Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

Having trouble finding a company that will install in West mayo. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭sligopaul

@LunaLoo , just pm'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lulubob

Thanks for responses, some knowledge on this forum. Company seem to have made a case for Huawai.... Lada v Merc! I am impressed by their comprehensive quote, the reps knowledge, the 75 excellent google reviews and the technology but have only got them down by €200. Is the price way off the mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

How many optimisers? Lada v Merc is hardly true, not a huge quality or performance difference compared to the price difference! Also you are restricted to certain high priced batteries with that invertor.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I'd roll in behind con747. Really as much as some companies like to differentiate their brand as "better" than another, there really isn't much between all the makes/models out there. They all are fairly reliable pieces of kit - perform a function and will quite happily do that function for years. Sure, like any electronic device you get failures, but no more/less than things like TV's or computers. Things do go faulty and you'll have your warranty cover that if so - to a point of course.

Ultimately, you should pick your supplier based on how comfortable you are with dealing with them along with the price. Price is important of course, but if you have a supplier who you like, is responsive and costs 10% more than your next best quote, sure makes sense to go with them. But don't be fooled by marketing spiel that battery "x" which costs a massive premium over another battery is worth the money. Your dishwasher/xbox doesn't care where the electron was stored :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Hi all,

I'm a long time follower of this thread and got my first quote,

its for a 3.16KW system, 8x Q.PEAK DUO BLK M-G11+ SERIES panels , Solis Dual MPPT String Inverter & eddi

Quoted 6652 after grant, so a little over 2g per kw which i know is on the high side as people have said it should be about 1.2 per kw

Would others thing the same?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Should ber better value out there. I got a 2.5kwp system in mid 2020 from SAAS and it cost 20E a month for 120 months, their prices have gone crazy.The whole solar/grant system needs an overhaul,some installers are way too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 whelanlm

Long time follower and wanted to get some opinions on this quote.

Both myself and my wife work from home, immersion usage early morning and for kids baths in the evening.

System size: 12 Panel 5.04kWp

Including: Huawei Inverter, MyEnergi Eddi

Expected output: 4536 – 5040 kWh/year

Cost inc Vat 10.7k

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DonieMcL

Hi, wanted to get some opinions on this quote.

Both myself and my wife work from home, immersion usage early morning.

System size: 4KW - PV Panels – Leapton 400w by 10 - All black Panels.

Panel Mounting – Renusol

Inverter - Solis single phase 5G inverter.

Total cost: €8,200 including VAT.

SEAI Grant - €2,400

Price after grant - €5,800

Optional Hot water €700 for Eddi Divertor

Optional Battery – Add €3,500 for 5.1 CFE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

I've live 4 months now and paid €1500 per 1kWp. Would have gotten quotes around April at those prices. Some quotes were higher. Mine's a 5kWp which is small. So it's hard on smaller ones to get it lower. Most of their work is labour costs for 2 x roofers and sparks. See can you get the largest the pocket can afford and roof can fit. Price should drop per kWp of panels then.

Or compare to solar as a service as other say.

I'd deffo recommend getting it. We're heating parts of our house now from solar, which means we don't have to worry about gas and electricity bills this winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Would like some feedback on this quote from a local Cork supplier please,

10 400 watt panels 1722 x 1134mm

Solis Inverter single phase, Dual string with Irish configuration

Pitched roof mounting kit, retrofit kit, clamps, brackets etc.

MC4 Connectors male & female

- 2-Pole DC Isolator switch - IP66/67

- 4-Pole AC Isolator switch - IP6/67

- Power Diverter. Diverts all excess energy towards immersion heater.

- Wi-Fi Remote Monitoring.

€6100 after grant.

€400 extra to upgrade to all black panels.

No battery required as we're home all day. South facing roof.

Get him to throw in the all black panels for the same price as the other one's if that's what you want but it makes no difference really unless you want them. The price then wouldn't be the worst out there. Look at quote just above. Post #3943

The way the market is these days it's not a bad quote as such but the battery should be cheaper around €2600 max for the likes of a Puredrive 5kwh. Post #3945 and your quote might be the same installer?

