Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You'd wonder as well if the likelihood is that we'll bring 2 scrum-halves to the RWC; at the moment that seems like JGP and Murray, but Casey is obviously a more like-for-like replacement for JGP.

It could be a big season for Casey, and I think, akin to 2011, it's possible we could see a bit of a surprise selection.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yep because average to poor performing players get nominated for WPOTY all the time. Drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

If Connors gets back to where he was it's not a big drop off from VDF. After that it drops a bit but Timoney is looking good.

Agree with a few above that 10 is the biggest drop if Sexton is out. 1 and 3 next but Bealham is definitely easing the earlier worries at 3.

The back line looks a different animal when Lowe is there and firing but we've plenty of options when he's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

As in Doak to supplant Murray akin to his supplanting of TO'L?

I think they will definitely bring 2 SH and 3 OH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I appreciate Sexton is a great player when he is on song, but he has a lot of games where is is average to poor,

Such as?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ah to be fair to Jack he might not be talking about Sexton.

He might be talking about literally every other player to have ever played the game.....

If not having poor games is a stick to beat someone they had better start whacking.

It's a real pity that Jack McGrath's hip problems seem to have robbed him of his career. A fit and healthy Lions test loosehead would be ideal to have albeit Cian Healy still more than holding his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Jack is onto something. Sit Sexton for the 6nations and give zoolander a chance. God knows he needs the chance! Have Crowley on the bench. Sexton at 37 is probably on the decline and even though he's far better than all the other 10's, there's nothing to be learned from playing Sexton. Carberry has not been given a good run. It's time to see what he's got. Carberry can only improve. His starting point is not very high so, a little game time and he could step up! If he doesn't then there's young Crowley. It's a win win.

No he's not. We'd just be throwing away our best shot at a slam since 2018 for nothing.

Carberry has not been given a good run.

1. Japan (home)
    2. USA (home)
    3. Argentina (home)
    4. France (away)
    5. Italy (home)
    6. New Zealand (away) *didn't start but played 60 minutes
    7. Fiji (home)

That's 7 of Ireland's last 15 games. All games Carbery has started since he came back from his long term injury early in 2021. Not to mention the starts he had pre-Farrell. And the fact that he's been Munster's undisputed starting 10 in that time period regardless of his form and bar a couple of good games, has been very average. How many "chances" does he need to get before people are satisfied? The argument that he "hasn't been given a good run" is utter rubbish. He's been given far more opportunity than he frankly deserves, and rarely shown anything other than mediocrity. He wouldn't start for any tier one nation and probably wouldn't make the 23 either.

Some of us actually want Ireland to win some trophies. And by giving Carbery the whole 6N, you just reduce our chances of that substantially, for nothing. If he shows some form for Munster, I'd be open to him maybe starting v Italy. But that's potentially a big banana skin game and I'm not even sure I'd trust him in that.

Answer me this. After all those starts for Munster and Ireland, is Carbery any better now than he was in mid 2021? I don't think so personally. So what's another 5 starts going to do for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In a million years, we're never going to leave a fit Sexton out of the Six Nations. No point debating it and certainly no point getting worked up about it.

In a million years, we're never going to leave a fit Sexton out of the Six Nations

And nor should we

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Don't think Sexton will still be first choice when he's 1,000,037 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Osbourne could be one to look at as a possible replacement for Lowe in the future. He has all those attributes, tho it remains to be seen if he can develop Lowe's scoring proficiency.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’d agree with almost the entire crux of this TRC, but on this:

Answer me this. After all those starts for Munster and Ireland, is Carbery any better now than he was in mid 2021?

From 10 anyways, I feel he’s been taking it flatter and happier to take contact this season than all of last. Small signs but a little encouraging.

(Now, whether that’s down to starts is something else entirely alright, mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Once again, it's irrelevant if Carbery is better now than he was, the only thing that matters is whether or not anyone else is better than him. As of now, they aren't.

Grand. Let him back up Sexton from the bench. I didn't argue against that.

But the suggestion that we should just throw away a potential grand slam, just to get him some more games, when he's been getting plenty of games for club and country and not improving, is utterly insane.

The best thing for Ireland's development going into the world cup, without question, is to have as strong a 6N as possible and win a GS.

If he's improved, it's marginal. I don't think he's closed the gap between himself and Sexton much (if at all).

He certainly hasn't improved enough to justify throwing away a 6N in the blind hope that he improves a bit more. It's an utterly nonsensical suggestion.

The amount of faith Munster have shown in him frankly amazes me.

No he's still bang average. Carberry wouldn't start for any tier 1 side however, Sexton is 37! He's also brilliant and is easily the best 10 we have. But Carberry could end up starting for us in the world cup. If Sexton is injured or his form falls apart then zoolander is up. I reckon it's an opportunity to see how we perform with a bang average 10!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We've already seen how we perform with a "bang average" 10

We do not need to reduce our chances of winning a 6 nations title to do experimentation that we have already done before.

At this stage we have only got the six nations (where we will not be experimenting) and the rwc warm ups (where we will be consolidating) before RWC 23.

The time for experimenting is over.

Carbery is sextons back up.

• Advertisement

Of course, Carberry is over rated. Always has been. If anything, the gap from Sexton to Carberry is probably bigger. I hope that Crowley can make the leap.

If Sexton goes down....

I don't think Carbery is over rated, he's rated against what he showed earlier in his career but injury and dire coaching has diminished him as a player.

The move to Munster hasn't worked out for him at all and the IRFU got that one wrong.

Not blaming Munster here either, loads of fault in the appointment of JVG from the blazers through to Nucifora.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

The idea that we would intentionally hamstring ourselves by playing an average player in the most important position on the pitch, during the most important competition in Irish rugby, is absolute fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Didn't the IRFU want him to come up North and Munster was his insistence?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Is there any solid word about who we will be playing in the rwc warm ups and how many warm ups we will have?

Just two confirmed as far as I'm aware: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Rugby_World_Cup_warm-up_matches

Ever since David Wallace I tend to watch those games through my fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Not forgetting BOD sinus fracture & Geordan Murphy before that.

The only thing that seems to happen in the RWC warm-up matches is players play themselves off the squad or they get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wonder if we will want more.

I would think we might want fixtures on the 12th and 26th of August.

We might not. The schedule is almost set up for us to warm up through the tournament (SA and Scotland are our 3rd and 4th fixtures).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sleepy Joseph

6 nations is small beer compared to the World Cup. It’s this attitude that has fouled our previous world cups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I'm not a fan of them. Not sure what you get from them really. We go into the 6 nations 'cold'. Can do so for the world cup too. Play a few games behind close doors against A team or something.

Advertisement