Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yes this is one of those bad takes I was just referencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I have to disagree with that. Having Congress force through this deal, which is possible because of explicit Anti-Union legislation, IS siding with the Railways over the workers. The Unions were asking for 4 days of sick leave. 4. Meanwhile the railway companies are taking in significant profits.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taft%E2%80%93Hartley_Act

Post edited by AbusesToilets on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Who is the party of working class then? The working class have been running to the GOP in recent years and they are the ones who shot down the sick days.

The turkeys have voted for Christmas but as usual it is all the Dems and Biden's fault.

Allowing the whole economy to tank due to the GOP and taking all the blame was an idiotic option to even consider.

You'll find it was explicitly the Biden Administration who struck down the paid sick days portion of the Contract.

Pulled from a good thread on it here:

Can't be letting workers have a healthy work/ life balance eh?

That is all factual, but I still disagree that this invalidates their claim to be a party for the working class. Senators who voted against those paid days, I cannot imagine what for meanwhile, because I don't see how it benefited workers to do so in any capacity. The most imaginable excuse is 'you're not getting 7 paid days so the railworkers won't either' or some other haves/have nots argument that, those same Senators on any other day would say how ridiculous it was to suggest giving all US workers 7 paid sick days either.

• Advertisement

The Dems can claim that label by default, since the Republicans are even farther to right extremes of them, but they have long since abandoned the Unions in favor of corporations.

Flashback to the the shocked faces of tv presenters in 2016, wondering why the Rust belt voters turned away from Clinton and the Dems, when Trump offered his lies about caring for their issues after decades of being ignored.

Do you know for a fact Biden wouldn't have signed the bill with sick leave if it had made it through the senate? Biden administration are dealing with the situation they have as best they can - they can't magic up a situation where they have the votes to do whatever they liked.

The choice was to compromise, one that was agreed by the majority of unions, or make millions of people suffer due to a strike - crippling the economy right before Christmas.

They weren't being ignored, they just weren't lied to that there is a simple fix that Trump promised. Obama saved the motor industry which is based in that exact same rust belt.

These excuses for voting for Trump are tired, lazy, and proven over the years to be complete nonsense.

Imagine the endless screed we'd hear if train deliveries of fuel were halted over winter because 'Joe didn't avert a strike' etc.

The Biden administration sided with the Railways and removed any sick leave from the contact. It's all there in black and white in that link. The Railways who have made 100s of million of dollars of profit in recent years. This contract was driven by the Administration.

Funny how you dismiss the sentiments of those same voters. How very Democrat of you.

The Biden administration sided with the Railways and removed any sick leave from the contact.

The Biden Administration isn't inking anything, so much as Congress is. So what precisely are you referring to in case I've missed it

• Advertisement

Were you a rust belt voter in 2016??? I'm not dismissing their sentiments, I'm dismissing the excuses you're trying to pin on them for their vote which coincidentally align with the narrative you're trying to push here.

Whatever deal the Biden Administration put together had to get through congress - it is that simple. We saw a deal with sick leave didn't get through and that is the world we're living in. The deal that has gone through now was accepted by the majority of the unions involved, you're just choosing to look at a glass three quarters full as being empty - again coincidentally aligning with the narrative you're trying to push.

We don't live in a fantasy world where Biden can do whatever he likes, as can be seen by all 'the progressives' who claimed Biden would have no issue with a stroke of a pen cancelling student debt and we now see it blocked in court. Voters gave Biden the Congress he has to work with and he has done a great job so far in getting things done, even if it isnt as perfect as some would hope.

"Were you a rust belt voter in 2016??? I'm not dismissing their sentiments, I'm dismissing the excuses you're trying to pin on them for their vote which coincidentally align with the narrative you're trying to push here."

I was a rust belt voter in 2016. I primaried for Bernie. And he's practically an honorary railworker with some of these unions, and I don't hear Bernie calling the Democrats union busters or not the party of the working class. So let me just say I categorically agree with your sentiments.

As was laid out in the Twitter link above, the Unions and Railways had to go to a Presidential Emergency Board , which is handpicked for that specific situation. The Board hears arguments from both sides, then drafts an agreement that the Unions can't agree or disagree with, and are mandated to put to a vote of their members.

The Administration sided with the Railways to refuse any sick days. They quite literally inked the deal that Congress is forcing on railway workers.

As detailed here, the unions that rejected the deal represent almost half of the total Union railway workforce. In addition the vote tallies were split almost 50/50, so even for the Unions that voted in favor, massive numbers of workers rejected the terms.

You clearly didn't read the post I linked which detailed the process involved. The contract wasn't put together with Congress in mind at all. They are simply voting to force the Unions to take the deal to avoid a strike.

You're pretty naive to think that Congress wasn't in mind when it was put together. The hope was that it wouldnt have to go that far but they didnt want a palatable deal that would get through and it was accepted by the majority of unions. You can't argue that this isn't a good deal given the number of votes it received by those directly impacted, acknowledging that some involved thought they should get more. You're painting it as some diabolical betrayal when the only alternative to get a minimal additional concessions was a crippling strike that would impact millions (if not tens or hundreds of millions of people) right before Christmas.

Also, still waiting for you to confirm whether you're a rust belt voter or just another outside excuse maker who I either must accept as a mindreader of the opinion of Trump voters or else be deemed as dismissing the working class.

An industry that makes 100s of millions of dollars, denying any paid time off. The Biden administration agreed with them, as it would possibly allow workers to have a healthy work/ life balance. A contract that is now being forced upon workers, who have no right to strike under the law, by a Congress that has unlimited paid sick days.

That is a poor deal, that was rejected by ~half of the workforce. A poor deal authored by the Administration, in favor of the Railways.

As to your second part, no I'm not a rust belt denizen, but I can read.

The deal you're talking about never would have had the votes to pass in congress, and the deal you're talking about was never going to be agreed to voluntarily by the railway companies.

That industry makes $100Ms but is responsible by its very nature for Trillions.

Congrats on being able to read and regurgitate opinion pieces that fit your narrative. The media loved to try to find easy to digest excuses for the Trump vote, many times trying to pin the blame on democrats instead of facing the racism, sexism, and general hatred that played a significant part in many of the move to the GOP. We've seen over the last 6 years how wrong that analysis was, Trump and the GOP did comparatively nothing for the working class yet they stuck with them for identity politics.

The workers will have paid time off, it just didnt include paid sick days - rightly or wrongly like a huge proportion of the US. It would be the stupidest form of political suicide to cripple the economy and hurt tens of millions of people for something that many of them don't have either.

So you now also know so much better than half of the workforce? The hypocrisy of calling me dismissive of a group of people while minutes later implying these workers are dumb enough to vote for 'a poor deal'.

So again, to be clear, the reason that Congress is voting to force the contract is to prevent them from striking. That would have happened in any circumstances, regardless of what was in it. The contract was not written to appease Congress. It was written to appease the Railway owners. The Union was presented with a fait accompli, either they vote to accept it, or Congress would force them to. As clearly stated, it was written to deny them sick days, that would allow them a better work/life balance.

The Administration is absolutely siding with business over the workers, that's unequivocal. Biden is talking out of both sides of his mouth saying he'll continue to fight for paid sick leave, when his Administration deliberately chose to not include it in the contract it forced on the Unions.

So you've been shown to be full of crap about who was responsible for the contract, and now you're flailing around spewing nonsense.

Are you dismissing investigative journalism then, if you feel one cannot learn about a situation by reading of it? What inaccurate narrative is being pushed in those articles pray tell?

• Advertisement

You're the one claiming to know more about 'a poor deal' than half of the workers who voted for it.

Of course you can learn from reading but what you shared isn't 'investigative journalism', they were opinion pieces that are 6 years and 2 years out of date, respectively.

I was right about the contract. It is obvious the Biden admin designed it to get it through congress if it wasn't accepted by all the unions. You really think they just happened to be able to ask congress to pass the same deal without amendments - this a complete coincidence? They needed to get the situation sorted to avoid chaos before Christmas and clearly had a backup plan that worked.

You obviously see this as a good opportunity to take a kick at Biden but like most of his presidency he has done a good job in a difficult situation.

Are you calling a deal that denies workers paid sick leave a good deal? The much trumpeted pay increase amounts to keeping pace with inflation, so basically treading water relative to the economy at large. The cost of those sick days would be around 2-3% of the profits the Railway companies are taking in.

Your argument shows once again a failure to understand the mechanics of how this contract came to be. There would have been no threat of strikes if the Administration had included paid sick days in the first place, which was entirely within their remit. They didn't have to write something acceptable to Congress, both because Congress would always vote to force acceptance, regardless of the specifics of the contract, and also because they could have written a contract which gave the Unions what they were very reasonably asking for. There's no reading of this situation that doesn't show the Biden administration clearly chose to side with business over the workers. It's explicitly stated by the White House in the excerpt posted previously.

To recap in simple terms, there would be no threat of strike action if the administration had given the Unions sick days, AS WAS IN THEIR POWER TO DO SO.

No comment on the value of journalism to educate on a political situation either?

You want to talk about failure to understand mechanics while you blithely ignore the 2nd and 3rd degree implications of a national railway strike.

A national railway strike, to recap in simple terms, is not a good deal. Not for the business sure, but not for the workers or anyone else who relies upon that logistics. Almost 1/3rd of all freight in the US travels at least partly by rail. 2.53 trillion tonne-kilometers in 2018. Do you know how many workers would be affected by the strike? How many families?

Also the first line is misleading: the deal does include paid sick leave - 1 day of it.

Once again, the reason there's a threat of a strike is because the Administration refused to include those paid sick days in the contract that the Unions are forced to accept. You are arguing that the profits of the Railways are more important than the workers lives.

Great posts on the last couple of pages @AbusesToilets

The "proud pro-labor President" chose the captains of industry over the labor force.

What a sham.

No I'm arguing that the lives of all downstream workers in the US weigh at least as importantly.

When factories that rely on shipments don't get those shipments, those workers will be sent home without pay.

A third of the US economy. That could affect what, 40, 60 million workers, and their families?

And about 135,000 rail workers

My heart bleeds for them, too, but it also bleeds for everyone else.

If you want to make an anti-corporatist appeal I think it's flat: in this dynamic, rail workers, if they choose to strike, have a staggering and uneven amount of leverage, that workers in other industries, equally as deserving of working rights and conditions, simply does not have. When it came down to it, the vast majority of the US workers would ultimately not find a rail workers strike politically favorable. If anything, it would backslide support for organized labor in the US.

To summarize, you're supportive of workers rights... until it might impact your lifestyle. In which case too bad, so sad.

The Unions have no ability to strike for a better deal, so they have zero leverage. If they did, we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's a total win/win for Biden. He ensures there's no disruption the Railway companies profits, and he gets to use the failure of the sick leave bill to pass as a stick to beat the Republicans with. Masterfully done on his part.

To summarize, you're supportive of workers rights... until it might impact your lifestyle. In which case too bad, so sad.

No, I reject your summary.

Supporting the never ending, infinite push for progressive workers rights does not involve picking every fight and rolling every 6. This is a strike that had it occurred this winter, during the leg of a pandemic, during the ukraine war, during a global inflation and fuel crisis, would have set the movement for workers rights back decades.

Again, there's no strike. The workers are legally precluded from striking. The negotiations have dragged on for years, hence the PEB. The Administration could've avoided any of this by including the sick days, which would likely have garnered widespread support amongst the workers.

The timing and details of all of this was defined and driven by the Administration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great to see Biden looking after American workers...not

Advertisement