Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ursula Von Der Leyen - addressing the Oireachtas yesterday. Opinions on her speech?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Ursula von Frankenstein. It’s all by design Der Leten too many in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It doesn't matter though because it works. Irish collective insecurity is our greatest enemy, as Paddy loves a bit of praise, and he'll do anything to get it. Even if you're a great supporter of the union, I don't see how you can be so naive about how the EU views Ireland. Like all politicians they don't care about you, and aren't working for you, so it's beyond childlike to think that they love and appreciate Ireland, when we're nothing but a political tool to EU. I suppose all that gets in the way of the federal utopian views that many have, so we must pretend otherwise, and convince ourselves that politicians aren't politicians, and that they are deeply compassionate and caring people with nothing but love inside them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@eskimohunt It's about EU power, at the centre, that she herself and a bunch of unelected bureaucrats occupy.

You mean like your beloved House of Lords?

You've posted a lot of twaddle on Boards but today's attempt at playing Farage is up there!

The House of Lords in the UK, and the Senate in this country, should be disbanded / reformed for the very same anti-democratic reasons that apply to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

6 years on from the Brexit vote and some people just refuse to learn anything from it. There is no new argument in this thread, everything that has been said has been proven to be bollocks and yet here we are again, over and over and over. People who asked to be lied to and then get furious when politicians lie. It's bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Great speech from what I saw of it. The EU and the Commission are firmly in Ireland's corner which is going to be essential to protect trade, investment, prosperity and the NI protocol that the Brits are so desperate to undermine.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Just seen the "loyal to your history and traditions" bit. What in the world is she on about? Irish traditions are all dying a fast death, unless of course she means stuff like Irish dancing, GAA, and hating the English? As they are the only traditions left.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Yes yes because copying the UK in exiting the eu would seem like such sensible decision making.

Some accounts on boards should have to have parody beside their username like on twitter now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Which traditions are dying and how would EirGo have prevented this?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

What's the point? I could write few thousand words essay arguing my point, and you'd just say "no" or "lies" or call me a "conspiracy theorist" or something. Whatever about the past, you've no care for good faith debates, and rely almost solely on insults. Every thread you post in is proof of that.

It was a genuine question. If you don't want to answer it, no worries.

This trope pops up now and again and there's never any detail on how the EU has actually destroyed Irish traditions.

Pro EU and this country has benefitted from membership, but i continue to have my doubts about joining the eurozone. I think the inability to set ones own interest rates as economic circumstances dictate constitutes a certain dilution of sovereignty and i would urge the Czechs, Poles etc to think very carefully before joining it for that reason alone.

I think that's fair.

The counterargument is that the sovereignty you might otherwise have may not even exist. The Brits have their own currency and look at how quickly they had to backtrack once the markets disapproved.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Uncharted2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I watched her full speech. Hard to disagree with any of it : she pointed out when Ireland joined in 1973, GDP per capita was half the EEC average and now it is double the EU average. In other words the country has gone from being one of the poorest in Europe to one of the richest in only 50 years. No amount of shouting from flag waving patriots can get away from that key point.

She stressed too that it was Irish innovation, skill and creativity that led to this huge turnaround : not just the simple fact of 'Ireland being in the EU'.

True, but some would say that money isn't everything. You can be rich yet poor in other ways. The whole we're a rich nation stuff has a hollowness to it too, when many of us will never own homes, many of us are struggling to even rent homes, something all our ancestors were able to do when we were in the dirt.

Yeah, thats true. The markets would treat us just as harshly if we were incompetent with our economic management. The FF 1977 budget and the run up to the 2008 crash springs to mind.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I would totally agree (money isn't everything) but you could argue that much of the social change was probably influenced by EEC / EU membership - rights for women and minorities and so on. Not all of it of course, but membership must surely have made the country more outward looking.

Things like homelessness and the housing crisis are probably happening in spite of EU membership and are caused by internal factors.

Well said, don't forget Guinness also apparently.

• Advertisement

Things like homelessness and the housing crisis are probably happening in spite of EU membership and are caused by internal factors.

EU immigration policies are without doubt a large reason for the housing shortage. Not building enough too of course.

The government didn't build enough houses and apartments for the last 10-20 years, that's all it boils down to. It should have been obvious to anyone that with such a young population and net inward immigration there would be a need for huge house building initiatives, especially social housing.

If it wasn’t for the free for all immigration policies our population would be stable and the need for housing would solely be for replacement of older houses.

No, it wouldn't. We'd have rampant emigration and poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

There wasn't rampant poverty and emigration in the 90's and early 00's.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

From a simple chart got from Wiki -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland it would suggest that the EU has had a major contribution in the ability of Ireland to hold and attract more people to our shores.

Best boys in the class are in debt up to their eyes. The EU own us. The Government is set to next year start paying back the €40 billion-plus EU part of its international bailout, four years earlier than had been expected when it was granted an extension on repayments at the height of the euro zone debt crisis.

Ireland is the European Union's lap dog and has to do what ever they tell us. 40 Billion in debt!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Same EU that went nuclear and did not Call Dublin ? Defiantly had Ireland back on the Article.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Really IIRC there were phone in the EU ringing off the hook from out lads that got wind of it they were not told.

Advertisement