Post edited by con747 on

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Colm82

@Mua @Muahahaha the reason is that their system is way overpriced but that's their current rates and probably in line with most other providers at the moment. I got an 11 panel system with an eddi off them in June for 49.50 pm so 6k total cost after grant, shows how things have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah the price you guys paid compared to what Im being quoted now (55 per month x 120 months) certainly shows how prices have risen substantially. I think we are talking about the same SaaS company and right now on their website it says 'From 29.99 a month' so I am a bit miffed about getting a quote for 55 a month for a small 2.4kwp system with no hot water diverter. Between that and the 1,200 charge for scaffolding it would take almost 20 years to pay itself back so I just have to rule this company out as it is totally uneconomical at the price they have come in at. Its a pity as I like the idea of Saas but in my head I was thinking if the payback period was 10 years then even though its high I would go with it. But for them to come back with almost double that left me agog.

Im also questioning the grant system. Going by the 1,200 per kwp guideline a 2.4kwp system would be 2,880 with the grant paying 2,000 of that. Even if it was 1,500 per kwp it would come to 3,600 so 1,600 net of the grant. It seems these companies are putting 100% of the grant in their back pockets and then charging full whack for installation anyway which puts me off getting solar.

Im going to get 3 or 4 quotes off traditional pay up front companies and see what they come in at. But if its insane prices that result in silly payback periods of 20 years then it is a non starter. If anyone has a recommendation of a company who arent taking the entire grant for themselves then I would appreciate a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Which ground mount are they using? Does this cover all the groundwork’s to get the DC cables into your home?

The public prices on mid summer are very high. 10kw of luna should be costing < 7300 for the two 5kWh battery units and the control module. Shop around plenty of other suppliers of huawei gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 saccaromyces

I got similar system with 2x 2.4 batteries for 16k. With the price of batteries I'd say it's ok. But not everone will agree as roof mount seems to come in 2 to 3k cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 saccaromyces

I did a diy project on a property and paid:

1500 for the concrete foundations and ground works to get the DC cables back to the house. This includes conduit and a new electrical enclosure built into the wall. The panels are 45M from the house.

2500 euro for the racking that can accommodate 20 x 415W panels.

ground mount is for sure going to justifiably add some extra costs to a project.

if your going with this quote get them to upgrade you to the 6kW huawei inverter. It should be about 100 euro extra. Might as well max out the NC6 request.

also I would recommend asking the installer to use a 415W panel. It should only add about an additional 250-300 euro cost to the project with basically no additional labour needed. It will give you an extra 0.9kWp on that 20 panel array. 20 415 w panels it like 22.5 of the 370w panels.

• Advertisement

Also; get them to put the inverter somewhere that you can add batteries < 10M away in the future. Adding the battery to a huawei is a very easy job if you have planned ahead and left the necessary space needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

A friend of mine who runs a Solar install company just told me that Huawei are putting up their price next week. 14% on the inverter and battery by 10%.

They already went up. The prices I mentioned already include the price increases. It would have been <7000 for 10kWh a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You have to bear in mind that the "formula" doesn't really work down at the lower end of the spectrum (2-3Kwp). The reason is, is that when a supplier is installing panels, it costs roughly the same to get 2x guys out on the roof to install 6 panels as it does to get 2x guys out on the roof to install 10 panels. They also have to pay for the person answering the phone, support, advertising, etc. which are fixed irrespective of if you are getting 8 panels or 18. This is why there is more "value" in larger systems and why it's very difficult (if not impossible) to get a quote down in the lower ranges which match/beat the formula.

All these "fixed costs" have to be recouped before they start to make a profit on an install. Same with the batteries too. Larger batteries are just more cost competitive (per Kwhr) than a smaller one.

What is the “formula” at the moment? It’s not what’s posted on page one right.

It is, I think the way prices are now it should be reviewed because very few have received quotes in that range these days. It is still possible but not the norm.

yeah I get you, the labour is more or less the same so no way am I getting a 2.4kwp system at the stated 1,200 per kwp. But also no way would I pay almost 10,000 euro for it either. If I can find a company that quotes me in the 1,500-1,600 per kwp range Id go with that, the only quote Ive gotten so far is from a Saas company so I need to get a few from the more conventional pay up front companies.

If I cant find anything reasonable that wont leave me with a payback period in excess of 10 years then I might look into forgoing the grant and employing direct labour as I know a sparks who would do it as a Saturday nixer so would just have to find a roofing company. It seems solar companies are swallowing the grant for themselves anyway so it might not make any odds.

• Advertisement

thanks con I will go through that and get a few quotes in. Im just a bit busy with work lately but not am in a rush either way so long as its installed by April so I can take advantage of the longer days from the get go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement