shores and really very near to Australia, the chances of the RAN being involved in a conflict of some sort in the next decade or two is quite high. And the massive investment by the Australian federal government in. Defence of late, bears that out.

The Chinese activity in the Solomons has woken the NZ military up somewhat, however their current govt is taking the "wait & see" approach. Meanwhile NZ has plans to replace Canterbury with a proper LPD, among other things.

That Canterbury was one of the biggest military white elephants I ever heard of, certainly relative to the size of the NZ budget. I mean its a jaysis car ferry. The American modular-mission LCS may just beat it for the Camel award.

If the Irish Defence Forces learned one thing from their recons to New Zealand, I hope its how *not* to do things.

At the start it was considered "the best they could get" given the then governments lack of intent for any other military capability. But once people started to die, the attitude changed. It did well in the HADR role, that goes without saying, but it was clear that a proper LPD would do the job and others far better, for a similar cost. Based on the recent very public visits by the NS and DoD to the Dutch naval platforms, it appears Ireland has come round to that way of thinking too.

As an aside, the Dutch navy plan to replace their 2 LPD and 4 OPV with 6 "crossover" types.

Crossovers - Damen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

That crossover sounds like a better idea.

• Advertisement

Big difference in size and structure between an LPD and an OPV.

Could end up with the bastard child of uselessness, or HMNZS Canterbury if you prefer.

Normally yes, however the Dutch OPV has a much wider role protecting their Caribbean territories, HADR and assisting the USCG in counter Narcotics operations. The UK also use much larger vessels in this role.

Put the Irish MRV order on the dutch one and we could get a saving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Afloat.ie

The Government is considering carrying out a public naming competition for two inshore patrol cutters that the the State has acquired from New Zealand. The pair of 'Lake' class cutters were originally commissioned for the Royal New Zealand Navy in 2009.

Simon Coveney, the Minister of Defence has proposed the innovative idea, however there will be safeguards implemented to prevent a recurrence of what took place in the UK of the 'Boaty McBoatface' debacle when the outcome of a public online vote turned farcical, however the research vessel was officially named the RRS Sir David Attenborough

The new patrol cutters will be introduced into the Naval Service where the majority of the fleet reflects the names of famous male Irish writers, they are the L.E.Samuel Beckett, James Joyce and George Bernard Shaw. In addition the third of the OPV90 class L.E. William Butler Yeats, Afloat adds is similarly named to that of Irish Ferries cruiseferry, the W.B Yeats.

The Independent.ie which has more on the story, reports that Mr Coveney is believed to favour that at least one of the warships be named after a woman. This would enable the public to be offered a slate of options – from Maria Edgeworth, Lady Gregory, Katharine Tynan or Peig Sayers.

As for male writers they could include such legendary figures as Bram Stoker, Seamus Heaney, Austin Clarke and Padraic Colum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

"....Mr Coveney is believed to favour that at least one of the warships be named after a woman."

Careful now Simon, we could end up with the L.E. Amanda Brunker!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭mupper2

Ah now, Amy has a useful Husband and used to be a pretty reasonable actor herself. I have no idea what purpose vague serves though.

Although I think LÉ Bram Stoker is a fantastic name for a ship, it might be distinctive to come up with a different naming convention for a different class of ship.

They began life named after Lakes in New Zealand, what about Lough Corrib, Erne, Derg, Carlingford, Mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭zone 1

LE. KATIE TAYLOR

• Advertisement

And name the other one L.E. Kellie Harrington?

Advertisement