Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You have sick pay, workplace safety regulations, paid time off, quality standards etc, etc, etc because of loons like these.

If you have women in your life, they can thank similar loons for the right to vote, own property, work and so on.

History will look favorably on the loons, and judge those who dismissed them harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Citation as per right in the uk has been in power most of the time. I think you will find history very different. Women could always work and own property did you read this off a red pamphlet. I think your thinking of inheritance. So you agree it's fine to lie-down in the streets and cause damage.

You cannot possibly compare women fighting for their right to vote with upper middle class twats throwing orange paint on works of art.

The left has mutated from what it once was, unrecognisable from its original incarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bizarre drivel that something cant be considered far right unless its armed and violent.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thats the Yellow Vesters. Im embarassed for you that you consider Yellow Vest Ireland left wing.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Far-right refers to fascist formations, which do indeed tend to justify violence in pursuit of their political goals.

These days, the term "far right" is being diluted. I have even saw some posters refer to the pro-life position as "far right". I personally don't subscribe to the pro-life position, but to characterise that as "far right" is quite simply false.

That's not the only example either.

So when you use the term "far right", it is often not in alignment with what it actually means, and has traditionally meant.

Thats not the point. The poster suggested something cant be classed as far right unless its violent and armed. Thats just bunkum.

Terry Pratchet

Even if a legitimate "far right" person or group has not engaged in violence, their ideology is premised upon violence.

You cannot parse the two apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

It's just closet far righters on boards trying to downplay the far right as something normal. Standard stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Come on. Most of society lived by "far right" values for hundreds and thousands of years. We don't even have to look that far back, as most people in the 90s would of been considered "far right" to the likes of yourself. The point being, that the new wave of leftism is the abnormality, and certainly hasn't been normal throughout the history of man. You deserve your credit though, as you've managed to flip normalcy on its head in less than 20 years.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

r

I absolutely can compare the desire to have a say in how the world you live in with a desire to protect the world you live on.

The question is, how can you not? Have you been watching GB News?

While you are here, I posted this in depth response to a former poster, but they closed their account. Do you want to comment on it?

What that person said is happening is literally happening right on this thread, we had a series of posts a couple days back when someone finally admitted that Trumps and his supporters from the far right are recognizable from each other.

Now people are trying to redefine what is harmful behaviour and to limit that to being the far right so that they can try to pretend it's just extremists who are problematic.

Like we're going to forget that Trump met with what is accurate to now describe as an antisemite/Hitler fan and a white supremacist and that the Judiciary GOP twitter account kept this tweet up for nearly 2 months before deleting in the past couple days.

There were no shortage of Trump/right wing fans around here for the last few years. Deleting accounts and trying to change the narrative won't change that.

Post edited by Tell me how on

that the new wave of leftism is the abnormality

Please describe what that is and give examples of how widespread and influential it is in reality. And if you could in particular, identify the dangers that have come from this given that is the focus of the thread.

What has been normal throughout the history of the human race has been to trend towards fairness and inclusivity, absolutely this has not been linear, as there has clearly been cases of discrimination and various acts up to and including genocide but the trend has categorically been in the direction the modern day 'Left' continues to espouse.

Stopping gladiator fights, human sacrifices, slavery, class discrimination, gender discrimination, sexual discrimination, employee exploitation, voting discrimination etc etc etc have all been advocated for people acting from a left leaning perspective for the most part.

This idea that 'normalcy has been flipped on its head in less than 20 years' during which time we've seen a extended war on terror advocated for by Right wing neo-cons in the US, the financial crash precipitated by a reduced regulation and capitalist greed, Brexit and its impact brought about by right wing ideologues, the Russian invasion of Ukraine by a right wing dictator, the targeting of medical/scientific experts by right wing mouthpieces during the worst pandemic of our lifetimes, the continued destruction of the environment and the impact on the climate by right wing ideals and the widening of the rich vs poor gap as a consequence of capitalist greet etc is the type of thing we'd see in a Daily Mail Headline or a Fox News chyron. It has zero support from real world events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Please describe what that is and give examples of how widespread and influential it is in reality. And if you could in particular, identify the dangers that have come from this given that is the focus of the thread.

I don't know why tedium is something certain people have a taste for. The definition has been given on this thread over and over. I'm pretty sure I defined it myself last week on this thread.

• Mass immigration, often in the form of endless and limitless immigration.
    • Raid feminism, which seeks to blame men for almost everything, yet any criticism of any female will often be considered hatred against the whole gender
    • "Anti racism", which allows racism against white people, and has a general unhealthy obsession with race and racializing literally anything and everything
    • Secularism/atheism, where Christianity is the only religion that can be attacked. Attack any others and you'll be labeled negatively
    • Stateism, the worship of the state and support for the continual growth of the state. Where the state all but replaces the family unit and we become reliant on it for everything
    • Transgenderism, not the existence of it, but the belief that we should deluded ourselves and believe that a man can be a woman
    • Climate change fanaticism, thinking that the world is going to end and that it's all our fault, and we should live like animals to appease the earth, which is all based of theoretical modelling, modelling that could just as easily be wrong as right.
    • "Sexual liberation", the worst end of it, where there's no cut off point and everything is permissible no matter how deviant or illegal it may be.
    • Authoritarianism, the belief that anyone who opposes anything from the new wave is a danger to society and should be banned, censored, and brought to court if possible for the crime of non compliance

I'm sure I could add a few more but I'm not arsed

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

He's right - the new wave of leftism is the abnormality.

Leftism has changed drastically over the last 30 years.

The left now throw hardline support behind government , establishment politicians , authority , conformity , censorship.

When riots from both sides happen , the left care far more about government buildings than the regular citizen who lost small businesses -many of those small businesses were owned by minorities.

Its never been a leftist position to saddle up to the elites over the working class.

The "left" today are actually old school prudish conservatives who brought back the Salem Witch Trails in the form of cancel culture.

Telling people what to think and how to act is Conservative, allowing people the freedom to make up their own minds and act and think the way they want is Liberal.

When we see the left threatening legislation that is intended to restrict or silence another perspective , red flags ought to be going off.

Hate speech is nothing less than a backdoor means to eliminating free speech because the opinions expressed may differ to their own.

Suppression of free speech for any reason always leads to tyranny. Your side is hiding behind hate speech because they lack the ability to adequately express their views. They need to learn to cope with the world around them. Contrary to what they say, they are today's fascists.

What are you even talking about? This is just a collection of subheadings that have seemingly been written by someone who didn't turn on a TV, radio or web browser in probably a few years.

Leftism has changed drastically over the last 30 years.

Already demonstrably pointed out, it hasn't.

The left now throw hardline support behind government , establishment politicians , authority , conformity , censorship.

Incredible horsesh*t in a world that has examples of establishment politicians like Johnson, Putin, etc, where the left were demonised for wanting police reform apparently that means they are in support of authority, when they support the trans movement they now apparently are the ones behind conformity and as Conservatives ban school books and classes throughout the US and 'noisy' protests in the UK and any sort of protest in Iran, the left are actually the ones behind censorship?

When riots from both sides happen , the left care far more about government buildings than the regular citizen who lost small businesses -many of those small businesses were owned by minorities.

Lol. This is brilliant. The government buildings was the capitol on the day of counting votes to democratically complete the constitutional defined election process. Way to try to hide that.

Its never been a leftist position to saddle up to the elites over the working class.

Nor is it now. Conservatives in the US fell for a man with a gold plated apartment and several failed businesses, they are currently in the thrall of the worlds wealthiest man as he is letting Nazi's back on the biggest social media platform in the world and trying to target Democrats with his platform. In the UK, the right wing media and individuals are categorically on the side of big business across all current pay disputes. Like, are you really arguing that the right represents the working class? In the US, Trump/Republican financial initiatives have been almost exclusively to the benefit of corporation's. FFS, Conservatives have voted against sick pay for rail workers this past week.

The "left" today are actually old school prudish conservatives who brought back the Salem Witch Trails in the form of cancel culture.

For me, the old school prudes are the ones banning abortion and getting annoyed about people in drag, no?

Telling people what to think and how to act is Conservative, allowing people the freedom to make up their own minds and act and think the way they want is Liberal.

As you've written it, this sentence is actually true. Must have been a mistake.

When we see the left threatening legislation that is intended to restrict or silence another perspective , red flags ought to be going off.

You're more concerned about supposed Left legislation that you say will be intended to restrict or silence, than actual legislation that has done that?

Hate speech is nothing less than a backdoor means to eliminating free speech because the opinions expressed may differ to their own.

Hate speech has been shown to lead to hatred, violence, discrimination and other acts up to and including Genocide, should our societies not act to try to prevent such things happening?

Suppression of free speech for any reason always leads to tyranny. Your side is hiding behind hate speech because they lack the ability to adequately express their views. They need to learn to cope with the world around them.

Again, see UK Tory government policing bill and comments by Sunak, posted here, to see where this is coming from in the real world rather than some random prediction of what it is the Left would do, or want to do. Iran action against protesters, Putin action against protesters, Trumps gassed protestors for a photo op and begged Governors to use force on protesters.

Contrary to what they say, they are today's fascists.

On a day that the former Republican President announced that the constitution should be ignored and him installed as President, and after he incited an insurrection this is just mindboggingly nonsensical. Like, I know you 'thought' as you typed sentences, but the ability to type this stuff while ignoring what is literally happening right now in front of all us takes some sort of effort. Incredible. Not the first time we've seen it, previously in history there was the known tactic of 'saying a lie repeatedly and eventually, enough people will believe it', we saw it with Comical Ali before despite the evidence on the screens in front of us and we saw it on this thread this past week where people tried to insist Brexit was not driven by right wing ideologues.

Post edited by Tell me how on

I read your post earlier in the day but couldn't respond then, but it immediately made me think of the signature someone uses on here that says something like, 'To the privileged, equality feels like oppression'.

Mass immigration. Same amount of people born in Ireland, leave it to live elsewhere as people born elsewhere who then come to Ireland. And the level this is at still doesn't constitute mass immigration and not within an assess roar of being limitless.

Rabid Feminism. This is one of the ones that that signature most applies to. How has this actually impacted you, in a real way.

anti-racism. This is another one.

Secularism/atheism. I think this has largely been driven by how the religious institutions took advantage of their communities and sought to control them for as long as possible.

Stateism. You are talking about right wing nationalists here, you know that don't you?

Transgenderism. So f*cking what? What difference does it make how some identifies, how much has it impacted you?

Climate Change fanaticism. Climate change fact. So much of what we do in life is built on the foundation of having educated people study specific content to gain knowledge and then to prove to their peers that they have correctly obtained and can use that knowledge in a specific manner so that their work/output can be accepted as factual and trustworthy. It is on that basis that the need for constructive action to protect the environment is requied.

"Sexual Liberation" You can argue about this changing in society, (I would argue there's still limits, illegal acts and so on but there is no way you can suggest that this has been driven by just left wing ideals? You might want to think about that 'there's no cut off and everything is permissible' statement because it patently isn't true.

Authoritarianism. Again, Conservative book banning, restricting various historical topics being covered, banning protests looking to control the media etc, etc etc is the direction you should be looking in because that is where this is most evident.

Those last two posts were pretty incredible to read. I hope people will come back with evidence to support their view that these issues are driven by Left wing ideologues rather than the examples I have given of right wing practices to those effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

They won't. It clarified to me who Trump actually grabbed. What a bunch of victimhood - the one, true tell for the far-right. "I'm the victim here" might as well be the motto on their Gadsden flags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This is the type of weak mindedness you have to deal with around here from some people. As if any of those responses in the last two shitposts counter anything to "extended war on terror advocated for by Right wing neo-cons in the US, the financial crash precipitated by a reduced regulation and capitalist greed, Brexit and its impact brought about by right wing ideologues, the Russian invasion of Ukraine by a right wing dictator, the targeting of medical/scientific experts by right wing mouthpieces during the worst pandemic of our lifetimes, the continued destruction of the environment and the impact on the climate by right wing ideals and the widening of the rich vs poor gap as a consequence of capitalist greet etc"

The idea that crying over some rad fems pissing and moaning about men is on the same level as the banking disaster of 2008 or the ever widening gap between rich and poor beggars belief.

Fucking Jesus... SMH

• Registered Users Posts: 82,943 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

On a day that the former Republican President announced that the constitution should be ignored and him installed as President, and after he incited an insurrection this is just mindboggingly nonsensical. 

Crossposting context:

I struggle to think how someone would argue this is not Fascism:

A Massive [voter] Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution.

When there are no rules, regulations, articles, laws, not only is there 'no fraud' but there is only war or 'might' left. If Anakin Skywalker said this you'd think ooh yep, total Darth vibes.

The same day, the same fu*king day, that Trump cones out with this, Musk is pushing right wing conspiracy theories on Twitter and armed Proud Boys are stopping a Drag show being held in Ohio, they, with supposedly a straight face, claim the Left are the fascists.

I've seen a lot of nonsense on here over thr last few years, that's gone straight to the top of the list.

I'd give them credit for it being an exercise in Gaslighting if I thought for a second they had the capacity to formulate such a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it already is, the police had perfectly sufficient powers to deal with it long ago.

it's small fry stuff that is being over exaggerated as part of the con artist servative/national front lights culture war crap.

it's also to insure that when the effects of brexshit fully hit that the protesting can be stopped hard and remove descent.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

armed Proud Boys are stopping a Drag show being held in Ohio, they, with supposedly a straight face, claim the Left are the fascists.

hard to keep up. Another group of obviously antisemitic right-wingers picketed a family-friendly show in Florida, home of GOP 2024 POTUS nominee frontrunner DeSantis:

Was another one this weekend in North Carolina. 40,000 Duke energy customers lost power because one or more substations was “shot up” to try and disrupt a drag show from happening. Police have some suspects they’re looking at already.

I'm not sure what point you're making?

Everyone, on both reasonable sides, condemns Neo-Nazism.

That's got nothing to do with the validity of the position of whether we can rightly criticise certain kinds of drag events.

The two are mutually exclusive, yet you wish to use one as a means to silence debate on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

It would have been fun to watch the cops taser the nazis but unfortunately they did not seem to be breaking the law in the USA. Cops tend to sit in cars if nothing criminal going on so no idea why it was even brought up. Do they Want the police to take things into their own hands ? They should start tasering them if they put 1 foot on private property for trespass.

• Advertisement

Where did I reference neo nazis in my post, what are you on about. Laughable.

Advertisement