Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

Ok, if we accept that research at face value surely it means morally the West shouldn't accept migrants? The West is already rich? We should send migrants to poor countries to boost their economies? Or do starving people in Africa not matter to you?

Or if we question the research we might ask ourselves if the researchers are getting correlation and causation mixed up? We all know the West has got far richer over the last hundreds of years. We also know over the last 50 years the West has received mass immigration. I'd argue the trajectory of economic growth in the West has been clear for two hundred years. The West just gets richer...

To argue that the West has got richer due to immigration seems a poor argument....

I think the West has got rich due to Westerners being good at technological innovation... very little to do with immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I think the West has got rich due to Westerners being good at technological innovation... very little to do with immigration.

Nah, the narrative is we raped the world and stole their wealth. If we didn't Africa would rule the earth, and we'd all be trying to immigrate there for a better life.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You’ve literally given anecdotal evidence that Albania will be joining the EU and are advising to ignore the actual law based on it. The lack of self awareness is astonishing hahaha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well let's forget "tourists" for the moment, though the closing of the jus soli loophole helped there. Let's look at a piece from the Irish Times speaking of the discrimination Black people suffer from in Ireiand. And that's clearly a thing. Only a moron would suggest racism isn't in place. However one result comes to light in the same article:

Sixteen per cent of African nationals living in Ireland were unemployed last year, compared with 7 per cent of Irish and 4 per cent of western Europeans living in the State. Just 45 per cent of African-born nationals have a job.

And we see very similar trends across the EU in every "multicultural" nation out there. Most of which have been multicultural for generations. Again there isn't a single example anywhere where these trends don't play out. Not one. Again there are many reasons for these trends and yep discrimination is right up at the top, but all those countries over all that time with all the different local policies and politics and histories haven't cracked that problem and it's a near certainty we won't either. We're barely a generation into our own version of this western post war sociopolitical experiment and the exact same trends are already here. But let's ignor all that and sing Kum ba yah, diversity and the Irish were migrants too. That'll fix it. Magically.

Actually the horse has long bolted and the stable door is still open. Our own government's mismanagement and incompetence and vested interests making hay has seen to that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Multiculturalism is almost entirely a western politic, born of sops to Black and Brown people post civil rights movements in the US and post war fears of nationalism, post imperial White guilt in Europe and ex imperial nations like France and Britain finding many of their ex "subjects" showing up on their door and they being happy to see them in the post war economic doldrums. As a politic it is pretty much absent beyond the West.

Indeed the very suggestion that a migration of Asians or Europeans to African nations would somehow "improve" their lot would be seen as beyond the Pale. Diversity as strength is always one way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Indeed the very suggestion that a migration of Asians or Europeans to African nations would somehow "improve" their lot would be seen as beyond the Pale. Diversity as strength is always one way.

Because we are "bad" or were "bad", which is a strain of racism that they have no issue with. I remember almost spitting out my coffee watching an episode of Yellowstone one day, when the annoying Indian girl said: "oppressing people is a uniquely European trait" or something along those lines. While many of them wouldn't say it outright, they seem to think that Westerners were born with some sort of sickness in us that makes us more likely to harm others. It's absolute nonsense of course, but they truly believe it, and of course they are excluded from that because they are the "pure" Westerners.

Also, while the defender here a quick to accuse other of believing in "white genocide", which some of us do, I'd put my house on it that if everything was flipped they'd be the ones screaming about genocide.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

Spain has a completely different experience.

Some of the Latino population seem to integrate seamlessly.

Generally speaking those demographics that look and are culturally closer to the native population integrate the easiest. Latinos have the same language, religion and are historically "Spanish" on top so they're seen as less "other". Even so I certainly noticed generalisations and othering of Columbians in Spain.

This has been the case throughout history. So in somewhere like Ireland the kids of say Poles will generally "fit" easier than say the kids of Ghanains.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

"Nah, the narrative is we raped the world and stole their wealth. If we didn't Africa would rule the earth, and we'd all be trying to immigrate there for a better life."

What have the Romans ever done for us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Did we not have people flying in and collecting the dole and going home. That was after they stopped paying into bank accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sixteen per cent of African nationals living in Ireland were unemployed last year, compared with 7 per cent of Irish and 4 per cent of western Europeans living in the State. Just 45 per cent of African-born nationals have a job.

