Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cure- 1st December 2022 3Arena

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yeah we were standing looking up amazed at the empty seats but they were all full by the time they got into it.

Found the first half a bit, well, uninspiring , dare I say, except Pictures of You but thereafter it was very good.

The last gig in Malahide Castle's setlist was the best, but they played more new material at this, some good some, not so good.

The graphics and lights were brilliant this time.

I would say they are wrecked from this tour at this stage.

I know I am, after one night 🤣

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

My God his voice is still amazing. Loved it. Wouldn't be overly familiar with the newer stuff but that End Song is amazing. Managed to get to the bar for a final pint in time for A Forest so the choreography worked a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

Average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Brilliant gig

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Would you normally be a fan?

That's pretty much how they always play, with a setlist that's hard to find realistic fault with if you don't mind long concerts and waiting around for the hits.

Maybe they can be a bit ho-hum live if you're not big into them but I'd find it hard to fault that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

First time seeing the The Cure. They never interested me back in the day but I thought I’d give them a whirl and I really enjoyed it.

The sound and visuals were great. 2.5 hour setlists are not the norm unless you go and see Springsteen. Personally, I was more interested in the deep cuts and new songs rather than the singles. I don’t need to hear Boys Don’t Cry again.

As a lifelong David Bowie fan, it was good to see Reeves Gabrels onstage again. However while he used to tear it up as Bowie’s lead guitarist, he never gets out of 1st gear playing with The Cure.

I did expect a more fanatical crowd, similiar to Depeche Mode’s fanbase, but that wasn’t the case. People in the balcony coming in an hour into the set and the constant trips to the bar was a serious problem where I was sitting.

A Forrest is an iconic song live. Other standouts were Shake Dog Shake and Lullaby. Chuffed to have seen them and I would definitely go again.

Next up, Placebo on Sunday 🤘😎🤘

Fingers crossed for Placebo. They cancelled Newcastle tonight due to Brian's voice.

He's a fragile boy is our Brian :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Heads up, Placebo is on Monday and not Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I had looked at the setlist during the week, and saw what songs were in the encore and my reaction was - wow, that's going to be unreal. But like you aluded to, when they ploughed through those hits - Friday, Inbetween Days, Close to you, Boys don't cry etc., it was alright but nothing special. I guess cause I had heard them so many times before and the band don't really do anything to bring them to life on stage. A lot of those tunes are similar sounding, and just not very exciting IMO.

I too was more interested in some of the other songs - Burn, Want, Charlotte, AForest was good, Lovesong, Pictures of You (which I think is way too early in the setlist), Shake Dog SHake and Endsong.

I was in for 8.15 and just got the beginning. The queue at that time for one of the seating areas was massive. Some of those people must have missed the first 20 mins of the gig. I don't know if it's the giggoers fault (turning up late), or if the 3Arena folks were not doing their properly. There were some people on the Luas on about going for a pint before the band come on at 9, so I guess there were many who were in the same boat - didn't realise it was to start at 8.15.

By the way - Placebo is Monday. Don't want you turning up disappointed 24 hours early. I'm heading to that too. Rally looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭roll

3 Arena folk made a balls of the entrance. no queue at entrance 1 and 3 and a queue (if you include 'snaking') of about 300m this caused havoc with a lot of seated people trying to find their seats in the dark. Result was the first half hour of the show was a farce upstairs. very poor form by the organisers whatever they thought they were trying to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭roll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Well I really enjoyed that even if a fifteen year old me who would have been seeing DRI, Suicidal Tendencies or Metallica when The Cure were at their height would have scoffed at the thought. Had a cheeky pint of Venezuelan rum and coke with ice and my brother beside me with a pint of Jameson and coke with ice cheating the bar for the last hour.

Will have to dust myself down for Fontaines DC tonight.

I had Fontaines on Wed and the Cure last night. Wish it was the other way around now. Fontaines were intense as hell, last night was great but a lot more low key. Don't get me wrong - I know we're not going to get a circle of death at a Cure gig. I'd love a Friday night hit of Fontaines without the burden of work the following morning. You have me temped now. I know I'm going to be snooping around toutless for the afternoon.

I hope you enjoy tonight. I saw Fontaines in Iveagh garden, and it was good. But in Vicar St, it's up to a whole new level. Wear a t-shirt. It was packed to the rafters and twas very sweaty!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

I saw them in Vicar Street in 2019 and it was one of the most jammed gigs I've ever been too. Iveagh Gardens gig was much more open and relaxed. I have a second ticket and if for whatever reason there is a no show I'll DM you for a transfer but not promising anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

What a fantastic gig, the build up, atmosphere and aesthetics of the first part were immense, it was a creative show rather than a straight up gig and they carried it off perfectly. The second set was great fun and a nice way to top off the night. Last time I saw them almost 20 years ago they didn't want to play the pop hits, so it nice to experience that. The playing and Roberts voice were great. Stand out moment for me was when they played Burn, incredible live song, visuals were perfect and happy they focused on the drummer, very powerful song.

The only complaint I have is a portion of the crowd... They played rainfall for 20 minutes before they came on, building an atmosphere and a tone, there were a huge amount of unoccupied seats around up... Then as soon as the music started people came up from the bar with their drinks and caused mayhem... A family of five came up right in front of us and faffed around for 5 minutes trying to figure out their seats and having the chats... Really pissed me off... People getting up to go to the bar every few minutes and a decent amount of people left after the first set, presumably pissed off that they didn't hear enough of the hits.

Apart from that the show was outstanding, I loved it... Like I said, it was a curated spectical and I had a great time...

