Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled Direct Debit has now been reactivated

• 01-12-2022 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I called my gym to cancel my membership and the response was to cancel the direct debit.

That was done over a month ago via my bank so thought nothing of it until last night.

I received an email stating that my direct debit had been set up again with all of my details , bank account / sepa details.

On the signature part it states "digital signature" and yesterdays date

I am a little bit annoyed at this dark arts attempt to resign me up.

Im going to call the gym and find out however my question is can they set up a direct debit without my consent / signature

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Jeez i'd be reporting that to the guards. That is fraud! Very bad form!

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

No need to call the Guards, your bank can deal with this, for example: https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/sepa/direct-debit-change-requests/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Under SEPA you can reverse DD up to 4 weeks without question and 8 weeks with explanation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭skinny90

Yes im aware how Sepa protects customers and reverting payments however im really asking can companies create direct debits without customers consent/signature...i originally signed up maybe 2-3 years ago so im kind of pissed about how they processed this and why is my data being reused without consent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you asked them?

Most likely a minimum wage reception worker made a clerical error when processing your membership cancellation.

• Advertisement

I havnt asked yet, the reason I created the post was to see

a) is it legal ?

As I have mentioned my details were used 3-4 years ago

Why would my direct details be processed again when i havnt provided consent.

btw I dont see how likely resigning someone up a month after they have cancelled would be something a minimum wage reception worker would do in error. especially when I didnt consent to them doing so

There is an element of purpose about this.

b) has this happened to others

c) if this is normal I dont want to create an issue out of nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Did it go through on the same date as the previous transactions? It could be as simple as the gym not properly cancelling, and the DD processed as normal, and all those details are automatically included every time the DD is sent in.

It's probably worth giving them a call to ask if they cancelled the membership, or left it and the DD automatically triggered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

It's actually 8 weeks no explanation and 13 months with explanation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Cancelling the direct debit with the bank won't cancel your contract with the gym, you have to cancel the contract with the gym as you would still be liable to pay them until you do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They didn't re-sign anything.

All they did was call the existing DD again, using the details you provided years ago. Probably because someone didn't tick the right buttons when you said you wanted to end your membership.

• Advertisement

So a bit of an update, manager called me to say that it should have been cancelled but defended the reinstatement of the direct debit saying it’s common they will do this quoting their terms and conditions

and to be very clear @Mrs OBumble they did resign. They had no permission to reuse what is very sensitive information without consent

Post edited by skinny90 on

Advertisement