Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't really hold Boards up in high enough regards to have my confidence utterly destroyed by making a mistake in a post.

Now how about replying to my post rather than deflecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

So after six years, all the Brexiteers have got is to bang on about feckin batteries. Says it all about Brexit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If the UK want a motor industry, they need a battery industry because the battery is a major cost item, and without it the the % of UK value is difficult to avoid tariffs when exported to the EU.

Hence Britishvolt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stricter rules of origin on Batteries and EV's apply in 13 months time.

A year after that there's a review of trade aspects of UK-EU Trade and Cooperation agreement followed a year later by a comprehensive review of the agreement itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

at the same time would i be wrong that tesla is the highest valued car maker on the stock market because it has the best batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This may be true — let's assume it is. I don't see that's its all that relevant to the current discussion, though. UK is not developing battery production capacity because UK batteries are, or are expected to be, the best batteries. (Presumably, if what you say is correct, they aren't the best - Tesla batteries are better.) UK is developing battery production capacity because it has to, to have any prospect of being able to export EVs to the EU.

This is pretty much the opposite of UK being a world leader. Battery production is only viable in the UK with substantial government subsidy, which makes it vulnerable to political pressure. And UK EV manufacturers have no choice - they have to use UK batteries, regardless of how good or bad they are, because if they don't their product can't be exported to EU, and none of them have a business plan that relies on servicing just the home market.

This is pretty much the polar opposite of anything that the Conservative party would have regarded as a good idea at any time in the last 50 years - a state-subsidised industry, insulated from competitive pressures, with a semi-guaranteed market for its products, regardless of quality or price. This isn't exactly the buccaneering global Britain that Brexit was supposed to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Well, topically for the thread, the current side discussion about automotive/EVs and batteries, and now your mention of Tesla…

…now would be a good time to recall Tesla picked Berlin for its European battery manufacturing and assembly plant instead of the UK, due to uncertainty created by Brexit.

The plant was built 2019-2021 and opened last March 2022. An expansion is already in the works.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Quote: This is pretty much the polar opposite of anything that the Conservative party would have regarded as a good idea at any time in the last 50 years - a state-subsidised industry, insulated from competitive pressures, with a semi-guaranteed market for its products, regardless of quality or price. This isn't exactly the buccaneering global Britain that Brexit was supposed to deliver.

Well, let us think a bit. Oh yea, I remember, British Leyland - a motor company formed by the amalgamation of loss making Austin-Morris (a loss making car company that had over 50% of the UK market) with a smaller profit making company Leyland (which had Rover, Jaguar, etc.), which became a massive loss making company - British Leyland - that required huge Gov subsidies until it was sold to BAe for a tenner and became Rover.

It no longer exists - Rover is Over.

The British Gov have been there, done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭yagan

Haven't been away since the pandemic started so grabbed a Canary Island jaunt and it was jarring to see brexit for the first time in human terms as UK passport holders had to go through the very slow moving schengen scanning booths.

I won't be surprised if Spanish police use the threat of a schengen ban when dealing with troublesome louts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Didn't they always have to go through that gate ? Same for us.

Starmer has said that he doesn't believe that rejoining the Single Market would boost economic growth, and that there is no case for going back into the Single Market.

Frankly, this is a weird thing to say. It's pretty much undisputed that the construction of the Single Market did boost UK growth to a signficant degree, that exiting the Single Market signficantly constrained UK growth, and that rejoining would remove Brexit barriers to trade and so boost growth again. Even Brexiters largely accept this; they don't oppose the Single Market on the basis that staying out is economically advantageous but rather on the basis that, despite being economically disadvantageous, it is justified by considerations of autonomy, democracy, sovereignty, etc. To be honest, it's not really credible that Starmer doesn't accept that the economic consequences of remaining out of the Single Market are what they are.

So why say this?

I think there are two possibilities here. One, he was caught off-guard by the question. On the issue of re-entering the Single Market, the real reason for Not Going There is that he things the party that is seen to reopen the toxic Brexit debate will be electorally disadvantaged. But he can hardly say that out loud, so he had to come up with some other reason and, on the spur of the moment, this was the one he came up with.

But that's not very credible. How likely is it that he and his advisers hadn't anticipated this question and prepared a reply? Not very likely at all, I think. So this was probably a pre-prepared reply, and we need to find another reason for preparing this reply.

Why prepare a reply that no person of ordinary intelligence will take seriously? Perhaps to signal to those who favour closer alignment or re-entry is not a serious or strongly-felt position. In truth, he sees no good reasons for staying out of the SM because, if he did, he'd have mentioned them in this interview. So, although he has adopted this position, he has no solid reason for adopting it and you can think that maybe he's not wedded to it, if that's what you want to think. And of course the beauty of it is that Brexiters cannot attack him for this, without saying that staying out of the SM is economically harmful, which obviously is something they largely know to be true but cannot say out loud.

Cynical? Maybe. But I'm not sure whether it's me or Starmer being cynical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Could be both.

It's odd that he feels the need to kow-tow to the established Brexit narrative. Papers are in decline and fewer people than ever trust journalists in this country:

Some 46% of people polled in the UK said that they avoided reading the news sometimes or often, almost twice the level recorded in 2017.

That put the UK’s ‘news avoidance’ rates far above the average 38% level recorded across the 46 countries analysed, and second only to Brazil where the figure was 54%.

The report actually found that more millennials aged 25-34 regularly avoided reading the news (42%) than 18-24-year-old Gen Z members (40%).

Ultimately though, it's the older demographics that vote most reliably. They may see Brexit as a bad idea but that doesn't mean they're willing to go through years of internecine political warfare and acrimony to undo it, especially with Farage & co waging blitzkrieg on social media.

People here have been conditioned to see the EU as the enemy and freedom of movement as a burden imposed on British people. That's not going away overnight. That said, while Starmer may be unwise to nail his colours to the Brexit means Brexit mast, it's odd to see him do this as well. Conservatives can shriek all they want about betraying Brexit but that charge has lost all power.

So, you may well be right that this is some cynical ploy to escape criticism but it's a feeble one IMO. All sorts of nonsense will get thrown round regardless of what he does. I see why he's doing it but the future is not Brexit, it's close collaboration with the EU, maybe membership.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

He should be pointing out that being part of the SM and respecting the Brexit vote are not mutually exclusive. The narrative that they are was first developed under May and seems to be seen as sacrosanct since, despite nobody putting any stock in anything else May said.

Starmer should be trying to change the narrative. I suspect many Brexiters would actually be happy with that as it would allow them to disown the chaos caused by Brexit without having to admit they were wrong. They have already taken the first step by saying "this is not the Brexit I voted for". Somebody needs to come forward with another form of Brexit soon or they will continue blindly down a path nobody wants to be on. Starmer should be taking the lead on this, not parroting Tory soundbites which are getting increasingly stale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Enraging but wholly unsurprising narrative by Starmer. Typical limp attempt to play all sides while the winds remain only inclining away from Brexit being a good idea. Watch his mood change if the antagonism truly kicks off. At best it's a Sunk Cost rationale at play: oh we couldn't indulge the chaos and fuss to put things back the way they were. The uncertainty of it all! (ignoring how it's the uncertainty right now that's killing imp/exp companies).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a bit of a gray area. People voted to end free movement. 33% of leave voters cited Immigration as their top reason and 49% sovereignty according to the Ashcroft polls. While you can argue that it's not a violation of voting leave since this wasn't defined until after the referendum, it's not a fudge that will impress many.

Brexiters will latch onto any attempt like this as a crutch on which to gaslight the population once again. There's no point in moving towards a sensible pro-growth parties if Tory quislings can just u-turn everything at the next election.

It is but I get why. He's permanently lost Scotland. That's a solid 50 or so seats he needs to get from elsewhere. He also needs the red wall back and, ideally a nice slice of the blue wall as well. These are demographics that want mutually exclusive things. He also seems like the type to forensically analyse the 2019 result and emerge with a fear of upsetting anyone.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Rome is burning and we’re now getting to stage where the flames are visible from outer space.

