Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What job would you hate the most? and why?

• 03-12-2022 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

For me its definitely a professional office job, I did one in the past, lasted just about a month and quit one day when I couldn't take it anymore. The whole suit and tie, formality and fakeness of it all, most of the people I worked with were toxic gossipers who would stab you in the back as soon as look at you. I think most people just hate jobs like that deep down and that is the reason they are such a$$holes while at work.

I nearly get sick now thinking of such a job.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Whatever that department that deals with social housing is called, you just wouldn't want to get up in the morning these days with the crap you have to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,268 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Don't judge by your bad experience. I did 35 years in an office job and lived it. It involved constant variety and was with a great bunch of people who became marvellous family friends. It depends on the work and the people.

I'd hate any marketing or sales type work. I think it always comes across as very fake and I'd be too honest for it. But our perceptions of other professions can often be way off mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Gardai. Tough job. Couldn't do it.

You do your job and picking the same lads up a day later. How demoralising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I will judge it. Even if I had great colleagues in a professional office job, I couldn't handle it, its just not a god match for me im afraid, I wouldn't do a job like that for any money. soul destroying in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Sales

I couldn’t sell water to a person dying in the Sahara.

There is a personality type for these sort of roles. You don’t need years of education. If you have the gift of the gab then you are more than half way there

I do well in other roles but sales would be hell for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Checkout operator in a supermarket, I'd probably last an hour before I'd wrap my chair around some bellends neck. I'm convinced they must be on some class of valium type drug as to not lose the head with what they would experience...

• Customers waiting to be told how much their shopping will be before having the wallet or purse out, would you not have a reasonable enough guess at what it will be €50/60/70, could you really be that blind not to be able to guess what roughly will be needed?
    • Customers asking if a pair of childs jeans would fit their 6 year old who is tall for their age...sorry I'm not Louis Copeland this is Tesco, the jeans are €5.
    • People in the Q for circa 5 minutes and in that time not checking see if their Revolut account had more than 5 cent in it.
    • Families of 7 loading the conveyor belt and on the other end the trolley but still slower than 1 person with the same load who has a clue.
    • Anyone who doesn't place a Next Customer marker at the end of their load of goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Most of them do feck all , it’s a well paid job relative to the level of education and ability required

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's mostly about the mindset which you engage with it, though, isn't it?

I've had jobs I was unhappy in, but it was more about where I was in my life; I've never hated my job, nor the people I worked with. Maybe I was just lucky...

I suppose some people just go with the flow but I don't believe that is the way to go. I could have stayed in that awful job but I would have become deeply depressed which isn't something normal for me. I quit and set up a business, I am happier, making far more money and doing something I enjoy. maybe I was lucky. 😉

In all fairness they just said what they wouldn't want to do.

A suit and tie I'd be nope, unless meeting seniors. Think they're pointless. It will make you do your job better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Chewing bread for gummy chickens.

• chef… id hate working in such a hot, stressful, sweaty and uncompromising environment… you don’t get to see any results of that work as you are away from the diners…
    • any job on a cruise ship… the staff quarters are erm… basic, officers have their own rooms which are basic but for the most part the rest have to share… basic doesn’t cover the shared rooms actually, have a look on google…. Some are little more then jail cells levels of comfort with doors that open.
    • barman… I’d see no craic in after having a long day being forced to be interested in rambling drunken anecdotes and debates about the match, this political person, where I’m going for holidays (for the second time this week) or how ex punter is struggling with x problem, y problem, or the their wife might be chewing the door off the wardrobe… ( he just painted it again ). My local barman claims to be a psychologist, a marriage councillor, a gambling adviser and a spiritual guru.. and of course a spirits guru. He claims to not be paid enough, I agree.
    • Garda… just having to be in contact with putrid scum and lots of tragedy..
    • Paramedic… as above but trying to help people who have issues.. heart attacks, strokes, assaults, brain haemorrhages, car crash injuries…. Then entitled junkies …plus all the misery and sadness…

I couldn't it. They do their job and judiciary let them down. Why bother?

