Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭deezell

So getting back to the original point of Dunphy's debut demise, that despite a lifetime of media sneering and 'plank' comments, you'd agree that Kenny had 'it', still has, and Dunphy didn't, and doesn't. The man can cry though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

All I said that when The Dunphy Show premiered over 20 years ago, it might have survived had it aired on Saturday where it would not have had the competition of TLLS or any other RTÉ chat show. You can pick at Pat's Failures as much as Eamonn's and you can also point to their successes.

IMO at the time TV3 didn't really want an kind of expensive programming and the used it as a scapegoat not to make TV.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Dunphy's usp was his adversarial nature, passive aggressive, great for football debates and political rows. He didn't do empathy very well, and he definitely could have done with media training. In RTE way back, even nerdy young engineers would do a training session in program presentation, down in the communications centre in Booterstown hired from the clergy. I did in '78, several days in a studio. Good fun.

I think his crying is the empathy, can cry that much with out empathy. Unlikely RTÉ run much training now.

______

Yesterday

Agreed, but even as far back as the noughties, you'd have to go to the Bunny Carr school if you were aspiring to host a show. I can't imagine Eamonn doing that. He was just dropped straight into it, and it showed.

• Advertisement

I did the Bil Keating course should I apply now ! get my own show ! He sadly passed away a month or so ago.

______

Yesterday

Yoy could. Anyone can be a star now with Tick toc and YouTube, make a good living too. Still, a lot of the successful ones could do better with even a little technical and presentation training. Get that right and you could change tyres or cut grass to camera and be a 'sensation', if that's the right term. Andy Warhol was right as it turns out, 'Everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

I've read the listings for VM4 and I think: What the hell is the point of that channel?!

It's watched for the same reason people climb Everest, because its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I've tried to keep track of their listings, but literally every day is different. There is no pattern to the listings.

Have noticed though that there is a big change when a new month occurs. If you take a look at 30th Nov to 1st Dec, a number of programmes or certain series of shows stop. Biggest & Baddest, The Chase USA amongst a few. Which makes me believe its a way to squeeze out every last inch of a show before they lose the rights.

• Advertisement

VM schedule strategy.

In the event of VM1-2 leftovers, copy them to VM4 disk.

In the event if shortage, press repeat on VM4 disk.

Don't forget to press 'Shuffle' button, and close door on way back to VM1

They're showing a lot of Six Nations Rugby from 2022 in full, and then classic ones from over the past 20 years. Highlights from the Autumn Rugby games, Sport Stories repeats, ROI football highlights. So really it's another VM More daytime which has the sports highlights & archive stuff.

They did actually have a new Irish production on it yesterday - The Travel Show. (They really need to get more imaginative with these names). By Ed Finn, he's done a few Northern Ireland specials for them in the past few years. Not sure if UTV show them as well. https://www.sofftproductions.com/recent-work/the-travel-show

VMMore are showing some new British drama's this week - Four Lives, The Walk-In and Suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think there is a bit of copycatting going on here. The name "The Travel Show" is also a name of a travel related programme on BBC World News as well. It is also screened on BBC News Channel within the UK.

How does WWTBAM retain its audience and how do they get away with it repeating every weekend... perhaps this weekend was a new series, I am kind of lost. Has it ever taken a break on VMTV one?

______

Yesterday

It was a new episode on Sunday, there's a few celebrity versions left from the newer series that have to still air on VMTV.

I think it does pretty well in the ratings, oddly enough, even for those which are repeated constantly. Remember the days when the Sunday 9pm movie premiere on TV3 used to be a thing. Long gone are those times

I don't think VMTV have the movies for a big movie slot on Sunday and haven't in the last 15 or so years.

Sunday and Wednesday nights a by-gone era.

______

Yesterday

First fully month (October) they are at 0.57% !

______

Yesterday

VM More airing ITVX programming like Tell Me Everything and Litvinenko over the coming days. These are programmes that haven't aired on ITV yet, but launched on their new streaming service in the past week.

Saorview and VM viewers are important IMO, not sure how realistic that is as a gauge but it is what we have.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Will he be replaced? The random program selector is doing an acceptable job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Which proves that either that stats are unreliable, or that some people will literally watch any old rubbish. Probably a mix of both.

Or that VMTV have found its market? It could be that VMTV as a "group" (like I suppose "the TV3 Group" if you want) is only ever going to average between 18 and 20% of the audience.

VMT Total

• Oct 18.84% (with FOUR)
    • Sept 19.27% (with FOUR)
    • Aug 19.89%
    • July 19.89%
    • June 20.71%
    • May 17.74%
    • Apr 17.95%
    • Mar 17.95%
    • Feb 18.88% (with SPORT)
    • Jan 17.80% (with SPORT)

MORE is not provided.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Which suggests VM4 is cannibalising some of the VM2 and/or VM3 market share.

Irish TV channels tend to cannibalise themselves. 45% - 50% of the audience move between the Irish Channels, if RTÉ2 has a good month most likely it is reflected in a bad month for VMTV channels, if VMTV ads 1% RTÉ ONE sees a slight drop.

The highest audience share for Irish TV channels was in Nov 2020 with 49.65% share of the audience the lowest was in July 2015 with 41.77%.

Going back to UTV Ireland, even with plans for other content it was only ever going to eat into what little audience Irish channels had, with perhaps some retention for UTV proper audience, which by 2014 had dwindled to about 2 to 3% of the audience share in any given month.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Finally a good move from Virgin Media Television.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Out of interest is ITVX available in ROI without a VPN?

I had ITV Hub running on a browser, and the ITV player app for android TV on my Sony. I just checked my phone at half time, ITVX worked directly from the the itv.com page, I logged in using my previous itv hub registration. Programs streamed.

IIRC, it was not possible to get live streams, only catchup on the TV app versions of the ITV Hub app or the other thing, Youview, unless your TV could tune in ITV terrestrial at least once. I assume this is still the case. I'm using DNS redirection, which doesn't require a VPN data subscription, just a smaller fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I was watching the tv channel Challenge (don’t ask) but Virgin Media are advertising the virgin player on that today. Haven’t noticed them advertise on other channels before

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It maybe the case that Challenge TV is on the VM EPG with Irish ads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

It does have Irish ads but I just thought it was strange VM player was being advertised on other channels. It was advertising rupaul's drag race , G Norton, the soaps etc You’d never see the RTÉ player advertised outside of RTÉ channels

Advertisement