Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

organic farming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Yeah but lots of hiiden costs in the Organic, meal way higher, more straw and no fertiliser less grass and poorer quality grass so cattle do poor thrive and less money. Less choice of cattle etc. You could be 3 or 4 k better off on paper on 100 acre farm but soon find it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭massey 265

No reason why organic farmers cannot get a good payment from acres if they pick linear options which have minimum deductions from organic payment due to double funding clause.

Very few linear options planting hedges, coppicing hedges etc. That all costs money and in farm like my own I cannot plant any more hedges have kms of it as it is any my hedge cutting bill in the 1000s as it is.

Stone wall maintence and fencing river need you to have them on your farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

You'd want to be alot better off than 3 or 4k on 100 acres anyway. It doesn't make economic sense to buy meal at all in organics so it's not a hidden cost really. I know plenty of organic farmers running continentals so I don't know where your coming from with limited choice of cattle. For someone thats in organics you don't seem like much of a fan of it 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭manjou

I am doing riparian zone 1500 per ha over 250 per ha and that's on worst land in place fence a few drains run a few Dexters and lift full acres and only down 500 on organics .

• Advertisement

Any watercourse ,drain that holds water can be put in for riparian strip with minimum deduction from organic payment and doesent seem to have a maximum mtr length.The grass margin is also an option but with 2500 mtr max.These options are especially suited to poorer ground

You would not be much €10125 per year at 250 per ha once converted on 100 acres. Lump sum of €1800 on top so about 12k then take off €800 a year cert costs leave you about 11k v 7.2 k in acres. Run all continental myself but most those lads bred them themselves like I do. Go look for springing organic continintal heifers or cows not many about. Marts to buy cattle are Drumshanbo once a month and odd special sale. You have to buy meal I cannot see how keeps cows and produce weanlings without it; I go through 6 to 8 tonnes a year. Alot of lads saying not feeding meal are. You are right I am not! I was farming fairly organically anyway, never was into spraying, and I get max 19k so madnees for me not to be in it but no market for organic

No has to be marked as a watercourse by the EPA I have plenty of streams that are not marked and not qualify and drains with 3 feet of water in them that are fenced as it happens and the same story.

You want to get that checked out as when i was in glas if watercourses didnt show up blue on map then no payment but criteria for acres is different and all streams drains that hold water are eligible.

Good to know thanks I will chase up as ag advisor thought same as GLAS .

• Advertisement

Jsut checked online most my farm PIP rank 4 so ineligible and small bit PIP 3 so no worth for that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

6 to 8 tonnes is a shocking amount of organic meal to be buying in. Your 10k would be gone fairly fast with that. Perhaps your overstocked but of course that's your own business, I'd never tell anyone what to do. I'm on about 100 acres and have been understocked for years, the only meal I feed is at weaning. I'd have no interest in chasing bit profits on weanlings to be honest. My biggest costs are making bales and buying in straw. Other than that, I wouldn't spend too much in inputs.

How much is a round bale of organic hay to buy, roughly?

say

No stocked just about the minimum for organic. Running around 50 cows plus followers etc. Feed cows, calves weanlings etc prob running on the light side on meal. You have to give some meal to cows in IMO or they will suffer , less milk for calf slow get back into calf etc.

35 to 40 same as ordinary hay pretty much but hard sourced as lots of organic hay but not certified!

Might be of interest on this thread, just one way of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Is it just a fancy way of saying we outwinter cattle and keep some grass for them to do so.

There's a bit more to it than that tbh, but it could be boiled down to that as a high level description

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Done the Holistic planned grazing course before too, its a game changer in terms of profitability once you get it up and running and are committed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

• Advertisement

Grass growth, weight gain, improvements in general management and decision making etc. Also stock are healthier as you'd have little to no vet bills.

Interesting…

Over how long a time period John?

Ah I guess 2 or 3 growing seasons doing it would see decent benefits. Would recommend doing the course in it, especially as NOTS offer the course and it's fairly well subsidised here in Ireland.

I'm going to go a different way with grazing. I've done the HM course. Grazing a % of the top of the grass never quite sat right with me. Growing similar tall grass, then eating it right down, keeping a portion of the farm back for Winter, and providing a much longer rest period makes more sense in my head anyway. There's a lot of plus' to the rest of HM.

I did the course with NOTS, was a good bit ago now, think it might have been the first time NOTS did the course… Did the grazing for 2 seasons - all I saw was an explosion of weeds and skutch (couch?) grass came into fields… Didn’t see any improvement in animal health or thrive. Felt I didn’t grow as much grass to be honest, but I don’t measure so hard to so definitively….

Would be more inclined to agree with Herds approach above. But - both myself and herd are/were sheep only, so maybe that’s the reason we didn’t see it working…

Fair play for doing the grazing with sheep. Can't have been easy creating paddocks for sheep and moving them on so frequently.

Would have said that not grazing down to the butt was one of the key take-homes for me. The reduction in solar energy needed for regrowth, building root structure were points that made good sense at the time.

My assessment of the benefits is also mainly visual, cattle not needing any treatments, the improvement in the financial return from the suckler enterprise, etc. All fairly positive for me.

Grazing right down would be severe grazing, but not over-grazing, 80-90% utilisation. Utilising more of the grown forage gives much longer recovery times for paddocks so the solar energy requirement is replaced by time. The roots build structure just the same, and don't "slough off" as is argued by many. Life cycles of parasites are disrupted.

Having tried HPG, sheep are too much work for it on my land at least - though I'm led to believe they can work the system.

Ah, I had em used to electric fence before I did the HM, but was a pain having very small paddocks.

We wouldn’t have been big user of chemicals fertiliser, not hard grazers beforehand anyways, so maybe there just wasn’t enough difference to be seen in the holistic craic…

Ah, I think I should invest in a few moos… think all sheep isn’t the best long term…

Yea not sure, some fairly complex stuff going on in the soil for me to devise my own interpretation of it, I generally just followed what the course says.

• Advertisement

Do you use any fertiliser John?

Played with making my own concoctions, not sure about them. Bought some organic stuff - didn’t think it was great, but in soil tests my ph was way higher than I expected (vs last soil test, and I hadn’t put out any lime) So it must have done something…

Advertisement