Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why inheritance is the dirty secret of the middle classes – harder to talk about than sex

Options

Comments

No. The wages I get off my employer are off what my employer has left after their taxes. It’s not the same money taxed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

When you get a job someday you will learn all about it. You will indeed find that you are taxed on that income.

In fact, for the money paid to you by your employer, he will likely not have his income tax deducted from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I've never met anyone who pays tax on nixers, do you really declare nixers lol

No. I don't do nixers. It was a hypothetical question

"lol"

If it’s mine when I’m alive and I want to give it to my kids it’s the same outcome if it’s taken off me or my kids it doesn’t matter and is purely a technicality. It’s taken off what I have made and it’s you who wants to take it. As usual to prop of those who have made nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

They should just legalise drugs. That’s where the killing is to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Word salad you say, and then follow up with “you contribute OR take, often both at some stage in your life”. Your point is meaningless, we’re all aware that we give and take and all the rest of it. I didn’t have to pay for my education for example, funding for education is provided for by the State out of public funds, which are paid into out of general taxation, including income tax, inheritance tax, corporation tax.

It’s how a society functions, by wealth redistribution. The basics of this debate is get rid of your wealth while you’re alive and pass it onto your children and grandchildren in the most tax efficient way possible, and then they won’t be hit with an enormous tax burden on their inheritance when you do pop your clogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Oh right, silly hypothesis in fairness as no one pays tax on nixers lol

No it's not.

If you have a 500k house and leave it to one child, that child will be liable to a small tax.

If you have a 500k house and you leave it to two children, neither will pay any tax (unless they already exhausted their lifetime allowances)

The tax system doesn't give a bollix what your, the now dead person, circumstances are or were. You're dead. You can't own anything. It is all now in your estate

When I get a job someday? Can you not just argue your point of view?

• Advertisement

Depends on the "nixer". Plenty of people make a lot from them. Depends on your definition of the word though. You can define it as something where no tax is paid if you want

Sure there is even the odd story about teachers getting stung over giving grinds. Never mind fellas on the dole and, in reality, putting up extensions.

Not all nixers are cash-in-hand either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As regards inheritance, yes completely..

because tax has been earned, taxed.

Someone else paid tax on that income. Now it's the beneficiaries turn

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hang on - are you arguing in favour of or against tax here....?

Also - how do you pay tax on an asset without liquidising the asset?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

More word salad. You don’t really say anything. Tax is part of society and vital to society. What should and shouldn’t be taxed is the discussion here.

You mean now it’s the governments turn to take again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think it's been mentioned several times already, but i suspect the main reason this would be an issue for some in ireland is a result of our dysfunctional property system, as i suspect most examples of people paying inheritance tax is on property. if houses weren't so falsely expensive, a good proportion of those who have paid tax probably wouldn't have breached the threshold to pay.

anyway, my attitude to anyone complaining about inheritance tax can be boild down to - boo hoo, your dad gave you 400k and you've to pay €21k in tax. life's not fair.

i pay tax at the top rate of money i've worked to earn. why shouldn't i pay tax on money i didn't work to earn?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Interesting discussion but you are really only dealing with the crumbs off the inheritance table.

The real wealth owned by the truly rich tends to be well protected by a phalanx of lawyers and accountants and is handed down pretty much intact.

Trust funds, off shore accounts and extensive land/property holdings are to large extent bullet proof.

I was explaining to the poster why it is not the dead person who is getting taxed (as they appear to think)

There is no law forcing you to liquidise an asset. There are other mechanisms by which you can acquire money besides being gifted it from your parents. You could, for example, have a job which pays you money and you could use that money to pay inheritance tax.

Paying tax on inherited wealth isn’t up for negotiation though, not sure what you think there is to discuss? If someone inherits assets from another, they may have to pay tax on that asset. They didn’t have to pay tax on it before, because it wasn’t theirs.

The idea that their parents or grandparents paid taxes on the asset while they benefited from the ownership of said assets, means nothing as far as whether or not the person who inherits the asset should have to pay tax on it now that they own it and and benefit from ownership of the asset.

It’s why people are encouraged to pass on their assets while they are still alive, to reduce the amount of tax the person who inherits the assets will have to pay upon their inheritance when the person dies.

It’s not word salad, it’s pretty basic economics. That’s why it’s a good idea to make a will too - so that you can decide within the bounds of Irish law how your estate is to be distributed upon your death, seeing as you can’t take it with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I'd be very happy to see the tax free threshold for inheritance tax abolished and it all taxed at the recipients marginal rate .

It's nonsense that it should be treated differently, it's income to those who receive it and I say this as someone who it seems will have considerably less issues planning for retirement when I receive inheritance from my parents.

No. It will be the first, and only time, the beneficiary pays taxes on that windfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Problem there is that you're assuming either a) the inheritance is cash; or b) the person inheriting already has substantial cash reserves.

What if they inherit the family house and decide they want to move into it and live there? They have to stump up for the privilege? What percentage do you think they should be paying on the inheritance?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Sorry what? Who is coughing up 33%? You are receiving 66%. You didn't earn it!

Even from an purely economic perspective, you want to reward merit(output) so that you increase the overall output of the country. But here we have an unfair advantage that is uncompetitive and reduces the potential of the country as a whole.

Its not right morally or practically.

If they are smart, and move into the house before the parent passes away, they inherit it all tax free.

If you don't plan, and you inherit a very valuable house which you want to move into, you won't need your own house and can sell that if you want. If you are in your 50's and don't have a house or any savings and you inherit a 3 million Euro house for example, then maybe it would be better for you to liquidate it anyway

It's 33% on the value about 350k or thereabouts. A person inheriting the average house will pay very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It’s clear some don’t like the thought of inheritance, perhaps it is more prevalent in those that won’t get any, or don’t think their kids deserve it. It is worth remembering that IHT is most often a tax on middle class savings rather than on the wealth of the super rich being handed down multiple generations.

My view would be, is the State more entitled to the fruits of the working middle class than their children are, and if so, why? Have we not earned the right, after paying tax all our lives, not to be charged a further tax just because we have died?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they want to be given a house they don't already live in, and can't afford the tax, tough.

under the current regime, the tax on the 'worst case' scenario for a 500k property (which is well above the national medium) is approx 10% the value of the property.

Have we not earned the right, after paying tax all our lives, not to be charged a further tax just because we have died?

AGAIN, the tax is not charged on the deceased (or the benefactor).

It’s not a tax on middle class savings though, it’s a tax that everyone is obligated to pay based upon the fact that they have inherited an asset which is considered an income - everyone pays tax on any income received.

The State is entitled to tax, the children or grandchildren or their spouse or whomever is the beneficiary of the inheritance is the person who is obligated to pay any outstanding taxes, not the person who has died, and because nobody who has died is paying any further tax, the idea of the right not to pay any further taxes just doesn’t arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The vast vast majority of people use solicitors to go through the probate process. They actually take a percentage of the total estate as well. Even down to the value of cars. Total parasites. They try to make the probate process appear difficult to try to avoid people doing it themselves

Advertisement