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Photobox

Thought it was a fantastic gig, enjoyed every minute of it, Robert's voice is still strong. A forest was something else. Loved the way he just walked around the stage at the end on his own, he looked really chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That was a great gig, the sound/visuals were perfect and what a encore as I siad. Was in Block A but had a great view. The merch pricing was good for once. The Twilight Sad were decent but didn't play much of there top songs on Spotify

Not gone on the new stuff but song of the night for me was 'Lovesong'

I had 3 empty seats next to me but eventually they moved people to them. Was some load of messing about with people trying to find seats/bars/toilets etc

Could see them playing outdoors when/if they play here again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, great night, loved the visuals, sound great, he sounded amazing. Don't know the new stuff and wasn't blown away by it but certainly won't be bitching about their right to perform it when they're giving us 2 and a half hours. The old stuff in the first half really stood out, Pictures of You fantastic. Hanging Gardens maybe my favourite of the night. While I get the slight disdain for the final 40 minutes or so, they're still great songs, even 'Friday', they all sounded amazing and the atmosphere of bucolic rapture and goodwill to all men that it engendered in everyone around us was worth the admission. Loved it.

Didnt make it last night but it’s always unusual to see Pictures of You being played so early. You’d imagine it’s a show closer type of tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

It is nearly always played in the first 2 or 3 songs 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Overall I loved it. Had a great night. Just so happy to see them, Robert was so good, and the band is great. The visuals and sound were fantastic. I really enjoyed the set list, but would probably prefer a couple of the big hits interspersed earlier on and just leave 3 big ones to finish. No Lovecats which I wasn't too sad about, but I would have loved them to play Fascination Street. Really enjoyed Pictures of You, Lullaby, A Forest, Want, and Charlotte Sometimes.

That was my first gig in The Point for a decade and my first time seated in 20 years. Never sitting again. It was so frustrating, lack of atmosphere until the hits, and endless trips to bar. Two girls on my row went out over a dozen times, absolute muppets. The seat itself was grand at the back of Block J, with a fairly good view. There was huge disruption from latecomers too for the first 20 minutes - wasn't sure if that was just normal.

I enjoyed The Twilight Sad - had never heard of them before.

I'm considering buying a Placebo ticket for Monday now. I'm a huge fan but would prefer to see them in The Olympia or similar. I'm surprised they're playing such a big venue at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

brilliant sound, fantastically played and smith in fine form - were you at the right gig?

They'll play with the upper seating tapered off, similar to their last time here. I agree they're definitely more of an Olympia band who are taking a bit of an atmosphere dip here though in exchange for the extra sales.

You might want to get very familiar with the new album and not be counting on too many hits being played, I'll say that much! Keep an eye on their socials as well because tonight's gig in Newcastle they've cancelled.

It won't sell out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

He's so sweet 😍 Very emotional last night I thought. Some of the new music was very sad.. he has lost his parents and brother in the last couple of years.

Think that is the difference along with the length of this tour as compared with Malahide Castle in 2019 and other summer festival concerts.

They are an absolutely amazing band to be playing 2.5 hour sets to so many packed out venues back to back, and still have the ability to be joyful and engaging and relate to their audience.

Would have liked to hear Why can't I be you, and Plainsong , but sure you can't have everything.

Love them. Would go again if I had a ticket... but not today 😁

For Placebo - over half of the setlist is from the new album. Not ideal, but it is a very good album. But its too many tunes from an album that has been out for less than a year IMO.

If you wait until Monday late afternoon, you'll pick up a ticket for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Yeah, I saw them in The Olympia in 2000 and in SFX further back and would love to see them in a similar venue again. Have only seen them at festivals since then.

I like the new album so don't mind that too much. But I had a look at the set list there and there's basically nothing off Placebo and Without You I'm Nothing, so may leave it. Fine, they don't want to play Nancy Boy and Pure Morning, but such great album songs being ignored is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I enjoyed it despite not being in the humour beforehand. A marathon set in an arena was really turning me off the closer i got to the gig. For the first few songs i feared i'd made a big mistake but from the first new song onwards (which i thought was very good and the volume noticeably increased for) i was grand. Shake Dog Shake, Hanging Garden and Push particular highlights for me. I didn't recognise Charlotte Sometimes until he actually uttered the words in the song. I do kinda feel the gig would be better served by having all those big hits spread throughout the set though. In fairness, I can see both points of the argument. If there's one song i'd love to hear above all others it would be World War. Would also love The Snakepit and Like Cockatoos. As alluded to elsewhere the visuals, sound and Robert's voice were all very good. Chatting kept to a minimum where i was stood but one dude was going overboard with his camera. Unfortunately he was about 5 rows ahead of me, otherwise i'd have had words. Overall, a decent, solid, enjoyable gig.

However, that was my 7th time seeing them in 30 years and i'm not sure i'd go again. No reflection on the band or last night, i just feel i've probably seen them enough now and unless they played an all-dayer with a few good support acts again a la Malahide i just don't think i'd bother.

That was my third time in that venue in 11 years and i'd be happy never to return. I honestly don't know how folks go to loads of arena/stadium shows. Give me a few hundred people in a small room any day of the week/month/year.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I saw them in Whelans when the first album was released and i've never seen so many beautiful women in one small space. It was as if they'd filled the place out with models! Very good gig, Brian in top form. I was at that those SFX and Olympia shows too but then i lost interest after that and haven't seen them since.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement

I find as I get older my anxiety with arena shows just gets worse and worse. Especially in that venue. It can be so terse squeezed in there with everyone around you guarding their spot and sucking in the air for an eternity before the bands come on. Smaller shows are definitely where it's at. The luxury of being able to go to the loo, come back and still more or less be front of stage? Can't bate it.

I find outdoors fine as well even in large crowds. Especially at metal gigs where the pits everywhere okay a certain freedom of movement you wouldn't otherwise have.

Advertisement