Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

The whole Earthshot thing seeks to nobly (albeit optimistically) riff on Kennedys Moonshot from the early 60's of setting the seemingly impossible feat of putting a man on the moon by the end of the decade and imploring the world to apply the same dedication to climate change problems within this decade. Whatever someones opinion of William and the Royals then it is a cause to generally be supportive of. Even by a begrudging and virtue signalling Harry i.e. more important problems in the world than his personal problems. But what is his brother and sister in law at? PR marketing, victim playing and antics unleashed expressly to wrestle some attention away from the Earthshot gig and laudible agenda. Some carry on. I can’t wait to see what he’ll have put in the book if that sickly “the stakes are high!” trailer is in anyway a teaser for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The main thing this situation has show is what a horrible individual Nozi Fulani is, she's clearly milking this for all it's worth for her few minutes of fame.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Susan was out of order. The repeated questioning shows that she didn't really cop that a black person could be fully British. She was really asking the woman where her skin colour was from, and that's not on. She's the daughter of an Earl, coming from a long line of peerage. While it's an honorary role, the whole point of it is to assist the Queen and now the Queen Consort in welcoming all guests to the palace. It's not like she was hired last week, she's been by the Queen's side for decades meeting people from all over the world. She should have known better. Ms Fulani does have a foreign sounding name, and she did turn up in traditional clothing, but JFC, you'd stop the interrogation as soon as she said she was from Hackney. And you don't touch people!

I imagine there IS plenty of unconscious racism in the Palace. These people live in their own elite bubble. They come from a long line of ancestors who's wealth likely came from the colonies of the commonwealth, and at the expense of the people there, so they had to see these people as lesser in order to plunder their resources. With the recent surge in anti-immigrant sentiment in the last decade or so in the UK you can see that many British people still DO see themselves superior to everyone. Up the Empire and all that.

So both things can be true - that Baroness Susan is an out of touch royal hangar-on with horribly outdated views who should have been put out to pasture years ago and also that Ms Fulani went in aware that the event would likely have folk like that there and was ready to note all and any gaffes with racial connotations and shout it loud and clear. And calculated or not, if Susan handled the conversation differently, there would be no tweet. The RF themselves might not be racist, but inherent or unconscious racism may very well be still rampant in such a closed group of elites that they surround themselves with and if they want to defend themselves against accusations, then they need to weed out anyone with those views and roll out Diversity training asap.

One interesting snippet I heard was that Baroness Susan was assigned by the Queen to Meghan to show her how Royal protocol works. I could see how Meghan would get the impression that it was a racist institution if the longest standing member of the staff and long time companion to the queen was prone to this sort of talk.

I would not be surprised to see a diagnosis of mild dementia in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Why assume that the transcript is true? the person reporting it is clearly not exactly grounded in reality based on her past tweets about the royal family. This was an ambush from start to finish, and it’s fantastic to see so many people of colour calling her out on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yes, the victim of racism is a horrible person and is "milking it" by exposing racism and telling her story.

she only wants some fame and the poor old racist is having her reputation damaged god love her by having her racism exposed by the fame hungry milking horrible person.

victim blaming much, absolute state of that post, definitely won't age well this one.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

why assume it isn't just because of some past tweats probably taken out of context to push an agenda?

why assume in favour of an institution who is well known for having members with racist views?

some people of color "calling out" a person of color means nothing ultimately, there are a small few people of color who defend and make excuses for racist behaviour and some of those have been vocal in defending lady whatever over the past few days.

even if it was an ambush (unlikely in reality apart from in the minds of the fans) the reality is a former part of the institution fell perfectly into the trap.

but continue to victim blame the victim of racism because a foreign institution shows itself up again.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I haven't seen any social media about it but it seemed to have been confirmed corroborated by two other attendees? If I was a witness and what was written on Twitter wasn't what was said, I'd be making sure I didn't confirm it. Especially if it's going to be front page news around the world. If it is heavily embellished or untrue then Ms Fulani is toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

If her account is true, she must have a great memory. I'm terribly at remembering conversations, particularly if put on the spot.

This is just one twitter post. She's primarily of Caribbean origin rather than African.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

Totally agree with the above but there are also some interesting facts about the event.

