Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I gather you think your response shows that you are "smart". When it only shows you don't understand potential implications.

Anyway, more on the topic here. It hit the redemption limit about an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

That's extremely interesting, it may very well be under pressure.

Back in 2019, CRH offloaded a poor enough preforming European distribution company to them for 1.9 billion and Blackstone gladly swept it up. If CRH couldn't squeeze anymore productivity out of it then I'd say Blackstone could have got burned badly by that deal.

Be no loss seeing a few institutional landlords get a rude awakening and if one falls then the spotlight will be on all the others balance sheets.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

But higher living standards cost money. When I left school the other lads that did apprentice's earned I would say below a median wage. Teachers, Nursres, Prison officers, Gardai, etc were earning more than qualified tradespeople at the start of there working life. A qualified trades person now earn as much as many of these at there max front year 2-3 after they are qualified

Now while the average house has probably less blocks, plastering and timber ( unless timber frame) it has double the plumbing and electrical.

So we if going to college a student spends 4-5 years in an ensuites bedroom compared to a 3-4 lads in room in digs, somebody has to pay for the extra resources used. It's costing 2-4 to e the money to put everything into that room before we include the ensuite

Slava Ukrainii

The things that old people go on about being luxuries are often not actually luxuries in modern times because they are now relatively cheap. "In my day I was only able to fly to London twice a year whereas now I see some young people going back and forth for a few long weekends a year" .... which doesn't take into account that a flight back in the day might have been more than a weeks wages whereas the student today is probably getting over and back for 20 quid. I hear that some of these pampered students these days even insist in indoor toilets rather than sh1tting into a bucket in a breezy outhouse too.

And I'm not sure where you are getting this guff about en-suites. I know a good few current students. One coming to mind now who is living in the front room of a rented house she shares with a gang of other students in Dublin. I don't think she demanded an en-suite be installed off of what is supposed to be a sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Advertisement

Dwic we have managed to automate many processes, especially in the area of technology. The amount of automation in building is relatively small compared to elsewhere in industry it exists but it has taken more the risk and manual labour out of certain areas of it.

On you example of air travel an air hostess in the 70's probably earned 20-30% more than a tradesperson and did 50% of the hours they do now. An airline pilot was a demi god back then. But I am not going to digress in there.

Most specific provided student accommodation will have a high percentage of ensuites. Even where rooms ate not in specific student accomodation it is mostly two rooms to a bathroom in exceptional cases three rooms

Slava Ukrainii

Quick question for you Bass. Transport yourself back to your early 20's. Have a think about the standard of living that your grandparents had at that time.

Is your standard of living today worse than, better than, or equal to what they had on an absolute level at your current age? Lets even consider the basics of food and shelter. Comforts in your house etc.

(I don't think most students get to live in student accommodation btw but that is a different matter. You are trying to compare people making use of old facilities with purpose built facilities. It would likely be far more efficient to build a dedicated student block with en-suites from scratch on a brownfield site than to use that site to build a couple of semi-Ds with only one toilet in each)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Regarding the guff about en-suites, I refer to my comment about how certain posters in this forum only know a handful of people under 35, and those they know are wasteful rich kids with iPhone 14s and 222 Golfs and don’t understand how the other 99% of people under 35 live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Well if a big investment fund goes belly up, I would wager that a state-sponsored bailout will be on the cards.

But that increase in living standard costs, somebody somewhere is or has paid for it.

You seem to think that those in the construction sector should return to the virtual indentured slavery that was there lot until the noughties.

We have shifted resources away from the basic of food and shelter and transfered them to lifestyle choices.

The biggest factor in housing is supply. Because of restricted supply we have the issue we are trying to deal with. However the resources required are in more demand and there is less of them

That is in either Labour, skills or materials.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

To be fair, it's not going "belly up". In order to prevent firesales it limits the amount that can be redeemed in different time periods (this is a liquidity protection mechanism). The pertinent information is that investors (which tend to be wealthy people and institutions) are minded to be pulling their money out. There wouldn't be any state bailout if they did go to the wall.

What would you make more money off? Building a block of 50 student apartments with en-suites and selling them for say 200k each, or throwing up 10 semi-Ds on the same site and selling them for 400k each? Building something from greenfield or brownfield is usually more economic than trying to retrofit. I think that these en-suites you are referring to are newly purpose built student housing.

Your own standard of living today is likely higher than your grandparents was at your age. I doubt it's because they were lazy or eating too many avocados. I'm using that example to point out that it isn't really valid to do a simple comparison of standards from different time periods. You comparing your own late teens or early 20's to late teens or early 20's of today and concluding something from it would be the same as me comparing your own standard of living today with your grandparents back then and concluding they must have been lazy because they didn't have a centrally heated house and freezer full of foods from around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Is there a way to mute Donald Trump?, keeps on waffling about non related topics.

Donald, you speak more rubbish then the real thing.

Well, below is an example of your own stellar contribution from just above

Luckily you warned us Nostradamus. Although it's not really fair to be teasing us and not telling us the details of your secret knowledge and insight.

Thread is about the housing market. I commented above on people trying to get their investments out of a massive property investment fund. And also that purpose built accommodation with dreaded en-suites might not be that inefficient compared to "traditional" housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Doubt it. We're an extremely indebted nation now....

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

It's amazing how we're in December now yet months ago on here people were predicting the economy would be in a ball by now. Hasn't happened.

