Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformer for Google Doorbell

Options
  • 20-11-2022 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for someone who has installed the Google Hello Doorbell (wired).

I am thinking about getting one as they are currently on sale, and I have been looking at how I would install it.

I currently have a standard wired doorbell and chime that has been installed when the house was first built back in the 1980’s.

From reading around, it appears I will need to swap out the transformer, but I am unable to locate it?

I have searched everywhere; Around the front door, around and underneath the chime, around the fuse box, and even the attic, but to no avail.

Looking at the fuse box - this would hardly be it?

Adding a photo of the chime just for reference:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Post edited by 2011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭spuddy4711

It looks like it’s the one. Same white wires on transformer and chimes. You could isolate it to confirm by switching off its elcb.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭cr-07

Good spot with the wires - didn't even cross my mind to check that! Thanks for that.

Is that what a transformer would look like when not inside of its plastic covering? I'm working off of photos online 😁

Will give it a go this weekend and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Could you not put the transformer by the chime bit?

I just bought a Nest camera but went for the battery one for this just reason.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That is the doorbell transformer alright.

However much more importantly your distribution board requires some urgent attention. My advice would be to get it checked out by a professional urgently.

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

No seeing much aside from the usual issues with that board untidy etc.

Bell trafo and wiring is problematic , no sleeving on bell wire, no cover on trafo

Looks like an instantaneous shower was added no sleeving on CPC, no rcbo fitted at the time of wiring

Exposed copper busbar

Post edited by kirk. on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That busbar is freaking me out just hanging there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You need a doorchime like this (handles up to 16V):

And a transformer like this:

I have a 8/16/24V transformer used at 16V but I don't see it listed anymore, 12V should work.

Most importantly, you need a RECI to do this for you and make your board safe.

That's the same type neozed fuse unit that burnt out in the other thread , they're never tightened properly

I presume RCD was upgraded to a GE 63amp rating when instantaneous shower was added .I think the old Hager may have been a 40 amp.

That shower will be a bad install the way that CPC is connected with no sleeving anyhow

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not seeing much? Seriously? I wouldn't live with that if it were my home, would you?

I'm seeing quite a bit, for example:

1) Those neozed fuse units were recalled as many went on fire. I have replaced a few.

2) The insulation on the neutral looks damaged.

3) Cables are not terminated very well to the neutral or earth bars.

4) Poorly sleeved earths.

5) Debris all over everything, I imagine this would burn quite well.

6) Dodgy busbar.

7) Conductors joined by twisting them together. This can be seen just to the right of the transformer (2nd photo).

I will bet that a proper inspection will result in many more issues being uncovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Agree

along with

no separate rcbo shower

no rcd protection immersion

exposed cables transformer

no fire protection on back of distribution board (I know it’s not mounted on non combustible material)

it’s full of dust/ dirt. I wonder if the cover is missing

looks like a lifestyle meter was previously fitted and removed

Post edited by meercat on

Ya but any judge would throw a lot of that stuff out

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭cr-07

Hi All,

Cheers for the comments, much appreciated!

Unfortunately not an electrician, so didn’t realise all that was wrong, just thought it was old!

I’ll get someone out to take a look at it.

Any of you reckon this will be a major job to fit a new board and re-wire everything?

On a side note: have fitted the new Transformer, and doorbell etc works as expected.

Also, it does have a cover (least of my worries by the sounds of it!)

@ cr-07 back to yuor question: I have Google Hello and I installed exactly the same transformer. Based on adive from others I connected it to the 24V terminals of the transformer. It has performed very well ever since.

I forgot to include that one the immersion on the top row

Still no sleeving on bell wire, probably hardly worth changing it now trafo is fitted

Advertisement