Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Even in "normal" society like we have in the west, US, Australia etc. addiction of one sort or another can be found, no matter how fine the safety net of society is. Now consider the ruthless destruction of Russian Society by Putin, which forces people into a hopeless existence, and that addiction (no matter what form it takes} will be many times worse. If that was not bad enough, add in a war situation, and the situation becomes intolerable. And that's why people seek solace in drink, drugs and suicide in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

But all of them will require maintenance (you call them being broken).

You started your argument about 1/3 of western supplied artillery being broken and being an issue for the Pentagon. That's still going to be the case with F16's etc.... Infact I think combat ready airframes in NATO run at just under 50%, so worse than the 66% with the artillery (and again, maintenance, not broken stuff)

Your second point I pretty much agree with.

I've been calling for western AA since the start. No worry about them being driven across the border into Russia like NATO's worry with western tanks (despite western self propelled artillery that has been supplied being able to do the same)

Modern fighters, could have had Ukrainian pilots and ground crew training all this time. Ultimately Ukraine will end up with NATO supplied tanks and planes when the ear is over as they won't be using Russia for a supplier.

I think the Abrams maybe a little tricky logistically for Ukraine, but challenger and leopards would do. Hell the US have a stockpile of Bradley's they could supply Ukraine. Again, like self propelled artillery, it's not a tank, it's an infantry vehicle.

I've a feeling it's kinda the slow boiled frog approach, keep upping the equipment little by little to not provoke Russia. I think after all the war crimes committed, it's only Russia escalating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Russia doesn't have to come to the table, they just have to go back to their fking country. And just in case you need clarifications, their own fking country does not include the Ukrainian territories they invaded. Only after that they can come to the table to discuss how are they going to pay for reparations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

To let them know that it doesn't work and we haven't changer our minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This is doubly amusing because in the previous tweet, you had...

"Buy Russian goods," Putin said into the microphone of the German company Bosch."

No worries there, Vlad, we intend to.

Personally I'm keeping my powder dry for Vlads very own yacht Scheherazade to be put up for auction, before making a bid.

Post edited by cnocbui on

If you watched the BBC series" TraumaZone" (well worth watching, if you want to understand present day Russia) Communism collapsed, and so did capitalism, helped by the whole sale criminal thievery of the oligarchs. With the country bankrupt, Yeltsin called a meeting with the oligarchs, and explained the situation, asking them to at least reduce their thieving to allow the state to survive. They laughingly refused, leaving Yeltsin powerless. So, with elections coming up, Yeltsin introduced his protege Putin, and shoehorned him into the presidency. Once elected, Putin called a meeting, and again with the Oligarchs, and explained the new way business would be done. The oligarchs could continue their business as usual with one difference. A percentage of all their profits would have to handed over to Putin....or else. To show he meant business, he gave them an example of what would happen to them, he took down maybe one of the most powerful oligarchs of them all, Michael Khodorkovsky. and put him in prison for many years. So, no more argument with the new boss, let alone laughing at him as they had done with Yeltsin. After that, at least in the beginning, he channeled some money back into society, and things changed for the better for ordinary Russians. To this day, his followers say that he rescued Russia from the oligarchs. At this point, when had the oligarchs under his control, he could have taken a different path, and steered Russia into a world as rich and powerful as the best. But his greed got the better of him. And so we are as we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, it's evident in the way the country has stagnated or even gone backwards in the last two decades. Putin has done Sweet FA to improve the lot of the Russian population - but they are so brainwashed by state propaganda that rebelling against the regime is out of the question. There's more than a touch of Orwell's '1984' about it all. Most of Russia eking out a miserable existence, but state TV assuring the serfs every night that they live in the best country on the planet and are so lucky to have Putin as leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Welcome to the internet and wifi connections,

The Chinese hacked designs they did get everything and so far their and Russian efforts they aren't in the same league as American stealth aircraft, especially with the new b21 bomber going public in a few days followed by the replacement for the f22 at a later date

Yes - can we please do the same thing here. Oh sorry, I forgot Irish politicians don't have any balls, just oddly named bank accounts in the Cayman islands for accepting lifestyle donations from the Orcs, like two MEPs I probably can't mention.