Ngozi Fulani real name is Marlene Headly, she was born in England. She has tweeted anti RF remarks recently and claimed Meghan Markle was a victim of domestic abuse due to the racist RF, and that Meghan was denied a spot on the balcony because she was black. She seems to know Misan Harriman, a known friend of Meghans. She put online a transcript of the exchange which would suggest that she recorded it. She didnt paraphrase, she actually wrote what Lady Hussy said and what she said back and two of her friends who were there with her confirmed, if she got the text wrong she would be open to libel. So maybe she came with an agenda to catch Lady Hussey out. Considering that the same Lady Hussey was assigned to show Meghan the ropes, it could be the case that Meghan has found a way to eek out revenge on a salty old woman who did not bend to her will, and allegedly said it (H&M) would all end in tears, a dish served very cold indeed years later and also timely since Meghan is getting an award next week for standing up to racism in the RF. It all fits so very nicely for Meghan's narrative, conveniently. As an aside, her cultural background is Barbados where her parents were born, a country with a rich culture. Yet she overtly dresses in a very specific native african clothing and has taken a Nigerian name, and complains loudly when someone asks about her background. And isnt that what Rachel Dolezal did? And Hilaria Baldwin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A Trojan Horse, I knew it!

Lady Susan was a loyal discreet lady-in-waiting to her late majesty for 60 years, she was treated abysmally.

The King should intervene at once.

no, she was racist and knowingly so and did the right thing by resigning from her roll, she was treated fairly by being given the chance to appologise and resign, something others wouldn't be given.

she's no loss to the RF who need to be modernising and showing they can be relevant seeing as britain is going to be stuck with them.

that means no tolerence for racism or discrimination, remove the exemption from the equalities act and abide by it, and make sure all staff know what is expected of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She's 83, she didn't mean anything offensive by it.

You know, like in the Hutch trial today, the Guards were allowed to submit recordings made outside the State, though while illegal, they meant well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

If Marlene Headley is a victim, I’m a banana. The whole thing is so laughable.

i'm afraid that excuse does not work with me, especially when she was working within a public institution for decades.

she knew exactly what she was doing, she did not see the lady as british because she's black.

yes, she is a victim of racism.

nothing laughable about racism, at least not for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I have to say, given her age, and the very detailed description of what took place AND the fact that this woman, for decades has been around royal protocol- I did think dementia myself to be honest- now whether this will be a damage limitation "strategy" or wether there's a fair degree of truth in it, or a combined mix of the two, we'll never know- but I wouldn't be surprised if some form of undiagnosed dementia was the cause of this particular incident.

Can't post links yet but my god, the daily mail are ripping through H&M with their stories - it's as delicious as it is vicious- we're going to be in for a cracking January when the book comes out.

Whether or not by unfortunate coincidence or design, the clashing couples - Wales and Sussex - vying for column inches in their respective endeavours, is just pure car-crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I'm sure it will age well, I couldn't give a toss about the royal family member , but clearly Nozi Fulani is milking this situation, and I don't like dishonest opportunists and chancers like her.Remember she's a woman who runs a charitable foundation who refused to help someone because they weren't black enough.

• Advertisement

no, she is simply telling her story of being a victim of racism by a former staffer of an institution which has issues with racism while attending an event at a property of that institution, which is not milking anything.

whatever she is or isn't is irrelevant to that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,074 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Interesting

The whole incident with the oul racist made me think of this (woman voiced by Steve Coogan 😂😂)

How is being asked where you came from racist, particularly when the lady was wearing traditional African dress? Yes, I agree Lady SH might have eased up on the questioning if the account is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Someone is telling a story alright. Did they get served Ribena too 🤑

Apparently..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

So where are you from as in "what organisation" seems simple enough explanation. Is there a link or something official ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Stunning. Absolutely knocked it out of the park with this one!

With the Queen out of the way, you can start to see just how all of this will play out- there's no constraint now; none at all. Charlie may as well be a civil servant - he's just not rated like the Queen was.

I pity Wills and Kate if I'm honest- they'd make a decent King and Queen if that's what you're into and I think the British public would like them and with a level of youth on their side, they'd have the time to really dust down the firm and drag it into the 21st century.

But whatever respect remained for monarchy whilst the Queen was alive has pretty much dissipated over night with all of this soap-opera; it must be remembered of course that all of her children were one soap-opera story line after the other in the 80's and 90's- they weren't respected back then so why should they be so now? Ed and Anne just about get some levels of respect from the public but Charles and Camila and Wills and Kate have one big thorn in their side now with H&M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

The rental dress was estimated to be between £74 and £191. The emerald choker, which Harry wanted to repurpose as an engagement ring for Meghan, belonged to Diana. It is worth an estimated £15 million i.e. about the same as a mansion in Montecito.

Advertisement