I know it’s only quoting directly from the article, but I take issue with the way it’s actually phrased in the article, because it doesn’t explain where that statistic comes from, and not having a job is not the same as not being counted as part of the labour force.

By way of example I mean if we were to look at a statistic (Principal Economic Status) from the CSO that shows 2.343M people in Ireland make up the labour force in 2019 (people over 15 years of age), 165,000 are unemployed, and of the 848,000 not in the labour force, nearly 350,000 are women looking after home/family. They don’t have a job -

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-wamii/womenandmeninireland2019/work/

Looking at a graph of Principal Economic Status from another ESRI report from around the same time (2018, I couldn’t access the actual report the article is based on), it suggests that of the African population in Ireland (somewhere around 60,000 based on the article), it gives a better picture of what might explain the 47% of the 1.4% of the population who don’t have a job -

https://www.esri.ie/system/files/publications/BKMNEXT369_0%20%281%29.pdf

What I’m getting at is that in terms of multiculturalism and attitudes to family and work and so on, African immigrants attitudes to family and work would be similar to traditional Irish culture than modern Irish culture which is more closely reflected in the attitudes of European immigrants attitudes to family and work.

I’d argue that’s why the same patterns emerge in other countries too as regards the conflict between differing values in different cultures and would explain too why we see the immigrants generally on the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder than at the top which is dominated by the domestic population. I don’t think it’s just straight up racism, as opposed to a whole multitude of prejudice based beliefs based upon stereotypes that go both ways - not just prejudice towards immigrants, but also immigrants prejudice based beliefs about the dominant population.

That’s why I argue that multiculturalism is the end result, not the driving force behind social, economic and cultural integration, and similarly multiculturalism is the end result of conflict between people of different social classes, groups, cultures or backgrounds.

A completely different experience compared to whom? Ireland? Latin Americans in Ireland are mainly from Brazil, whereas Latin Americans in Spain come from a whole plethora of countries, and in the US they come mainly from Mexico -

https://www.britannica.com/topic/list-of-countries-in-Latin-America-2061416

They don’t integrate any more easily in Spain than they do in any other country -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3138504/

Reminds me of the Brazilian chap I was in college with who hardly had a word of English, only spoke Portuguese, but I thought I could help him out as I had a few words of Portuguese (my English isn’t much better 😂). Turned out Brazilian Portuguese very different to European Portuguese. Apparently Brazilian Portuguese is more like Spanish -

Important Note: European Portuguese, which is spoken in Portugal, is very far from Spanish. Brazilian Portuguese, which is spoken in Brazil, sounds much closer to Spanish. Hence, these two are drastically different from each other.

https://thelanguagedoctors.org/is-portuguese-similar-to-spanish/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My god....sickening to read....what kind of animal would do that

how did this not make rte news headlines?!?

Am I missing something, or have they literally not reported on it at all? If you use any of the terms associated with it and "RTE" at the end all that shows up is a case from 2021.

Well yes, they do. I don’t think anyone is disputing that though. What’s disputable are the reasons for why these trends exist in employment, unemployment, and whether they are counted in labour force statistics at all. I’m suggesting that the reasons behind the statistics aren’t just race based, but there are a multitude of influencing factors.

One of the factors is the way in which statistics are presented. In your link for example, they refer to categories such as ‘White’, ‘White Other’, and Asian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi separately. I dunno whether it’s that Pakistan and Bangladesh are still Commonwealth countries that they’re not regarded as Asian, but they are Asian, which also refers to countries such as India and China. I doubt you’d find anyone who would be willing to argue that India and China are ethnically identical 🤨

It’s hardly just a Europe-wide issue either -

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/17/1079181478/us-census-middle-eastern-white-north-african-mena

I’ll bet that while you stuck out like a sore thumb in the Middle East, there were plenty of people who didn’t care that you were an engineer; to them you’re a foreigner, an immigrant, regarded in much the same way as immigrants are regarded across Europe. Their own employment statistics in Arab States are similar to our own, they’re just a much larger population, like 100 times our own -