Sometimes the judiciary doesn't let them down, there is a guy in an Irish prison who is there since the early 80s, some guard had to catch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Painter/decorator, I've done a lot of house painting in my time and have always found it very boring. I can't imagine doing it full time for the rest of my working life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

That must be why the courts and prisons are full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,268 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It was a bit more than that...

fakeness of it all, most of the people I worked with were toxic gossipers who would stab you in the back as soon as look at you. I think most people just hate jobs like that deep down and that is the reason they are such a$$holes 

True. Others have 10's of convictions. The guards did their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'd echo this. More than 3-4 days painting and I'd lose the will to live.

Even if they keep them off the streets for a few months or years, job done. The rest of us don't have to deal with them for the while they are in Mountjoy.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Dentist, undertaker, enbalmer. Disgusting. Wouldn't be long before I'd puke. You can throw most medical/child birth/dealing with small children jobs in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

The idea of ever having to leave self employment to work for anyone fills me with trepidation.

I've never been employed outside self employment so can't say definitely it ain't for me, I could love it. The idea of just collecting a hassle free paycheck without having to manage the headaches, heartaches and ballaches that come with business certainly make it appealing some days but I've never been even close to packing it in and looking for a job.

From what I can tell from those around me who all have jobs the tyranny of some workplaces and some employers is something I don't see myself ever wanting to dip my toe in.

Of course I know people who absolutely adore their job but I know vast amounts more that show up every day just to pay the bills and feed the kids - which in itself is admirable in my eyes. If the chance presented itself they'd be gone in a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Footing turf. Slow and hard on the back.

That’s probably because we don’t have enough prison places for the population though in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Donald trumps rent boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I couldn’t work in a slaughterhouse. I don’t know how those people live with themselves. But I still guiltily eat meat and wish I was a vegetarian…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

My favourite job was working behind a bar in New York. The tips helped of course but it was the mix of trusty regulars you could have the craic with combined with the array of random characters from all walks of life that kept it interesting. I knew that it wasn't a good career choice after your 20s so I left it, with great sadness.

I'd agree with the slaughterhouse one. I just couldn't do it. Yes I'm a hypocrite as I eat meat but I try to eat free range/known quality (Irish) most of the time.

I couldn't work in a call centre ever again after I got 'promoted' in one of many to supervisor, which consisted of listening to escalated calls from very irate people 40 hours a week. It gets to you.

Guard, doctor, nurse, chef, secondary school teacher... the stress and responsibility. An office job is luxury compared to many roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

A fireman or paramedic purely for what they have to witness on a daily basis. I know several people working at these and I have upmost the admiration for them. Of course they have good days but as one of them said to me before, you could be sitting down having a chat about the person you saved an hour ago and then 20 minutes later you’re cutting a dead person out of a car or scooping them up off the road. The mental trauma must be absolutely unbelievable.

For those mentioning office jobs. Although I’m in a job in relatively happy in, I’ve found the office environment has become very monotonous and repetitive. I work in a hybrid role so I can split my time between the office and at home spending time with my family but clock watching in an office is hell on earth and I find myself doing it more and more lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I don't know - a common perception of a salesperson is a sneaky person who can convince somebody to buy something they don't want or need - like the old joke where a guy goes in to buy nappies and leaves with a boat. However, in most sales jobs a salesperson finds out what somebody needs and finds a product/service to match. It's generally more about solutioning than tricking someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I agree with dentist/medical - think I could do the undertaker/embalmed jobs. There something about them already being dead that I wouldn't mind - go in, do the job, go home. I mean if you are a doctor and you can't save someone's life then that will stick with you, if you are an undertaker/embalmed you just going in and do a good job and go on home no worse off than you were when you came in

There is a video on YouTube that I watched about 18 months ago and it was the undertaker/embalmer.

and no. Not a hope. They didn’t show any specific up close shots gladly but the undertaker furnished us that they have to..

• remove all blood and inject a red chemical dye.
    • remove all their faeces otherwise they shît themselves in the coffin.
    • set features which includes putting rubber gripping moulds in their eyes so the eyes don’t spring open during visitation 😬😅
    • use I think a needle injector to force their mouth shut, otherwise the tongue can flop out, again during visitation.
    • and something else I forget what, to stop air escaping and them farting during them lying in state. If they start farting, shîtting and opening their eyes there would be a few more poor fûckers, in a state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

A podiatrist for elderly/diabetic patients. The thought of having to handle and treat decomposing feet and grotesque toenails would give me nightmares 🤮

A chef would be horrible also. I adore cooking but I'd hate to work in such a high pressure environment. I watched a really good movie on Netflix recently called Boiling Point starring the excellent Stephen Graham as a stressed head chef. I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested to know what many chefs/kitchen staff have to go through.

A teacher, a Gard, anything to do with security or a Community Service supervisor would also be a nightmare. I believe you need a certain type of tough personality for those jobs. I certainly don't have that personality. After one day of having to deal with sneering bullies and entitled nasty scrotes I would be wanting to top myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I worked in one back in the early 90s when there wasn't much work and I'm not someone who was going to sit at home on the dole.

Its hard work though and the pay isn't great, its mostly Brazilians working in them now.

• Advertisement

Call / "contact" centre Tech support for non computer savvy with in warranty machines with onsite live call-out policy when the problem can be solved over the phone. The types who should not be given a computer.

I’d imagine any public facing job would absolute hell

I pretty much agree with everything you said

I'm not squeamish or mentally weak, but jaysus, I know myself. I'd be destroyed if a kid was involved. Couldn't get over that. Once I'd be done.

Office job, meh. I prefer to work from home. Get more done. I look at my pay compared to my future wife's pay. Makes no sense to me. I make money for the company, they do something important and are paid crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Any job where you have to deal with old people.

My last job we had a lot of elderly customers and they were the most miserable, entitled, grumpy pain in the arse whingebags. They talk about young people having no respect - they have no qualms with being rude, way more than any other category of person i dealt with. I know being old must suck but that doesn't give you the right to be abusive and make everyone else miserable, we're all just trying to get through the day. And I'm not a teenager I'm in my 30s.

I was required to kiss their arse and treat them like royalty and it was still never good enough. They get confused and angry at the drop of a hat and of course management blame the employee then if aul Seamus took the hump and didn't buy anything. Especially the men of the older generation are so disrespectful to workers at times, the amount of times they would come into buy something then they act like you're trying to rob them when you give them the price of anything even though many of them have plenty of dosh. Another common thing is just grunting or ignoring you completely.

Had to leave it finally as I was literally hoping for another pandemic to wipe the whole lot of them out for good. I swear to God I will never be like that in my later years.

• Advertisement

And also like Boiling Point, an excellent American series called The Bear (Disney Plus) - about a chef trying to rebuild his brother's restaurant. Not even a fancy eatery, just a hot sandwich place. The stress alone from just watching it... oh my god. Nightmare.

Loved dealing with older people. Just need to know how to deal with them. "Go away with yourself young one. We'll sort it out" done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Donald Trumps PR guy! Imagine waking up every morning to check social media to see what the mad bas**rd posted overnight! Stress!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I would say being any sort of an internal Organ or Transplant surgeon is an absolute hooooer. No thanks.

Even after you have survived the 10,000 semen rat race, 7 or so Leaving cert A's, 7 Years at med school etc etc - if you haven't got dexterous fingers you are finished. Then after all that you have to perform marathon surgeries on people you barely know, get it absolutely right ( or you're finished ) every single time pretty much?

They deserve every cent and penny they earn, taxing them is a shame all said, cheeky wry grin face.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Max H

Gynaecologist, ill say no more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Politician would be fair bad but I guess if you had a huge ego you could handle it.

Teaching would be too mind numbing and boring. Imagine finally getting out of school, turning around and heading back in. 30 years later you are still regurgitating the same crap you learned when you were in school.

Most 39 hour weeks are dead end jobs really unless you keep changing roles.

Anything with a commute over 20 mins isn't worth it but you don't realise that until you stop commuting.

Self employed is the way to go if you can handle the commitment of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,274 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

In my opinion, I believe most people don't reveal what they really think about their job and that's people don't give a ****.

A Gardai could arrest the same man 5 times over 5 days. Doesn't care. Its '9 to 5'. Just a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I posted in another thread a long time ago about a man who would come into a pub I worked in . I got on well with him ,but still knew when to back off. He was a trauma surgeon. Pressure !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement