Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He’s good alright… comes across as being a very likeable individual, a really good communicator and an intelligent and interesting cricket thinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

10 fer for Leach.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

England making light work of chasing down the target.

scoring 5 an over with plenty of attacking purpose. 52 from 39 this innings . 1 wicket down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Hard to legislate for freaks like Rishabh Pant. India in trouble away from home, he is the man. Jadeja invaluable again too.

I know it's worked so far for him but I'm not sure how Stokes squares ultra positivity with bowling first on good pitches. Let's see how this one pans out but there's a reason teams always wanted to bat first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

Oh no KP in the commentary box.

• Advertisement

West Indies absolutely hammered by Bangladesh who go 2-0 up in a 3 match series, in the West Indies no less..

West Indies bowled out for 108, Bangladesh too chasing it down in a fraction over 20 overs and only loosing two wickets in the process.

never thought I’d be reading about Bangladesh playing The West Indies let alone taking a 2-0 lead against them in and beating them in the series in their own back yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

NZ 206/3 after 19 overs v Scotland today. Just under 11 an over. Could we see the first ever 500+ ODI score

Much prefer a big nation to have that honour rather than the likes of the Scots, as much as I want to see it. I was happy Holland avoided it against England a few weeks back too.

The 500 that got away was the Trent Bridge game against Australia. Tim Paine captain and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Won't be happening today anyway, idiot here didn't cop it's a T20

England score 234 from their 20.

the SA bowling was pathetic . Three dropped catches and some fumbling in the field too.

Bairstow with 90 from 43…8 maximums.

Ali with 52 from 18.

33 runs were scored off the 17th over.

can’t see the English bowlers being that ill-disciplined..

• Advertisement

sad news from South Africa..

given the glowing tributes emanating from all around, he was a very popular guy and respected by colleagues, players and the cricket loving public..

West Indies vs New Zealand is live on YouTube... WI have bowled decently... but poor shots too have limited NZ. 186/7 after 43...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

What was Elgar thinking in batting at the toss....SA have really paid a price today for that poor decision.

I have to say, it’s a pretty pathetic winter of cricket fixture wise.

the slog-a-thon World Cup, whoppdy dooo

england then have a 3 test series vs Pakistan and a 2 test series vs New Zealand.

Can safely say Zimbabwe won’t be laying a glove on Australia in tonight’s ODI… Aussie bowlers on top completely. 9 overs in and its 24/3.. Starc 3/15 after 5 overs….

Zimbabwe bowled out for 96 in the 28th over… hmmmm

Post edited by Strumms on

Different prospect this morning, Zimbabwe all over the Aussies who are 130/7 from 27 overs but might have been worse if Zimbabwe reviewed an lbw shout.

Ryan Burl , 6th bowler, takes 5 wickets in 18 deliveries.

Australia out for 141 from 31 overs..

Post edited by Strumms on

After day 1 and 75 overs, England are 506/4.

Run rate of 6.74 runs an over. A shade under double what has been the test average that last 5 or so years. They were going well when I drifted off to sleep, in complete one day mode but astounded to wake to this scoreboard, after just 75 overs of cricket 😳🫣

hopefully they just aim for 580 and get into Pakistan before lunch. I don’t think Stokes will be as conservative as some of his predecessors with the the decision to declare..

Imagine if they got the 90 overs in. Well beyond 600. Mental.

This game is going nowhere fast. Half chances are at a premium and all the chat is the pitch to remain very good for batting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Trampas

Why don’t they start earlier. No chance of getting 90 overs in on a day starting at 10am. Can’t even get to the expected close of play time

God knows. It pretty much guarantees at least 50 overs being lost. Combined with a rubbish pitch, it’s not doing much for the game.

Despite all that, we could still have a good finish on our hands. Especially if Stokes is extra generous declaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is the pitch fit for purpose. Can't imagine too many getting up to watch it.

End of day 3 and England have an 158 run lead. Pakistan have 3 wickets left.

Ramiz Raja, head of the Pakistani cricket board has come out and lambasted the pitch..

always liked Ramiz and fair fûcks to him for speaking out… advocating or certainty looking at drop in pitches to try solve this situation.

1156 runs scored and not two innings completed ffs.…

as for the cricket….the draw is the likely result, but Pakistani lads get skittled out which is possible being now 7 down… England put the foot down they’ll win… weather won’t intervene.

the early start is a no brainer

Drop in pitches make sense when other sports use the grounds too. Watched a MCG video of what’s involved and it not insignificant. Redoing the square, brining in better soil has been done successfully but is a long process.

In the meantime, leaving some grass will surely help. Hiring better groundsmen. But the current one might be just working to orders. I read Ramiz say he or the board don’t interfere in pitch preparation, they leave it to the ground.

True, I don’t believe other sports use that ground, I can’t find any records of other sports but if the ground staff for whatever reason are just incapable of preparing a suitable pitch… because of their performance, the ground / soil or any reason the other options require examination…

Most of the Australian cricket stadia have drop in pitches nowadays.. as they are multipurpose / multi sport facilities.

this is an interesting short video..about the MCG pitch… that piece of equipment isn’t coming cheap.

another good video…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Xander10

Well, as unlikely as it seemed, it's game on for Day 5

Couldn’t believe they declared during lunch. Only for Babar being out I’d have Pakistan big favourites. Very generous by Stokes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Keeping an eye on this match - what a difference to the frenetic T20 diet. Several centuries, lots of runs, bowlers having to work for wickets. But also a game of two halves it seems. I wonder are Eng relying on spin being effective on Day 5. Intriguing.

• Advertisement

England need a single wicket for victory.

Pakistan need 75 runs. As I type Pope leaves a catch from an edge off the bowling off Stokes to his first slip… it’s Pope’s catch all day. Maybe inexperience from the 24 year old there. Stokes can’t believe it…..

England are looking nervous. Only needing a wicket, bowlers well on top, but light fading.

after drinks break, the Pakistani batsman Ali, disappears for a bathroom break. He only arrived at the crease… more skulduggery from Pakistani players. Floodlights are switched on, again, skulduggery, why wait till it’s almost dark ? Pakistani batsman off to mid on, fumbling with the velcro on his gloves now.

Advertisement