• In 2018, total unemployment rate in the Arab States registered 7.3 per cent with more than 4 million individuals seeking employment.
    • Excluding the GCC - where large numbers of migrant workers work – the unemployment rate in the Middle East stands at 10.8 per cent, suggesting a particularly critical situation in the non-GCC countries, where political instability, active conflicts and security risks continue to undermine socio-economic development.
    • One in five young men and women were out of work in 2018 in the Arab region, compared to a global youth unemployment rate of 11.8 per cent.
    • The unemployment rate among Arab women is more than twice that of men, registering 15.6 per cent in 2018 compared to a male rate of 5.8 per cent.
    • Labour force participation among women stands at 18.4 per cent relative to 77.2 per cent among Arab men. Interestingly, Arab men’s participation in the labour force is higher than the world average (74.9 per cent) whereas that of Arab women is incomparably lower (global average participation rate of women is 48 per cent).
    • In addition to the 4 million unemployed individuals in the region, there are another 4.5 million persons in the potential labour force: people who are not in employment and a) are looking for a job but not yet available to work (unavailable jobseekers), or b) are available to work but are not looking (available potential jobseekers). This gives a tally of at least 9.5 million underutilized persons in the region, before accounting for those who are under-employed.
    • In terms of quality of employment, it is estimated that more than 8 million workers in the Arab region lived in extreme or moderate poverty in 2018 while vulnerable employment constituted 15.4 per cent of total employment in the region.
    • Informal employment is also relatively high, accounting for more than two thirds of the region’s total employment as of 2016.
    • Comprehensive National Employment policies exist in only 4 countries of the Arab States region, namely Jordan, KSA, Iraq (including the Kurdistan Region of Iraq) and more recently the UAE.

https://www.ilo.org/beirut/areasofwork/employment-policy/lang--en/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Not an ideal time for this court case i would imagine with recent arrivals of asylum seekers in fermoy.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2022/12/04/man-39-charged-with-rape-of-woman-21-found-hypothermic-on-derelict-property-in-co-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Irish times saying he can't be named for legal reasons, guess no one told the other papers that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

What do you mean? I don’t see his name in any of the reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

As of 2016, 16% of African nationals in the Labour Force are unemployed and 45% of African nationals in the overall population (as opposed to the working-age-population, though in the case of African nationals I expect the overall population mirrors the working-age-population) are unemployed. The Labour Force unemployment figures are undesirable for a migrant demographic and the overall population unemployment figures are undesirable for a migrant demographic. To be clear, the inability to participate in the Labour Force is itself an issue in as far as employment and migration are concerned. 

Employment in the overall population of Ireland is often discussed in relation to the undesirability of an ageing indigenous population and the ostensible desirability of an effortlessly employable migrant population - why then is it an issue to recognise that certain migrant demographics, for a multiplicity of cultural and socio-economic reasons, tend to be undesirable from a Labour Force perspective?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Funny that, I don't see him named anywhere.

You know why he can't be named? Because he was charged with rape. No accused can be named in a rape case until a guilty conviction is secured.

Maybe learn what it is you're talking about before spreading stupid conspiracy theories.

Amazing how many times this has to be explained to people.

You’re going to have to elaborate on what you mean by ‘undesirable from a labour force perspective’, and who regards immigrants as such?

That might well explain where the issue stems from, when a person’s ideas for deigning anyone as being of undesirable status in the labour force are based upon their own prejudices and stereotypes about whole groups of people, in order to argue their undesirability.

A reluctance or inability to participate in the Labour Force is undesirable from a Labour Force perspective, it is why indigenous retirees and migrant retirees are undesirable from a Labour Force perspective… as well as African migrants. A demographic of which a considerable proportion appear to be reluctant to participate in the Labour Force (viz. the 45% figure) and of which a considerable proportion of those in the Labour Force appear to be unable to obtain employment (viz. the 16% figure).

Post edited by Geert von Instetten on

What time period in history are you writing from? Do they send young boys up chimneys and young girls to prostitute themselves lest children be regarded as undesirable from a labour force perspective too? 🧐

I’m kidding, but your post reminded me of “Hard Times” and Dickens criticism of Utilitarianism -

https://medium.com/@taieboussayfi/dickens-hard-times-calls-into-question-bentham-s-theory-of-utilitarianism-23c2476b2556

A labour force doesn’t have a perspective, it’s your perspective you’re arguing from, because if you were attempting to be objective, you couldn’t associate a reluctance or inability to participate in the labour force with either retirees… or African migrants.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

I’ll ignore the first part of that comment as I presume it is perfectly clear that recognising that certain demographics are  incapable of participation in the Labour Force is manifestly different from prescribing that they participate in the Labour Force, to suggest otherwise is to indulge in a straw-man argument, which was doubtlessly far from you intention - even though you indulged in it anyway. 

As far as the latter part of the comment is concerned, from a “Labour Force perspective” means from a certain way of considering the issue, in this case, the issue of employment and immigration, as it relates to the Irish Labour Force. The primary purpose of immigration, certainly in as far as it relates to a country with an ageing - and in that respect, undesirable - Labour Force demographic is to bolster the Labour Force by accepting immigrants that are capable of, and committed to, contributing to the Labour Force. 

Immigrant demographics that are either reluctant to participate in the Labour Force or else incapable of participating in the Labour Force are, in that sense, undesirable for the Labour Force. All of this is relatively uncontroversial, there is a reason that those resident in the State on Stamp 0 visas are expected to demonstrate self-sufficiency and a fixed annual income in excess of €50,000 per annum. Essentially, there is a reason that a migrant in employment is preferable, for the Labour Force, compared to a migrant on home duties, in receipt of a One Parent Family payment from the Department of Social Protection. African nationals, unlike American retirees, are exempt from demonstrating independent means, though, considering their Labour Force participation rate, perhaps that ought to be reconsidered… I too am kidding, unfortunately.

And they say Germans have no sense of humour 😁

There’s only one way of defining the labour force Geert, and it isn’t a matter of perspective -

The labour force or workforce or economically active population, also shortened to active population, includes both employed (employees and self-employed) and unemployed people, but not the economically inactive, such as pre-school children, school children, students and pensioners.

It makes no reference to aging, or ethnicity or immigration status or anything else which anyone considers desirable or undesirable or whether anyone determines from their own subjective perspective whether anyone is either capable or incapable of participating in the labour force due to disability or anything else.

Immigration is necessary to fill gaps in the labour force, which is only concerned with availability of labour. There simply doesn’t exist a concept of “immigrant demographics” in the sense that you’re trying to make out that African immigrants don’t want to work.

I do get where you’re coming from that as far as you’re concerned, it’s important in terms of a country’s economic development that the economy have a healthy labour market, but that’s not predicated upon any immigrant demographics either, any more than it isn’t based upon whether an Irish person doesn’t want to participate in the labour force, for whatever their reasons are - they’re just not in the labour force.

https://careersportal.ie/work_employment/labourmarket.php

It’s the responsibility of Government to make the country an attractive prospect for both Irish and immigrants alike in order to achieve economic growth and prosperity. They do that by creating incentives for people to participate in the labour force, by removing barriers to entry as opposed to creating and maintaining barriers to entry so that whether it’s an Irish person or an immigrant on home duties, they are incentivised to enter into employment with the supports necessary to maintain employment in order to promote social mobility for both themselves and their families, thereby reducing their dependency on the State.

That’s uncontroversial too, from my perspective.

The Labour Force refers to those that are employed and those that are unemployed, the Labour Force is primarily composed of the these two simple categories, however it is influenced by demographics; by age, by education level and by migration. An ageing Labour Force is considered a weakening Labour Force development, a youthful Labour Force is considered a strengthening Labour Force development. Demographics have the ability to weaken the Labour Force or strengthen the Labour Force relative to the population.The Labour Force is inextricably connected to the population and to developments in the population, pretending it exists in a vacuum is a facile argument indeed. Ireland has a high Labour Force participation rate, if that were the end of that matter, immigration would be an irrelevancy to Ireland. 

It is the responsibility of the Government to develop the economy for those that are resident in the State, particularly for those that are citizens of the State. Incentivising Labour Force participation is certainly part of this, however, the policy that precedes the Labour Force incentivisation of migrant demographies, is the immigration policy that accepts migrants that have a high probability of contributing to the Labour Force and refuses migrants that have a low probability of contributing to the Labour Force. 55% employment is low indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

It was fine for Rugby players to be outed ? Why is this differant.

• Advertisement

I thought some of the main arguments for mass immigration were "they pay the pensions of Europeans" and "they do the jobs that Europeans dont want to do".

You look at the employment figures for different ethnic groups and they dont really support these claims.

Advertisement