Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Matt Rhule fired by the Panthers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Suprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet but Devante Adams has been charged with misdemeanor assault by police in Kansas for pushing the ESPN photographer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Scandalous from what I saw. The idiot cameraman decides to run across the tunnel as players are exiting the field. Adams just reacted to what came in his path. Fair enough he could have helped him up but the blame should be on the cameraman in my opinion as he caused the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Don't push people because they run in front of view. Happens all the time in everyday life and no one has to push anyone.

They are going through the motions because it is the US and the camera man needs to cover himself in case an injury is found later that could bankrupt him. He will get a small pay out. Adams will get a fine and probably a 1 game suspension which seems fair to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Nashville will hosting a super bowl at some point then.

Cardinals have traded for Robby Anderson

Brown looks like he's done for the season and Hopkins back next week. I don't know what happened to Robbie in Carolina but the QB standard has been awful there I suppose. Mightn't be much better in Arizona but this gives Murray a different look with two big, athletic receivers to throw to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I read today Josh Gordon was cut from the Titans practice squad

I had forgotten he was even in the league! Was such a talented player but seems a long time ago now

NFL films will make a great documentary about him one day

A very sad case. Between recreational drugs and Peds he was always in bother and he had so much talent. He could have been one of the best in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

CMC to the 49ers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Injury prone player to injury prone team. Seems likely where this will end. However for the games he is around he will be nuts with Shanahan. Especially if he manages to be around for some play off games and gives the 49ers some firepower for bigger games that avoids needing to rely on Jimmy in play off games which is normally when they fall apart.

I had the very same thoughts.

He's a great player but has had a lot of injuries in recent times.

When you look at the niners in recent times they had so many injuries to lead backs. It's how the likes of Hyde, Breida, Mostert, Mitchell and Wilson got opportunities.

It's hard to remember who the lead backs were that got injured but I remember McKinnon, Coleman I think, Mostert after his breakout year and then Mitchell this year after his breakout year.

I love watching Deebo but I'm just waiting for him to go down playing in that backfield.

McCaffrey is lightning in a bottle if he stays healthy the niners will be seriously strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Risky but great move for the 49ers that I'm delighted with. Another incredibly versatile piece to go along with Deebo, Kittle, Juice - McCaffrey is probably the most consistent duel threat RB since he's been drafted, all while playing for a poor team most of the time and far from great offensive coaches. Would not want to be a defense trying to work out what is going on with that group as they motion all over the place.

Back since they picked up McKinnon Kyle has clearly wanted a player like him and with how the running game has fallen off since the Lance injury this should provide a reset and also open up the RB screen game that should help Jimmy, that is basically been nonexistent with the RBs they have.

Injury concerns are obviously there but he was never injured prior to the previous two seasons and those havent really been connected and pretty random. He should have a good bit less of a workload with them too, rather than being the focal point that he was with the Panthers. Obviously fearful of the terrible injury curse the team has but that fear goes for basically every player in every moment of every game so I'm a bit numb to it.

On the cost, I saw on social media some claim they practically have given up their whole draft in 2023 with the trades for Lance and now this but that is ignoring the buckets of comp picks that are coming through. Post this trade the 9ers will likely still have 9 picks, including still two third rounders, and will get another third rounder on if Ryans gets a HC job, which seems pretty likely. The team already has a stacked roster with very few starters at risk to be losing in FA so I'd rather convert picks into a known superstar than go into the draft with 12 or 13 picks. This is far from a steal but presuming the 49ers make a decent run in the playoffs it'll likely end up valuing around a high 2nd which is fine. Salary wise, Panthers are also paying a huge chunk of it, with him practically being free this year and lower end of top RB money for the next 3 years, with nothing guaranteed.

All in all, I'm far, far happier to pay what they did than the alternative of going to bed last night finding out the Rams had traded for him in a similar deal. NFC is absolutely wide open, with no top tier teams yet, it is the exact time to be aggressive. I don't like spending much on RBs, in the draft or FA, but he is so much more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Jeez the Eagles got a steal

Only giving up a 4th is mad

Definite favourites in NFC

• Advertisement

He's 32 and has two expensive years to come on his contract in '23 and '24 and it's pretty much all guaranteed money.

I think a fourth is about right.

It's a great pick up for the Eagles though. Gotta be favourites to win the NFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

Next two years are non guaranteed, so no real risk. Bears are paying $7M this year. So Howie is schooling the NFL again.

