Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes digging up garden

Options
  • 30-11-2022 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I just planted some bare root hedging in my front garden a few weeks back. This week I have noticed holes in the area with some plants dug up yesterday. I replanted and there was another one or two today. I replanted them today again. The hole are deeper than a dog would normally go so I think it is a fox.

When planting I did put bonemeal in with the roots which the internet is telling me that this could be attracting them.

Has anyone successfully stopped foxes from doing this or got any tips for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

You could try human hair - from the hair dressers (they will give you the sweepings) - not what you are pulling out your self😁. We used it before to deter something in the garden but I just cant remember what! Other than that chilli and garlic (boil up in some water) are good for detering rabbits so may work for foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Really? Do human hairs work? I don't have foxes in the garden but stray cats make a mess all day there. Any suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

they did it two nights in a row.

I put some jars with vinegar in them around the plants as I read they dot like the smell

i also put a solar sensor light on the ground so it will come one when they walk by

no issues so far since I did both of those

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

probably not what you want to hear but lucky you :) and yes you are right chicken pellets or any animal fertilizer will attract both dogs and foxes, better to use plant based feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could I borrow one of your foxes to sort out my feckin' rabbits? 😀

We did have a fox but it seems to have moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,490 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

take a leak on the ground around the hedges, i have heard that the smell can deter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

they never dug them up again after I left the vinegar out. I saw them on my video doorbell walking up and then turning away after I put down the vinegar

Advertisement