Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

If they have no passports , how are airport authorities to know if they are looking at “ a convicted criminal on the run “ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes indeed and even all of those in East Wall were Ukrainians, it’s common knowledge that uptake of the covid vaccines were very low in Eastern Europe, all of a sudden that’s not a consideration which shows the covid reaction was pure political theatre

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But vetting is not used for whatever purposes the protesters seemingly want it used - it's usually only operated in extremely limited circumstances (to protect children and young people from potential sex offenders etc).

Also, I doubt very much a person could be successful in their asylum claim without being able to establish their actual identity and country of origin to the authorities (even if they have no documents on them....there are still numerous ways a person's identity can be cross checked).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

100%, if anything is proof this current govt couldnt give two hoots about its citizens, its that they're allowing a mass immigration of people into Ireland without even checking to see if they're vaccinated or not. There is a large elderly population in Eastwall and its a more densely populated area that most other parts of Ireland. Could easily be an outbreak, all it takes is for person in the ESB building to get it & im sure it was spread like wildfire there considering the place was never meant for living in anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Christ that is so naive.

You really have no notion what's going on at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

10 million people visit Ireland every year, we don't check their covid vaccination status.

Another strawman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Albanians are not refugees.

They are claiming asylum, hoping that their claim is successful.

Clearly, their claims are bogus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

As I said, vetting is used for anyone taking a council house. Not just “extremely limited circumstances”.

Your asylum claim doesn’t have to be successful in Ireland. You just have to tough it out long enough to be given leave to remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A few weeks of

will

cost the economy tens of millions. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Have the antifa crew showed up yet to clear the streets of the far right ?

Twitter tells me it's people from outside the area protesting anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Blocking the port tunnel, and if will become more and more frequent, will 100% cost the economy 10s of millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Checking their vaccination status for other diseases, aswell as checking their HIV status - is something we should be doing. And also ensuring that all those HIV positive are given PrEP, so as to prevent any further outbreaks here in Ireland as a result.

The number of HIV positive cases in this country has grown significantly this year - due to arrivals from outside the state. This detailed in HPSC document here

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/hivandaids/hivdataandreports/World%20AIDS%20Day%20-%20Update%20on%20Epidemiology%20of%20HIV%20in%20Ireland.pdf

Despite the incomplete data, certain key points are evident from the data in 2022.

• The majority of HIV diagnoses (77%) are in people who were previously diagnosed positive outside Ireland (where history of previous diagnosis is known).

Among those with known region of origin, the majority of HIV diagnoses (88%) are among migrants, defined as originating outside the country in which they were diagnosed. The proportion of cases among migrants in 2022 is higher than in previous years.

o Among those with known region of origin, 32% are in people from Latin America and Caribbean and 25% are in people from sub-Saharan Africa.

o The proportion of HIV diagnoses in people from Eastern Europe increased in 2022 (19% among those with known region of origin) compared to previous years (<5%). 

While its great that we are catching so many with previous diagnoses outside the state, the lack of any proper screening on entry poses a real risk to further growth of HIV. The rise of "Unknown" diagnoses in 2022 illustrates this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A month of accommodation for ~350 asylum seekers at the government's stated average of 70 per night is 686k like I believe that figure and at 100 pp it's 980k, also probably a few extra contracts for the NGOs and their friends and family for support that they've excluded from that figure.

The Government can't be dissing out new contracts with the extra scrutiny now, and every month this goes on it's one of the governments altruistic friends who didn't get to the trough early enough losing out on the guts of 1m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Seems to be quite a few refugees being moved from hotels in Dublin to other parts of the country

Leases up ?

Too expensive to renew ?

Hotels had enough themselves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The fact is that many hotels in Clare and elsewhere on the Wild Atlantic Way are very busy for 4 months, somewhat busy for 4 months and very quiet or closed for the other 4 months. From a business model perspective, it absolutely makes sense to sign up for asylum seekers or refugee contracts. Full occupancy for 12 months. Increased occupancy also brings increased revenues to the local community via local suppliers and higher wages etc. If I had a hotel, I would absolutely pivot to this model.

