Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Do a Galway -> dublin airport return trip, I know the ID 3 will make it to Dublin fine with maybe 15-25% or more left, can anyone recomend a fast charger that usually free around that area? Other than Enfield on the motorway I can't think of anything en router, the Ionity in Athlone is basically useless when departing from Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

What size battery do you have?

I use ionity Athlone (ID.4 77kWh) all the time. Leave Galway with a full charge , stop in Athlone and top up to 85-90%. Carry on to Dublin and back to Athlone again and charge as needed to get home. Avoid charging in Dublin altogether, much easier.

The new Applegreen in Enfield might be working, check PlugShare. The eCars charger in Enfield is a disaster.

Kinnegad has 2 Easygo 50kW as well.

@cannco253 I'm a 58kwh, ID3, so in summer was seeing 400+home at 100, not sure what that will say in December.

The id range of cares are really good. I do like the id3 a lot, the interior is a bit **** to be honest but I've learned to live with it, 47,400 Kms later it's a good work horse leading me to believe I'm just going to pay the balloon and keep it because there doesn't look to be anything I could replace it with at a decent price and while mine may have increased in value, new electrics are more expensive and VW are removing kit while also increasing the cost of the cars. I'm also doing well above the PCP mileage so that will eat into any equity I would have in the car.

The one thing that does concern me is the battery capacity I'm seeing, having 68.3 Kwh from 73.5 when new. Whether this is correct or not remains to be seen. I had hoped I would have had close to 77 Kwh actual usable when I got it for a decent time but never had 77 Kwh available to begin with, I guess the BMW i3 gave me high expectations for a newer EV. I don't really care if they will unlock more capacity as the car ages, I wanted more range available when I need it.

Anyway, I assume the id3 will have the range I need to meet my commute for many years to come, I just can't see anything out there attractive enough with good range by the time my pcp is up, the next EV I get will have to charge faster and have 80+ actual usable Kwh.

EV manufacturers need to wake up and realise 30-40 min charge times are completely unacceptable for the majority of People even if they will rarely use fast chargers, when they need them they expect to charge a lot faster. For those with no home charging I can't imagine it being acceptable at all, the die hard EV fans will make it work there's a big difference.

You won't get anywhere near 400 kms at 120 Km/Hr, I'd get maybe 360-370 @ 120 Km/hr in the 77 Kwh, funny though that doesn't seem to change much in colder weather though suppose it hasn't been that cold yet.

Use a better route planner it might give you a better idea.

If getting 19 Kwh/100 Kms and having 52 Kwh available out of the 58 Kwh ? that gives a range of 273 before you run out so you'd need to be plugged in by what 240 kms ?

21 Kwh/100 Kms would give you a range of 247 kms needing to be plugged in my 210-220 Kms again if the 58 Kwh has a huge buffer like the 77 Kwh that would leave you with around 53 Kwh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Comer1

Very good and useful post 👍. My driving results would tally very closely to your figures above.

I estimate it now takes approximately 54Kwh to fully charge my 58Kwh ID.3 from 0 to 100%, so I'd guess I've even less than 52Kwh usable battery now. But the truth is I have no idea how much of the 54Kwh actually gets to the battery. I have over 55k on my one and a half year old car, so if it held at that I'd be happy enough. A lot of people online reporting that the degradation seems to stabilize after the first year. Let's hope so.

Do people know how accurate the average kWh/100km is as reported by the car?

I think the trip computer is pretty accurate from my calculations.

You'd need the torque app and dongle to see what's going on with the battery.

My 77 Kwh only every had 73.5 usable and now 68.5 Kwh out of 82, so out of 82 Kwh new only 73.5 is available in the 77 Kwh.

This is why I'm thinking the same buffer is applied to the 58 Kwh that would be around 54 Kwh new and if it has the same reported degradation as mine around 5 Kwh you'd have around 49 Kwh but mine is just over 1 year and has 47,300 Kms.

Again, the best way to check is with the torque app and dongle.

I am annoyed that I have around 9 Kwh less now than the 77 Kwh I "thought" I had when new after just 1 year, that's a tough pill to swallow really considering the extra cost of the T5, I don't really care about VW's excuse for buffer either.

If the trip computer is accurate, I can calculate the kWh of the battery as follows:

(kWh used) x (km travelled) / (% used)

Example for this weekend's driving:

19.7x126/51=48.67 kWh battery capacity.

This is with 56,000km on the car.

So it would seem to be consistent with your findings.

It would be good if you could get a scan to get a more accurate reading but it's probably correct.

I bought a car which was supposed to have 77 KWh available now turns out after 1 year 1 month and 47,300 kms I have 68 Kwh available, if I were to buy 9 Kwh off VW it would be damn expensive, I am having difficulty with this to be honest, while it may not sound much that's still 47 km range @19 Kwh/100 Kms.

I'd have 73 Kwh if it were not for some other stupid buffer I don't care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

(kWh used) x (km travelled) / (% used)

The assumption there would be that the % used is a linear scale.... which it isn't.

• Advertisement

True, would it be more accurate after driving from 100% down to 10%?

