Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Some selective figures used in that article.

They have diesel at 1.80 per litre (too low by far) and home electricity at 44c per kwh (too high for most).

They also have diesel suv at 5.5 litres per 100kms (best case) and electric cars at 20kwh per 100kms (worst case, I think 🤔 )

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Izzy77

On another note, loving the car. It's so nice to drive and there's a little extra height which I like getting in and out. Having said that, I wish I could lower the drivers seat a little bit. The pre heating works well enough. I just changed the mirror indicators for dynamic ones and they look really well I think. The settings can be hit and miss which is no surprise! So far, so good. Pity there's no internet radio without a subscription though.

Where did you get the dynamic indicators Izzy?

I'm getting on great with the car too, range estimated at 310kms at 100% today which is a bit of a drop but it was only 5 degrees temp outside

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Izzy77

Yes I'm happy with the range too. The last few days have been colder in fairness - we won't know ourselves in the milder weather.

there's the link for the indicators. €10 customs charge. They look fab i must say. Really add to the car. Had them in a few days. It's the little things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm far from an EV fanboy but that article is very ignorant.

"a Volkswagen ID.4 will average 17kWh/100km which means that charging from a 22kW charger will cost you €9.57.

The same in an equivalent diesel-engined SUV, assuming average fuel economy of 5.5-litres per 100km — certainly do-able in real-world terms — will cost you €9.90 at €1.80 per litre. According to the statistics, the majority of EV drivers do almost all of their charging at home, but Electric Ireland’s standard rate for home electricity supply now stands at 40.89c per kWh"

Noooobody is paying 40c/kWh. Many people locked into 8-10c rates with Energia. Anyone with an EV will be on a day/night rate. Doing 1,000km a month I'm spending €14.20 or €1.42/100km. You're also not getting 5.5L from a diesel SUV, Spritmonitor has 2,200 real world fuel logs in a Tiguan at 6.95L/100km under 200hp. Diesel also isn't €1.80, at least not in West Dublin, it's €2. If it was €1.80 then it will really cost €12.51/100km Vs €1.73 for a 20kWh/100km ID.4 including 10% charging losses.

"To cover 100km at 17kWh/100km, charging at home at that rate will cost you €6.90, giving you a large, but perhaps not overwhelming advantage over diesel. (It’s worth pointing out that night rate charging, if your supplier offers it, will reduce that cost by quite a bit."

I like the "if your supplier offers it" bit as if night rates are unusual. Anyone and everyone can get night rates and most people will be on one if they have an EV. Whoever wrote that article needs to get over themselves, highly unprofessional.

As I said I'm not an EV fanboy, I'm not trying to say EV is better in every conversation. The €12 Vs €1.70 diesel Vs EV cost doesn't take into account the higher cost of an EV purchase of course, and it's not for everyone. Not everyone has private charging etc. Obviously not for everyone but that article is ridiculous...

Post edited by DaveyDave on

My dealer McCoys put up Instagram post today they have 5 or 6 Born in various colours available early 2023 if anyone interested. All 58kwh models .

Saw that alright, guessing it's general stock and not cancelled orders as there's 114 sold this year so I'm guessing all the original orders found a home.

Hopefully whoever buys the vapor grey one lives in Kildare, I like the exclusivity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've resisted the urge to check in with the car dealer about my order. Its been 7 months now. I'll probably call in January to see if there's an update.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Does anyone know if the raised boot floor is a factory fit option, or does the dealer install it? I ordered without it but have changed my mind since. If it's a dealer option then I should be able to get it without going to the back of the queue.

I thought so too, but then I saw the option pack includes the 3 pin charger, which I'll end up buying anyway, so it's pretty much the same

Yeah if you want the 3 pin plug it's worth going for the cargo pack.

I didn't go for the cargo pack as I knew the boot floor was cheaper to buy separately although I didn't know it came with a 3 pin plug so it's not a bad deal really.

The sales guy at the dealership back in July really didn't have a clue what was in which option pack at the time. It would have been the easiest €350 he'd have made that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dubsphan

Anyone having trouble with the app.?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Yea I couldn't use the app and the car was asking me to log in again last night and this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

My app was down yesterday too for an hour or so while charging....all good now though

• Advertisement

Stating the obvious but if anyone hasn't checked their tyre pressure give it a check. I've read posts about the Born (and other EVs) coming with high tyre pressure from the factory. On 20" wheels it should be 36psi all around but my rear were 39 and 40. The car felt crashy at times, not what I'm used to as VW suspension is typically firm but comfortable and soaks up bumps well.

Definitely a bit smoother now. At times the car just felt a bit rough, even though it's generally comfortable.

Range dropping a lot in this cold weather. To be expected I suppose just plugging in abit sooner in the week so no biggie.

I'll check what pressure are in mine. Maybe when the cold snap ends. Im not used to being on cold foredourts any more! I've never driven around that close to 40psi before.

Also, did all you guys get your next set of tyres covered in the cupra care pack that came with the car?

What range are ye getting in this weather? Presume all 58kWh as I don't think there are any 77kWh here yet

Going purely by the percentage/range on the app at the moment it would be 325km at 100%. The last week or so it would be around 350km at 100%. Although I've noticed when I actually get into the car it's a bit higher.

Seeing the car creeping up around 20kWh/100km efficiency in heavier traffic. Which is funny as I thought this was where EVs shined, they're my worst efficiency trips!

Just realised I won't be able to preheat at 20% battery and it will be -2 leaving work. I'll need to sneak a few hours on a granny charger in the car park this evening...

Yeah I'm 58kwh. Range showing about 310kms at 100% these days. Used to be 380 or something.

I've no range anxiety, not doing long trips too often and I'm charging for free in work so I'm not really trying to be efficient.

Average consumption has crept over 18kwh per 100kms in the 4500kms since I got it at end of Sept.

Average consumption since last charge is always in the 20s now, 22/23 so I doubt I even have 300kms.

Be interesting to see what it is after a full year.

You aren't driving around with the heating off or any of that shite you see EV owners do? 310 would do me I'd say... I regularly do a 250km round trip and I don't particularly want to stop to charge on it.

You were right. Looks like my car will be ready for collection in January.

No I've heating on plus seats and steering wheel too. Blow heater uses a bit of juice you can see range change when it's off. Seats and steering wheel use very little as far as I can see. I use them all together though

Probably not news to anyone but this is maybe a minute of heating with thick frost.

I know EVs heat quickly but when preheating I find the car isn't very warm unless it's on for a good 20 minutes so I was surprised to see how quick it was defrosting. It does the side windows and is still indirectly heating the cabin so if I ever forget to preheat or it's colder than expected I can just wait it out.

There's a thick dusting of snow just now which will likely freeze on the car so preheating will be put to the test tonight.

• Advertisement

Windscreen cleared nicely this morning. Just jumping into a cleared car all warmed up was nice

Advertisement