Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

What have we added? Not being bitchy or anything, I just don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,259 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Limerick castlemungret cement factory branch.

Silvermines branch.

Ballinacourty branch.

Ardnacrusha branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Do Luas tracks not count? They sure seem like new railway lines to me.

Genuinely interested here, do you not consider the construction of the LUAS to be new railway lines? If not why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Interesting. The rail lines are all branch lines though to serve freight(?), and not fundamentally new routes.

I'm 50/50 about including the Luas. Sorta thinking heavy rail for suburban commuting or intercity, instead of a tram, and in any case a good chunk of the green line was on the old Harcourt Street line, so not a new build anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,259 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes, but:

"we still haven't laid a single metre of NEW railway line since what, the foundation of the state?"

Move goalposts much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

New facebook page for the Southern Star Bar: The Southern Star Cork | Cork | Facebook

Still seems very under construction. Won't be able to tell what type of bar it'll be until they get the paint and lighting done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

So is the Prism dead or what? I keep hearing about ground works going on or development restarting but nothing seems to be happening there. Must be stalled going on 2 years, now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

They’ve been doing ground works since November 21. They’ve been on a massive go slow for the last 9 months. Very credible rumours nothing will be built above ground. Local media have reported absolutely nothing on it stopping though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I just hope that they restore the footpaths on the Clontarf St and Lower Oliver Plunket Street sides of the site before the workers disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

True people are walking in traffic at the moment had a woman walking alongside the car recently very dangerous in moving traffic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There should be no traffic allowed if it's dangerous for pedestrians. To hell with the traffic jams.

The footpath that BAM robbed years ago is still missing on George's quay, and people are walking in the cycle lane. Not good enough :(

Its a busy route maybe bollards or something are needed.

EDITED: I'm not too familiar with Clontarf St, but that's shocking.

I thought you meant George's Quay. What was meant to be a temporary measure years ago is now permanent. Terrible management by CCC. I lived on Drinan Street for 10 years until a month ago. Awful how that big block of land has just been sitting there for so long.

It takes so long for everyone getting on the bus to pay with those slow leap card machines.

Making the bus free would really improve the efficiency and take a lot of cars off the road. The entire payment apparatus costs money to run too.

I think Dunkirk made busses free? I'll have to research it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well even if they didn't make it free , it's not hard to improve the speed of entry ,

Why not make it the same as the luas - pre-buy your ticket. And bip it at the bus stop , driver doesn't have to worry about fares at all .. and then you can have and use back doors on the buses ..

And if you have proper stops the bus can pull fully up to the kerb without smacking pedestrians,allowing people on and off quicker.. shortening dwell time ,

this could be done route by route..

Linked with better bus lanes improved routes, less junctions that the bus struggles to turn , possibly even bus priority traffic lights ..

Not super cheap ,but a lot easier and cheaper than bus connects 🤔😁

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I noticed UCC have a planning notice up on the old Brook Haughton site walking past there last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41026388.html

Planning application lodged for new multi-million euro business school in Cork City centre

Plans for the €106m business school have been in the pipeline for a number of years, with the State committing €25m towards the costs in 2019.

The former Brooks Haughton on the site between Copley Street and the South Terrace, Cork. Picture Dan Linehan

AMY NOLAN

A planning application for the development of a new multi-million euro Cork University Business School has been lodged with Cork City Council.

University College Cork (UCC) has submitted its planning application for the development between Copley Street and South Terrace at the old Brooks Haughton site.

The application, currently at pre-validation stage, is seeking permission for the demolition of the former Brooks Haughton buildings, structures, and boundary walls and the construction of the new Cork University Business School (CUBS) building which would range in height from three to six storeys.

According to the development description, the new building would include lecture theatres, academic offices, study and teaching areas, a restaurant and coffee dock, service rooms and bike storage.

The development, if permitted, would also see the renovation of 18 and 19 South Terrace to provide for a café and study space.

The application also seeks permission to create a new pedestrian laneway from Copley Street to South Terrace, with gated access, which would be open to the public during CUBS operational hours in addition to landscaping works, including the provision of a courtyard garden accessed via South Terrace, rooftop terrace and rooftop garden.

The proposals also include temporary landscaping of a future expansion area to the east of the site, to provide a temporary pocket park.

Works to the public realm would include the widening of a footpath on Copley Street, a pedestrian crossing at the western end of the street and the realignment of the existing car parking spaces on Copley Street to include provision for a mobility access space and loading bay.

Plans for the €106m business school have been in the pipeline for a number of years, with the State committing €25m towards the costs in 2019.

Cork University Business School was established in December 2014, when four individual business-related departments and 10 business-related research centres within UCC were brought together and recognised collectively as CUBS.

Currently, CUBS does not have a dedicated building to facilitate all of its departments and research centres.

Its staff and students are dispersed at locations across UCC's campus and a number of its research centres are located in Cork City centre.

UCC has previously said the move to the centre of Cork City “will position CUBS at the heart of the business district, enhancing the social and economic fabric of the city and region”.

By bringing together the previously dispersed departments, programmes and activities, UCC said the CUBS building will provide “space to enable students and staff to take part in cross-departmental activities, which will impact on progression, success, and employability”.

It is expected that the new school, on a 1.46-acre site at Copley Street, South Terrace, Union Quay and Stable Lane, will accommodate in the region of 4,500 students and 225 staff.

A decision on the planning application is expected in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

People paying with cash are even slower and it's amazing how many people still use cash even though it's much more expensive than leap. Also a ticket machine to tag on at every single bus stop is a non runner. Would cost a fortune.

The easiest solution would be to eliminate cash fares and then have a single flat fare and you tag on with a machine by the door on the bus (just like on London buses). No need to interact with the driver, no messing with cash and no multiple fare structures.

I thought that Goulding Chemicals was a reason for planning restriction, at Marina Market?

If it's a danger should it not be moved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Even easier is Berlin where it’s trust based. Ticket is on a smartphone app. I’m told that ticket inspectors sometimes board the bus or train and check but in a week I spent there my ticket wasn’t checked once. Sure, a certain percentage of people will just never have a ticket but TFi would just have to factor that in as a “cost of doing business” just like retailers account for shoplifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Gouldings is trying to relocate to Marino Point (the old NET factory near Cobh) but there have been objections to the granting of planning permission at the new location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, good system, Similar in other countries, it works because the fine for no ticket is enormous.

The thing about here is that the buses often don’t show up and the times are not reliable.

Id be slow to prepay for a bus that may not appear.

Some of the hoarding was down on Sullivan quay site of tax office today, builders on site

Have dealt with a few residents associations down the years and they are infested with busy body nimbys with nothing better to be doing. Reasonable people are driven out.

I love the "out of character with the area" bit when the sprawling MTU campus is literally across the road from the proposed site. Literally.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Any approval will be objected to and get caught up in the current ABP labyrinth for a minimum of 12 months.

A student apartment development is clearly fully in keeping with the "character of the area" given there's a large university full of said students right across the road.

Objections like this are just full of cliches and should be considered spurious and chucked in the bin.

It's a shame that the Prism seems to be going into mothballs. Doesn't bode well for the Custom House/bonded warehouse development either. Transformative developments that are not going to happen anytime for the foreseeable.

Is this the result of WFH? No need for a fraction of office space if this continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its out of character with the area as it hasn't had any development in 30 years. I'm originally from that area and it has to have the oldest population demographic around.

Advertisement