Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ever hear of simple logic, if there is a problem try solve the problem before adding to it?

Ever hear of charity begins at home?

Ever hear the concept every country has a right to protect its borders?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

'In 2020 Gardai logged 5757 incidents under the Mental Health Act (Up 941 from 2019)'

Where's the source on it being up from 941?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

As others have noted, today's refugees are added to tomorrow's housing waiting lists.

Regarding the overwhelming majority accommodated in "refugee centres, hotels, public buildings, army barracks," this raises a more fundamental question. Why were these venues were never used in the first place when it comes to our own people? Ive never seen such political will, ingenuity and determination to find housing for asylum seekers, many of them illegal. As an example, the government is currently spending millions urgently renovating Clonliffe College in Dublin so as to host 600 refugees. Why do we only see such determination when its at the behest of our masters in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I admire your honesty but you appear to be arguing that Ireland shouldn't accept any refugees or asylum seekers into the country at all, whether 'legal', 'illegal' or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

There is nothing illegal about not allowing Asylum seekers to stay. It's up to the host nation to decide if they meet the criteria. OFC atm Ukrainians are treated as EU citizens. But everyone else can be refused on a number of grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I wouldn't even bother trying to get a logical response. That poster seems to be another NGO type fan. They most likely have skin in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I get the impression reading this thread and other ones that people would simply prefer if Ireland wasn't accepting any refugees or asylum seekers at all and it was left to other countries to take them. As we can see from the length of thread, said people don't appear to be overly keen on Ukrainian refugees coming here, never mind ones coming from the likes of Syria, Iraq, Somalia and Afghanistan.

The system is far to lax that's what most have an issue with. Imagine freeing up space getting rid of people that don't meet the requirements. Also the whole extended family issue. There should also be stipulations on accepting asylum you are not allowed to return to your home country while under protection of the Irish state. And then after receiving citizenship not allowed to return for a Mnium of 10 year or you can give up citizenship and stay home. Criminality should be a deportation and removal of Irish citizenship. Talking about crime your general joe soap would not fall afoul of. There is plenty that can be done to support genuine people fleeing for their lives. No one I have seen around here would have any issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

It's a very small minority of people when you look at the overall picture. Over represented on boards to a massive degree but doing paltry numbers at the ballot box as we see time and time again when these types give it a go.

What types would those be now ? There is no far right in Ireland only those called far right. You have about 50 people you can think of far right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Georgia a war zone?

The ballot box is not representative of how people feel right now. I am deeply unhappy with our approach to refugees and asylum seekers, but doesn’t mean I’m going to vote for the nationalists at this time (I don’t even know what they’re called).

But we need to tighten up. For example, any Albanian or Georgian male, or any male from a safe country, should be on the first flight back. Like the Germans do and the british are about to. Too many people taking the p1ss out of us.

If we don’t take control of this then I think people will, in 3 or 4 or 5 years, start showing their views at the ballot box

like Hilary Clinton said a couple of years back, if the left don’t start controlling immigration in Europe then the right eventually will

FF FG or someone needs to grab the nettle. Or the Right will rise. No one wants that but leave people little option and they will vote on this issue and vote Right. People have kids and Grandkids. It takes a lot to rile up the Irish to protest and they are now on this issue. If nothing is done It will be the water charges all over again. In that case it was after the crash. Now it's after Covid and a persistent housing shortage. The Inn is full pointing at fields or saying Netherlands this and that wont wash. You get in a taxi it's what do you think of the governments stance. In pubs people talking about it openly. People who I know that are FG voters saying it. There is only so long the Racism card will work and it's come to an end I think. It's not the Ukrainians fault I don't blame them. It's a government failure they are now the catalyst. If we were not already at bursting point It would probably have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

"Unvetted males" - Its such a really simple far right fearmongering tool.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Deleted double comment

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They’re not though, and joining any local authority housing list isn’t having any real impact on either the property or rental markets.

It’s impossible to match up applications for international protection in the years they applied with the numbers of applicants granted refugee status in any given year, but between 2019 and 2021, the numbers of applicants granted refugee status or leave to remain, vs applicants denied, was about 50/50 -

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2022-02-08a.1539&s=%22international+protection%22+applications#g1541.r

https://asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/statistics/#_ftn3

The Department of Justice has a specific team who work in collaboration with DePaul Ireland, the Jesuit Refugee Service, the Peter McVerry Trust, officials in the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government, and the City and County Managers Association to collectively support residents with status or permission to remain to access housing options. By the end of 2019, a total of 732 people transitioned out of accommodation centres, of which 500 did with the assistance of the services and support mentioned above. Figures for 2020 and 2021 were not available at the time of updating.

In April 2019 the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government released a document titled: Social Housing and HAP Supports Available to Assist Households In Direct Provision Who Have Been Granted “Leave To Remain” And Are Eligible For Social Housing. The paper confirms that people leaving Direct Provision are entitled to ‘Homeless Housing Assistance Payment’ which gives additional supports such as access to a deposit, advance rent and a discretionary 20% addition to the existing HAP rent. The Department also released, in partnership with the City and County Managers Association and IPAS, a document titled ‘Information paper on supporting people with status/leave to remain’ which contained information on how people will receive assistance to leave Direct Provision.

https://asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/content-international-protection/housing/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

discretionary 20% addition to the existing HAP rent.

So people leaving DP get more than a standard HAP applicant?

Honestly, this whole thing confuses the life out of me. I am in massive favour of legal controlled immigration, but this free for all land of hap and benefits makes no sense to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

From the provided

Garda authorities say that in 2018 there were 4002 incident types recorded on the PULSE System under the ‘Mental Health Act (detained under) category. This rose to 4816 incidents in 2019. In 2020, the figure had risen substantially to 5757 incidents.

Subtracting the total amount of incidents (4816) in 2019, from the total amount in 2020 (5757), gives us an increase of 941 in the 12-month period.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

There are not enough houses in this country because there are not enough people available to do the work, they are more people coming to this country but not enough houses for them, Why the government can't make terms and conditions that if you are healthy you can get the social welfare but we send you to building sites to help, either to do unskilled job or to assist a carpenter or a plumber or do whatever you can do, or the building companies will train you to do some job?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nope, people who are homeless, may qualify for an additional discretionary payment on top of standard HAP rate payments -

Homeless HAP Place Finder supports

The Place Finder Service in your local authority may:

• help you to find a suitable property to rent
    • pay the deposit for a property to your landlord or agent
    • pay rent in advance to your landlord or agent
    • go above the HAP rent limit by up to 35% outside the Dublin area
    • go above the HAP rent limit by up to 50% inside the Dublin area

https://hap.ie/homeless-hap/homelesshaptenants/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

That’s a bit like what Qatar did with the World Cup. All that will achieve is a spike in workplace accidents and a decrease in building quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

How do you "return" asylum seekers who have destroyed their passport and won't tell you where they came from.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What you're actually seeing is people are not in favour of the far right nutcases, they want to vote for one of the main parties. The problem is the main parties all sing from the same hymn sheet on immigration. There is no choice. Put it another way if we still had the jus soli loophole would any of the main parties today call for a referendum on it? Highly unlikely, yet that vote was a landslide, even with the shouts of "racism!" from the usual voices at the time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Of course it isn't. Russians are going there to avoid being drafted. They consider it a safe country.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Great post but to be fair most of those problems would exist whether Putin had invaded Ukraine or not. Successive FF and FG governments are to blame of the state of our health and housing crisis. Most people voted for the corrupt power swap over the last few decades.

I am sure FFG love to be able to blame the war for our dysfunction. They even let the Greens take the flak for it by somehow putting the Minister for Children in charge of the Ukrainian refugee response.

Nope. Nice exaggeration though. Genuine refugees are welcome. Economic and welfare tourists and scammers ripping up passports on flights here from safe countries are not. Pretty simple really.

There is also the matter of cutting our cloth to our measure even with genuine refugees. There are limits to the services of any nation and ours are at breaking point. A decades long muliple issues health service that was creaking before covid is now under massive strain. A housing crisis that is the worst in the history of our state. These are at best medium term problems, more like long term to get on top of. Yet we keep adding more and more people into this mess. That is not sustainable, defies logic and the government seems hellbent on continuing to do so and to do so in horrendously mismanaged way. Look at the Ukrainian refugees. 1000's signed up to house people across the nation and look how the government screwed that up, while braodcasting come on in, no cap to numbers. If they were deliberately trying to screw up they would have a hard time topping their curent actions.

On the EU. On the one hand you have supporters of this free for all claiming it's our duty as EU members, on the other you have those claiming this is the EU's fault. It isn't. Ireland and Germany have the highest numbers of Ukrainian refugess per capita. We're not the only nations in the EU. Never mind that Ireland is one of the furthest away from this crisis. The Danes have taken in Ukrainian refugees, but have otherwise tightened up their asylum process considerably. You will not see the likes of East Wall in Copenhagen. They're in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

All Irish males were classed as potential predators by media earlier in the year, now all of a sudden that’s prejudicial?

Advertisement