Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Nobody said you were expected.

I was just pointing out the irony of your rant, as it's strikingly similar to the arguments put forward by car drivers about cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

So you're Mr. Bean? Kids were watching it the other day, & he was at something similar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No you're not. There's no rule that states that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I hate to ask but how come you couldn't pass the bin truck when it collected bins? Or did I misunderstand what was happening. Was the driver overtaking each time rather than slowing once and you'd be away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

There was a very narrow street with cars parked on each side, very little room to pass. But when there was room to pass, that's exactly what the driver done, sped up while I tried passing.

• Advertisement

Very likely driver can't see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It's also a cool story bro, just waiting for it to turn into the inevitable - there has been a hint already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

The two lads hanging off the back of the truck did see me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had this prick yesterday not liking me using the 24/7 bus lane so close passed me in anger on the N4 near Lucan...

I believe that it is Dublin Fire Brigade but can anyone confirm from the logo?

(excuse my f***in hell shout)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Looks like it could be DFB to me, but quality is too hard to tell

Ribbon at the bottom is what makes me think it’s DFB instead of Kildare or Meath since it’s the only one that has it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Prick of a Taxi driver tonight he was driving too close so I turned around and held up my hand telling him to stop, he wasn't too impressed with that and then pulled in front of a car to get around me which then sided with him and started gesturing and beeping at me too! All for nothing of course the lights ahead were red and I caught him seconds later to exchange views!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I had a similar experience further on the n4 at the junction from Ballyfermot. Behavior is suspiciously similar to your video. A guy in a full Dublin Fire Brigade Ranger/Hilux/thing (red, hiviz, lights (not on)). Went past me like that, then had to stop for the lights from Inchicore so I passed him.

He shouted that I shouldn't be in the BUS lane, so I told him politely that not only _could_ I, but that the lane was _specifically_ marked with bicycles too. That and that he was on camera.

I was going to report to traffic watch, but was also considering ringing around the fire stations in town saying I would chip in to fund their chief an alarm clock, as he clearly is poor at timing his commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

A near miss last week, for the driver involved, but not for me. I braked to avoid going over her bonnet and instead went over my handlebars.

I need some advice about this one. She was nice about it (albeit she started waffling about someone on the M50 with no lights on. I think she was in shock). But as far as I’m concerned this is 100% her fault. I had 2 bright front lights and was wearing multiple hi viz/yellow bits: she just didn’t look.

I’ve got sore ribs that are popping in and out, a smashed Garmin Edge 1030 and a smashed high end front light. I think the bike is ok but I’m going to get it looked at.

I stupidly only took her reg, rather than her insurance details or even her phone number. I was in pain and just wanted to get home. I’m guessing this leaves me no choice but to go to the Gardaí if I want to follow it up? I mainly want my equipment replaced. We’re talking €500 approx. for the light and the Garmin, and whatever the bike service ends up costing (it’s just a hybrid commuter). The ribs will heal and I can likely sort any medical bits myself, I work in the field. Any ideas how I can go about contacting her/her insurer, only having her reg? Could the guards help here?

Edit: I went to the Gardaí. I'm literally only looking to contact the driver/her insurer, but seems I've to make a statement etc. I'm taking the video down for now anyway. Moral of the story: get insurance and contact details at the scene.

Post edited by Breezer on

100% the fault of the driver for entering your lane without looking.

Ask Gardai for her details - they will get them and pass them on.

Cheers. Presume I should just pay upfront for the replacement Garmin and lights and keep receipts? I should have receipts for the originals as well and I’ve photos of the smashed ones.

This was day 1 of running the new Fly 12 by the way! I had been running a GoPro at the front but got fed up with the poor battery life and had taken it off the bike!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you get her insurance company involved; the fact you've a video and are only asking for €500 they'll pay up in an instant. that's vanishingly cheap compared to most payouts they make, i'd say.

a colleague got significantly more than that for an incident where he suffered injuries avoiding a car; which he did not actually come in contact with, so similar to the above in a sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

MOST people just want it done and dusted without involving insurance premiums rising.

If you can get the details in the next day or two, I personally would contact first, then buy.(but again, most people would be happy with the bill being that low, and not being taken advantage of)

That junction in Phibsboro is notorious for that particular manoeuvre, even when I'm driving a double decker in that lane ~ someone flashes them and they think they own the road, the CAN'T see anything else.

Hopefully your ribs recover quickly, and you get your other bits sorted too.

• Advertisement

Yeah I could probably put her through the ringer if I wanted to (I reckon I’ve non-displaced rib fractures, hard to be sure without an X-ray). I don’t think I want to though. She seemed pleasant enough and I suspect she’ll think twice in future. I just want my gear replaced really. I’ll see how I heal up and I’ll think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Sh1t situation and completely her fault in my opinion, but I think back to Ciaran cannon and his incident and wonder if you would get anything out of it.

Cheers. Presume I should just pay upfront for the replacement Garmin and lights and keep receipts? I should have receipts for the originals as well and I’ve photos of the smashed ones.

I don't see why not and you'll need them anyhow.

Like @magicbastarder says, they'll pay up quickly and I can't see them questioning some lights and a bike computer when potentially it could have been broken bones, etc. (thankfully so!).

Any claim should include medical costs incurred and that may arise.

I'd also note down everything you remember e.g. conditions at the time (i.e. the road wasn't icy or whatever) and light was good - I'd forget stuff after a few days

I thought of this and went back and looked at Ciarán’s incident, then looked at my video a few times. The difference here (I think; I am not a lawyer) is that Ciarán was filtering on the inside of a line of traffic, with no cycle lane. I was actually travelling in a clear bus/cycle lane. Whatever argument could be made in Ciarán’s case about the driver not expecting him to be coming up the inside, this driver drove straight into a different traffic lane without looking.

I’m not suggesting either driver was in the right, but I just don’t see how this one could even make the argument that she had no expectation of oncoming traffic (and I don’t think she did, to be fair).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was that not that the gardai/dpp decided not to prosecute? if so, that's very different to making an insurance claim (or asking for €500 for damaged equipment); Breezer is not looking to prosecute.

I wonder out of curiosity (and not that it makes a difference to her actions) but did she just pull in front of you or did the driver travelling in your direction and facing her kinda wave her on.

I don’t know and can’t tell from the video. I’ll have a listen back to the full aftermath audio later but I think it was both of us talking a bit of gibberish for the most part. Irrelevant anyway, as you say.

Just looking at the video again but I can't tell - did your helmet get damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭MacDanger

100% the driver's fault obviously but would the fact that you didn't actually collide with the car affect who is liable?

• Advertisement

I don't think an insurance company would consider opposing this claim, especially when it is clear that the drivers actions directly led to the outcome.

Advertisement