Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracts signed, funds released buyer won't give keys?

Options
  • 01-12-2022 5:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi all, we signed contracts last week, and yesterday funds where released. I expected keys on Friday as all was now in order.

I got email from my solicitor at 6pm vendors have not moved oug and now are moving on 10th/11th. And us closing sale on 12th. Vendors don't live there anymore just use it for furniture storage.

Thing is I took week off work for the move, booked vans & painters. Its a disaster as nobody now is going to paint hous 2 weeks before Xmas. And I have furniture arriving shortly.

When I viewed the house I enquired about furniture & EA said seller wants to sell but for additional fee. I never recieved how much they wanted for it, 2 weeks agoo out of blue I got bill from EA for 1.5 k but I allready Baught furniture so I said no I don't want it no more. And as I said before they used it as storage for furniture. I would have then presumed they would have moved their items out 2 weeks agoo. Not now.

My question is can I request them to move out their stuff earlier? Or am I now at mercy of them?

Comments

Once there was a completion date, contracts are signed by both parties and funds are released I presume the house is now yours with or without keys. It would be worth asking your solicitor to contact their solicitor and inform them that you will be sending them a bill for any additional costs you incur by not being able to move in on the agreed date including your own rent and a fee for the storage of their furniture.it might speed up the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

In the op the solicitor has informed him/her that closing date has been moved to the 12th. It’s a pain, but it happens, the funds may still be in op’s solicitors account until the 12th, so sending the sellers a bill is a waste of the price of a stamp.

But generally wouldn't it be best practice for the contracts the OP signed last week contain a closing date for the sale?

What's to stop the seller from hanging onto the keys beyond the 12TH if there is no agreement in place?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Did you ask your solicitor? They are best placed to answer you.

RING your Solicitor, no emails! He/she is being paid to represent you!

The moving date should have been clear from the start. Having said that contracts were signed in my case by both parties but until the funds were released by their mortgage provider we didn't move. I would have thought funds being transferred is the time you move. Not 2 weeks later! That's awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mea_k

Contacted solicitor, solicitor rang the vendors - and no they are not budging.

Feels like bit out of spite that we did not take their crappy furniture.

So now it's the 12th... So I'll be working 18hr days comming up to Xmas...

With a small child. With full time work & moving!

Over all I can't wait untill this is done with, as I now officially cannot stand - their solicitor that was incompetent and couldn't gather all the documents ( sorted issues regarding house myself ) & vendor.

Hopefully no delays after 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If the funds have been handed over then it's your house. Tell them to get it out by Sunday evening. On monday get a lock smith and change the locks. Any furniture left will be dumped.

If you haven't exchanged funds then there is nothing you can do but arrange a final inspection of the house and check the attic make sure it's not full of junk. If they delayed closing then you do same make them clear the house out.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

I don't understand how contracts were signed without a date?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Doesn't really matter tbh, the closing date often shifts so they're of limited value.

The idea that you'd march in and turf the vendors out because it's closing date isn't really the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Perhaps put the ball in the vendor's court. Tell the vendor that you have booked painters, you have bought furniture for the initial date and you cannot postpone. So what is the solution they offer??

Living the life

• Advertisement

So far no solution. Apart from waiting. I'm actually so deplated. I was so happy to finally reach my dreams of having home. I know it's silly to crib im lucky to have achieved this & I should be grateful for that.

But I still feel like they have take that little magic out of it - over all they have been nothing but nuisance to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You do need to be very clear with these transactions. They only left the furniture because you told them you wanted it. Then after they have finished moving, you tell them you don't want it.

Now they need the time to rebook movers, and find storage while trying to get into their own new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Allinall

OP never said they wanted the furniture. They enquired about it. That's all. There was no agreement.

When the OP asked if they can have the furniture, and they were told yes for a fee. This was the point where they say no.

Otherwise, the agent will think they do want the furniture for a fee. Which is clearly what happened.

It should have been for free. They will hardly get any money for second hand furniture 🤣.

There is lovely furniture, people give away for free and this greedy muts wanted money and yet they didn't respond to OP when she asked what is the price.

There was no deal made on furniture so don't twist it now that OP is at fault.

The vendor knew they had to deal with the furniture if they sold the house, that is not news!

So fault is with them full stop.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I think you are mistaken. This is what the OP said:

EA said seller wants to sell but for additional fee. I never recieved how much they wanted for it,

They then received a bill, without having agreed to buy the furniture.

"I would like to keep the furniture"

"You can keep the furniture but there is a fee"

Then everyone just stands there saying nothing........ 🤣

You are generous with other peoples money.

Ive sold used furniture to people buying the house it was in, and to another buyer kitting out a rental.

Completion delays aren’t unusual, it is often the buyer who delays it, so no point getting bent out of shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

I can see why you are annoyed here, but I can also see why they are. Did you ask them how much the fee was back when you enquired about furniture? Did they clarify if you were buying it or not?

We are currently selling our house and agreed the fee with the buyer via the estate agent. We informed our solicitor of the fee agreed and the list of furniture to be sold so that he could include it in the contracts. We didn't want to be in your vendors position trying to clear a house out at the last minute if the buyer changed their mind on the furniture.

I would suggest either offering to pay the fee (you could try and haggle it down a bit, as it saves them hassle now too) and move in as it is, or wait it out.

The whole process is so stressful, to be so close and to be held up at this stage is frustrating, but it will be worth it in the end!

Dav010, I think we all know by now your level.

Yes, plenty of nice good quality furniture going for free on few sites, no need for this carry on.

In fact, the buyer would have done the vendor a favour by taking the furniture for free so vendor doesn't have costs in removing them and dumping them.

Living the life

• Advertisement

My level is that there should be no assumption that the furniture should be included for free.

Why are you also assuming the vendor will dump the furniture?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

OP, just keep hassling your solicitor.

They sound useless but you are paying them for situations like this.

Exactly why did the OP receive a whooping bill of 1500 for something she never agreed in the first place.

Someone else junk for her to pay 1500 😜. Vendor is a chancer

Living the life

Internet is full of delusionals trying to sell their own worn out furniture for 10% less than what they paid brand new. Don't see many takers.

Living the life

Just to clarify. When I went to see the house I enquired. But EA had no price 2 months passed by and nothing about furniture. So I assumed they decided either give it away to someone mone they know, or not sell.

I wouldn't deliberately cause hassle to anyone, so since I didn't recieve any response we started to look at furniture our selves.

We paid 4k for furniture we wanted, and was happy with untill they came and asked money for theirs. I would have probably Baught it if it was less money and they would have actually came with price earlier but It did look quite worn.

I'm now calmed down alot and have just awaiting now, my painter is annoyed but I can't do anything about it.

You done nothing wrong at all, you caused no hassle.

The vendor is a chancer trying to send you a bill for 1500 for worn out furniture. Fat chance he will get that in the open market. Plenty of decent second hand furniture going for free.

2 months waiting for a price is a bit of a cheek. It will be more hassle for the vendor to get rid of the worn out furniture as even a van removal will cost him money.

Living the life

Advertisement