Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou McDonald's interviews today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Two long-term Direct Provision centres here in Galway city. 3,291 Ukrainian refugees in the county as per October 3, including four families on my estate. Happy to welcome many more. Our country can afford to help people fleeing wars and conflicts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Which bit of my statement - I condemn Sinn Fein for continuing to support killers, thugs, child abusers and rapists - are you in disagreement with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭HBC08

My rural home village of 1000 people is dealing with 750 refugees with no additional services.

Apply that metric to Galway city and get back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why are you spoofing about what you originally said?

MLMD has told us that deaths in a conflict are not as serious as gangland crime. Now, unless she is portraying her conflict as somewhat more glorified than other conflicts, not only is she saying that gangland crime is worse than the Holocaust, she is also saying that the gangland crime in Ireland is worse than Putin invading Ukraine.

She really didn't think through her horrific justification of the sins of the PIRA.

You misquoted her - she said zero about 'seriousness'

She was doing exactly what you and others routinely do, she said it was 'different'.

I have already addressed this a page ago:

I don't disagree with her right to distinguish, I dispute the distinction she made. That is where you are not reading my posts, which you have clearly demonstrated in your most recent contribution.

PIRA violence was more serious, terrorised more communities and caused more damage to more people than gangland violence has. If you and MaryLou agree with that, then we are at idem.

• Advertisement

Yes we know that under pressure and questioning you pivoted to that.

Whatever Francie, can see right through your posts.

And you cannot, like FG and FF address the inherent hypocrisy in your position.

Without of course, doing exactly what MLMD did.

If you have accredited media verification of successful criminal proceedings against any person that SF supports then I will join you in condemnation of both said person and the party. Without such you're in the realms of hearsay.

As before do you apply the same post-conflict standards to South Africa, Palestine and Colombia as you do to Ireland? Or you continue with your hypocrisy?

Nothing online fits your numbers for that town. At the very least you're exaggerating numbers and the lack of support.

• Advertisement

By the way, you STILL haven't pointed to where she talked about one being more 'serious' than the other. Or were you misrepresenting again.

You have extrapolated a nonsensical conclusion from an interviewed, failed to provide relevant quotes to back up your position and continue to defensively attack others whilst posting sentences entirely bereft of content. Others would use the word spoofer, I cannot possibly comment.

Nothing online?

Ffs,I'm looking out the window at it.

Just because you're not effected right now by what's going on doesn't mean you won't be.Its a very "I'm alright jack" selfish approach.

By the way I support taking in Ukrainian refugees in principle but not the disastrous way the government has gone about it.

Similar situations in Clare and Donegal but I don't know the details of them locally, maybe you can find them "online"

I don't support "international protection " chancers from Albanian and Georgia being stuffed into small rural villages.

By the way,above article is 3 weeks old and number has gone up to about 750 since then.

Edit,maybe best not to engage with you on this thread as you haven't a clue what's you're talking about and you've been shown up fairly badly.

It's also off topic so won't contribute further to it on this thread.

You’ve been entirely disingenuous and given completely false numbers. As per the article the refugee numbers are 700 not 750 (no official figures to show an increase).

The Breaffy Woods Hotel is also within Castlebar which had a population of 12,068 at the 2016 census. Undoubtedly more now as the nationwide population has increased in the past six years.

And I welcome your offer not to engage further following the utterly false figures you’ve provided to distort the situation. I understand the pressure put on some smaller urban centres during this crisis but falsifying figures does you a disservice.

Unfortunately I can't let these lies go unchallenged.

Breaffy is a village outside Castlebar,I am from the area,nobody would ever consider Breaffy part of Castlebar,you would be laughed out of it by anyone from either Breaffy or Castlebar for suggesting same.Its an utterly ridiculous thing to say and smacks of desperation as you have been badly caught out on this and you know it.

I've included a link as you can't believe anything unless you see it online t seems although you weren't great at finding a link to Breaffy or any of the similar situations in Donegal or Clare.(Perhaps you can justify the situation in Lisdoonvarna by suggesting it is not a village but is in fact in Limerick?)

I know its a fairly shocking situation,it's is unbelievable so in fairness I can see why you want to bury your head or pretend it's not happening .

On another note it seems you can't believe anything unless you see a link,there were 700 refugees on site in Breaffy since 26th Oct this year,I and the rest of the village knew this as we watched them put the beds in to a sports hall,also from chatting to some of the Ukrainians staying at the adjacent Woods Hotel.Nothing was official or reported online for 3 weeks after that (and even that was only after Breaffy community Council were demanding info from government and the hotel itself)

So by your logic those numbers didn't exist until they were reported almost a month later.The number is about 750 now,when or if that'll be reported I don't know.