Yes some small businesses may close in January but its not near as grim as predicted

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thanks, i was more interested in what that poster had to say specifically rather than some variant of:

the world is ending

people have no idea whats coming

there will be blood on the streets wait and see

etc etc

You are gone off on another tangent completely again Donald but I will explain to you

It would be moot which would be more profitable. The student apartments would take longer to get planning and cost multiples to design. As well the builder would have to complete the structure either through bank or other finance and will see no profit until the complete structure is finished. The ten houses semi D's

Could be stage build and sold even if not it would be a relatively easy process to finance and build with less regulations to be adhered to. It actually shows you lack of understanding of of the building sector. Pre COVID I remember reading an article of somewhat similar issues in Commuter towns in Cork, one served by a rail connection the LA had a density requirements that needed about 50,% apartments in site, builder were not building on the sites as there was not that demand for that density. They could sell semiD's and townhouses but there was very little demand for apartments

On my grandparents both them and my greatGP, farmed and made a living off a farm, actually they were extremely well off ( for there time)as there was an Orchard and they sold a lot of eating apples( before the advent of Grannysmiths and Pink Ladies). However agriculture efficiency now means the same farm was is not cable of sustaining less than the minimum wage.

Productivity changed the living to be got from it. Considering that they had a good standard of living for there era now there is no sustainable income from it.

From the 60- now cheap energy drove living standards. Only in the 90/00's did discretionary income spending balloon. Now because resources are more expensive and availability being curtailed it discretionary spending is coming under threat.

Basically what that means is that building cost more due to a multiple of factors

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I think the majority of sentiment was that we would see the end of the year out and December is not looking great either the only saving grace is the fact is Xmas falls in this month. People seem to forget the quintessential Irish mentality of having a last hoorah before the gloom kicks in. I put an analogy of being in the pub and the bell for last orders sound which I would equate to now (December with xmas around the corner) and it being last orders and being half p1ssed ye go up and order 3 pints for you and your group of merry makers and a whiskey to top it off. Slapping it on the card as you have ran out of cash and Its great while your drinking it and your buddies think your the man for buying this round, yet come the next morning (Jan/Feb/March of next year) when you have to get up for work , your heads in bits , you have a few Scheckels (not enough for bus fair) and your scrambling to see if you can find the rest of the fare.

Our politicians are not the only ones who kick financial issues down the road (there was a huge uptake of spending going on credit cards towards the end of this year). With higher energy costs and inflation still raging and interest rates set to climb a good deal higher there will be no options for the unwashed masses but to cut right back to the bare essentials and this is already happening. Unfortunately we are going to see a lot more job losses and I can see us having to pay more tax and getting less services for the next couple of years due to the recession that will be starting early next year. The tech jobs are eroding away with Intel the latest getting in on the act. Not to mention SMEs simply hitting the wall with the increase in costs that they simply cannot continue to pay and stay solvent and a lot are hanging on for the xmas bounce like every year Jan, Feb and even most of March are horrible times for anyone working in certain areas in the economy like restaurants, pubs etc.. Already insolvencies are way up from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

There is a bit of softening in the market but not sure if that's down to interest rates etc, due to the time of year or being overpriced to start with.

We went sale agreed in August for 85k over asking. We got 60k over asking on our sale. Probably around an increase of 12/15% respectively on the asking prices.

We missed out on a lot of house and tracked them when they closed so I feel I have a decent idea of the value in the area we looked at. The asking price means nothing because generally estate agents just put it up at around the price something similar sold for.

I've seen a few houses go up recently that were at least 10% overpriced to start with and either have dropped in price or have no bids on them yet.

• Advertisement

I think that what we're seeing is the shedding of the inflation that was caused by the lockdowns. Probably, the market is going back where it was in 2019, and it likely will rise from there. Demand is very high, the country is awash with cash and the state has proven that it will sacrifice just about anything to keep prices up. In other words, I think the market is softening, but it's not crashing.

I could, of course, be wrong, and I actually hope that I am wrong. We need something to knock the stuffing out of this market, because it's causing a demographic disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭DataDude

Ignoring possible effects of interest rates the above would seem sensible.

Only counter is average earnings are up about 13% from Q3 2019 to now and probably looking at at least another 5% next year with inflation running high.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Constantly rising wages is something that I worry about. We're already seeing very large rises in the public sector and a lot of the private sector. This simply adds up to more cash that chases a limited supply of goods. Ergo, more inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭DataDude

Yup! And with the whole multiplier limit in bank lending - in normal circumstances it would directly feed through to borrowers being able to fire more money at the same limited number of houses.

Higher incomes AND higher lending limits you’d imagine would be disastrous for prices. But then the bank response to higher rates may more than offset that. Who knows!

The big one to watch will be the BPFI mortgage approval data. Volumes of mortgages are already starting to fall. Average loan values have also dipped since July. Any spike in January will interesting.

Average FTB mortgage approval amounts are up 20% since 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Wage stagnation is bad.

Rising wages is bad.

Solution is still to build more houses.

I think a lot of people cannot understand the solution is to build more houses.

It's the same with the rental sector. The solution is to get more supply. That means encouraging people with houses that they are not renting to rent them. However present regulation's discourage that

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

very similar to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...again, current inflationary pressures are primarily coming from the supply side, i.e. virtually nothing to do with the demand side, i.e. the money supply, the solution to this is resolving supply chain problems, including stabilizing energy markets. wage inflation has remained low in comparison to asset prices inflation, these have now decoupled, solution, reduce the rate of asset price inflation, and slowly increase wages!

• Advertisement

It's both. Supply chains were disrupted by lockdowns, and the "solution" of printing more money added to inflation.

It takes time to build a house or an apartment block, and rising costs are making that more difficult. There's no one-bullet to the housing crisis. We need a discussion that considers building, immigration, social welfare, investment funds and all other aspects that have contributed to this mess. Sadly, this discussion was needed years ago, and it's seemingly not possible to have discourse anymore without people screaming at each other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement