Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why inheritance is the dirty secret of the middle classes – harder to talk about than sex

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This is bizarre logic.

First off, you're going for an ideal world as a cop out - assuming that it's somehow possible to predict the death of a parent (or blaming people for bad planning if the death was sudden) and even then you're condoning inheriting without tax while trying to argue for the exact opposite in the first place....?

Then you're advising people to sell off the house they already own (eh???!) and telling people that they should actually have to pay 1 million euro to move into a house that they legally already own....?? That's actually beyond bizarre.

And even 33% of 350k is something in the region of 115,000 euro. Not everyone has that kind of cash lying around - what makes you think they do??

The only think I can take from this post is that you seem to be of the belief that everyone who inherits either already owns houses or has hundreds of thousands of cash on hand. At which point I've proven the flaws in your thinking that I highlighted in my initial post.

Problem there is that you're assuming either a) the inheritance is cash; or b) the person inheriting already has substantial cash reserves.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I guess I don't get this concept. You are dead, how can you be taxed?

Also why do you care, your existence has ended, thats a bit more profound than worrying about where the money goes. Maybe that's just the way I see it.byhe world can end one second after I die for all I care, or you can all discover immortality, none of my business anymore.

Ill take your point, the only people I think that argue against inheritance tax are those that would benefit. I will get something, I don't want it, I'd rather they spend every last cent that they can. I'd happily do without it if everyone else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

1) You don't need two houses. If you inherit a house that you want to live in, you won't need your current house.

2) I think you misunderstand the basics. If you inherit the 350k house from your parents, you will pay zero tax on it.

The idea behind 100% relief for inheriting a house if living in it, is not for a person to cynically guess when their parent will die so that they can move in in time. It is meant for people who are genuinely living in a house and sharing with a parent so that they can keep living there. If you have your own house, then it isn't aimed at you

Why "tough"? A citizen aquires something for their own private use - why should the government get a say in how it's used?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

How about we just tax money and property involved in commercial transactions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why not 'tough'? it's not their home. they still benefit massively from selling it.

if they've been living in the house anyway, they get it for free. if they've not been living in the house, they're clearly living somewhere else and have just been given a house they don't occupy and previously did not own.

whatever the arguments are against inheritance tax, this example is not one of them.

I've delt with no 1 more than once, I'm not dealing with it again.

Regarding no. 2 - aren't you arguing that the recipient should have to pay the 33% tax in this scenario? or have I picked you up wrong?

Example: I pay rent and live on a modest income, I own no other properties - my parents pass away leaving me their house - I want to cancel my lease and move into what is now my legally owned house - you're saying I should pay 1/3 of the value of the house to revenue to do this - yes or no?

Newspaper with posh (but liberal, so it's ok) readership and writers, complaining about the middle class. Again.

Plus ça change.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Either take out a loan to pay off the tax (you now have an asset you can secure that loan against) or if you can't afford the repayments sell the house and use the remainder to buy a smaller house. At a minimum you've gained €335,000 + 67% of anything over that.

I really don't get it, am I supposed to feel sorry for the small amount of people in this situation beyond feeling sorry for the death of their loved one? Like, having to sell the family home, if it comes to that, isn't great in an emotional sense but as far as real problems go, it's not high up there compared to say, never being able to afford a home at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The concept is that parents who will leave an inheritance to their children tend to think about, and plan for this prior to death, and, are entitled to consider it unfair that what they have saved after tax, is going to be taxed again when their children inherit it. I appreciate that you may have the luxury of not being too interested in benefitting from inheritance now, but perhaps when you are older and have something of value to leave to your own children, you will give more consideration to it

• Advertisement

You have a lifetime CAT threshold of 335k. If your parents gift, or bequeath, you a house, worth 335k, then you pay zero tax. Are you getting that part?

I am merely telling you that that limit is there which means that the majority of people won't have to pay much, if any, inheritance tax. I didn't give any opinion on whether that should be lower or higher. Just that it is there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, that's the funny thing about all this which i'm probably going to articulate badly; people talk about inheritance tax not being fair; when as the system stands it's pure chance really whether you're born into a family where it becomes a possibility.

people who have to worry about paying inheritance tax are - under the current system - lucky by definition (the death of a loved one aside).

Because it's not a commercial or financial transaction, that's why not. Just because something has value and changes hands doesn't mean you're entitled to a percentage of it. This is governemnt going beyond it's remit and dictating to private citizens how conduct there affairs.

It’s almost as if you are unaware that a significant number of houses in this country are valued above the CAT threshold.

Edit: I see the post you responded to used an example of a €350k house, sorry.

It's not that tax hasn't been paid on middle class people's savings it's just that they decide to do a bit of the heavy lifting for someone else when they are gone.

it doesn't really change the argument even if we got rid of the threshold. let's say you had to pay 33% tax on the inheritance, full stop.

you've just been given a house where you now have to stump up for a mortgage which is worst case scenario a 33% LTV. you'll get good rates, on a dirt cheap house.

the unfair thing about that would be is that most other people will never get that sort of gift.

I get that people want to create legacy, they want to set their progeny up for success because they have evolved to propagate their genetics as far as possible for as long as possible, this is the genetic competition of life. But as a social agreement, I think it makes sense to shut this down. All it does is further exacerbate inequality of opportunity and actually weakens humanity as a whole. So it's fine people want to be selfish, it's our nature but our society should overcome individual selfishness for the sake of society.

There is one argument against too much inheritance tax that you haven't made but that I agree with. If you have say 100% inheritance tax, it will be bad because as people approach the end of life, they will lose all motivation and maybe degrade or destroy their own business and assets, that's why there is a balance, to keep people invested until the end of their lives.

Ok, so you're not advoacting in terms of inheritance tax. I've been out of Ireland several years, so not sure what CAT rates are - bringing this up a little late in the game to be honest - why didn't you mention it back at the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

When it comes to financial matters, I generally veer towards the right and feel that taxpayers could get better value for what they pay.

However I think that inheritance tax is the most important thing to ensure (as far as it is possible) equal opportunities for all.

Some claim that the deceased's assets have already been taxed; this is true, but over their lifetime they have had the benefits from this taxation - education, healthcare, roads, police, welfare etc.

The inheritor has done nothing whatsoever to earn that money.

Why should they think they have more entitlement than someone with less rich parents. Hopefully they have benefited from their parents' example of sound financial management.

The question remains unanswered: why should I have to take on additional burdens simply to move into a house I already legally own?

The idea - in the midst of a housing crisis - of trying to make it difficult for someone to move into their own property is mindboggling.

• Advertisement

Isn't the point that you don't own the house, you own 66% of the house?

Congrats on the free 66% of a house by the way. Luckily you were born in the right family.

I don't know what you are saying.

I am merely saying that it won't be a big issue for most people. The only people it will be an issue for are those that inherit a large amount. Those people can well afford it and won't get any sympathy from me for whinging

I think you are trying to hard to associate IHT with some form of Darwinism, I doubt most parents think of inheritance as a form of protection of their bloodline. Passing on what you have toiled for isn’t selfish any more than buying what you want to for your children, or paying for their education is. For most parents, society can look after itself, but we want to look after our children. Family first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

The sooner this shithole of a country crashes and burns the better, spend your life working paying your taxes and your way, then leave the family home to your kids and they are taxed to **** on money already paid, I am **** sick of this social welfare state, homeless this and **** that, myself and my parents were supposedly homeless 30 years ago, we went to live in our grannies box room until we could get something else........

I gave you a scenario in which inheritance tax was unfair, you agreed with it.

My final word, again, goes back to my initial assessment: you seem to think most people who inherit are already rich (which is not always the case). And I'm done here - I proved what I set out to prove.

No, you own the house. The government doesn't inherit 33% of the house any more than the government doesn't earn 25% of your income.

Tax is a payment to the state - it's not the State's to begin with.

66% of a house is useless if you simply want to live in it - would you be happy paying rent to live in 66% of a room?

I mean it's not hard for me to associate this with darwinism, you just ended your post with "family first", where do you think that desire comes from?

I'm sure they don't care about society but they have benefitted from it and they are part of it. Society should impose a tax not out of some form of envy or spite but because it is better for society to try as best we can to create equal opportunity for all people so that the competition drives us all to greater output and innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re expected to take on an additional burden because you’re now benefiting from an additional asset. You’re expected to pay tax on based upon the value of the inheritance. The amount of tax you pay (if any), will vary depending upon your relationship to the person you’re inheriting from -

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/capital_taxes/capital_acquisitions_tax.html

When @Dav010 mentioned the Super-wealthy earlier, the reason they pay little in taxes is because most of their wealth is tied up in investments like shares and stocks which provide them with dividends, and they pay tax on that, rather than the original principal amount.

If you leave money or property to someone in your will Revenue don't care about their personal circumstances.

They could be unemployed or have a sick kid but it is all the same to Revenue.

• Advertisement

This is just a guess but perhaps the high inheritance in Ireland might be associated with our relatively low wealth inequality (which is still too high). Surely history(monarchy) shows us how poor heredity is as a system.

Advertisement