It's only ever going to be an estimation at best anyway. Also, done over a period time, it would still be a good judge of degradation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Received the v3 update last week. Ever since i have issues with the WeConnect App showing "Limited Services" as it says i am not logged into the vehicle. I set myself up as the primary user when i did the update and i am the only user setup. Anyone else having similar issues? Going to be a pain if i cant set the air con from the app for the freezing weather this week!

The best test of degradation is to measure how many kWh's it takes to charge it from 0-100% (or any known point... can be 10-80% if you wish) and then subtract a few % for charging losses.

That test wont be influenced by traffic, wet roads, crap tyres, speed you drive at etc. And it is a highly repeatable test that you can run over and over yourself. The less variables you have in the test the more accurate it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Had same issue.

You need to go to VW web app site..Sign up to the we app services, even though you have it already. It's still free...Tick all the boxes, and give permissions, Also do the same under privacy both on the web app site and in the car...

You'll eventually get their, just read the guides carefully

From The VW ID£ Facebook Site.

Volkswagen ID. 

Admin

·

·

Dear ID. Drivers,

Last week we informed you about the last status of the current ID. software 3.0 OTA-wave. Now that we have analyzed the results of the current OTA wave, we would like to inform you about the next steps, as promised:

- We will start an additional ID. software 3.0 OTA wave for those who registered for the “I want OTA” action via email but were not able to be included in the previous wave (please note that the vehicle must meet the requirements. All emails will be reconsidered received by Nov. 30th, 2022)

- We have noticed that a few vehicles can currently not be supplied with OTA updates due to a certain hardware composition. We are working on a service solution for these vehicles.

- The above-mentioned ID. software 3.0 OTA-wave is planned to start in December 2022. We will soon provide you with detailed information about the start of the upcoming wave as well as tips for successfully installing the OTA update.

We know that you had to wait some time for the update and would like to thank you for your feedback and patience.

To avoid confusion, we would also like to inform you that we are launching an additional OTA campaign for certain MEB vehicles of the Volkswagen and SKODA brands that were built and delivered with ID. software 3.0 already installed. The customers with certain MEB vehicles having ID. software 3.0 already installed during the production process will receive an optimized version of the ID. software 3.0 software factory-version via an OTA campaign.

As usual the update will be rolled out in the form of a canary release – i.e. in staggered waves that grow in the number of participants. The software contains optimizations and no new features. Over the next few weeks participating vehicles will display the familiar notification in the infotainment system. You can find more information about the update in the release notes available there and start the installation as usual via the exit panel.

Your Volkswagen ID. Team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Thanks so much for this. I think its sorted now after i "bought" the 3 we connect plus apps, logged back into the car and updated privacy settings on the user. Doesnt seem to prompt for online mode now and just welcomes me which is what i hoped for also. Fingers crossed thats it.

Glad to help

pre heating is a feature that we have come to love, especially on those cold mornings, when the neighbors are using kettles to de ice.

😎

So no details on when 'normal' people get 3.0 ? or maybe I didn't understand it completely

We have noticed that a few vehicles can currently not be supplied with OTA updates due to a certain hardware composition. We are working on a service solution for these vehicles.

Oh dear! Back to the dealer again for those people. I guess this is why they are releasing slowly to not end up with loads of bricked cars on driveways.

I presume the first batch of 850 had some failures and they figured out it was a particular set of cars and have now removed all those from the next wave.

They’re learning how to do OTA… sloooowly. 🤪

Slowly is right, now they have an updated model coming and can't get their sh1t together with the software.

• Advertisement

I know its a bit old, but new to me, a range example fo today and the first cold journey I had. Departed Limerick with 245km, stopped to watch the end of a match then as far as Galway, arrived with 86km! (about 100km journey)

I guess the stop and start and the cold and the motorway speeds all add up, still such a difference from summer. The cabin heating seems to make little to no difference,

58kwhr battery, pro preformance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It's based on your recent trips, when I went for a drive last night my range went from 110km to 100km within the first 5 minutes, it was 5C outside. I did around 40km and arrived back with 60km.

I have noticed that stop/start is the worst efficiency of my driving, even last night with no traffic just lots of traffic lights the car barely got under 20kWh/100km until I was on roads with less stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Found this in my camera roll earlier from early last year, prices have come a long way......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yep that’s scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The life is up 31% on the road and the business a tiny bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bit of a change to spec now though isn't there. The Life DX has Matrix headlights, Alloys and the better seats. Probably a few other changes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Call the life dx a business spec+alloys would be the realistic comparison so say 36k versus whatever they are now ....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,498 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i wonder are touch screens easier on LlHD cars , as most people will use their dominant hand as oppose to their clumsy left hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

I just can’t use the touch screen while driving. Maybe when voice control is better things might be easier.

• Advertisement

Personally the haptic buttons on the wheel I find excellent, love swipe to change view and volume, and honestly I needed to be told I was not pressing something as they feel that good to me.

The infotainment thing is a mess, that thing needs physical buttons, Radio station hot keys / heat wheel,seat are the ones im always missing. Also the swiping the screen is a mess a times. I think an apple style touch bar would work well but guessing not a cheap solution.

Would love to upgrade my family in a year or two, but with the prices its so hard to justify. Still waiting on schedule charging :(

Advertisement