If that's the case it's an awesome deal.fir the Eagles. I thought he restructured a year ago and money in at least one of '23 and '24 became guaranteed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

From CBS:

Per NFL Media, the Bears are paying $7.1 million of Quinn's remaining base salary this season. He has two years remaining on his five-year, $70 million deal, and Philly takes over non-guaranteed base salaries of $14M in 2023 and $13M in 2024.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The guarantees in his salary came in the form of a signing bonus, $20m, which for cap purposes is split over the life of the contract.

That was paid by the bears so they will have some dead money for 2023 and 2024 (4,237,500 per year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

As peteed said in the Bears thread, this deal frees Chicago's cap up for next year even further than before. They currently have 125-130 million in cap space for 2023. Next highest in the league is Atlanta at 58 million. Quinn should be somewhere that he can win now, Chicago need money to invest in younger guys, and the Eagles get a very nice deal for a 4th round pick. Win-win-win.

Brady announced his divorce is finalised. He won't be right for a couple of weeks yet I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mildly amused by Dan Orlovsky (in London to commentate on Broncos Jags game) struggling to watch last night's match as was booked into a hotel without Sky, and trying to figure out the vagaries of Prime & VPNs.

Dan Orlovsky on Twitter: "Anyone with a bigger brain than I know how I can watch #TNFonPrime while in London?" / Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I can't believe they let Roquan Smith go. He's only 25, he's a superstar. You might be in rebuild mode but you should be holding onto a great young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's bittersweet. He was unbelievable in previous seasons and the heart of that 2018 D under Fangio.

But he has been terribly inconsistent so far this year and the concerns raised in the off season that he might not be a good scheme fit seem to have been true as he has struggled despite the tackling numbers remaining high. Had an awful game yesterday again. You can't have a high paid superstar, a leader of your defense, putting in terrible performances every other week which is what it feels like we've got this season.

Based on his play through 8 games Poles was never paying him the market setting $20m+ per year he wanted back in August. It's not a position valued the same way it used to be. If those demands have not changed then I suppose trading him was the only option. I'm sure he'll get back to his best in that Ravens defense though and it's a huge pickup for them.

I don't think any of our original starting front 7 are signed beyond 2022 now. It's going to be a very different team next year.

Ravens only paying him $575k for the rest of the season. Bears paying him the other $5mil.

You call 83 tackles, 2.5 sacks and 2 ints inconsistent? I honestly thought he had an outside shot at DPOY this season. Imo he's been fantastic, his worst game of the season was Sunday and we now know why.

Edit: I'm in a dynasty league where you have defensive players as well as offensive players. Roquan is the highest scoring defensive player, that's all defensive players not just linebackers.

Wrong thread.

Post edited by eagle eye on

• Advertisement

You beautiful, beautiful, Browns.

Roquan hasn't even been made 1st team AP in his career yet, which is bullsh*t, but there's no way he was going from being disrespected every year by those guys to getting DPOY this year.

As for tackles, I'm not bothered if someone tackles a RB when they've already picked up 10 yards. It's not a good stat to base opinions on. If you watch the games and not the box score you can see how poor he has been in multiple games this season. Some weeks he looks like the best LB in football and then another week he is completely invisible like he was on Sunday. He has been awful in coverage for example.

He's the WILL in Eberflus' scheme. If you want to be paid at a non-premium position the way he did you have to play lights out every week and change games. You can't have up & down performances and expect a market setting $20m per year contract. We need 2-3 WRs, a RT, possibly a LT, a 3 tech and pass rushers. All of those are far more important than a weakside LB so he was never getting the contract he wanted in Chicago.

I've seen every Bears game this year and he's been fantastic every week except last Sunday. And it's understandable that he wasn't great on Sunday when you see what happened on Monday as I'm sure he was aware what was going on.

First, I refuse to believe anyone who is not a Bears fan has sat through all of our games considering how bad the first 4/5 were.

Second, it's obvious didn't watch the Packers, Giants or Vikings games if you think he was fantastic. Even the most loyal Roquan Smith fan would admit he has had multiple rough games this year.

This is why you shouldn't base arguments off of PFR statistics. For example, on paper it looks like he had an okay time in the Packer game with 11 total tackles, but that doesn't mention most of them were after a 5-10 yard run or how Rodgers once again picked on him in coverage with Cobb like he does every single time the Packers play us.

Bradley Chubb has been traded by the broncos to the Miami dolphins for a first and a fourth next year i think and the broncos get RB chase Edmonds in return.

