Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

I'd be more looking at how clever/attentive/motivated your planner is than trying to save a couple of hundred euro a year.

There is BIG money in some of these schemes and maximizing it whilst minimizing the inputs/work/cost would be the most important thing I'd imagine.

These guys are the key to our future viability as far as I can see.

That's why I left Teagasc several years ago - the new lad paid for that decision in one year.

The Teagasc guy was an absolute dunce who couldn't add, couldn't concentrate or remember details, couldn't see ways into schemes and balance the pros/cons against each other.

More than once I had to pull apart mine or my oul lads applications myself to sort out some glaringly obvious ****-up after him.

A good planner is critical to success these days.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

I agree totally with you .i had all my options for acres ,total meter lengths etc for both planners and still a vast difference in payment sought.if u havent acres plan 95% sorted urself they can lead i up the garden path in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Seems to be right ballpark, which is crazy, no farm visit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭joe35

Folks sorry to hijack this discussion, but what is GAEC 8 and SFN got to do with for payment.

I'm eligible for both but not sure how this will benefit me

• Advertisement

You get to relax. New cap if you have 10k in entitlements 75% you get and the balance requires you to take/do 2 environmental actions ie plany trees or extensive stock etc. The GAEC SFN means that if your farm has 10 per cent space for nature you have done your 2 actions and that is that, Hedge is 15 metres wide under the scheme even if it is not; the IFA helped on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Any chance of ACRES deadline being extended?

Don't think I'll be ready by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

.Already extended for nearly 3 weeks and you are still not ready. A joke surely? Submitted mine 24 oct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

Christ...it may not be within the posters control

For one thing they have to get a third party to submit the plan, maybe they struggled to get one, maybe they dropped one that was doing sfa to get another etc

Even if the submission bit was purely within their control there could be multiple reasons it was delayed outside of their control ffs

You really need to get control of your language. When a person is putting up a post like that it would be normal to state if there was a reason for their delay in applying. With Teagasc here, had no problem getting appointment even though I only transferred to them some months ago.For the past number of months we all knew that there would be a rush to get plans done . What would be posters position of there was no extension.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

I'd be of the opinion my language was quite mild tbh......compared to what I'd feel like saying or would in real life 🤣...then again I come from a rough enough uncouth part of the country....my apologies if I upset your delicate constitution

You'd need to get control of the condescension and attitude though imo

I think you are wrong on all counts too...

Poster simply asked if others thought there might be an extension ....so just looking for opinions....they are under no obligation to state any reason for the delay....+ it's not as if the reason is going to factor into anyone's thoughts on the likelihood of an extension....perhaps if they were asking about an individual extension but then again under no obligation to give reasons which may be personal info or info that would identify tbh

"With teagasc here"

Great it worked for you....with your teagasc office in your area...you have no earthly idea if it was such smooth sailing for everybody else ....speaking from personal experience it would be like pulling teeth with my nearest office...which is why I tried an alternative

BTW that alternative is working all the way up to the new deadline on plans.....now you could blame the farmer, the planner or the deadline and those that set it for that ....but you jump straight to the still not ready, deadline extended by 3 weeks! ...its not much better than a kid smugly announcing they got the homework done ahead of everyone else

"For the past number of months we all knew"

Again you have no idea what kind of circumstances might be involved

May only have gotten the herd number, transferred the farm etc not to mention personal circumstances....the sheer ignorance of the we all knew I have it done, why don't you stands out for me tbh...

I

How did he think people on boards would know the answer? Dept would have been a better bet. I would hate to be dealing with you on a daily basis if you can fly off the handle so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Because its a discussion forum, and usually their is a faster response and opinion here, than of an acres consultancy, or any department for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

I think you reacted pretty sharply to the poster with a “I am alright jack” type attitude.

You were challenged and again tried to take a holler than you position mentioning “language”.

I suspect you didn’t mean your initial post to sound like it did but you ain’t improving your position with the current trajectory.

Continually reading in farming press about farmers who started applying since the extension was granted. Maybe it's just me but can't understand people leaving things to the last minute especially when there is money involved. Maybe it's my Catholic upbringing but can't see any reason for that type of language

The Dept been terrible with Acres and the ag advisors been not great with Acres. The final spec and term and condition for the Scheme is only dated November 2022; google it and you will see the changes in red on the document. Know lots of lads not been able to get ag advisors to do scheme.

Circular from the Deot about ACRES only the 11th Nov and see they haroing on about redigitising land; another nightmare down the line for us all.

As mentioned continuing the trajectory makes you look worse tbh. And as mentioned you don’t know the circumstances around why they have asked the question and have jumped to the conclusion that “they were lazy, left it to the last minute”

Maybe father died and he took the herd number over two weeks ago.

Maybe the planner died half way through the application and he needs a new planner now.

Maybe the guy is working 4 jobs and has three kids and just can’t find time to try figure the scheme out.

There are a million reasons why it just might not be organised yet.

In any case, you lack empathy for the poster. You must have missed that lesson during your “catholic upbringing”.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I returned the Teagasc expression of interest straight away after it arrived in the post. That was September I think. Heard nothing for weeks, rang the advisor I normally dealt with and the opinion I got was they were dealing with guaranteed Cat 1 applicants, but he said he would try to get to me. Heard nothing until this week and I was away. He is calling to me Monday .

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RockOrBog

I've no Acres application or Fodder support 2023 done yet despite my best efforts, my planner of over 5 years is acting the bollox big time and is now inexplicably ignoring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭tanko

You can apply for the fodder scheme yourself on Agfood.ie.

You need a planner to apply for Acres unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I cannot understand the amount of lads that do not do the basic stuff on Agfood. I always do my own BPS, I did the fodder and the slaughter payments. It's really basic box ticking.

By doing it you learn how to navigate around the system. I even did the first TAMs for the H&S, ( yards lights, scales and portable crush) I not sure is it compulsory to use a planner noe

Slava Ukrainii

Easy understand given the age profile of farmers and the fact that many part time farmers would not have side jobs that involve computer work.

Appreciate you are not a spring chicken (maybe you old day job involved being IT savvy or you went and learned it) but the exception proves the rule.

I am surprised that people use planners for the basic rather than a child/ nephew etc. Fear I guess.

5 or 6 years ago I forgot to do application for the BPS for my father…thought I had it done….. Only realised when the advance payment didn’t arrive. Had a few hoops to jump through to get it sorted in the end without penalty. Got some good advice.

I don't want to risk not getting the bread & butter, no second job to fall back on if it goes wrong.

I would take no notice of some older farmers, however most lads in the 50 now must be making bank payments or booking flights online.

Ya I spend the last 25 years of my working life using a computer/laptop to do some elements of my job. I would not call it IT or any sort of programing.

It harder to book a flight on Ryanair than to fill out your BPS form.

The only skill I have that is different is probably I worked in an area that changed fairly rapidly throughout my career and I had to change with it

I always needed it as well it was making repayments or putting kids through college. I spend 15 years making substantial payments on the farm.

I think it easier to fill out the BPS than it is to check in online for a flight. I see women that never worked anywhere near a computer do that.

The only time there is any change is when the scheme changes like next year. There may be tweaking to be done.

Last time the scheme changed the Teagasc advisor did not want to make changes I wanted to make in the area and take out an area with reed. I had an awful job reducing it to 30% department wanted to exclude the whole area two years later but there was small areas within it without reed that I managed to show them.tgat covered the 30%. So you need to be careful with them as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

They won't accept your ACRES application, only a registered planner can apply on your behalf.

I have plenty computer experience and still wary of the agfood site, though it has somewhat improved to sort of "user friendly". What is annoying is the log in, counting on your fingers for the 7 pin numbers placement. You'd wonder what the security is for, when they show the payments breakdown on CAP beneficiaries online.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

Met with my planner this am, two parcels of land totalling 18ha, both are in the cooperation zone, his face dropped when he opened up the computer. He started with the basics, and I've ended up with what looks like 1600 quid quarenteed if I get in, with a further 2700 if I remember correctly "if" I score 4/10 or above in the flower based selection in lipp, I don't think I'll get this as even though the place is poor enough, between the stones there's good grass. I've never been so disappointed, I was thinking in my own head and not been greedy if I got 6k in total out of the possible 7500 I'd be very happy...., But realistically I'll be getting the 1600, Unfortunately now I've to wait for the department to make up there mind for the 3k that's ring fenced for the cooperation area to see what sorta stuff they will want done. To see I'm fed up is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭grange mac

Why are you not planting hedging.... Blackthorn or white thorn... Coppicing?? That amount seems v low....

I would not be planting or managing hedges unless it suits.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

Have stone walls so won't be planting any hedges I've enough to do to keep the walls in good order. Can you have rappian zones in the cooperation zone??? He never mentioned it and I never asked as he kinda took the wind out of my sails when he started off with "oh thats not ideal" I can't think of anything else that would bring up the money. It is what it is I suppose. It's more then I'd get if I didn't apply and I won't be changing anything to collect what he has applied for so it's not the end of the world I'm just at a loss as to how others are touching close on the 7k having to do very little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Riparian zone, WBC plot and riparian margin here.

I have Dexters as well so tier 1 by that.

In the non cooperation zone.

That's a raw deal Anthony.

Advertisement