• Advertisement

Putrid did manage to hang onto $100 billion for personal uses, hence him having three luxury yachts and Switzerland in his coat pocket, where all of his 3 most recent oorclings were born. Very accommodating the Swiss. Nothing quite conveys a sense of how great you think your kleptocratic empire is than giving your kids Swiss passports on their 0 birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Coming from the same career background, and indeed having worked in some of the same country's Mr. Buffet worked in and under the same or similar circumstances, I'd be 100% in agreement with him. Instead of the long-drawn-out agony ongoing presently. the West / US / UK need to up their game and supply the weapons needed to enable to Ukraine to finish off the Russians as quickly as possible. The sooner Russia departs Ukraine, and the war ends, the better.

Arming Ukraine was always the simplest, cheapest solution after the horse had bolted. No need for off-ramps when a solid kicking will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

I remember one where they went to some backwater village (but not that far from Moscow), asking people what they thought of the government. Someone answered along the lines of "they're great, we've got great infrastructure", and then the cameraman pointed the camera towards the dirt road which was full of potholes.

I remember watching an interview in a Russian village out in the boonies like above but when asked about the presidents of Russia the people interviewed couldn't identify putin to yelsin,and like that roads were non existent and water was supplied from a single hand pump in the center of the village ,that people went to once a day with buckets and containers for their supply.

By the way, it was this unit of the Special Operations Forces that had previously distinguished itself by the destruction of the enemy S-300 complex, which shelled the maternity hospital in Vilnyansk, Zaporizhia region, killing the baby.

@ukr_sof

Hopefully there were no survivors, well done!

Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak has said that somewhere between 10,000 and 13,000 Ukrainian soldiers have died so far in the war. He made the remarks on Ukrainian TV.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-has-lost-between-10000-13000-soldiers-war-official-2022-12-01

I think that a personal wealth of 100 billion would be a bit on the low side, and I'm no expert on Swiss citizenship, but I don't think that children of non-nationals have an automatic right to citizenship. Open to correction on that though. Even marrying a Swiss national is no guarantee of citizenship, and if you do get it, there is a long wait between applying and actually getting it.

• Advertisement

He will have to lose more. But it goes to show the corner he is backed into. Things must be really bad for him to even start talking about talks, even if as think, he has ulterior motives. His military badly needs to rest, regroup and prepare for Ukraine Part 2. Which makes it just another Russian scam. We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

I noticed they never show female casualties. Maybe this is why-

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

lol

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

You are right, they don't, but:

Alina Kabaeva and Russian President Vladimir Putin married years ago in secret in the Swiss Confederation and had four children together. Kabaeva has been resident in Switzerland for many years and her children have a Swiss passport. This was wanted by Putin, not now because of the conflict and invasion of Ukraine, but for many years.

Not only were all of Putins recent brood of kids by Kabaeva born in Switzeraland, the two were married there. This here claims Alina has Swiss citizenship:

Alina Kabaeva has been said to have been Vladimir Putin’s wife for 20 years. The secret First Lady of Russia has been mainly in Switzerland in recent years. She is even said to have Swiss citizenship. Where she resided there now revealed a sale advertisement.

Koschei the Immortal is the name of the greatest villain in Russian folklore and fairy tales. He’s guarding a big secret: his soul is stuck in a needle. This is hidden in an egg. The egg is in turn hidden in a duck. The duck in a rabbit. The rabbit is sitting in an iron box. The box is buried under an oak tree on an island far out to sea. Why the effort? If the needle breaks, Koschei dies.

If you told me Putin had Swiss Citizenship, I wouldn't be surprised. Many of the sanctioned Orcs have Swiss citizenship, FFS. That place a is a reeking cesspit when it comes to morals.

Easy amateur error to make, stairs instead of window.

;-)

• Advertisement

Maybe the loose bum is indicative of colon cancer, as has been suggested?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement