Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Wasn't a great game now for the neutral, very slow and ponderous and defensive.

As expected I suppose but didn't make for much of a spectacle.

Hope Ratoath go on now and push on in Leinster and at least give it a rattle. Nice turnaround time helps as at least the celebrations will be out of the system.

Nobody stood out although I felt Eamon deserved man of the match, 3 big points and at crucial times.

Colm O'Rourke wouldn't be overly inspired after watching the performances on show.

On a side note, i felt quite a disappointing crowd there. I remember county finals from when I was a child (maybe as a young lad my memory is off), but i seem to remember the county grounds being jammed. Plenty of room in the stand and terrace was hardly at 1/4 capacity i would say. Was the €20 price too steep, a lack of interest, not ideal weather or some other factors at play I wonder? The stand half emptied after the minor game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Is Meath club football not very defensive? I’ve found some of the games I’ve been at hard to watch.

For comparison - in Cavan, the final was €25 in and they only had a crowd of 3,000. Pre Covid, the 2018 final got over 9,000.

Cavan has a very good quality streaming service though. I’m surprised similar hasn’t started in Meath. There are 4 games or more streamed most weekends in Cavan. A weekend pass is €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

The county PRO, tweeting off his own account, said a few weeks ago the demand isn't there to make it viable. I assume there is a cost to it so there needs to be a minimum amount of streams. We Are Meath have been saying the last few weeks there has been a couple of thousand tuning into some of their audio live streams so I would love to know what the minimum level is for the video stream

Cavan has a population 100k less than Meath yet Cavstream are able to pay people like Martin McHugh to do commentary so I can’t see how it wouldn’t be viable in Meath.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

They've had streaming previously, even prior to Covid, so they obviously have the numbers crunched and that it's just not viable financially.

Dunderry knocked out of the Leinster Junior club hurling championship by St. Feichins of Louth. Doesn't bode well for them next season. Think the SHC numbers should be cut. There just seems to be far too big a gap between the top few teams and the bottom teams.

Anyone get to any of the regional games?

• Advertisement

I haven't, I'll be honest even the enthusiasm for getting out reffing a game of an evening this time of year is waning for me let alone standing in Dunganny watching one. We Are Meath are doing commentary on Mixlr app if you want to get it live without the soaking

Any truth in rumours that the regional competition isn’t going well in regard to involvement? I’d heard management were asked to prioritise players between 20 and 26 as these would be ideal for intercounty trials but apparently it’s a lot of the older, former intercounty players, like Mickey Burke or Mickey Newman, that have been involved.

I wouldn’t imagine it’s a great time of the year to be running a midweek comp for lads that are away at college.

If you're called to ref a game, do you have much choice in the matter or do you just give the county board days/evenings that you're available to referee and they work off that?

Didn't hear anything about prioritising younger players. Honestly, I don't think that would be entertained. Newman was (I think) one of the top scorers in intermediate this season despite Kilmainham going down. He's still a quality player and he shouldn't be excluded due to his age. Also, the whole point was that this competition would give lower level players the chance to play with and test their skills against better players that they may not get in Junior A or B (or intermediate to an extent). If you exclude players at their peak (or players like those mentioned above), then they won't get that chance.

NFL fixtures are out. Four away games. Very tough final couple of games:

Round 1: Cork (A)

Round 2: Clare (H)

Round 3: Derry (A)

Round 4: Louth (H)

Round 5: Limerick (A)

Round 6: Dublin (H)

Round 7: Kildare (A)

Its sent to you on a text that you reply Y or N to. So yeah you've a choice, it could be said some games get filled quicker than others :D

Anyone I heard talking about it seem to be delighted with how its going, players seem to have bought in. I think some of the problem with lads coming in is some regions aren't using under 20 players because that champo is on, Dunshaughlin have no starters in because they seem to be aiming for a big shot at Leinster then some lads were nursing injuries through the champo as well as lads on holiday etc. I can see the value in having some ex county lads around to help bring younger lads on too. Like everything I'm sure it will evolve over time but it seems to have been a good start.

• Advertisement

Two excellent second halves by Dunshaughlin and Castletown in their Leinster championship games today. Both games were 6 points apiece at half time but they won by 15 and 18 points respectively. Dunshaughlin play Cooley Kickhams of Louth in the Intermediate semi final while Castletown play Clonmore of Carlow in the Junior semi final.

Ratoath make it a hattrick of wins for Meath clubs in Leinster over the weekend with a hard fought win against a massively experienced Rhode team. RhodeFirst time a Meath team has beaten them. Next up is The Downs (managed by ex Kells manager Lar Wall) in Croke Park.

Hopefully the wide spaces of Croker will suit us and we can be the first Meath team since 2004 to make it to the Leinster Club Senior Football Championship final since 2004.

Incredible result for Trim in the Leinster Intermediate championship, beating Kilkenny champions Danesfort in Nowlan Park. Oulart the Ballagh were also beaten which opens Leinster up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

was an amzing win for Trim!! and a super tight game too....

I see we have our new sponsors, the Morans. A new jersey for Christmas so!

Bective Stud really seem to be going all out supporting the Meath teams recently. Fair play to them.

First Regional Football Championship Final will be between Tara (BHG, Dunsany, Kilbride & Dunshaughlin) and Boyne Valley (Bective, Rathkenny, Slane & Walterstown) on Sunday at 2:30pm in Ashbourne. Tara beat An Tuaiscairt 2-3 to 0-8 while Boyne Valley needed extra time to beat Lough Crew 1-16 to 1-13.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭This is it

Come on Ratoath!

Brilliant end to the half by us to cancel out the goal and go in level. Given the conditions, it's been an excellent game. We've struggled with the Downs' quick counter attacking and we've shot ourselves in the foot at times in defence, particularly for the goal. But it's still in the melting pot.

Yep, lightening quick on the counter. We seemed to be struggling pushing the ball wide and not able to make our way back in but did fantastic to get back level.

The Downs generally taking their chances, Ratoath a bit wasteful

Dreadful second half so far. Downs look like they can scythe through us at will.

• Advertisement

Disappointing result. Probably handed The Downs 1-3 through our own suicidal passes in defence and only lost by a point. Felt McMahon should have taken the last free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭rolling boh

To be fair tricky enough free under the circumstances if the match was level he would have had a free hit .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Just glancing at the Cumann na mBunscoil results and there seems to be a lot of big wins in the finals. From 10 games the margins were 1,4,7,7,7, 9,10,10,19 and 29 points.

I know there's a few factors; big wins happen at all levels, they're only young kids who might not perform on the day, it's not a very focused or competitive grade etc. But is there something particular about the format or grading of the CnaB that leads to teams getting to finals and still getting hammered? Not a complaint, but I am curious.

Dunshaughlin and Castletown both made their respective Leinster finals. They're both due to face Wexford opposition away so you'd think it should be a double header.

See Trim are now favourites to win Leinster and third favourites for the All Ireland. Would be a nice shot in the arm for Meath hurling if they were to manage an All Ireland win and get our senior champions competing in the Leinster senior championship. After Naas' win last year, it's only the Meath and Wicklow senior champions that compete at Leinster Intermediate Level (Louth and Longford senior champions compete at junior level).

Ladies only ended up with 6 All Stars at the weekend: Monica McGuirk, Shauna Ennis, Emma Troy, Aoibhín Cleary, Emma Duggan and Stacey Grimes. Think Vikki Wall, Niamh O'Sullivan, Orlagh Lally among others were very hard done by in that list.

The ladies All Stars passed me by until I seen plenty of giving out about it. The maddest one for me is Niamh O'Sullivan being nominated for player of the year and not getting an All Star. That beggars belief. Also seems to be a lot of talk about Vikki and Orlagh not getting them because they went to the AFLW. The biggest pity is all this talk is probably taking away from the 6 who won them.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Will the new jersey be out before Christmas?

It would make sense...so therefore it probably won't happen!

Read somewhere that it wasn't out til after Christmas. Can't remember where I saw that though.

Trim through to the Leinster IHC final after a huge 1-21 to 1-8 win against Tullamore. Massive chance for the first Leinster hurling win since Kilmessan in 2008. They'll play Wicklow senior champions Bray Emmets in two weeks.

Anyone at the All Stars game today? I was out with the kids so I couldn't listen to the We Are Meath stream. No result up on the website yet and nothing on any social media about it. Given it was to showcase the best of the Regional Championship its a madness that it was so low key

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I don't get the impression it was ever supposed to be a big deal anyway, it's effectively a trial game for O'Rourke to look over the players.

• Advertisement

Castletown are Leinster Junior champions, getting over Adamstown of Wexford by 12 points to 6.

Dunshaughlin however lost their final by a point to St. Mogues Fethard. Possibly a case of going into the game thinking they had it won as they were were unbackable favourites beforehand.

Advertisement