Yet, still Starmer recommends to let Brits continue to eat cake…

…so businesses with skin in the British game, domestic and not, will continue to vote with their (ex-) tax-paying feet between now and the next GE. And for a good while beyond, notwithstanding any pivoting by Labour, as the country’s socio-economic fabric continues to fray all along.

This will end well 😏🍿🔥

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The voters gave a clear mandate in 2019. That GE was effectively a ref on the Johnson deal, which included ending FoM, trade barriers and NIP.

While one can argue whether people knew what they voted for in 2016 due to the vagueness of the question, there really is little doubt about what was being put forward by Johnson in 2019 GE.

Which, of course, makes all the noise about the NIP and it not being the "brexit I voted for' a total nonsense. THis is exactly the Brexit that the UK wanted, and voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,659 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Starmer and the current version of the Labour Party are a strange conundrum. Reading the comments section of the Guardian for the last week or two and many readers (people who you would be expect to be natural Labour voters) say they are completely baffled by Starmer's policies. They think he sounds very right wing and speaks like a committed Europhobe, almost like a pre-2016 Tory : definitely not a left of centre liberal. If all of this is merely being done to appease the Red Wall xenophobes and racists, he's taking a gamble, as he may find it very difficult to backtrack on all things he ruled out in his election manifesto.

A great many seem to be of the opinion that he’s just making Brexity noises for <reasons> and will pivot if elected.

Anyone who has paid close attention to British politics in the past 7 years and not taken their eye too far off the ball too often, will hopefully attest to the fact that, where Brexit is concerned, no amount of idiocy by British politicians can ever be overestimated, irrespective of whether the said politicians are in power or in opposition.

And on that basis, I’m more minded to take Starmer at his word, as a face-eating-leopard-party kind-of-way, than to infer or lend any credence to hidden pivoting designs down the road. Until he and Labour can prove any different, and let me tell you that is one tall Himalayan summit of evidence they’d have to climb.

• Advertisement

You can't hold a referendum with one outcome to be defined after the referendum. That's not how anything works. Nobody knew what they were voting for in terms of what the outcome would be. As far as I can discern, it was "I want horrible things to happen to other people". The one constant was Brits being outraged when affected by the consequence of the seismic constitutional change they sanctioned.

I would see the Guardian's comments section as being akin to the Mail's in terms of utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,095 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Starmer can't have it both ways, he knows that well no doubt. I think people would be just as happy if he were completely honest and direct and let the cards fall where they will.

Irrespective, the EU will be monitoring the positions of all UK parties closely and won't be entertaining any double-talk.

It does seem that Sunak is keen to do a deal to deal substantively with the Protocol, but the EU shouldn't bend over backwards for him, they know he's in a very weak position.

Honestly, I feel if Britain were left to stew as they are for another five years or so, it would be better for them in the long term, to purge the ultra right wing spoof balls from the scene altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,659 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The problem with this one is if he 'does' turn out to a fairly right wing Labour leader and a Europhobe, British people once again will only have themselves to blame. He's literally saying out loud a load of right wing and Eurosceptic policies, but everyone is going "Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.....don't worry lads, he doesn't actually mean any of this".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

would it be so bad if they change their opinion on something that seems to be a vital future industry if it is connected with wind farms. so to me that almost sound like a small brexit benefit that they have to think a bit more future ...

i would say this is an area where europe as an whole was way to slow, and while not brexit related, i guess its kind of good that both the eu and uk focus more on it .

from what i read there is also a lot of battery state subsidisation in the eu now . and while i think tesla ,at the end , declined 1 billion state subsidy in brandenburg they got a free train station built and the plant seems to cause a lot of water issues in the area that will cost also quite a bit to find solutions in the future.

iam not sure how much it speaks for germany as a car industry nation that they got tesla and europe on the whole . its obviously great for brandenburg but iam not sure how good it is for volkswagen bmw renault etc to have a company in germany that is ahead of them and likely to eat market shares from them and directs profits into the usa out of the eu.

Post edited by peter kern on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Stammer said a few months back that a strategy of being negative about Brexit was not a good election strategy.

Thus is saying re-entering the CU would not necessarily be helpful to the British economy.

He can't say anything that would be seen as negative about Brexit, because that blue wall he needs to turn red is packed thick with Brexit supporters, white working class traditional Labour voters.

I think this is basically it. For all the Bregret that the polls are showing, the same polls show zero appetite for re-entry, for re-litigating the question, for revisiting the toxic, depressing debate.

If we assume that Starnmer's priority is winning the next election, this combination of sentiments suits him quite well. If people regret Brexit but feel that reversing it is either impractical or excessively painful, they are likely to blame the Tories for having lead the UK into a mistake which, they feel, cannot now be remedied. That works well for Labour. For Labour now to position itself as aiming to roll back Brexit to any significant degree will alienate the remaining Leavers, plus those Regretters who would prefer not to do anything about it. Why would he alienate them?

If he plans to do anything at all about Brexit beyond remedying the more lunatic aspects of Tory Brexit, I think it's a second-term objective. He'll wait for a public head of steam to build demanding that he do more to repair the damage the Tories have done, and then he'll seek a mandate for that in the 2029 election. And if that public head of steam never builds, well, he'll never do anything about it.

Isn't the problem that he isn't trying to, though? How many Europhiles will vote Tory in the next election? Young people? Anyone below 40 with a degree? Those aren't demographics he really needs to target because they'll either stay at home or vote out the Tories.

I think people need to experience Brexit on its own terms for at least half a decade. If not, any consensus that Brexit was a mistake won't be resilient enough to survive the next opportunistic conservative government that blames the EU for problems it causes and we're back to 2015 again.

In fairness, Labour lost the last election talking about overturning Brexit and the media will be just as hostile this time around. I've seen no indication that he's either a Europhobe or right wing. He was instrumental in getting the 2019 campaign to include a commitment to a second referendum and we know how that went.

In equal fairness, the UK hadn’t properly Brexited in 2019, and Covid has provided rather the anticlimactic filter to its burgeoning consequences…until now.

There’s 2 years or so until the next GE. That is a long time coming in politics.

Even if Starmer was genuinely double-speaking about Brexit to regain the Red-Blue wall onside in 2024, surely he knows equally well, that he’s busy already boxing himself up in that ERG-esque political corner 2 years before the vote, and he must know just as well how that’s worked out for successive No.10 tenants since 2016.

I look at Tory performative ‘governance’ of the past 6-7 years, I’m seeing that same performative effort now starting in anger from Labour, which is flip-flopping about Brexit worse than it ever has in years, and the only conclusion that seem valid, is that British politicians far and wide are only concerned about focus groups’ findings, and efforting solely and permanently about elections, having comprehensively forgotten what the actual point of winning elections is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Regarding the last part of your post, I don't think it is as simple to say Labour lost the last election talking about overturning Brexit. Much of the issue then was Corbyn and he was very wishy-washy on Brexit (he seemed quite happy with Brexit even if that didn't align with party policy). I think the mood has changed since then so building policies for a 2024 election on that is not sensible. Starmer could be a lot more vague on this subject and leave some room to manoeuvre instead of boxing himself in.

• Advertisement

It hadn't but the cracks were already showing. Witness the UK's dismal performance with regards to covid in comparison to the rest of the continent.

I don't think he is playing to the ERG types. For starters, he isn't threatening to unilaterally dismantle an object of international law. I'm hoping that he'll just ignore the DUP and the ERG or move towards closer alignment.

The focus group problem has been here since Blair or even earlier. It has, admittedly gotten worse but I think the real problem is that Brexit was supposed to glue the Tory party together. Once it got "done", there was nothing left beyond venality and performative cruelty.

I wish Starmer would go full on and go for full SM/CU or even a referendum but I'll settle for some degree of sane government.

Advertisement