As for the tourists that will struggle to find accommodation next year, tough - there is a war on. I expected Putin to target utilities at the start of winter to increase the migrations and put pressure on EU governments. We have to do all we can.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

You have changed your tune, I thought you were against vaccine certification?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Only for diseases where a vaccination reduces the risk of transmission to others.

More than 57000 measles cases in 2019.

Ukraine also had active polio cases last year, which threatens Europes polio-free status

• Registered Users Posts: 82,785 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They are targetting the port tunnel, this facilitates the majority of freight in to and out of Dublin Port.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Are the 'concerned citizens' still pretending these protests aren't about wanting foreigners out while using them to pretend to give a sh*te about homeless people in Ireland?

Or has it moved onto some bollocks about whether or not they're vaccinated now?

Protest in Fermoy last night, mostly families and 8 single women and yet you've people demanding that they're all deported.

Vile scum. Land of a thousand welcomes my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Ah . Its more of a class war in Ireland . The rich elite appearing like great guys to the EU while throwing these people into working class communities in Dublin whose services are already stretched to the brink

It mirrors Covid when decisions made by the rich and elite affected the working class more. But we were all in it together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

We had a hotel booked for a week in Feb in a town in Ireland. We usually do something around that time every year with another family. Booked it nearly a year ago. Both of us got emails last week saying that our booking could no longer be accommodated. My friend being the super sleuth they are, followed this up until eventually they found out the hotel has been filling up with refugees for many months now and we were just the latest in a long list to have our bookings cancelled. Too hard to find a reasonable hotel now in Ireland for when we want, so we have booked a week in a nice hotel in Sicily instead.

Dont know how much we would have spent while there, but between us all it wouldnt be insignificant. And if we like going abroad and find it easy to do (ie not a major pain) with flights etc, then we most likely would go abroad for this trip in future instead of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah, let's take in another 100k refugees n asylum seekers next year, sure it'll be grand- won't it?!

Only for diseases where a vaccination reduces the risk of transmission to others.

Well according to more up to date studies Covid vaccines do exactly that.

But surely it should be based on how effective the vaccine is at preventing severe disease?

A virus transmitting doesn't really matter, what matters is the impact from that virus on our health systems.

The HSE are actually actively immunising Ukrainian children and adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Next door

vs

indoors, with potential to have access to sensitive and classified information and the actual Tainiste himself.

people need vetting and clearance to work in the Dail, but you can just get off a plane and live with our Taoiseach / Tainiste ?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Like I've said before, what will protesting outside the centre which many vulnerable families are located do?

Why are they targetting the families and intimidating them, demanding that they be deported before they've had the chance of due process?

They're scum, that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

I've been banging this drum for months.

It amazes me how people can't see what's happening and the consequences it'll have.

That local restaurant you would have went to,pubs,shops, the local garage you might have filled up at,day trips,tours,bike hire you might have done....I could keep listing knock on effects all day but those businesses didn't get your custom because of this.

In my own case my tourist reliant business will be gone next summer, that's two jobs and about 3-4 student summer Jobs that won't be there.Im lucky enough that I have another job to fall back on to pay the bills and keep the lights on,not many have this option.

Now multiply this example by millions and you start to get an idea what has been done to our biggest indigenous industry and employer in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Garda vetting is 'not' widespread, this is misinformation. I believe in the case of council houses, people are vetted for evidence of previous anti-social behaviour, not sexual offences, Vetting is primarily used for people who intend working with children or vulnerable adults or in certain cases where members of the public do work for the Gardai or the courts service.

I'm still totally unclear as to why Gardai would be carrying out vetting on asylum seekers. People in asylum don't work with children or do work for the Gardai themselves.

• Advertisement

Advertisement