You have been totally and utterly shameful in the way you have acted on this specific example.You made a statement calling out my figures and then when I posted a link you decided that Breaffy is not a village but is in fact part of Castlebar! It's OK to be wrong,to double down,move the goalposts and start telling lies (whether by genuine ignorance or just to flail about and try to win an argument ) is a nasty trait.

If that's the way you want to conduct yourself that's your perogative. I won't engage with you again on this thread,it's off topic and I apologise to others who want to stay on topic.If you want to continue come over to one of the dedicated threads on this where you'll have your arse handed to you more regularly.

I know the area. I’m from quite close by. The hotel address is Castlebar and all hotels there believe they’re in the county town. You could drop over tonight and put them right.

The funds applied to the area are via Castlebar Municipal Council. All services in the area put themselves down as Castlebar - Breaffyns School, Woodview Lodge, Breaffy GAA, etc.

You may have some local rivalries there dude but you’re very much in Castlebar and the funding comes via there. Therefore please don’t use exaggerated figures as you did as you’ll be called out on them.

Very composed and assured interview on the Late Late tonight...FF and FG wouldn't have liked the round of applause when she said she'd prefer a government without either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Jeez Francie, one reassuring constant in life is knowing how you'll respond to stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Questions on how she funded the remodeling of her house - and its quite a large house - were asked in 2015.

Funny - she didn't answer them then either

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/the-irish-mail-on-sunday/20150412/281964606242293

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

CA threads are so much more enjoyable in recent times 😉

• Advertisement

I suspect this will run and run.

This was not a small extension - this was a complete rebuild.

In 2010 there was a typical 50's style bungalow and Ms Mc Donald - who at that time was VERY public in stating that she took just the average wage and not the TD salary of 92k, along with her husband who had a fairly ordinary position in Bord Gais could get a large mortgage AND spend a very large sum on a rebuild

Planning ref 2839/10

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/dublincity/application-details/91875

Where did all that money come from?

Here's the description - it more than doubled the size of the house

Development at the existing dwelling to consist of the following: Removal of roof on existing bungalow, build up existing external walls and construct a new first floor extension over the ground floor to provide four new bedrooms, sanitary / ancillary accommodation in a dormer style pitched roof area to include 2 no. dormer windows & 2 no. rooflights to front elevation, 3 no. dormer windows & 6 no. rooflights to rear, 3 no. rooflights to side / west elevation and 3 no. rooflights to side / east elevation. Demolition of 2 no. existing ground floor bay windows and construction of replacement single storey bay windows to the front elevation. Demolition of existing single storey flat roof extension and construction of a replacement single storey flat roof ground floor extension with rooflight along with installation of 2 no. solar panels to the rear / south elevation. Construction of replacement side entrance gate and screen wall, re-roofing of 2 no. existing ground floor pitched roof extensions to rear of existing dwelling, relocation of existing ground floor window to side / west elevation, new corner window to existing ground floor extension to rear and provision of a brick and plaster plinth area to the front elevation and replacement of existing dry dash finish to external walls with a render finish together with all related internal alterations, site development & site service works.

and who were the contractors?

Did they give a far bigger discount?

Was Abco Electrical the electrical contractor? (Johnathan Dowdall)

How much did it cost? You seem to have ommitted the figure. How much savings had they? Did they recieve an inheritance? How much of a mortgage did they take?

Not enough detail here tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yet, he never voted for SF until the last election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

And how will she be able to do that?

There is no way in hell SF will be able to form a government without FG or FF. The seats are just not there.

MLMD will have to eat her words, like Gilmore before her.

As an aside, I didn't watch the interview, but was looking at a house and the auctioneer we had did. Without prompting he tore strips off her 'plans' to build 20,000 social houses a year. According to him its not possible as there just isn't the people and the skilled labour in Ireland to do it.

His words, not mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I thought the Mark Carruthers interview was good, he had her exactly where he wanted her and she struggled to answer.

Everyone saying how great she was on TLLS, it was Tubirdy so she knew full well it was going to be an easy ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Augme

Yes, because an auctioneer is obviously going to give a completely unbiased opinion on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

SF are spoofing because the numbers of construction workers needed to actually go out and build the houses aren't there, now that isn't some random guy like me on the internet saying it but the industry itself.

Unless SF are going to put on hard hats and work boots and build a few themselves.

They are a party of spoofers and its amazing so many believe their lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Augme

Someone in the industry who would lose a huge amount of money if Sinn Fein did get into power. As I said, I wouldn't be listening to an auctioneer for unbiased opinions. Even if they didn't built 20,000, they would build a huge amount more than FG or FF. Who have proven there number priority is keeping property developers, landlords and auctioneers swimming in as much profit as possible while at the expense of a large portion of society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I think so emphasis should be put on the lightweight that was interviewing her.

Advertisement