Trade deadline day. always great fun to see where your fantasy players have gone to. So far....

• TJ Hockensen to Detroit Lions
    • Irv Smith Jr to IR
    • Chase Claypool to Chicago Bears
    • Jeff Wilson and Bradley Chubb to Miami Dolphins
    • Chase Edmonds to Denver Broncos

And now Calvin Ridley to the Jags

He's suspended till next year

Reich sacked but it should have been Ballard first or else both of them. Ballard has made a mess of the roster in a way that stinks of thinking he's smarter than everyone else. Given the soft ride he gets from many in the media I presume he is very open door to many of them.

The colts have hired former player Jeff Saturday as their interim HC. Is someone drunk in the Colts organisation ? This is going to end in a bigger mess than it already is at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Scary time for Josh Allen. If he has that injury he could be out for a long time. I have a colleague who got it six years ago and to this day he has very little power in his arm. I'm sure the medical professionals dealing with NFL players can do great things but I'm not sure it won't cost him all of next season as well as the remainder of this one.

Let's hope it's a false alarm.

• Eric Allen, cornerback
    • Jared Allen, defensive end
    • Willie Anderson, offensive tackle
    • Ronde Barber, cornerback
    • Anquan Boldin, wide receiver
    • Henry Ellard, wide receiver
    • Jahri Evans, offensive guard
    • London Fletcher, linebacker
    • Dwight Freeney, defensive end
    • James Harrison, linebacker
    • Rodney Harrison, safety
    • Devin Hester, kick returner/wide receiver
    • Torry Holt, wide receiver
    • Andre Johnson, wide receiver
    • Albert Lewis, cornerback
    • Robert Mathis, defensive end/linebacker
    • Darrelle Revis, cornerback
    • Steve Smith Sr., wide receiver
    • Fred Taylor, running back
    • Joe Thomas, offensive tackle
    • Zach Thomas, linebacker
    • Hines Ward, wide receiver
    • DeMarcus Ware, linebacker/defensive end
    • Ricky Watters, running back
    • Reggie Wayne, wide receiver
    • Vince Wilfork, defensive tackle
    • Patrick Willis, linebacker
    • Darren Woodson, safety

These are the 28 modern era semi finalists for the 2023 PFHOF and damn it to try and get names out of that will be a challenge, because there’s way more than five players there that you can say “That’s a sure fire HOFer.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What Steve Smith Sr did for an average franchise makes him a certainty for me.

Would go for Darrelle Revis as well, and personally loved Freeney and Wayne. Either Ware and Harrison making up my (completely unexpert) five. Can't see all three of Ware, Freeney and Harrison getting in at the same time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If Hester is overlooked again I give up entirely on the whole farcical process.

Havent' looked at the stats but snap guess from me... Two Harrisons, Joe Thomas, Revis, Freeney.

Mathis, Andre Johnson and Jared Allen close behind

• Advertisement

That's a ridic list for HoF.

Out of them, and I'm trying to think how they think, I'd reduce the list to

Jared Allen, Ronde Barber, Dwight Freeney, James Harrison, Rodney Harrison, Andre Johnson, Darelle Revis, Steve Smith, Joe Thomas, DeMarcus Ware, Reggie Wayne and Vince Wilfork.

My second pick off the list would be Patrick Willis but they are going to penalise him for quite some time due to him retiring so young.

Joe Thomas was considered, and was, the best left tackle in football for most of his career, he's automatic. James Harrison won defensive player of the year so he's automatic I'd imagine, Jared Allen was considered out on his own for a few years and he's been waiting to get it so I think he'll get in. Revis Island was what they called Darelle's side of the field because nobody would throw there so he'll get in I think.

The last spot if I had to guess it's between Steve Smith, Vince Wilfork and Dwight Freeney.

The rams have put Matthew Stafford on IR due to a neck injury, which means he’s out for four weeks minimum, so I doubt he’ll be back for week 18.

If that’s not admitting that the season is done for I don’t know what is.

With Stafford my question would be more whether he ever plays again. That injury is serious and his wife has been vocal about him taking too much abuse. They don't have much ammo to improve their team going into next season. Could see a number of Rams players and staff retire

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

I don't think Stafford is coming back. He's got his ring. McVay could also follow him by the sounds of it! They went all in, gave it all & got their rings. A huge long term rebuild ahead.

You think Stafford retires?

I think there's a chance, given it's a neck injury, but I don't think he does it just because he has the ring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement